Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

kenwood double din dash kit

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/13, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terryq82
So if I'm reading correctly the AC settings are controlled through the stereo with this...... Also I have just the base model 2012 mustang (no sync, no Nav, no steering wheel audio controls) and I'm wondering what harnesses I'm needing. I basically like the faceplate of the install kit. Only one I have found that lifts the h/u up away from the bottom of the dash. Can you point me in the right direction?
I'm not sure you can use this adapter without sync but don't take my word for it. You can call Crutcfield or I-data-link though to make sure.
Old 10/6/13, 03:44 PM

That does suck on the heat/cool slider not being a "slider". Your right about the clock display-hopefully some folks a lot smarter than me about this stuff can come up with a fix for both those issues and give us the hack for the radio.
I appreciate the video-saw some things not posted in other videos.
Any issues with the sync voice commands?
Old 10/6/13, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by arazor
That does suck on the heat/cool slider not being a "slider". Your right about the clock display-hopefully some folks a lot smarter than me about this stuff can come up with a fix for both those issues and give us the hack for the radio.
I appreciate the video-saw some things not posted in other videos.
Any issues with the sync voice commands?
yes all I have for an option is line in

and I cant do anything with sync. I am sure he probably hooked something up wrong(I rushed him because I am a man child and needed it now)

I am still shocked that no one else has one of these kits yet
Old 10/6/13, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jdub2k5
yes all I have for an option is line in

and I cant do anything with sync. I am sure he probably hooked something up wrong(I rushed him because I am a man child and needed it now)

I am still shocked that no one else has one of these kits yet
My kit should be in at my local dealer this coming week. As for the Sync - there is a blue wire that you need to cut and connect to the "Steering Wheel" side of the connection. It's hard to identify in the Sync harness:

Have your guy make sure he's connected to the correct BLUE wire.

I'll let you know as soon as my stuff arrives in and I'll be adding to my build page.
Old 10/7/13, 07:34 AM
Bullitt Member

it was worth the wait to see what this kit had in store and i think it's definitely a solid product. but for me, this is too much hassle just to have a mid mount dash kit. i never cared about sync, kenwood or temperature controls in the h/u. plus the lack of support and dealer network infrastructure has been frustrating to say the least. i called and e-mailed the only company in Michigan that can get this product and got no response. Same from ADS and there still isn't a single retailer selling this online except for overpriced crutchfield. i just wanted a nice looking dash kit to mount a high end receiver to control my system.

The scosche is $260 shipped, has slick hvac controls plus it will let me use any head unit I want. Looking at jdubs video drove me crazy with the load time and having to use the touch screen just to control temp.
Old 10/7/13, 08:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by essque
it was worth the wait to see what this kit had in store and i think it's definitely a solid product. but for me, this is too much hassle just to have a mid mount dash kit. i never cared about sync, kenwood or temperature controls in the h/u. plus the lack of support and dealer network infrastructure has been frustrating to say the least. i called and e-mailed the only company in Michigan that can get this product and got no response. Same from ADS and there still isn't a single retailer selling this online except for overpriced crutchfield. i just wanted a nice looking dash kit to mount a high end receiver to control my system.

The scosche is $260 shipped, has slick hvac controls plus it will let me use any head unit I want. Looking at jdubs video drove me crazy with the load time and having to use the touch screen just to control temp.
I'll be selling my Metra as soon as I get my iDataLink kit. $200 + shipping if you're interested...it's in perfect condition.
Old 10/7/13, 08:54 AM
Cobra Member

I'm thinking the same thing here. The iDatalink kit might be worth it if NOT for the restriction of the DNN/DNX high end Kenwoods. I'd consider it if it would work with the more reasonably priced DDX units, but it's too much of a premium. So you save 50% on accessories buying an overpriced head unit? No thanks. Amazon and eBay Merchants have much better pricing. Sure you are giving up a level of customer service and support, but anyone buying audio gear for a DIY install should understand and know what they are getting themselves into. I've always had great customer service from Amazon, and with free shipping on Prime - it's my first hit when comparing prices.

I for one am not comfortable into splicing into my car's factory wiring harness on a fishing expedition to find what I need. I'm perfectly comfortable with installing amplifiers and running cables to the battery, and using wiring harness adapters that easily plug into the existing harness, and allow the installer to solder/splice the connections into the adapter harness and head unit wiring.

The kicker for me now is that my Sync has gone silent, and I've done the factory restore settings/master reset/pulled battery cable steps, none of which has worked. I thought the battery cable would do it, but nope, still no voice prompts from Sync, last step before a trip to the dealer is pulling the fuse. You'd think pulling the battery cable for 30+ mins would do the trick, but no dice when I tried it Saturday.

I'll put the money saved with a Metra or Scosche into better component speakers and subs/mid bass speakers in my doors.
Old 10/7/13, 05:31 PM

I will agree that Crutchfield HU prices are high, that is one reason I purchased mine from Amazon at a fair savings even taking into account the combo price Crutchfield gives for the kit which left me money to buy a rear view camera and still have a savings over the complete combo from Crutchfield.
Old 10/7/13, 05:53 PM

On Ebay now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Maestro-...-/121183102417
Old 10/7/13, 07:12 PM
Bullitt Member

finally... thanks arazor! does anyone know if you have to buy the maestro interface if your mustang does not have sync? or can i just purchase a compatible kenwood and the mus1 dash kit?
Old 10/8/13, 07:32 AM
GT Member

yes I have the latest firmware, the kit performs fine. I am confused on why my subs are working with bluetooth audio but work with usb, ipod, and cd.

I figured it would be nice controlling the AC on the screen but thats my main complaint. the kenwood has an up and down button for heat/ac

you cannot slide the button and to get from max heat to max ac you have to press it maybe 30 times or hold it for about 35+ seconds

I have about 3 grand worth of audio in the trunk and its having some problems so I am taking it in on thursday to get the buttons reprogrammed and have them make the sync function
There is a crazy setting in the radio Bluetooth settings that you have to change. Go to Setup, Bluetooth and change the BT Streaming from "Front Only" to "All Speakers" and your subs will work when you stream. This is Kenwood setting and has nothing to do with Maestro.

Not being able to slide is a limitation of the radio screen. However, you can press and hold the up or down button instead of pressing multiple times.

As for clock, we support it, but the Kenwood radio does not support passing it to us. We don't have a real time clock in our module so we can't keep time. We need the radio (which has a clock) to supply it to us. Sorry for that.

Your video is nice, but we need to get your steering buttons working. Please make sure your installer calls in to tech support and asks for James.

Cheers,

Last edited by 12v Guy; 10/8/13 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10/8/13, 07:59 AM
GT Member

finally... thanks arazor! does anyone know if you have to buy the maestro interface if your mustang does not have sync? or can i just purchase a compatible kenwood and the mus1 dash kit?
Yes, you need the Maestro interface to make the kit work. The kit comes with T-harness to direct plug into the Maestro RR.

The solutions works in all configurations of Mustang so long as you install with compatible Kenwood radio. But without the RR, you have no communication from the kit to the car to the radio. The RR is the hub.

Cheers,
Old 10/8/13, 06:37 PM

12v Guy-Since you (ADS) have a business relationship with Kenwood and obviously have more juice when it comes to requesting/suggesting changes to the HU's that support your products how receptive is Kenwood to your input and do you guys have a method of passing on suggestions/changes that we the poor consumer would like to see?
Several things have been brought up already that seem like simple changes and we could use your companies leverage/contacts to have these items added to the next firmwre upgrade to the compatible HU's.
The Kenwood forums seem to imply that they are slow or non receptive to consumer requests.
What's your thoughts on this?
Your support of your product so far has been helpful and appreciated!
Old 10/9/13, 07:48 AM
Bullitt Member

12 Volt Guy,

Just a head's up, my local guy says his distributor has yet to receive product. He had to order direct from you guys - increasing his shipping costs. Just in case you wanted to follow up on that.
Old 10/9/13, 09:48 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by arazor
12v Guy-Since you (ADS) have a business relationship with Kenwood and obviously have more juice when it comes to requesting/suggesting changes to the HU's that support your products how receptive is Kenwood to your input and do you guys have a method of passing on suggestions/changes that we the poor consumer would like to see?
Several things have been brought up already that seem like simple changes and we could use your companies leverage/contacts to have these items added to the next firmwre upgrade to the compatible HU's.
The Kenwood forums seem to imply that they are slow or non receptive to consumer requests.
What's your thoughts on this?
Your support of your product so far has been helpful and appreciated!
They are responsive. Changing the radio firmware is a lot more complicated than what we do. We have application specific firmware and do all we can to improve/fix bugs immediately when they are reported. I don't think we'd have any more influence with them, but if someone wants to post a compete list, we will pass it along for sure.

Cheers,

Last edited by 12v Guy; 10/9/13 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10/10/13, 12:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I took the car in for the following things today some are to fix the install some are to fix my sub set.

car amp cut out( http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRXM...40.html?tp=115 )

steering wheel buttons are not programmed correctly

usb in glove box does not work

bluetooth has no bass (12v told me how to fix but still confused on how to do it)

most should be easy fixed I also want to change amps because for the 700 I spent the amp sure sucks..

I do not regret buying this dash kit! I will easily say its the best looking around. I love the dash pocket and usb spots. I am happy and would recomend it to everyone. I didn't make the video to slam it. I love the dash kit I hate the radio

Last edited by jdub2k5; 10/10/13 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10/10/13, 01:21 PM
GT Member

I took the car in for the following things today some are to fix the install some are to fix my sub set.

car amp cut out( http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRXM...40.html?tp=115 )

steering wheel buttons are not programmed correctly

usb in glove box does not work

bluetooth has no bass (12v told me how to fix but still confused on how to do it)

most should be easy fixed I also want to change amps because for the 700 I spent the amp sure sucks..

I do not regret buying this dash kit! I will easily say its the best looking around. I love the dash pocket and usb spots. I am happy and would recomend it to everyone. I didn't make the video to slam it. I love the dash kit I hate the radio

Call our tech support and ask for James. 1.866.427.2999
He can walk you through the setting in the radio. You are not just missing bass, you are missing rear speakers too.

Cheers,
Old 10/10/13, 02:15 PM
GT Member

He could have programmed any of the three middle buttons to do temp up and temp down. He just did not choose to do so. And each of the 5 buttons can have two functions (press and press and hold) if desired so you can pretty much get direct access to whatever you feel you use the most often and don't want to get into the radio screen to do. Also, the button bar buttons work even before the radio is booted up..

Cheers,
Old 10/10/13, 02:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 12v Guy
He could have programmed any of the three middle buttons to do temp up and temp down. He just did not choose to do so. And each of the 5 buttons can have two functions (press and press and hold) if desired so you can pretty much get direct access to whatever you feel you use the most often and don't want to get into the radio screen to do. Also, the button bar buttons work even before the radio is booted up..

Cheers,
yup because I turn out heated seats when I start her(heated seats in our stangs suck)

the bad part is I cant turn the ac/heat off or control it while on the phone
Old 10/10/13, 02:48 PM
Bullitt Member

he left a message with the maker of the kit. he is waiting to hear back I hope its soon :-)

Quick Reply: kenwood double din dash kit