Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

This is why shocks matter.....

Search this Thread

Old 8/24/10, 07:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every time I get in my car, i'm glad I upgraded the shocks, struts and springs. It's not a small deal...car used to float like a boat.
Old 8/24/10, 07:31 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
Every time I get in my car, i'm glad I upgraded the shocks, struts and springs. It's not a small deal...car used to float like a boat.
I drove a 2010 gt before I bought my car and I do remember feeling more float in the 2010 vs the 2011, non brembro for me. I bet it made a big difference on your car. I don't think mine is really bad but better is always nice and that's why I am looking to upgrade. I don't plan to change out spring though because I don't care to lower the car.
Old 8/25/10, 06:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sdsguy
are 3.73 gears optimal for tracking conditions? randy pobst was saying he had to be in 3rd, if it was in 3.55's or even 3.31, allowing him to be in 2nd to get more power before shifts needed could help, no?

but the fact that the cars vary by $26K and the mustang mainly needs a different set of shocks is **** good.
Originally Posted by sam strano
My car is a 3.31 car because anything else would be too short and force me into 3rd gear when autocrossing on my Hoosiers. In fact the 3.73 is super short on stock tires, something like 60 mph max. Funny part is when you watch the video from Motor Trend you can see the M3 pull the Mustang because it's shifting so much. And I hear that they need 5th at the end of the 1/4. I think 3.73 is a hype setup more than anything and that 3.55 is probably the better drag gear. And I've very happy with my 3.31 for corner carving.

I've been saying this for MONTHS (since the gear ratios were released and I learned that 3.73's need 5th for 1/4 mile on stock power).

That's why I got mine with 3.55's
I think too many people immediately assume - shorter gearing = faster acceleration.

The Motor Trend test just proved what I've been saying for months.
Had that Mustang had the 3.55's, Randy would of been able to use 2nd gear coming out of most of those corners. He used 3rd because the gearing with the 3.73's was a bit too short for him and he felt the torque allowed him to use 3rd with the 3.73's.
However, once again the 3.55's he could of used 2nd and gotten better acceleration out of the corners.

Same with the drag racing. I keep saying, all the shifting in the 3.73's hurt you.
Notice in the videos the Mustang actually accelerates out and gets a pretty sizeable (3/4 car length) lead. But then it has to shift too much and the BMW catches up mid track.
The 3.55's would of allowed just as hard, if not harder launches, and less shifting. I don't think the M3 would of been quite as close, but probably back another 10 feet if the Mustang had the 3.55's. They wouldn't of had to run 10 drag races then to finalize which car accelerated faster.

I love my 3.55 geared car. Even with the 3.55's I feel I have to shift a decent amount. I wouldn't want the 3.73's
Old 8/25/10, 06:41 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Driver72
I've been saying this for MONTHS (since the gear ratios were released and I learned that 3.73's need 5th for 1/4 mile on stock power).

That's why I got mine with 3.55's
I think too many people immediately assume - shorter gearing = faster acceleration.

The Motor Trend test just proved what I've been saying for months.
Had that Mustang had the 3.55's, Randy would of been able to use 2nd gear coming out of most of those corners. He used 3rd because the gearing with the 3.73's was a bit too short for him and he felt the torque allowed him to use 3rd with the 3.73's.
However, once again the 3.55's he could of used 2nd and gotten better acceleration out of the corners.

Same with the drag racing. I keep saying, all the shifting in the 3.73's hurt you.
Notice in the videos the Mustang actually accelerates out and gets a pretty sizeable (3/4 car length) lead. But then it has to shift too much and the BMW catches up mid track.
The 3.55's would of allowed just as hard, if not harder launches, and less shifting. I don't think the M3 would of been quite as close, but probably back another 10 feet if the Mustang had the 3.55's. They wouldn't of had to run 10 drag races then to finalize which car accelerated faster.

I love my 3.55 geared car. Even with the 3.55's I feel I have to shift a decent amount. I wouldn't want the 3.73's
The RPM's he mentioned in 3rd were at the torque peak, which isn't a bad place to be coming out from the corner.

That said, I too haven't been convinced that 3.73's were the way to go for the reason you gave.

Last edited by PTRocks; 8/25/10 at 06:43 AM.
Old 8/25/10, 06:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
The RPM's he mentioned in 3rd were at the torque peak, which isn't a bad place to be coming out from the corner.
Yes and no.
You don't want to be at the torque peak if it's just going to cause you to spin. It also depends on the engine and gearing and traction.
There were times he was mentioning being at 3000-3500 rpms, I know he's the pro, but I'd think 2nd gear on the 3.55's at 5000 rpms would be better especially once you learn the power and track and know how much you can put down. I have a little feeling you can accelerate harder in 2nd gear at 5000 rpms with 3.55's than you can in 3rd gear at 3000+ rpms.
Old 8/25/10, 07:35 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Driver72
Yes and no.
You don't want to be at the torque peak if it's just going to cause you to spin. It also depends on the engine and gearing and traction.
There were times he was mentioning being at 3000-3500 rpms, I know he's the pro, but I'd think 2nd gear on the 3.55's at 5000 rpms would be better especially once you learn the power and track and know how much you can put down. I have a little feeling you can accelerate harder in 2nd gear at 5000 rpms with 3.55's than you can in 3rd gear at 3000+ rpms.
If we had access to a .csv file of wheel torque from someone's dyno pull, we could know for sure.
Old 8/25/10, 12:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Huskernation
I drove a 2010 gt before I bought my car and I do remember feeling more float in the 2010 vs the 2011, non brembro for me. I bet it made a big difference on your car. I don't think mine is really bad but better is always nice and that's why I am looking to upgrade. I don't plan to change out spring though because I don't care to lower the car.
The 2011's, at least with Brembo's are better than older cars---but I have yet to drive a non-Brembo car, and that version does get "upgraded" dampers, though they are better than things past there is still room for improvement. I think the worse S197 shocks were Bullitt's. They softened those things so much they about made me sea-sick.
Old 8/25/10, 01:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sam strano
The 2011's, at least with Brembo's are better than older cars---but I have yet to drive a non-Brembo car, and that version does get "upgraded" dampers, though they are better than things past there is still room for improvement. I think the worse S197 shocks were Bullitt's. They softened those things so much they about made me sea-sick.
Base Car:
Shocks feel almost floaty at times. Primarily when taking a set. Especially when turning in on a smooth roads. However on rough chip seal country roads they never feel out of control when approaching triple digits in between 40 mph turns. I will leave the interpretation up to you.

To me it feels softer but more controlled than the OEM Shocks on my 2007. If forced I would think more rebound damping and less compression damping.

Keeping with the BMW comparison I would say it feels something like the shocks on a base 528i Suspension.
Old 8/25/10, 01:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds about right.... the unwillingness to take a set is what I dislike and it pretty typical.
Old 8/25/10, 01:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Quick video---autocrossing my 5.0

Mod related because it's got different parts on it. Wheels, shocks, endlinks, brake pads, exhaust system, etc.

http://www.stranoparts.com/videos.php?VideoID=7
Old 8/25/10, 01:45 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I test drove a Brembo package equipped Mustang, and I didn't like it because it felt like an Infinity G37 that I test drove a couple of years ago. I didn't know that there were different springs that came with the Brembo package. So when I read in an article telling me that fact, I thought that I should go down and at least test drive the 2011 GT that I had ordered. I did, and it does feel a lot different then the one with the Brembo package did, so I ended up taking delivery of the 2011 that I ordered.

You would think that Ford would make that clear in their 2011 order guide? Unless, it was a last minute change?
Old 8/25/10, 05:59 PM
GT Member

Specifically, what did you notice between the 2011 GT and the Brembo package? I'd be interested to know.
Old 8/26/10, 08:30 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Well, the car with the Brembo package felt like a Infinity G37 that I test drove a couple of years ago. I felt too isolated from the road in that car. I don't like that feeling.

The non Bremo Mustang that I ordered had a little more of a road feel to me. In other words I could feel the bumps in the road a little more. It still has a comfortable ride, but it doesn't feel isolated like the Brembo package car did.

It would probably be good idea to test drive both a Brembo, and non Brembo package Mustang if you're trying to deceide between the two.

Originally Posted by JCC07
Specifically, what did you notice between the 2011 GT and the Brembo package? I'd be interested to know.
Old 8/26/10, 08:48 AM
GTR Member

Have we totally identified the parts that are different between Brembo and non-Brembo GT's? The only thing I've heard is springs, but are the shocks/struts tuned differently as well?
Old 8/26/10, 11:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

And here's the video of the laps. You can plainly see the movement and lack of set the Mustang has vs. the M3.

Pay particular attention to what Randy says @ 7:20-7:25, that sums it up.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

Last edited by sam strano; 8/26/10 at 11:29 AM.
Old 8/26/10, 03:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Shocks and springs are both different part numbers between the Brembo and the non-Brembo.
Old 8/26/10, 04:28 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Falchion
Well, the car with the Brembo package felt like a Infinity G37 that I test drove a couple of years ago. I felt too isolated from the road in that car. I don't like that feeling.

The non Bremo Mustang that I ordered had a little more of a road feel to me. In other words I could feel the bumps in the road a little more. It still has a comfortable ride, but it doesn't feel isolated like the Brembo package car did.

It would probably be good idea to test drive both a Brembo, and non Brembo package Mustang if you're trying to deceide between the two.

That's very strange. I felt the exact opposite when I test drove the non-Brembo '11. To me, that felt like a luxury car. I'm riding on the Brembo springs (though on an '08) and they are definitely a stiffer ride.
Old 8/26/10, 04:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sam, you are everywhere!
Old 8/26/10, 04:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I try to be involved.
Old 8/26/10, 06:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Gene K
Shocks and springs are both different part numbers between the Brembo and the non-Brembo.
Brembo cars also have GT500 lower control arms and rear calipers. I'm starting to wonder why they didn't they just call the Brembo package a track pack.

Quick Reply: This is why shocks matter.....