Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

This is why shocks matter.....

Search this Thread

Old 12/16/10, 03:58 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sam strano
I wasn't tense... Just one of those issues with reading a post, you don't get inflection.

I didn't mean to sound stressed, or think you were trying to get me worked up.

Ultralites are dual stage springs... they are wound in such a way that makes them more linear than not in actual function, but the fact is they are no linear springs and the rates you often see quoted for them do not accurately portray the working rates.
I know. I was just teasing.

I'm trying to figure out which lowering springs to go with for my 2011 (I know I'm going with the Koni's again). I loved the Steeda Sports on my 2007, but am considering giving a different spring a shot this time around, such as the Ultralites.
Old 12/16/10, 04:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, you know my number...

Ultralites are a little lower and a little stiffer. I prefer the Sports, and you clearly liked them. But if you want to try something else we can certainly talk it over.
Old 12/16/10, 07:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Question

Hmmmm, that's one I have not yet been presented with in such a blunt way. We are clearly trying to fit a budget, without compromising how the car works

I'd recommend the STR.T/Sport spring combo over the Koni Sport/stock spring combo. for your use.

Here's why: The OEM springs are very stiff in the rear relative to the front. It sits very high. As good as adjustable shocks are they can't change spring rates.

The STR.T's will give more rebound damping (not adjustable, but better than OEM and suitable for controlling the springs well) which helps the car feel more tied-down, stable. And the ride a bit better too.

The spring change will get the front to rear wheel rates more balanced (and not pushy or understeery at all). The Cg will be lowered (and that's not a bad thing in such a heavy car). Roll and some brake dive will be cut. Dampers will also help dive in that it slows it down, but doesn't ultimately cut any out. And just so you know, springs won't cut it all out either--most is just a function of a lack of anti-dive in the front and rear suspensions.
Hi Sam,

Do you really need the Adjustable Panhard Bar if you lower the car?
Old 12/16/10, 07:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 553 Likes on 359 Posts
Since the Panhard Bar centers the rear axle, lowering the car pushes the rear end off to the left. The adjustable bar allows you to re-center it.
Old 12/17/10, 07:38 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
Since the Panhard Bar centers the rear axle, lowering the car pushes the rear end off to the left. The adjustable bar allows you to re-center it.
But, not everyone's car ends up that way, due to production tolerances. Some have not NEEDED the bar. The aftermarket pieces are generally stiffer, though.
Old 12/17/10, 09:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

NEED? No. It's not required. Never a bad idea, but not required--and very, very easy to add on @ anytime later.
Old 12/17/10, 10:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it still too late to ask if anyone has had any experience with the FRPP adjustable shocks?
Old 12/17/10, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Is it too late to ask? No.

Which ones are you referring to?
Old 12/17/10, 12:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Is it too late to ask? No.

Which ones are you referring to?
Took me a minute, but: M-18000-C

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9738

They seem limited on the adjust ability. Not really a necessary question, but I thought some might be interested if it was a somewhat worthwhile entry into adjustable shocks.

Last edited by Automagically; 12/17/10 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12/17/10, 12:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

You mean the rebadged D-specs for a premium price?

Why do that when I can do D-specs for you for $589 to your door?
Old 12/17/10, 12:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Why do that when I can do D-specs for you for $589 to your door?
Haha, good call. I think they are re-re-badged according to the Ford site. Coming from the manufacturer of the suspension for the FR500C (not the shocks I pointed out, just the company).

Anything to note about the Tokico shocks as opposed to the Koni Sport Adjustable shocks/struts?

Last edited by Automagically; 12/17/10 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12/17/10, 09:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Strano can you provide the part number for the koni sport ( yellows ) shocks F/R? I cant seem to find them anywhere. I see that you have them on your site but want to do a bit of price shopping. Thanks. I've Ran a set of koni's on every car I've ever lowered.
Old 12/18/10, 05:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 779 Likes on 568 Posts
thats kinda funny /\ /\ on several levels
Old 12/18/10, 07:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mikes5.0
Strano can you provide the part number for the koni sport ( yellows ) shocks F/R?. I see that you have them on your site but want to do a bit of price shopping.
That just showed an UNBELIEVABLE lack of class...
Old 12/18/10, 07:46 AM
Cobra Member

Strano can you provide the part number for the koni sport ( yellows ) shocks F/R? I cant seem to find them anywhere. I see that you have them on your site but want to do a bit of price shopping. Thanks. I've Ran a set of koni's on every car I've ever lowered.
Part number is GFKYSLF.***
Old 12/18/10, 10:27 AM

What an idiot !!! I can't believe you could ask somebody something so stupid.

I have been reading most Sam's posts and he is a wealth of information. The guy spills his guts for all of us to benefit from and offers to help in any way he can so we can get the best results from our cars. He sells quality parts at fair prices and his customer service is second to none. His dedication to helping people alone is worth way more then the couple of dollars you might save buying a part from someone else. He is one of the main reasons I decided to even join this forum to begin with.

If you took the time to actually read about the parts on his website you might have seen that he describes the Koni shocks AKA yellows !
Old 12/18/10, 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Talking

ARE YOU SERIOUS ABOUT THIS QUESTION?
Old 12/18/10, 10:45 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe you can get Sam to make some calls for you and haggle with other vendors so he can get you a really good price. Then he can answer some questions you might have about installation. If you're still having trouble, maybe he can take some time to get some hi def pics of the installation and talk you through it on the phone.

THINK, it's good for you!
Old 12/18/10, 11:36 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here, I took the liberty to do it for you... Koni part numbers

Originally Posted by Automagically
Haha, good call. I think they are re-re-badged according to the Ford site. Coming from the manufacturer of the suspension for the FR500C (not the shocks I pointed out, just the company).

Anything to note about the Tokico shocks as opposed to the Koni Sport Adjustable shocks/struts?
I know Shaun has the FRPP adjustables on his car, and I think the valving is different than an off-the-shelf D-spec, but I can't confirm this 100%.
Old 12/18/10, 12:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is this speculation or confirmed?

Quick Reply: This is why shocks matter.....