Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

kenwood double din dash kit

Search this Thread

Old 11/25/13, 10:19 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3badi
Hey guys.
I have my MUS1 with Maestro ADS-MRR adapter Kenwood DNN990hd model
I connected the MUS1 harness to the kenwood harness but I left a few of wires disconnected (mute, p. cont, remote cont, ant cont, illumi), and a few of the MUS1 wires disconnected ( Brown, Ltgreen, Ltblue\white, Purple/ white, Orange )
My question is how can I connect these wires together?

Any help would be appreciated,

thanks

You should connect all wires with matching colors together. See the install guide. Orange to Orange or Orange/white, Blue/white to Blue/white, purple/white to purple/white, etc. Only exception (covered in guide) is the mute wire (brown) is not needed and light green from Kenwood can be grounded if you want to override e-brake safety or connected to light green on MUS T-Harness if you don't.

Other than that, if you need more help, you might want to call whoever sold to you or get professional installer.

Cheers,
Old 11/25/13, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 12v Guy
No Diagram available yet. Basically, what you will do is cut the connection between the speaker wires from the radio and the T-harness. There are 4 pairs each with solid wire and wire with black stripe - Green, Purple, White and Gray. Once you cut them you will should tape off the wires to the radio. You can then take a short male to male RCA cord and cut it in half. For all cases, the shield of the RCA (outside ring of RCA) will go to the wire with the black stripe and the solid wire will go to the signal wire (center part of RCA). Take one half of RCA and wire it to the front speaker wires of the Maestro T-Harness - Gray to the RED RCA and White to the WHITE RCA. Then plug these into the Kenwood Front RCA outputs. Take remaining half of the RCA cable and wire it to the rear speaker wires of the Maestro T-Harness - Purple to the RED RCA and Green to the WHITE RCA. Finally plug these into the Rear RCA outputs of the Kenwood. This will reduce the signal into the factory amplifier and give you much more usable volume curve. Cheers,
I'll have to re-read this a couple of times to ensure I'm understanding the directions...does anybody else have a wiring diagram or pics?
Old 11/25/13, 04:00 PM

What Maestro gauges are enabled?

12v Guy, here are some questions I haven't found answers to. And that includes wandering ADS's web site. I even read the PDF install guides.

What gauges will I have enabled using the Maestro and a 2013 Kenwood on my 2012 Boss 302 (No Sync / No center LCD)? Does it vary by Mustang model / year / options? Does it vary by which 2013 Kenwood I choose?

Also, why are both FOR01 and MUS01 recommended on your web site for my Boss?

Below is a list of enabled gauges I extracted from ColSaulTigh's (2014 GT / DNN990) video. Why did the Colonel have 24 menu picks but only 15 enabled? How many will I get?

ACCELERATION YES (longitudinal or lateral or combined?)
ACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION -
AIR / FUEL RATIO YES
AVERAGE FUEL ECONOMY YES
BATTERY VOLTAGE YES
BOOST / VACUUM -
DISTANCE TO EMPTY -
ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE YES
ENGINE LOAD YES
ENGINE OIL TEMPERATURE -
EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE YES
EXTERNAL AIR TEMPERATURE YES
FUEL LEVEL -
FUEL PRESSURE -
INSTANTANEOUS FUEL ECONOMY YES
INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE YES
INTAKE MANIFOLD AIR PRESSUR E -
MASS AIR FLOW YES
RPM YES
THROTTLE PLATE POSITION YES
TIMING ADVANCE YES
TORQUE -
TRANSMISSION FLUID TEMPERATURE -
VEHICLE SPEED YES
TOTAL 24 15 YES

A lot of questions I know, but I wouldn't be asking them if I wasn't very interested in purchasing.

Thanks!
Old 11/25/13, 04:54 PM
GT Member

Hi F22,

What gauges will I have enabled using the Maestro and a 2013 Kenwood on my 2012 Boss 302 (No Sync / No center LCD)? Does it vary by Mustang model / year / options? Does it vary by which 2013 Kenwood I choose?

Only depends on your car. We query the OBDII bus for supported codes. Impossible for us to tell you what you will have or not. We never made any catalog because if we did, we'd need to do it for all makes/models and it isn't practical now.

Also, why are both FOR01 and MUS01 recommended on your web site for my Boss?

Because you can use our module ADS-MRR with another brand of dash kit, in which case you would use the FO1 T-harness. OR, you can use our dash kit MUS1 that includes a T-harness. Both options are fine. Climate will only work in the radio if you use our dash kit.

Below is a list of enabled gauges I extracted from ColSaulTigh's (2014 GT / DNN990) video. Why did the Colonel have 24 menu picks but only 15
enabled? How many will I get?

See above, but this is probably pretty close to what you'd have.

AIR / FUEL RATIO YES
AVERAGE FUEL ECONOMY YES
BATTERY VOLTAGE YES
BOOST / VACUUM -
DISTANCE TO EMPTY -
ENGINE LOAD YES
ENGINE OIL TEMPERATURE -
FUEL LEVEL -
FUEL PRESSURE -
MASS AIR FLOW YES
RPM YES
TIMING ADVANCE YES
TORQUE -
VEHICLE SPEED YES
TOTAL 24 15 YES

Cheers,
Old 11/25/13, 05:09 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 14rs3roush
I'll have to re-read this a couple of times to ensure I'm understanding the directions...does anybody else have a wiring diagram or pics?

I am NO ARTIST and my creative people would kill me if they knew I posted this, but here is rough sketch. I sincerely hope it makes things clearer, not more confusing.

Cheers,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Speaker to RCA.pdf (22.7 KB, 259 views)
Old 11/25/13, 10:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F-22
Below is a list of enabled gauges I extracted from ColSaulTigh's (2014 GT / DNN990) video. Why did the Colonel have 24 menu picks but only 15 enabled? How many will I get?

AIR / FUEL RATIO YES
AVERAGE FUEL ECONOMY YES
BATTERY VOLTAGE YES
BOOST / VACUUM -
DISTANCE TO EMPTY -
ENGINE LOAD YES
ENGINE OIL TEMPERATURE -
FUEL LEVEL -
FUEL PRESSURE -
MASS AIR FLOW YES
RPM YES
TIMING ADVANCE YES
TORQUE -
VEHICLE SPEED YES
TOTAL 24 15 YES

A lot of questions I know, but I wouldn't be asking them if I wasn't very interested in purchasing.

Thanks!
I can help with some of these:

Accelerator Position - no idea
Boost/Vacuum - no supercharger/turbo on my GT, so no.
Distance to Empty - part of my gauge cluster info, so not necessary.
Engine Oil Temp - part of the gauge cluster info, so not necessary.
Fuel Level - part of my gauge cluster info, so not necessary.
Fuel Pressure - no idea
Intake Manifold Air Pressure - no idea
Torque - no idea
Transmission Fluid Temperature - I have an MT82, so no. Automatics may provide this info.

All the info comes from the CAM bus off the OBDII, so it's what ADS is able to read over the port. If the info isn't there, it's not able to read it - that simple.

Voltage is seen in the Info screen (where tire pressure is) as well as the dash gauge settings (along with oil pressure & temp, and some others). Some are not available because those options don't exist on my car (no boost). YMMV.
Old 11/26/13, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by 12v Guy
Only depends on your car. We query the OBDII bus for supported codes. Impossible for us to tell you what you will have or not. We never made any catalog because if we did, we'd need to do it for all makes/models and it isn't practical now.
Well that’s not really an answer, is it?

My Boss is nearly identical to many 10s of thousands of manual trans GTs out there.

Since you sell a dash kit you must have had possession of at least one Mustang for reverse engineering and fit check, right?
And you must have done functional testing of your harness and box and documented the results, right?

And now you’re saying that you won’t tell me what your product will do or not do, but you still expect me to spend $300-$350 on your product?

Last edited by F-22; 11/26/13 at 02:49 AM.
Old 11/26/13, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by ColSaulTigh
I can help with some of these:
Thanks for your input, Colonel. I do appreciate your help.

But whether you need these parameters or not is not the question. And, for example, manifold pressure (in your case vacuum) is very useful whether you have a turbo- or supercharger or not.

Almost all of the 24 parameters on your menu except Distance to Empty and Transmission Fluid Temperature are available at the OBDII port. In fact between the basic OBDII set and Ford’s enhanced set a couple hundred more are available too. It does vary from model to model but most are available on any late model Ford that has an engine, transmission, wheels, and brakes.

Here is a list. It does not include the information required to address and parse them. The extended PIDs are hard to find on the web because the manufacturers hold them closely and charge $ for them.
http://www.drewtech.com/reference/DDXL%20Ford%20Enhanced.pdf

Take a look here to see what some other Ford owners are doing.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1073405-torque-app-ford-extended-pids.html
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

Last edited by F-22; 11/26/13 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11/26/13, 03:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by F-22
Well that’s not really an answer, is it? My Boss is nearly identical to many 10s of thousands of manual trans GTs out there. Since you sell a dash kit you must have had possession of at least one Mustang for reverse engineering and fit check, right? And you must have done functional testing of your harness and box and documented the results, right? And now you’re saying that you won’t tell me what your product will do or not do, but you still expect me to spend $300-$350 on your product?
Don't beat your head against this wall...I asked these same questions on another thread and it appears they a) either don't have the information, or b) compiling the information is not feasible.

I think it's a poor business practice to continuously list the 25 or so parameters possible, when in actuality there is only a small subset that's available to the Mustang community which this kit is marketed.

But, it's better than what I had before!

Last edited by EastTNMustang; 11/26/13 at 04:21 AM.
Old 11/26/13, 08:13 AM
GT Member

Don't beat your head against this wall...I asked these same questions on another thread and it appears they a) either don't have the information, or b) compiling the information is not feasible.

I think it's a poor business practice to continuously list the 25 or so parameters possible, when in actuality there is only a small subset that's available to the Mustang community which this kit is marketed.

But, it's better than what I had before!
Sorry guys,

I know the answer sucks, but the dash kit and the gauges are separate things. It is true the kit is for Mustangs, but we offer gauges on all many, many Ford, GM, Chrysler and import vehicles. It isn't feasible to compile this info and continue to develop solutions for other vehicles.

So, I guess if that's the way you feel, I would hope you'd buy the kit based on it's OWN merits and consider gauges a bonus. If that doesn't work, I am sorry to lose you as a customer, but it isn't something that will be fixed soon. We try our best to offer top notch support, but in the end I do know that we can't please everyone.
Old 12/2/13, 05:37 AM

There are a couple of ways this could be handled by ADS:
  • First, I believe most of the info has been posted in this thread by the user community.
  • Second - I have a 2002 Focus, but I use an Ultragauge OBD II Scanner for about the same functionality (but not as snazzy a display). UG has a gauge availability estimator - http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragaug...rt/support.htm - I've been with them long enough to know how they came up with this: They offered a $10 rebate and to get the rebate, you had to send them your VIN (I think) and the year, make, model, and number of gauges supported. (Note that the info isn't always 100% accurate, but if 3 of 4 2010 Mustangs support a particular gauge, you can guess that probably yours will and the one inconsistency is a typo.) It allowed them to ensure they were only adding accurate data to the website, without having to manually collect the data yourself. If desired, ADS could set up a website on their site for customer info and customers could put what gauges are displayed.
Just a thought ...
Old 12/3/13, 07:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

F-22, have the same rig, interested to see how you go with this, and how it works. I'm interested in upgrading also.
Old 1/19/14, 09:23 PM

Did the obd2 disconnected issue get sorted? My setup was workong fine earlier (installed yesterday morning) but i just noticed its showing disconnected...
Old 1/20/14, 04:40 AM
GT Member

Hi,

The message on the screen is very specific. It will say:

1. Nothing - all is good, communication happening.
2. OBDII Disabled - We detect a factory scan tool or another device that is behaving like one. If you wish to use Maestro and such a device together, go into Settings in the Gauges screen and set the OBDII Communication to ALWAYS ON. However, you will need to disable it or set it back to auto when you go for service to prevent interference with factory tools.
3. OBDII Disconnected - Means we cannot see the bus. You connection is intermittent or bad and needs to be checked. If it's intermittent and we loose communication, even for a second, we will stop communicating, put the message on the screen and stay off until the ignition is cycled, even if the connection comes back by itself.

Hope this helps.
Old 1/20/14, 09:36 AM

I'll take a look at the wiring. Thanks again.

Actually i was getting in my car as i posted that and now it's working... hmm.. but I'll check nonetheless.

Last edited by m4tic; 1/20/14 at 09:38 AM.
Old 1/20/14, 04:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Well add me to the IData Link/Kenwood Family. I purchased a DNX890 to put in Roxxy with the RR and MU kit. I was goingto try to install myself, but now this OBDII connection has given me pause...

Do I need to solder the wire together for the OBDII port or do they snap into it ? Does the wire need to be extended ?? The flashing of the module was the easy part...(System Engineer) but the rest I am a little worried about.

For anyone who put this in, is it tough ? I mean I have taking this radio out before when I was doing that Otti Navi piece...but this one I am a little more concern with. Exp that OBDII part. The place I bought it from said they would do it for 150$ I have a hard time giving up funds though lol......

Last question.....can you use the usb inside the middle console, and can the usb2 be hooked up to say the MU front usb ? and if so how ?

Last edited by Ninjak; 1/20/14 at 05:25 PM.
Old 1/20/14, 08:57 PM

the console pocket usb ports are passthrough; you connect the radio usb pigtails to the back of the pocket.

the only actual modification to the car is the two OBD wires. you can solder or tap them; just make sure it's a solid connection. two wires.

Last edited by m4tic; 1/21/14 at 03:04 AM.
Old 1/20/14, 09:27 PM
Bullitt Member

When you say tap them, that means just plug them into the two spot ? Alos if I connect the two usb ports on the back to the pocket connection, will the USB in the center console still work ? Thanks for the answers
Old 1/21/14, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ninjak
When you say tap them, that means just plug them into the two spot ? Alos if I connect the two usb ports on the back to the pocket connection, will the USB in the center console still work ? Thanks for the answers
oh center console; I don't have sync so I only have the aux jack.

this is what i did for the obd connector
Name:  eJ0Mb9Yl.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  46.1 KB
Old 1/21/14, 04:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ninjak
When he says "tap them" he means you will have to strip back the insulation on those two wires and then splice into them...you shouldn't cut the wires, but either solder your connection or get a splice that will allow you to securely connect the wires...clear as mud? The connection to the OBD is not a plug-n-play connection, but with a little bit of patience and probably less skill you can do it.

And yes, the USB in the center console still works...after the install you will have 3 USB ports operational.

Good luck!

Last edited by EastTNMustang; 1/21/14 at 04:18 AM.

Quick Reply: kenwood double din dash kit