Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

kenwood double din dash kit

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/13, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColSaulTigh
Your buddy doesn't have his wires connected to the correct wires (or cut them instead of soldering in-line) on the OBD-II port. These work just fine with my car as well as my buddy's that I just did today.

Have him double-and-triple check he's connected the right wires from the Maestro to the OBD-II wire.
He tapped the wires. It doesn't make since though why it will show tire pressure and voltage and door ajar warnings, but not the gauges.
Old 10/20/13, 12:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awww I don't feel special anymore
Old 10/20/13, 04:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kenshyn
He tapped the wires. It doesn't make since though why it will show tire pressure and voltage and door ajar warnings, but not the gauges.
One of the taps isn't sitting correctly. I GUARANTEE that if he pulls the taps, strips insulation back off the BLUE/WHITE & WHITE wires on the OBD-II port, and SOLDERS the Yellow & Brown wires (on the correct OBD-II wires), it will work perfectly.

I've done enough installs to know - something isn't connected right. Don't try to apply system logic (this works, therefor that should work) - it doesn't work like that.

TPMS, for example, is fed off a different interface than OBD-II, as are door sensor (FYI).
Old 10/20/13, 04:37 PM
Bullitt Member

One of the taps isn't sitting correctly. I GUARANTEE that if he pulls the taps, strips insulation back off the BLUE/WHITE & WHITE wires on the OBD-II port, and SOLDERS the Yellow & Brown wires (on the correct OBD-II wires), it will work perfectly.

I've done enough installs to know - something isn't connected right. Don't try to apply system logic (this works, therefor that should work) - it doesn't work like that.

TPMS, for example, is fed off a different interface than OBD-II, as are door sensor (FYI).
maybe he didnt do the relearn on it to work with it. I had to enable an option that allows access to the gauges and all that good stuff.
Old 10/20/13, 09:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jdub2k5
maybe he didnt do the relearn on it to work with it. I had to enable an option that allows access to the gauges and all that good stuff.
The "relearn" only affects the steering wheel button functions. The Gauge info comes directly from OBD-II via the Cam H and Cam L wires connected to the Maestro Yellow and Brown wires. There are no settings to disable gauge input, only WHICH gauges display.

I'm 99% sure it's a wiring problem...either Cam H and Cam L are backwards, or one (or both) aren't tapped properly. I'd be willing to put money on it.
Old 10/21/13, 12:48 AM

Haha all right, thanks. We'll look into it
Old 10/21/13, 12:52 PM
GT Member

The "relearn" only affects the steering wheel button functions. The Gauge info comes directly from OBD-II via the Cam H and Cam L wires connected to the Maestro Yellow and Brown wires. There are no settings to disable gauge input, only WHICH gauges display.

I'm 99% sure it's a wiring problem...either Cam H and Cam L are backwards, or one (or both) aren't tapped properly. I'd be willing to put money on it.
Thanks for helping me out. I agree with your suggestion 100%. Sounds like the OBDII wires are incorrectly wired or intermittent.

12V Guy

Last edited by 12v Guy; 10/21/13 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10/21/13, 01:04 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jdub2k5
congrats. I got mine working and now I love it even more.

I had mine reprogrammed and everythings perfect.

Glad to hear this!!! BTW, we are working on a solution for the inability to adjust the fan speed when on the phone. NO promises on delivery date, but soon.

Here are details:

1. Added feature called Auto Fan Down On Call. You can turn this feature on/off in the Settings Menu in Climate. When call comes in, fan goes to speed 2 automatically.

2. Climate button on the button bar will toggle between your current fan speed and speed=2. This works if you have the feature above on or off.

3. Added Fan up and down buttons in the Sync Phone GUI. We had to delete JOIN to do this, but if you have two calls active, Fan Up will become JOIN automatically. Unfortunately, we cannot do this in the Kenwood phone screen as we can't put custom buttons there.

Will post here when we push this update.

Cheers,

12V Guy
Old 10/21/13, 02:41 PM
GT Member

Hi,

See below. In addition to the possible mis-wiring of OBDII there is another possibility.

Two issues:
1) Pandora app won't play music. Phone and radio show it's actually playing, but no sound comes through. Phone is Samsung Galaxy S4. If we go to Sync BY Media, it plays fine, but then you can't control Pandora through the head unit like you would if you went through the Pandora app itself.
This may be a Kenwood issue. Make sure you are on latest FW for radio. Sync BT streaming will play Pandora and you should be able to use the Seek up button to skip up.

2) Gauges display doesn't work. The only thing I can think it might be is that his car has a tune in it, which is accessed through the OBD2 port obviously. Can anyone confirm that is the reason why the gauge display doesn't work? We triple checked the wiring and everything is right. Tire pressure, voltage, and door ajar warnings work like they should, just not the gauges.
If your tune asks like a scan tool on the OBDII wires, we will disable our communication. We do this so that when you take car for service you will not have any issues. To verify it this is the issue, go into the gauges screen and look at the top. If it says "OBDII Communication Disabled" it is because of the tune. However, if you go into settings and choose ODBII Communication, you can set it to ALWAYS ENABLED and your issue will go away. Remember to go in and disable it for service.

Cheers,
Old 10/21/13, 06:46 PM
V6 Member

Hi 12V Guy,

I think the tune issue brings up a good point that could use some guidance/confirmation.

For example:
1. What "configuration/setting" should be used when loading a tune with a Tuner thru OBD-II (i.e. SCT, etc..) Disabled?
2. What setting when just running with a tune (Always Enabled?)
3. What setting when re-loading the Stock tune and taking in for service (Disabled?)

Can you confirm above or advise?

Thanks!
Old 10/22/13, 07:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2014DIB
Hi 12V Guy,

I think the tune issue brings up a good point that could use some guidance/confirmation.

For example:
1. What "configuration/setting" should be used when loading a tune with a Tuner thru OBD-II (i.e. SCT, etc..) Disabled? [ColSaulTigh - Yes, DISABLED for LOADING/READING using a Tuner/Datalogger]
2. What setting when just running with a tune (Always Enabled?) [ColSaulTigh - Either Auto or Always Enabled is fine.]
3. What setting when re-loading the Stock tune and taking in for service (Disabled?) [ColSaulTigh - Yes, DISABLED when LOADING/CHANGING a tune, or using any kind of datalogger]

Can you confirm above or advise?

Thanks!
See above.
Old 10/22/13, 08:17 AM
Bullitt Member

12 Volt Guy, I have a question:

Currently (or in the future, will) does the "Parking Assist" feature work with the Kenwood DNN-series radios, Maestro product, and a "Parking Assist" featured Mustang? I just installed this combination over the weekend, and the Parking Assist feature still shows grayed out.

Thanks
Old 10/22/13, 08:51 AM
GT Member

Parking assist in not on the CAN bus in Ford, except a message to mute the radio, which we already process to mute your radio when the sensors are beeping. This screen is enabled in GM's and VW's which have the entire system on the CAN network.

Sorry man, we can't make things work that are not on the bus...

Cheers,
Old 10/22/13, 11:27 AM

All right, so he took the taps off, stripped back the insulation on the wires and wired the wires exactly how they should be, and the gauges still don't work. Everything else works exactly the way it should except the gauge screen.

He has a Brenspeed Tune via a handheld SCT Tuner. Here's a picture of what the gauge screen looks like; notice it says OBD II Disabled, and notice the weird characters below the top right gauge.

It says OBD II Disabled even though in the settings it is set to Always Enabled..

So what suggestions do you guys have now?
Old 10/22/13, 01:36 PM
Bullitt Member

All right, so he took the taps off, stripped back the insulation on the wires and wired the wires exactly how they should be, and the gauges still don't work. Everything else works exactly the way it should except the gauge screen.

He has a Brenspeed Tune via a handheld SCT Tuner. Here's a picture of what the gauge screen looks like; notice it says OBD II Disabled, and notice the weird characters below the top right gauge.

It says OBD II Disabled even though in the settings it is set to Always Enabled..

So what suggestions do you guys have now?
Actually, it says "OBDII Disconnected" not "Disabled".

What firmware is the radio running? You can always try re-flashing the firmware to see if that helps...
Old 10/22/13, 03:45 PM

Actually, it says "OBDII Disconnected" not "Disabled".

What firmware is the radio running? You can always try re-flashing the firmware to see if that helps...
Disconnected is what I meant..
It's running the newest and latest I'm sure as we hooked it up to the internet before we installed it to download the necessary files...
Old 10/22/13, 06:22 PM

I dont remeber reading this in your comments but can you hook the SCT or another code reader to the OBD connector and connect with the car OK?

Looks like your H/U is a DNN990HD correct? If so you can verify your software loaded in the menu screen, should be at least 1.2 but the 1.3 version is out which I have loaded.

Don't know if any of this will help but may give the smarter than me folks some info to better help you with. I hope your able to get this worked out.
Old 10/22/13, 06:24 PM

Sorry, I was just able to see you have the DNX890HD.
Old 10/22/13, 09:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Disconnected is what I meant..
It's running the newest and latest I'm sure as we hooked it up to the internet before we installed it to download the necessary files...
1) Disconnected and Disabled are two different things - are you sure in the settings menu OBD-II is Enabled?

2) Firmware is flashed via USB, not by internet. Also, the DNX890HD does not connect to the internet. The DNN990HD connects to the internet. How did you connect your radio to the internet?
Old 10/22/13, 10:15 PM
V6 Member

For those of you that have already performed an install, suggestions on where to place the Maestro RR (required with the new Dash Kit), and perhaps also a SiriusXM SXV200 module? Definitely want to avoid rattles/noises after the install. Also - may need to be able to get to Maestro RR for periodic updates with PC?

Dash Kit arrived today - looks fantastic and completely agree with others - perfect match on the color/finish! At the moment - only wish was could replace the Rear Defog button on the far right with Max AC - almost required year round in Houston! Suspect there may be more "wish list items" - but - initial impression is - was worth the wait! Great job ADS!

Plan to go with DNX 890HD, and add on a back up camera as well.

Quick Reply: kenwood double din dash kit