Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

kenwood double din dash kit

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/14, 01:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys or gals.....

When anyways....SUCCESS !!!! The system is in and running ! Bloody hell...I have no ideal why I did not do this sooner ! This thing rocks ! The 890HD is a great system. I still need to do the updates, but so far so good, and yes ! I now have 3 usb....WOW ! I am truly please with this setup. Fit and finish is fantastic.

On the Idatalink side of things I am basicaly using
1. Climate
2. AC/on : Hold MAx AC/on
3. Gauges : Hold Vehicle Info
4. Fan up : Hold Fan down
5. Rear defrost : Hold Forward Defrost

I am a little disappointed though that I cannot do boost....I wanted that to be my center gauge, but it is greyed out even on though I have boost.....so hmmm. But I am happy with the other options.

Middle RPM
Upper left A/F
Lower left MAF
Upper right Intake temp
Lower right Coolant temp

If you have a regular Shaker and have thought about upgrading, then do this kit. Its well worth it. Also if Kenwood is not your thing, Both Alpine and Pioneer will support the system with their offerings this year. Always good to have choices and competition !

Pics:

Last edited by Ninjak; 1/23/14 at 01:06 PM.
Old 1/29/14, 08:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe someone can chime in.
I'm looking at the DNX890HD. What else do I need to make this work with my 2012 Base Mustang GT? Besides better speakers.
Old 1/30/14, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba-Matt
Maybe someone can chime in.
I'm looking at the DNX890HD. What else do I need to make this work with my 2012 Base Mustang GT? Besides better speakers.
idatalink MUS1 dash kit and maestro RR module... thats it. oh and CRAB adapter for the am/fm antenna
Old 1/30/14, 06:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m4tic
idatalink MUS1 dash kit and maestro RR module... thats it. oh and CRAB adapter for the am/fm antenna
Thanks Would that be the Metra 40-CR10 Antenna Adapter?
Looks like I'll need the steering wheel control adapter too. I put a premium steering wheel in it.

Last edited by Scuba-Matt; 1/30/14 at 06:45 AM.
Old 1/30/14, 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Would that be the Metra 40-CR10 Antenna Adapter?
Looks like I'll need the steering wheel control adapter too. I put a premium steering wheel in it.
The RR kit will have your steering wheel adapter.

I must say the more time I spend with this setup, the more I like it. I have now added the SiriusXM Sat adapter. Easy to put in, and after I removed the plastic tip, I was able to plug my OEM antenna directly into the XM tuner. I called up XM, and had them WAIVED my 15 dollar fee, and BAM ! Sat radio in the Shelby now. Now all I need is a nice back-up cam.
Old 1/30/14, 11:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ninjak
The RR kit will have your steering wheel adapter.

I must say the more time I spend with this setup, the more I like it. I have now added the SiriusXM Sat adapter. Easy to put in, and after I removed the plastic tip, I was able to plug my OEM antenna directly into the XM tuner. I called up XM, and had them WAIVED my 15 dollar fee, and BAM ! Sat radio in the Shelby now. Now all I need is a nice back-up cam.
Thanks. I'm going to pull the trigger. I hope install isn't to bad.
Old 1/30/14, 12:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks. I'm going to pull the trigger. I hope install isn't to bad.
Its not bad. The hardest thing (because I suck at solder) is the OBDII port wires. Beyond that its pretty simple, and the instructions are pretty straight on. If you have sync, there is a splice you need to do to the module above the glove box.

As I said its not really bad at all. Just flash/program your RR unit before you install it. That to is pretty easy/ Just make sure to use IE, not google or firefox. You will get a error with google for sure, so just use IE.
Old 1/30/14, 03:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Its not bad. The hardest thing (because I suck at solder) is the OBDII port wires. Beyond that its pretty simple, and the instructions are pretty straight on. If you have sync, there is a splice you need to do to the module above the glove box.

As I said its not really bad at all. Just flash/program your RR unit before you install it. That to is pretty easy/ Just make sure to use IE, not google or firefox. You will get a error with google for sure, so just use IE.

Thanks for the heads up, IE for sure.
Old 1/30/14, 04:55 PM
GT Member

This may have been answered somewhere on this thread, so please be patient. I have a 2014 GT premium with a rear camera that projects on the rear view mirror. Is there wiring where it can be displayed on the Kenwood screen?

Thanks!
Old 1/31/14, 08:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Spark
This may have been answered somewhere on this thread, so please be patient. I have a 2014 GT premium with a rear camera that projects on the rear view mirror. Is there wiring where it can be displayed on the Kenwood screen?

Thanks!
Well the Kenwood has a port for a back-up cam. I am not sure what the cam cable looks like on the GT...I did not have the backup system on my Shelby. I am guessing if its a RCA, you would just plug it into the Backup port on the Kenwood.

I am sure someone with some more knowledge of this can chime in.
Old 2/3/14, 08:58 AM
GT Member

Well the Kenwood has a port for a back-up cam. I am not sure what the cam cable looks like on the GT...I did not have the backup system on my Shelby. I am guessing if its a RCA, you would just plug it into the Backup port on the Kenwood.

I am sure someone with some more knowledge of this can chime in.

You need to cut the wires going from factory camera to rear view mirror, splice on an yellow RCA cable and plug into the Kenwood. Very possible, but not for the novice and there is no plug and play way to do it. It has to be hardwired and you need to get a yellow RCA cable from somewhere and make sure it is long enough.

Cheers,
Old 2/6/14, 10:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Before I buy this kit tomorrow one more question, Will my heat and AC work, being that my car is a base model?

Last edited by Scuba-Matt; 2/6/14 at 10:17 PM.
Old 2/7/14, 12:09 AM

Before I buy this kit tomorrow one more question, Will my heat and AC work, being that my car is a base model?
yes

source: my car is a base model
Old 2/7/14, 04:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I just PM'd ya...I have a complete Mustang kit/setup for $950...comes with the install kit, Kenwood dnx890, Sirius satellite adapter, maestro rr adapter...everything you need to install into your Mustang except for the radio antenna adapter, which you can pick up at autozone.

Last edited by EastTNMustang; 2/7/14 at 04:15 AM.
Old 2/7/14, 07:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m4tic
yes

source: my car is a base model
Thank you.

Originally Posted by 14rs3roush
I just PM'd ya...I have a complete Mustang kit/setup for $950...comes with the install kit, Kenwood dnx890, Sirius satellite adapter, maestro rr adapter...everything you need to install into your Mustang except for the radio antenna adapter, which you can pick up at autozone.
PM replied.
Old 2/7/14, 07:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Here's a few pics of my setup for sale...I've modified the startup screen to show a Mustang vs the boring Kenwood...and this setup will save you $400-$500 vs new.
Attached Thumbnails kenwood double din dash kit-image-1006263880.jpg   kenwood double din dash kit-image-2965129945.jpg   kenwood double din dash kit-image-2433564677.jpg  
Old 2/10/14, 05:44 PM
Bullitt Member

14rs3roush, Thanks for the great deal, Everything looks great, Matt
Old 2/10/14, 07:00 PM
Bullitt Member

14rs3roush, Thanks for the great deal, Everything looks great, Matt
You're welcome...take your time when hooking up the sync and OBD wires.
Old 2/13/14, 08:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Got mine installed yesterday. I'm very happy with the Maestro kit (MUS1) and radio (Kenwood DNX890HD).
Thanks to Ron (14rs3roush) For a great deal on the setup. He shipped it right away and the package packing was fantastic. Everything arrived here is pristine condition.

Here are a few pic's of the install. Don't mind the glair its sunny outside and I'm at work.

Old 3/3/14, 12:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm considering doing do this. My sync has gone a little poo poo. Can you control heated seats from the touch screen?

Quick Reply: kenwood double din dash kit