'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

'13-14 Cluster into '10-12 car (with TrackApps) retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 3/25/14, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dealership won't buy my base model cluster. Do you know where I can a premium 2014 cluster with my color feature? I'm trying to swap the base model cluster for a new premium cluster.

Thanks,
Miguel
Old 3/25/14, 10:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Try Autonation (used to be Toulsey Ford). They have the best online prices.
Old 3/25/14, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Ok Jim and dmhines. Great job... the only little piece missing according to the thread title is the 2010 car... But i guess Matt and myself together with dmhines help will close that one, tooo

LEXiiON
Old 3/25/14, 10:53 AM

Thanks, Jim! Would I need anything else besides the cluster to swap out a 2014 mustang base model for a 2013 boss cluster? If I can only get a premium 14' cluster that's fine too. I also want the track apps in my base vehicle. I have a 2014 ford mustang gt with brembo package. Is there a certain number I need to give when ordering the cluster? My dealership would only let me swap a base model for a premium model cluster. Which would cost me around $1,000 in total.

Thanks,
Miguel
Old 3/25/14, 11:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

You also need the steering wheel switch with the directional OK buttons.

Beyond that, I think that's it. I don't think you need the ABS module either (that true Dan?)
Old 3/25/14, 11:13 AM

Do I want a certain vin number for the cluster? I tried to order the cluster before but they asked me for a vin of the cluster that I wanted.

Thanks
Old 3/25/14, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by StangFang30
Do I need a certain vin number for the cluster? I tried to order the cluster before but they asked me for a vin of the cluster that I wanted.

Thanks
I want to put the boss 302 cluster in my car. Can I put it in my car and will it work?
Old 3/25/14, 11:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I bought mine used for $180 from another automatic car and had no issues. I then used the VCM to enter as built data to unlock some functions, so I don't think it matters.

All the same, Deeslayer and Ajturbo I believe bought their clusters new. Let's see what they say.
Old 3/25/14, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by jim010
I bought mine used for $180 from another automatic car and had no issues. I then used the VCM to enter as built data to unlock some functions, so I don't think it matters.

All the same, Deeslayer and Ajturbo I believe bought their clusters new. Let's see what they say.
Well, I have a manual would that make a difference? What exactly is a VCM and can my dealership add it or am I able to?
Old 3/25/14, 12:20 PM

You guys are awesome. The only issue I had buying my "base" car was loosing out on the nice cluster/track apps. That literally was bothering me from day one. You have all now made it possible for me to enjoy my car to its fullest. Thanks again.

Now what would be great would be that thread with all the info condensed for vehicle model year/cluster type. Also what would be nice would be all the info and a link to where I can get that flash/scan tool you guys were using and also where the best place to get the clusters from. Also I still havent been able to confirm that the 13 premium cluster looks different from the 14 premium? Is this true?
Old 3/25/14, 12:25 PM

Looks like they are different.
Name:  IMAG0317_zps17656529.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  104.3 KB

Old 3/25/14, 12:25 PM
GT Member

StangFang,
If you buy a new Boss Cluster part #DR3Z10849CA , you will need to provide the VIN from a Boss with the LCD screen. MANY for sale on ebay, look to see if the car has the LCD, copy the VIN#. It will be on the auction. Provide THAT VIN when buying your cluster along with the correct mileage from YOUR car. You will pay for the cluster and a core charge. (I was reimbursed my core charge returning my base gauge cluster) You will also need to purchase a 4way cruise switch. part # SW-6911
You will also need to purchase a VCMII scan tool Ford Rotunda (clone) tool from one of many vendors oversea.
Here is the link I used to buy mine:
http://www.carsets.co.uk/wholesale/f...stic-tool.html
The steering wheel switch is plug-n-paly, the cluster is a 5 min job to physically install, but understand you will also need a laptop that has an OS of XP pro to use the VCMII. You will need to do the install yourself if you want all of the goodies to work in the cluster. I doubt a dealership is going to do anything beyond an install and pats relearn/reset. Your cluster would work, but it would not have track apps and all of the extra digital gauges.
You will only need to change the asbuilt for your ABS module to unlock the Track Apps after doing the (PMI)cluster install and PATS relearn/reset with your laptop and VCMII tool. The entire install shouldnt take you over an hour. I am not anywhere NEAR as competent with computers as most everyone in this thread, yet with a little guidance did it. We started with a base '13 GT and now it has a 100% operable Boss Track Apps Cluster all done at the house.

Last edited by Deerslayer; 3/25/14 at 12:33 PM.
Old 3/25/14, 12:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

As far as I am aware, the difference is only the guage face. That's it.
Old 3/25/14, 12:28 PM

***ALSO to the guys that did the BOSS clusters, did you get the launch control option or is that just for the red key? And will having the boss as-built data with the boss cluster allow for the red key now? I know FRPP was teasing that red key for GTs, but they said it depends on what cluster you have if it will work or not. Any thoughts on this?
Old 3/25/14, 12:45 PM
GT Member

The Track Key shows up on the menu. Good question to see if you could get one from Ford an activate it. We already run an aftermarket tune, so no need for the red key here, we are tuned 24/7.
Zero, do you know how the two keys load different tunes?

I thought launch control was only offered on the GT500's?

Last edited by Deerslayer; 3/25/14 at 12:50 PM.
Old 3/25/14, 12:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Deerslayer
The Track Key shows up on the menu. Good question to see if you could get one from Ford an activate it. We already run an aftermarket tune, so no need for the red key here.
I thought launch control was only offered on the GT500's.
Nope, the Boss also had launch control
Old 3/25/14, 12:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I beleive launch control requires an extra module that we don't have in our cars. I can check that when I get home, though.
Old 3/25/14, 12:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Also, my car is also running low 14 for air/fuel mix. Temp is a littlle higher as well. Same as Dan.
Old 3/25/14, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by jim010

Originally Posted by Deerslayer
StangFang,
If you buy a new Boss Cluster part #DR3Z10849CA , you will need to provide the VIN from a Boss with the LCD screen. MANY for sale on ebay, look to see if the car has the LCD, copy the VIN#. It will be on the auction. Provide THAT VIN when buying your cluster along with the correct mileage from YOUR car. You will pay for the cluster and a core charge. (I was reimbursed my core charge returning my base gauge cluster) You will also need to purchase a 4way cruise switch. part # SW-6911
You will also need to purchase a VCMII scan tool Ford Rotunda (clone) tool from one of many vendors oversea.
Here is the link I used to buy mine:
http://www.carsets.co.uk/wholesale/f...stic-tool.html
The steering wheel switch is plug-n-paly, the cluster is a 5 min job to physically install, but understand you will also need a laptop that has an OS of XP pro to use the VCMII. You will need to do the install yourself if you want all of the goodies to work in the cluster. I doubt a dealership is going to do anything beyond an install and pats relearn/reset. Your cluster would work, but it would not have track apps and all of the extra digital gauges.
You will only need to change the asbuilt for your ABS module to unlock the Track Apps after doing the (PMI)cluster install and PATS relearn/reset with your laptop and VCMII tool. The entire install shouldnt take you over an hour. I am not anywhere NEAR as competent with computers as most everyone in this thread, yet with a little guidance did it. We started with a base '13 GT and now it has a 100% operable Boss Track Apps Cluster all done at the house.

Thank you so much! Project boss will be under way soon. Unfortunately I don't know to much about computers. lol
Old 3/25/14, 01:34 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEXiiON
Ok Jim and dmhines. Great job... the only little piece missing according to the thread title is the 2010 car... But i guess Matt and myself together with dmhines help will close that one, tooo

LEXiiON
I'll fix that.

Quick Reply: '13-14 Cluster into '10-12 car (with TrackApps) retrofit