Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Retrofitting the 4.2 LCD Track Apps cluster

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/17, 04:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jim010
Yes, I had that issue, and I did make the PCM go back to my proper VIN without losing everything.

But I no longer remember what I had to do. I think all I did was when the VCM asked if it was the right VIN, I said no and input the proper VIN. Been a long time, so memory is hazy.
I will try it when the snow clears up, but I think the last time I tried that it wanted to download files for the pcm after I tried to change it. So any info you can give me would be appreciated.

And off topic a bit, when I install my nav unit will it have the vin of the car I got the unit out of or will it match the vin stored in my PCM?

If not is this something a ford dealer can program or would I need to send the unit somewhere?
Old 1/26/17, 07:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by awoychosky123
I will try it when the snow clears up, but I think the last time I tried that it wanted to download files for the pcm after I tried to change it. So any info you can give me would be appreciated.

And off topic a bit, when I install my nav unit will it have the vin of the car I got the unit out of or will it match the vin stored in my PCM?

If not is this something a ford dealer can program or would I need to send the unit somewhere?
It will have the VIN of the PCM.

LEXiiON
The following users liked this post:
awoychosky123 (1/26/17)
Old 1/26/17, 08:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
It will have the VIN of the PCM.

LEXiiON
Thank you LEXiiON, I should have my nav finished and in tomorrow, I can't wait!
Old 1/26/17, 09:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Interesting. My nav kept the VIN of the car it came out of and I can't change it.

If you have the same issue as me, United Radio in new Jersey can take care of it
Old 1/27/17, 06:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just got the nav unit in and powered for the first time, my radio displays my fake vin im using in the PCM. I just need to figure out how to switch that vin to my real vin now.
Old 1/28/17, 01:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

I got the vin numbers all matching now. It required me to input my real vin when it goes through its initial confirmation when you first connect to the car, then when you go to do the as-built for the abs module, you need to change that vin out for the 2013-14 of your choice, then reflash the pcm. or thats what I had to do anyway.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention my radio updated to my correct vin after the reprograming, I don't know why yours isn't doing that Jim.

Last edited by awoychosky123; 1/28/17 at 01:20 PM.
Old 1/28/17, 01:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

What ids version are you running?
Old 1/28/17, 03:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

What ids version are you running?
V90.1 But the the seller I bought it from cracked the software using a virtual machine. And mine expires every hour or so, so I have to keep extracting the files.

Plus I can't connect to internet with it so I have to manually download any and all files.
Old 1/29/17, 08:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by awoychosky123
I got the vin numbers all matching now. It required me to input my real vin when it goes through its initial confirmation when you first connect to the car, then when you go to do the as-built for the abs module, you need to change that vin out for the 2013-14 of your choice, then reflash the pcm. or thats what I had to do anyway.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention my radio updated to my correct vin after the reprograming, I don't know why yours isn't doing that Jim.
Can you please describe that again, step by step? I still have the "wrong" VIN in my PCM, and would like to get it back to the old one. I have to admit, it never bothered me, except recently with the Sync 4.6 update, as I can#t upload the XML for a successful update.

Thanks,

LEXiiON
Old 1/29/17, 04:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

So your car's VIN displays on the nav screen in the info section?

My pcm reads as the proper VIN on ids.

Last edited by jim010; 1/29/17 at 04:37 PM.
Old 1/30/17, 12:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

I will try to explain the process the best I can.

Big info drop inbound!

So once you have ids pulled up and have plugged into the car, you should start a new session. The VCM will show a pop up showing your vehicle specs in LEXiiON’s case it should say 5.8L emissions 50 states transmission etc. Confirm this is correct. Next page will show the VIN of the car you used to get everything working, in other words the vin that didn't come with your car.

You want to highlight this and override it with your actual vin. After that click the checkmark to continue. The next page should so you the correct vin and the correct car specs.

Next go to module programing in the main menu of IDS. The go to as-built. Select ABS. It will then tell you that this programing goes through a vin process, agree to that and you should be at a screen to confirm your vin. It will say the wrong vin again. You will want to put in your 2010-12 vin. Next it will bring you through the as-built programing I entered 117A I believe for my as built but check with the as-built sheet for whatever 13-14 vin you are using as you need to use that as-built value. If all went okay it will say that programing was successful and that the PCM does not match the vin of other modules and that the pcm requires programing.

Next go back to module programing, then Programmable Module Installation. From there select PCM. Then it will tell you it needs to download files. (it's worth noting that my vcm can not connect to the internet so I had to go download every file individually but it did ask for 2013 files.) Download then either manually or through the internet, then it will ask you that it needs to retrieve backup as-built info for the car, and gives you the option for either downloading them or you uploading them manually. What I did was I took the 2013 .ab file and edited it with my 2012 vin (I believe it was the name of the file and inside the file.) So I had put 2 .ab files in my configuration files folder. One was the standard 2013 .ab the other was the renamed and edited 2013 .ab (I did this to ensure it would take the 2013 data instead of 2012 data, as well as making sure the pcm would take the right vin.) next it went through the process successfully and I went to clear DTC codes.

When I was in the car I noticed I had a service advancetrac error, and other symptoms relating to the abs module. So I figured I had royally F***ed myself. So I went back and started a new session, Made sure that the vin in the initial startup screen was my 2012 vin and then I went back to module programming, and went back to as-built, then back to abs. From here when it asked me to confirm my vin I put in my 2013 vin I was using. Then continued the the reflash, and used my same 117A code as before.

It flashed successfully and told me my PCM had the wrong vin again, but I ignored this and proceeded to Clear DTCs and then for good measure I went to check the car and sure enough everything was working again and my nav now showed the correct vin. So just to make sure that the VCM was reading the right number out of the PCM I started a new session and waited to see the vin confirmation screen, and sure enough it had grabbed my correct 2012 vin from the PCM.

At this point I just unplugged everything and called it a great success. I took the car out for a test drive today, Everything worked flawlessly, The trackapps all worked, advanctrac sport mode worked, and all the PCM functions were working. So I kept all 2013 functionality. And even got my nav working (turns out system relies heavily on dead reckoning and I had to have the car driving down a main road in plain satellite sight before it updated to my correct location)

I would say that you could probably save some time by when you first reflash the abs module just use the 2013 vin for the abs vin verification, then continue on with the instructions. But I gave you the full list of what I did to get mine flawless.

I hope you will find this useful LEXiiON and anyone else who wants to get their vin number back.

Jim, if you want you could make a condensed version of this and add it to the front page so people doing this will be aware that there is a fix for the vin problem.
Old 1/30/17, 12:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

So your car's VIN displays on the nav screen in the info section?

My pcm reads as the proper VIN on ids.
Yes my 2012 vin I just fixed now displays on my nav's info screen, where you would find the info needed to order map updates (Which I think I need I'm on Version 6) When I first put the system in, it displayed the 2013 vin I had in the car, After I did the described fix the radio started displaying my 2012 Vin after letting the radio power down and powering back up again.
Old 1/30/17, 01:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Can you please describe that again, step by step? I still have the "wrong" VIN in my PCM, and would like to get it back to the old one. I have to admit, it never bothered me, except recently with the Sync 4.6 update, as I can#t upload the XML for a successful update.

Thanks,

LEXiiON
Hell I can't even update to 4.6 it gets stuck at the first install complete but never reboots on my nav sync
Old 2/1/17, 05:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just ordered my new LCD cluster, 4way switch, vcm2/IDS and a old Toughbook with xp this is going to be a long week cant wait to get started.
-Phil
Old 2/6/17, 12:52 PM

I know this thread is all but dead but I still need to try .

Ok so all the parts arrived today, my question is once I perform the pats relearn on the new cluster will the old cluster still start the car or would I need to do a relearn on old luster if I needed to go back to the old cluster for some reason?
-Phil
Old 2/6/17, 01:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Once yo0u have done the PATS, you need to do a parameter reset. With that, the old cluster will not work anymore. You would have to do a parameter reset in the PATS menu to get the old cluster running again (not the whole procedure, as the keys are still saved in the cluster).

LEXiiON
Old 2/8/17, 06:45 PM

so just a parameter reset on the old cluster and it will be good to go... sweet always helps to gave a back up lol
Old 2/19/17, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well - I am stuck in the process - hope it went better for you Marl_Boro...

In following the instructions on page one for the cluster swap into a 2012 - I'm supposed to add new pins to spot 3 and spot 11 on the dash side connector of the clock spring that are spliced into the 2 wires on the back of the cluster...
This is the existing from the factory clock spring plug (dash side)...

Clearly slot 3 and 11 are populated... so I'm not sure what next. I just ordered a 2012 wiring schematics book, and I have an extra clock spring - so I'm gonna multimeter the empty pin locations and see if they are just pass throughs... I suppose I can use them and just change things steering wheel side...

Anyone have any thoughts before I deviate off the known good path?
Old 2/19/17, 08:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

I am pretty sure you have the wrong connector.

LEXiiON
The following users liked this post:
fishpick (2/19/17)
Old 2/19/17, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I am pretty sure you have the wrong connector.

LEXiiON

Well I'll be dipped - I do!

I pulled the TOP of the plastic off the steering column and that's the connector I grabbed... you need to drop the bottom off and the there is the connector I SHOULD have been using...

THIS is why I usually NEVER touch electrical.

LEXiiON - I have no idea who you are or where you are from - but... I'm putting you in for Sainthood...

One thing is for sure - I'll be back with more stupid questions

Quick Reply: Retrofitting the 4.2 LCD Track Apps cluster