Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/16, 06:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
I ordered these tires today. I emailed back and forth several times with Mickey Thompson about my specific setup and which tires I should use for drag racing, outstanding customer service Unfortunately Hoosier never answered my initial email

MT said I would be faster on radials, they didn't recommend slicks at my power level. Too much drag down the track with the softer tire. He also said the sidewalls would wrinkle on launch similar to a bias ply.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.png  
Old 4/11/16, 06:10 PM
Cobra Member

I also ordered this nitrous kit
Old 4/11/16, 06:18 PM
Cobra Member

And this accessory kit. Comes with heater, pressure regulator, purge kit, blow down tube, blow down valve, gauge, relay.....sweet deal.
Old 4/13/16, 10:23 PM
Cobra Member

Auto trans installed!!!

What I learned

1. You have to install the transmission with the converter in the trans. You get it close, slide the converter out some, bolt it to the flywheel, then push on the transmission.

2. When using an f150 trans in a mustang you need the shifter arm and shifter bracket from the mustang transmission. Some modifying will need to be done to connect the mustang bracket to the f150 transmission. Looks like at least one bolt lines up though so it should be an easy modification. I'll take some pics when I'm done.

3. I'll be using the mustang shifter cable, for 2010 the cable cost $20....for a 2011 it cost $120 . I need the 2011 of course.

4. For whatever reason the auto trans mounts higher than the manual trans. It actually tilted my engine farther forward and caused problems with the exhaust and the air intake piping. You move one thing and everything else moves with it. I bent the exhaust back down and I think the air intake will be ok as is. I checked and all the mounts are the same between manual and auto.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Ecostang; 4/13/16 at 10:32 PM.
Old 4/13/16, 11:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Hey bud, forgot I got the brakes out of storage today. They're boxed up too. PM me your address!
Old 4/14/16, 02:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Hey bud, forgot I got the brakes out of storage today. They're boxed up too. PM me your address!
Sent pm, no big deal. I won't be back on the road with the car until the following weekend. I ordered some extra parts that won't arrive until next week.
Old 4/14/16, 02:26 PM
Cobra Member

Here's the numbers for the parts I had to buy to use the f150 auto trans in a mustang, shift lever and the bracket to hold the cable.

BR3Z-7A256-A
LEVER

BR3Z-7B229-A
BRACKET
$8.62

W500223S439
MOUNT BRACKET BOLT
$0.66
Old 4/14/16, 11:20 PM
Cobra Member

I went to tighten the transmission bolts and I noticed it wouldn't tighten up all the way. I searched Google and I found that most likely the torque converter was not aligned properly inside the transmission. Dammit

I pulled the transmission back out and sure enough it wasn't aligned properly on the input shaft, I pushed it back in and tried to reinstall the trans. On the 6r80 there isn't a window on the bottom like most transmission to tighten the torque converter nuts. It's hard to describe in a post but I had to get the trans close enough to get the torque converter nuts on but the trans far enough back so I can get the wrench in there. Seemed like I got it so I started to tighten up the bolts again. Same thing happened....dammit.

It was after this happened 2x that I noticed the window I was looking for, it was located behind the starter. I'll have to pull the trans back out, realign the converter again, shove the trans all the way up to the motor, then use the window to attach the nuts.

Frustration level is high at this point, wasted hours on this s***. Btw before starting I tried to find instructions for this and wasn't able to find any without purchasing a service manual. Probably would have been cheaper in hindsight.
Old 4/15/16, 08:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang
I went to tighten the transmission bolts and I noticed it wouldn't tighten up all the way. I searched Google and I found that most likely the torque converter was not aligned properly inside the transmission. Dammit

I pulled the transmission back out and sure enough it wasn't aligned properly on the input shaft, I pushed it back in and tried to reinstall the trans. On the 6r80 there isn't a window on the bottom like most transmission to tighten the torque converter nuts. It's hard to describe in a post but I had to get the trans close enough to get the torque converter nuts on but the trans far enough back so I can get the wrench in there. Seemed like I got it so I started to tighten up the bolts again. Same thing happened....dammit.

It was after this happened 2x that I noticed the window I was looking for, it was located behind the starter. I'll have to pull the trans back out, realign the converter again, shove the trans all the way up to the motor, then use the window to attach the nuts.

Frustration level is high at this point, wasted hours on this s***. Btw before starting I tried to find instructions for this and wasn't able to find any without purchasing a service manual. Probably would have been cheaper in hindsight.
Man, you should know that I have that service manual for the 2012 F150. Especially since you gave me the $10 to renew the subscription. Otherwise the wiring would have been ****. You need to ask. I still can't read minds

LEXiiON

Last edited by LEXiiON; 4/15/16 at 08:27 AM.
Old 4/15/16, 08:45 AM
Cobra Member

Lol, of course you did....duh. Well I was properly punished for not thinking

Thanks for posting that!
Old 4/15/16, 09:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
One of the coolest thread ever Ecostang!!! Money is surely no object with the number of Cobras in your driveway, but can you share a ball-park figure of the total $$$ for this project from the carcass up to now ?
Old 4/15/16, 07:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Kotenukimen
One of the coolest thread ever Ecostang!!! Money is surely no object with the number of Cobras in your driveway, but can you share a ball-park figure of the total $$$ for this project from the carcass up to now ?
Thanks man!

A $ figure including all my mistakes I would be just under $50k right now. This should get me to mid 10s in the 1/4 mile, another $20k and I could be in the 9s. This exact car could be built for $5-10k less if you got a higher mileage car and bought a 2011+. I had $15k in the car with the repair before I even started modyfing it...so $30-35k in modification.

This car only has 9k miles and has a glass roof, 2 things I was really drawn to. I probably paid to much considering it was totaled. The wreck was minor, just lots of expensive parts.
Old 4/15/16, 08:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks man!

A $ figure including all my mistakes I would be just under $50k right now. This should get me to mid 10s in the 1/4 mile, another $20k and I could be in the 9s. This exact car could be built for $5-10k less if you got a higher mileage car and bought a 2011+. I had $15k in the car with the repair before I even started modyfing it...so $30-35k in modification.

This car only has 9k miles and has a glass roof, 2 things I was really drawn to. I probably paid to much considering it was totaled. The wreck was minor, just lots of expensive parts.
Not after you had to pay me
jk
LEXiiON
Old 4/15/16, 09:36 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
jk
LEXiiON
True, that's only parts

I put back in the trans tonight following fords instructions, easy peezy

Now I can finally move on to something else

Last edited by Ecostang; 4/15/16 at 09:38 PM.
Old 4/15/16, 09:48 PM
Cobra Member

jk
LEXiiON
Btw we need to program the solenoids in it the PCM, they are marked on the trans. Can you schedule me for that and put that on my tab?
Old 4/15/16, 09:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Btw we need to program the solenoids in it the PCM, they are marked on the trans. Can you schedule me for that and put that on my tab?
Can I have your credit card please to keep the tab open

LEXiiON
Old 4/16/16, 12:25 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
jk
LEXiiON
Can I have your credit card please to keep the tab open

LEXiiON

I guess beer and pizza ain't gonna do it. But beer and pizza is pretty dang good. If its REALLY GOOD pizza, and lots of beer, lol.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 4/16/16 at 12:27 AM.
Old 4/16/16, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome build. Joined TMS just because of this thread.. love the constant updates..
Old 4/16/16, 08:33 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to see it worked out! Isn't it crazy how much easier things are when you follow the instructions? lol I finally started going through the shop manual for mine and it solved a lot of the problems I was having, plus I didn't have to back track every 20 minutes when I forgot something. I can't wait to see this thing go down the track!
Old 4/16/16, 09:13 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

I guess beer and pizza ain't gonna do it. But beer and pizza is pretty dang good. If its REALLY GOOD pizza, and lots of beer, lol.
Haha, pizza sucks around here

Every time I see your posts it makes me laugh

Rather B blown
I love sausage
Hilarious avatar
= a smile every time

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap