2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 Spy Shots

Search this Thread

Old 12/20/12, 06:40 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thePill
Here's one for direct injection, don't know of its 5.0, 3.5, 2.0??? However, this patent was applied for in October 2007 and then a continuation in Jul 2011... and again in Oct. I actually think I first seen the DI worksheet on this website.

http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/pat...-20120807.html
I almost forgot about the "bobcat".. that's actually a more evolved version of a truck engine that would use separate gas and alcohol injectors in the same engine to produce incredible torque when neeeded..
it's exciting to know it's still being developed.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/06...el-engine.html
Old 12/22/12, 07:23 PM
V6 Member

Can I get an ID on this Direct Injection patent. It was filed in Oct 2007 (around the Coyote development timeframe). It was just published in October. This looks like the awesome Bobcat technology B-Fox was talking about. Its incredible how much room an OHC has. Dual injectors? Really? Tuners are gonna love this! I am getting a little guidance on patent searches, this still doesn't mean any of these are Mustang related. It could very well mean these have NOTHING to do with any production vehicles at all which is why I'm being pointed to these.
http://www.google.com/patents?id=wPU...page&q&f=false

I keep seeing patents for the Electric/Hydraulic Variable Valves. Anybody against a "Camless" 5.0? Any guesses how much parasitic losses 4 cams sap? Imagine an internal combustion engine with full electric support. Electric heads, AC, Fans, Alternator and eventually FI. With advancements in direct gasoline injection, Ford will soon patent direct fuel injection. Being capable of maximizing fuel pressure with an injector... An electric miniature supercharger for every cylinder with NO intake or cams.

Caution: Patent Surfing can be hazardous to your mental health.

Last edited by thePill; 12/22/12 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12/23/12, 07:11 PM
V6 Member

looks like more bobcat stuff, two injectors one for gas one for alcohol.

full electric/hydraulic valve control could very well be the future of engine technology. But for now there are at least three large obstacles: Durability; a roller cam and spring outlast any electric part nowadays. Packaging; getting something powerful enough to do so and fit under a valve cover doesn't sound easy. And Cost, it would cost a fortune to build a 24 valve engine with expensive actuators on each, or at least, every pair of valves. but I heard of the concept like 7 years ago so i'm sure there are protoypes out there by now and I expect we could see them being produced within the next decade if cafe standards stay on this ski ramp.
Old 12/24/12, 09:07 AM
V6 Member

Speaking of next gen spy shots. The C7 diagrams were leaked here..

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...e-leaked-again

Ford needs to keep a close eye on the Corvette's reception. They too are messing with a classic and are slaves to their own success. It needs to evolve but not alienate. Not sure if a Vette or Mustang designer is the best job out there right now.

Last edited by thePill; 12/24/12 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12/24/12, 09:34 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Not liking what I see so far, with the C7. Those rear lights are horrible and if it loses the rear clamshell glass hatch, well............

S550's design will be locked down by now, so there will be very little they could change. I'll worry about that when I see similar shots of it
Old 12/24/12, 04:53 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Not liking what I see so far, with the C7. Those rear lights are horrible and if it loses the rear clamshell glass hatch, well............

S550's design will be locked down by now, so there will be very little they could change. I'll worry about that when I see similar shots of it
I'm reserving my judgement on the C7 until I see it in person.

I believe the lock down claim came last September, that means they are pretty confident they are about to cause an uproar. J wants awards and the entire team deserves one. On another note, these guys could scrap the entire finished concept and have another completely different concept, ready to show and test by July 2013.

I know nobody wants to hear "do it again". It's possible they have a few designs on deck just in case a real 1972 happens again.

Possible? Yes. Probable? No...

I HOPE we get to see ALL the proposed designs after its all said and done. Not going to happen though, some design ques could be used later on or... adopted by Chevrolet for the 2017 Camaro.
Old 12/26/12, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

C7 looks badass, actually.
Old 12/26/12, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rando
Correction:

C7 looks like azz, actually.

Well, perhaps not that horrible, but it really is an stylistic mashup of past and current performance car cliches that is more interesting that actually good. A real salad of a lot of individually interesting bits tossed into the design hopper. Definitely looks more like a design committee piece than a singular, unified vision coming from a single mind and it appears everyone on that committee did have their say, unfortunately for the final result.

Let's hope the 2015 Mustang had a stronger unifying vision to come up with a more cohesive design.

Last edited by rhumb; 12/26/12 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12/26/12, 12:38 PM

I have to agree, I like it!
Old 12/26/12, 12:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

I kinda like the tailights. Not so boring as the current ones.
Old 12/26/12, 02:36 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
Correction:

Well, perhaps not that horrible, but it really is an stylistic mashup of past and current performance car cliches that is more interesting that actually good. A real salad of a lot of individually interesting bits tossed into the design hopper. Definitely looks more like a design committee piece than a singular, unified vision coming from a single mind and it appears everyone on that committee did have their say, unfortunately for the final result.

Let's hope the 2015 Mustang had a stronger unifying vision to come up with a more cohesive design.
This! This! This!!
Old 12/26/12, 04:06 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Heres the Ecoboost 5.0!!! The turbos are in the valley and not straddling the transmission. Oh well, I was wrong... EU-01 failed... Long live the Cobra Jet. http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/pat...-20120403.html
That is not the Ecoboost 5.0, that's for the 6.7 Diesel.
Old 12/27/12, 08:06 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can anyone identify this center console? http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/pat...-20120501.html
That is the Lincoln MKT console.
Another cup holder console patent. Now we can hold our drinks... Published in Aug.
http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/pat...-20121204.html
That is a F150 console.
Anti-wheel hop technology for all you drag racers. Another form a AdvanceTrac. http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/pat...-20120612.html I like this idea... This is being designed strictly for the Nextang.
That is definitely for a 4 wheel drive pickup truck.
Old 12/28/12, 07:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Correction:

You're thinking about it too much. I'm a huge Corvette fan and I've been sick of them churning out the same body style since 1997. This is a long over due style change.
Old 12/28/12, 08:21 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Knight
That is not the Ecoboost 5.0, that's for the 6.7 Diesel.
I just looked at the Cobra Jet's twin turbo and this is not it. The "dual" turbo was designed (or stolen from a sleeping GM) to apply it across the lineup. The EU-01 Twin Turbo and Cobra Jet Twin Turbo seems like a much heavier design. In the valley Dual Turbo's look like a lighter, more efficient design for V engines.

Valley Turbo's were (according to Jim "Number3" was GM's idea. However, in usual GM fashion, they decided to implant their thumb into their rear... While Ford perfected(and patented) the valley turbo.

Once the worksheets are published, Ford usually spreads the tech across the lineup. Plasma Transferred Wire Arc is something all engines will have soon. Ford was co-inventor of the year in 2009 for that patent. Meanwhile, GM designs another pushrod V8.

Last edited by thePill; 12/28/12 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12/28/12, 08:38 AM

You're thinking about it too much. I'm a huge Corvette fan and I've been sick of them churning out the same body style since 1997. This is a long over due style change.
Well, yeah, if I shut my mind down and don't think about it, and avert my eyes a bit too, then the C7 is the pinnacle of modern automotive design.

However, and this coming from a fellow Vette admirer, I can't readily shut down my mind and have to look at the thing at some point and thus, I stand by my comments.

While, as mentioned, I readily agree with the concept of a thorough update of the Vette design language -- I think that's a fantastic idea that is in fact long overdue -- that doesn't neccesarily mean that any new design is great simply by dint of being new and different and I feel this particular design execution is lacking in its actual execution.

Yes, it's new.

Yes. it's different, at least from previous Vettes though fairly derivative of many current designs.

No, it is not a great design.
Old 12/28/12, 08:49 AM

I just looked at the Cobra Jet's twin turbo and this is not it. The "dual" turbo was designed (or stolen from a sleeping GM) to apply it across the lineup. The EU-01 Twin Turbo and Cobra Jet Twin Turbo seems like a much heavier design. In the valley Dual Turbo's look like a lighter, more efficient design for V engines.

Valley Turbo's were (according to Jim "Number3" was GM's idea. However, in usual GM fashion, they decided to implant their thumb into their rear... While Ford perfected(and patented) the valley turbo.

Once the worksheets are published, Ford usually spreads the tech across the lineup. Plasma Transferred Wire Arc is something all engines will have soon. Ford was co-inventor of the year in 2009 for that patent. Meanwhile, GM designs another pushrod V8.
BMW, and I think some other Euro makers, are also going the turbo in the valley route too with their gas V8s. BMW's have "reverse flow" heads where the exhaust ports exit into the valley while the intakes are on the outside of the V.

That Ford would also package the turbos in the valley of the 5.0 would make a lot of packaging sense, even if they don't go the full reverse-flow route. I think one of the issues floating about implementing a TT 5.0 were packaging issues with the Mustang's engine bay and the T in the V would certainly solve this.

As for the TT Cobra Jet, I think that's just a one-off, or at least non-streetable, conception, what with the turbos way down in the bumper areas, IIRC.
Old 12/28/12, 12:09 PM
V6 Member

This thread needs more speculative images! Oh, here is one......

Old 12/28/12, 01:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

BMW, and I think some other Euro makers, are also going the turbo in the valley route too with their gas V8s. BMW's have "reverse flow" heads where the exhaust ports exit into the valley while the intakes are on the outside of the V.

That Ford would also package the turbos in the valley of the 5.0 would make a lot of packaging sense, even if they don't go the full reverse-flow route. I think one of the issues floating about implementing a TT 5.0 were packaging issues with the Mustang's engine bay and the T in the V would certainly solve this.

As for the TT Cobra Jet, I think that's just a one-off, or at least non-streetable, conception, what with the turbos way down in the bumper areas, IIRC.
I think the biggest takeaway for us 2015 rumor hounds is that they have a test and learn platform for the engine management system on a TT 5.0
Old 12/28/12, 08:12 PM
V6 Member

I don't think we will see ecoboost 5.0L's, the whole point of ecoboost is to allow the use of smaller more fuel efficient engines that can produce ample torque when needed, a V8 makes more than enough toque on its own and isn't really ideal on fuel economy. It doesn't fit into the ecoboost branding, I could see the direct injection technology trickle in, but packaging turbos on a V8 in the new narrower engine bay sounds unlikely..

and the day ford slips direct injectors into a V8 mustang cylinder head the aftermarket parts market is going to be turned upside down.. power adders need bigger injectors and bigger direct injectors are not likely to be cheap.

Quick Reply: 2015 Spy Shots