Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/16, 04:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Wired up the steering wheel switches here, I used an ohm meter to figure out which wires were which going through the clockspring. Of course the colors weren't the same from one side to the other. Inside the steering wheel the red wires were 12v+ and the black wires were 12-. I didn't use those wires since I didn't know how much power the 12+ could supply. There were many other wires to pick from.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpeg  
Old 5/30/16, 04:43 PM
Cobra Member

I think they look great and they work. I've got the left side connected to the nitrous and the right side connected to the transbrake, line-loc, and soon I'll add a 2step to this button as well....assuming I can figure out if the msd will work or not.

I also have the line loc on the console lid for burnouts. I will be adding a one-way diode on the second line lock power source so that it doesn't engage my transbrake when the console lid button is used during a burnout.

There's master arming switches for each button on the console lid, this way accidentally bumping one of them shouldn't be an issue if I'm driving on the street.

The nitrous also has a WOT switch, I have to be at WOT and have the button depressed to fire the nitrous. This way I can selectively use it while racing, only when needed to save the engine as long as possible.
Old 6/2/16, 01:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Where are the dyno pull pictures ??

Dyno Pics of course..

LEXiiON
Old 6/4/16, 11:14 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
Where are the dyno pull pictures ??

Dyno Pics of course..

LEXiiON
The dyno deserves a video for sure.

Well we made it to Orlando Florida, the car is at Just Brakes right now getting the brakes bled and then I'm dropping it off at MPT later. They will get started tuning in the morning.

We drove 1800+ miles pulling a trailer since Wednesday afternoon. I traded in my 24' enclosed car hauler for an 18' open car hauler for this trip. That was worthwhile for sure, I was able to drive 80mph comfortably and get between 11-12 mpg. I was really happy with that, the trip went fine but I'm still sore from all the driving.

Last edited by Ecostang; 6/4/16 at 11:15 AM.
Old 6/4/16, 10:41 PM
Cobra Member

Well I dropped the car off at MPT, we parked it on the dyno. My first impression of them is really good, these guys seem legit. The owner of supersix motorsports is having his 3.7 mustang tuned at MPT, it was sitting there inside the shop. Besides that there were several ecoboost trucks being worked on. Mike and his guys seem really knowledgable about the ecoboost platform, they really liked the car too.

They told my stock turbos are going to choke my car and Mike thinks we will make around 550 RWHP with them, even with the nitrous. This isn't far from my short term goal of 600rwhp. We brefiely discussed changing the turbos out but there's just not enough time. He said the cavalli turbos were a huge improvement over stock and bolt right in.

Sitting in the shop is this truck that I've seen several videos of already.

Old 6/5/16, 10:23 AM
Cobra Member

Just getting started!
Old 6/5/16, 11:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Old 6/5/16, 06:24 PM
Cobra Member

The following users liked this post:
boss man (6/7/16)
Old 6/5/16, 06:28 PM
Cobra Member

Just did a baseline hit to see where we go from here. 324 rwhp and 354 lbs of torque. That's a great start as far as I'm concerned. We looked at some baseline 5.0 pulls and they have the ecoboost by 30 rwhp but the ecoboost toque curve destroys it. I'd put this car stock against a stock coyote as is and I think I would win, the torque tells the story.

Last edited by Ecostang; 6/5/16 at 06:48 PM.
Old 6/5/16, 06:42 PM
Cobra Member

First failed attempt, still sounds pretty good. Gatorv6 came by today and hung out for a couple hours while we chased problems. So everyone knows, if the battery charge gets low it causes a few weird issues despite the car starting and running. The transmission got stuck in 3rd and my 150 amp battery breaker kept tripping. After spending hours trying to figure this out we threw on the jumper cables to my truck and problem solved. We had a charger on the car all day but it wasn't enough. When the key is on that huge water pump and the intercooler fans run, this is 35 amps of constant power.
Attached Files
Old 6/6/16, 04:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Good luck today
Old 6/6/16, 05:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by lowblustang00
Good luck today
Thanks! At the rate things are going we may need it
Old 6/6/16, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck! Can't wait to see final numbers!
Old 6/6/16, 09:44 PM
Cobra Member

So this project is fighting us constantly but if we keep fighting back we make progress. We have had issues with the hptuners software, we have had issues with the software for the supplemental fuel controller, a tropical storm is hitting us right now with heavy rain and some flooding, we lost power at the shop for at least an hour, it's 90-100 degrees and 100% humidity so I'm sweating the moment I leave in the morning until we get back to the hotel, looks like one of the new weld wheels isn't true, it wobbles on the dyno......

We worked 13 hrs straight on the car today and he made several hits on the dyno, he's only halfway through the tuning and we put down 400 hp and 400 lbs of torque. He going through each function line by line and making adjustments, Mike said we won't make real power until he's completely done.

I installed a nitrous express controller today, Mike said the PCM freaks out if you don't ramp up the nitrous instead of hitting it with everything at once. It will start at 40% and build to 100% after 1.5 seconds. Very good info to know.

We have got all the major software hurdles behind us we think, tomorrow should be a productive day.
Old 6/7/16, 06:37 PM
Cobra Member

We finally got the communication established with the supplemental fuel controller. It works off of RPM and MAP pressure, there's a vacuum line hooked up to the controller. The MAP was having a hard time, sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't, we spent hours trying to figure it out. Turns out the controllers internal map sensor had glue over the hose connection and it was nearly plugged shut. Fixed that and it finally started working. Since that was finally working we decided to switch the car over to e85, I drained the tank and picked up the fuel. He made some major adjustments to the tune and started it on e85, purrs like a kitten. He then adjusted the tune to add fuel with the supplemental controller and will make some dyno pulls in the morning to dial it in.

I was supposed to leave tomorrow morning but clearly the car isn't ready for that. My race isn't until Sunday but I wanted to be there as soon as the gates open to test as much as possible. The plan is currently to tune tomorrow and race at a local track tomorrow night. I may leave for Ohio from the track and try to make it as far as I can before stopping for the night.
Old 6/8/16, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ecostang
We finally got the communication established with the supplemental fuel controller. It works off of RPM and MAP pressure, there's a vacuum line hooked up to the controller. The MAP was having a hard time, sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't, we spent hours trying to figure it out. Turns out the controllers internal map sensor had glue over the hose connection and it was nearly plugged shut. Fixed that and it finally started working. Since that was finally working we decided to switch the car over to e85, I drained the tank and picked up the fuel. He made some major adjustments to the tune and started it on e85, purrs like a kitten. He then adjusted the tune to add fuel with the supplemental controller and will make some dyno pulls in the morning to dial it in.

I was supposed to leave tomorrow morning but clearly the car isn't ready for that. My race isn't until Sunday but I wanted to be there as soon as the gates open to test as much as possible. The plan is currently to tune tomorrow and race at a local track tomorrow night. I may leave for Ohio from the track and try to make it as far as I can before stopping for the night.

This is one of those stories you usually read about in a magazine. The car gets finished hours before the race and T&E'ed by getting thrown into the fray! I love it! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. I hope you have someone on-hand to video your passes on the track when it comes time. I have to say, I was initially disappointed when you decided to go from a handling car to a drag car (I was really looking forward to the possibility of a IRS swap), but this is coming out very cool. I think I read awhile back that you wanted the car to have a little of a sleeper look, but the way she is looking, she needs some really cool "V6 Powered" semi wrap graphic or something!
Old 6/8/16, 06:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Fingers crossed ... Hope you are successful today with the tuning.
Good luck and let us know how it goes

LEXiiON
Old 6/8/16, 09:02 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
This is one of those stories you usually read about in a magazine. The car gets finished hours before the race and T&E'ed by getting thrown into the fray! I love it! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. I hope you have someone on-hand to video your passes on the track when it comes time. I have to say, I was initially disappointed when you decided to go from a handling car to a drag car (I was really looking forward to the possibility of a IRS swap), but this is coming out very cool. I think I read awhile back that you wanted the car to have a little of a sleeper look, but the way she is looking, she needs some really cool "V6 Powered" semi wrap graphic or something!
Originally Posted by LEXiiON
Fingers crossed ... Hope you are successful today with the tuning.
Good luck and let us know how it goes

LEXiiON
Well guys it's 10:45 pm here and I wish I had lots of good news but that's not the case. We have been having issues with the transmission getting locked in 3rd gear on startup and turns out 2 problems were causing it....the voltage getting low on the battery AND the JMS transbrake I installed. I disconnected it yesterday and it was while we were having the battery issue it didn't make it work. Once the battery was resolved and the car started in 1st I put the transbrake back in and we started having issues again. We didn't suspect the transbrake right away instead we suspected a tuning issue or still low voltage so hours and hours were lost. Turns out the low voltage and/or the transbrake will cause a 3rd gear lock up on startup.

Another issue we were having is the throttlebody closing under WOT, he's never experienced this on an ecoboost before with similar parameters. Long story but luckily his 2012 f150 is sitting here so he copied the strategy from it and this issue seems resolved.

Car made 425 RWHP today, that was some good news...this was with a tune only...no nitrous.

Then I get a call while I'm the auto parts store, it's Mike, he says it's bad and I needed to get back. He thinks the trans broke while testing and locked up the rearend. He said it was so violent he doesn't know what exactly happened. There were witnesses and they said it was so chaotic they couldn't tell either, but there was smoke and lots of noise.

When I arrive we looked everything over and everything seems to be fine....Mike was freakin out, scared the **** out of him. The car drives stuck in 3rd (still with JMS transbrake), so we thought maybe something was wrong with the dyno but it seems fine too. What we think happened is that the transbrake engaged while he was doing a hit which locked 1st and reverse. Needless to say the transbrake is off the car for now.

He's building a new tune as I type and will be installing it in a few minutes. Hopefully it works, it might not and the car may not start because of it. My buddy told me yesterday that the pioneers get the arrows, I'm feeling it.

Guys Mike @ MPT is the ****, these problems certainly aren't his fault and he's helping me diagnose everything and he's working crazy hours to get it done. His passion for this project equals my own, personally I wouldn't go anywhere else for my tunes. We may work until daylight
Old 6/8/16, 09:27 PM

Well guys it's 10:45 pm here and I wish I had lots of good news but that's not the case. We have been having issues with the transmission getting locked in 3rd gear on startup and turns out 2 problems were causing it....the voltage getting low on the battery AND the JMS transbrake I installed. I disconnected it yesterday and it was while we were having the battery issue it didn't make it work. Once the battery was resolved and the car started in 1st I put the transbrake back in and we started having issues again. We didn't suspect the transbrake right away instead we suspected a tuning issue or still low voltage so hours and hours were lost. Turns out the low voltage and/or the transbrake will cause a 3rd gear lock up on startup.

Another issue we were having is the throttlebody closing under WOT, he's never experienced this on an ecoboost before with similar parameters. Long story but luckily his 2012 f150 is sitting here so he copied the strategy from it and this issue seems resolved.

Car made 425 RWHP today, that was some good news...this was with a tune only...no nitrous.

Then I get a call while I'm the auto parts store, it's Mike, he says it's bad and I needed to get back. He thinks the trans broke while testing and locked up the rearend. He said it was so violent he doesn't know what exactly happened. There were witnesses and they said it was so chaotic they couldn't tell either, but there was smoke and lots of noise.

When I arrive we looked everything over and everything seems to be fine....Mike was freakin out, scared the **** out of him. The car drives stuck in 3rd (still with JMS transbrake), so we thought maybe something was wrong with the dyno but it seems fine too. What we think happened is that the transbrake engaged while he was doing a hit which locked 1st and reverse. Needless to say the transbrake is off the car for now.

He's building a new tune as I type and will be installing it in a few minutes. Hopefully it works, it might not and the car may not start because of it. My buddy told me yesterday that the pioneers get the arrows, I'm feeling it.

Guys Mike @ MPT is the ****, these problems certainly aren't his fault and he's helping me diagnose everything and he's working crazy hours to get it done. His passion for this project equals my own, personally I wouldn't go anywhere else for my tunes. We may work until daylight
Instead of reading through the entire thread what PCM and Transmission are you using? Is the Trans & PCM from same vehicle? If not it might be needed to put the Solenoid Body Strategy and the Solenoid Body IDN into the PCM or it can cause issues. If its already been done then ok.
Mike will be working on a tune for my truck project also

"My buddy told me yesterday that the pioneers get the arrows, I'm feeling it." I know all about that! LOL

Last edited by TimeWarpF100; 6/8/16 at 09:28 PM.
Old 6/8/16, 09:55 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TimeWarpF100
Instead of reading through the entire thread what PCM and Transmission are you using? Is the Trans & PCM from same vehicle? If not it might be needed to put the Solenoid Body Strategy and the Solenoid Body IDN into the PCM or it can cause issues. If its already been done then ok.
Mike will be working on a tune for my truck project also

"My buddy told me yesterday that the pioneers get the arrows, I'm feeling it." I know all about that! LOL
It's a 2012 engine and 2012 6r80 automatic and yes it was programmed to the PCM using an IDS. Good thinking though

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap