'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/16, 10:35 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang

The guy that helped me with the gears will be back tomorrow night to see what we can figure out with the noise. Could be simple, or it could be back to square one. He thinks that the pinion depth may be off and he's going to measure it tomorrow to see.
Are they FRPP gears?
Old 5/9/16, 07:33 AM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
If it took Ford 3 tries to set my pinion and gears, incorrectly, I'd assume it's not that easy. Mine still has terrible gear whine.
Same here, I took my Shelby to a very reputable shop and paid nearly $1500 to have the gears changed on it. The first time gear whine got louder and louder over a week so I took it back in. The crush collar was crushed further than it was supposed to be, they said it was oblong shaped and blamed the torque of the engine. They had to go back in and replace the crush collar with a solid shim instead and now it whines at around 60 mph but I can live with it.

The ecostang on the other hand has much more than a whine, for a race car I could easily live with that. I would call this a howl instead that can be felt in the car, I was worried about tearing up the gears just on the short test drive.

He didn't check the pinion depth, we went with the same depth as the previous gears which I've read is usually fine. If that's the problem we have to start completely over.
Old 5/9/16, 07:44 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Are they FRPP gears?
No these are 2012 gt500 take-offs, only had a few thousand miles on them.
Old 5/9/16, 01:48 PM
Cobra Member

More drama to go with all the other drama I've had getting wheels for this car, unbelievable.

One of my tires wouldn't hold air so I took it back to the tire shop for them to figure it out. The wheel is leaking around where the star meets the lip in several places as you can see. It will get swapped out under warranty, wouldn't expect such poor quality from weld.

3 steps forward 2 steps back......
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpeg  
Old 5/9/16, 02:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
More drama to go with all the other drama I've had getting wheels for this car, unbelievable.

One of my tires wouldn't hold air so I took it back to the tire shop for them to figure it out. The wheel is leaking around where the star meets the lip in several places as you can see. It will get swapped out under warranty, wouldn't expect such poor quality from weld.

Maier Racing (local to me) used to be sponsored by Weld. They told me they've gone through several regime changes recently, and a) quality and b) customer service have gone down the toilet.
Old 5/9/16, 08:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Maier Racing (local to me) used to be sponsored by Weld. They told me they've gone through several regime changes recently, and a) quality and b) customer service have gone down the toilet.
That's lame
Old 5/9/16, 08:37 PM
Cobra Member

Possibly some good news on the rearend. Before I tore it all down we rechecked the pinion nut toque with a higher quality tool than were using before... it's way too low. Supposed to be 20lb of free rotational torque and it's at 5.5lbs. It takes a huge ratchet to tighten it and Matt didn't have it with him today. After work tomorrow we will tighten the nut to spec and take it for another test drive.

I installed the aux injector controller here on the firewall.
Old 5/10/16, 05:29 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

How is this possible? Weld wheels are forged from a solid piece of
Aluminum. Could they have been machined that thin??
Old 5/10/16, 07:35 AM
Cobra Member

I thought the same thing but I was told yesterday they are 2 piece wheels.
Old 5/10/16, 09:45 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I thought the same thing but I was told yesterday they are 2 piece wheels.

see below...3 peice

WELD Racing brings its application flexible racing technology to the street with a budget friendly 3-pc modular wheel using a unique welded assembly process. This wheel has the classic Weld Racing look and continues the Weld Racing tradition utilizing a forged billet center and cold forged rim shells. This unique wheel offers 3 mounting pad heights to clear specific drum and multi-piston opposed calipers.
Old 5/10/16, 12:46 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a bummer about the wheel. I'm curious though, what controller did you go with for the AUX injectors?
Old 5/10/16, 01:06 PM
Cobra Member

I went with this controller from 034 motorsports

https://store.034motorsport.com/blog...ntroller-info/
Old 5/10/16, 01:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by boss man
see below...3 peice

WELD Racing brings its application flexible racing technology to the street with a budget friendly 3-pc modular wheel using a unique welded assembly process. This wheel has the classic Weld Racing look and continues the Weld Racing tradition utilizing a forged billet center and cold forged rim shells. This unique wheel offers 3 mounting pad heights to clear specific drum and multi-piston opposed calipers.
There you go, I guess they are actually 3 piece.
Old 5/10/16, 02:10 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
There you go, I guess they are actually 3 piece.
Apparently 3 piece means 3 more places that are likely to leak, lol.
Old 5/10/16, 02:24 PM
Cobra Member

Well I picked up the wheel and figured out what's going on. There's a bead of silicone caulking around the entire wheel lip where it's fused together inside. If there was one place that air can get under th caulking it would leak out of several places on the wheel face making it look like several leaks. I could probably fix this myself if I figured out where the breach in the silicone is, but the new wheel already shipped and I shouldn't have to fix things that are new
Old 5/10/16, 05:47 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
At least they are standing by the product after the sale and not claiming the installer screwed it up. Ironic that the weld in a Weld wheel is bad.
Old 5/10/16, 09:17 PM
Cobra Member

Well Matt came over today so we could tighten up the pinion nut, it didn't go well Before we could get it tight enough the end of the pinion sheared off.

The driveshaft flange wasn't even close to being pushed on all the way, this must have been a casting defect for this to happen. We really hadn't started getting it tight before it snapped off.

I'm going to use the old gear set out of my Shelby which is also a 3.31.

SO LAME
Old 5/10/16, 09:20 PM
Cobra Member

I pulled it all back apart to the point where the new gears are ready to go back in.
Old 5/10/16, 09:23 PM
Cobra Member

I was able to get a few other things done tonight. I added a return fuel port on the gt500 pump, getting it ready to go back in. I put a 45 inside the tank so gas doesn't drop back in to the basket. That might cause the pump to suck up an air bubble.
Old 5/10/16, 09:26 PM
Cobra Member

The nitrous system is finished in the trunk

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap