Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

This is why shocks matter.....

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/11, 01:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White__Stallion....

Looking at your list there are things that are not needed. But parts are like meds, and not everyone should have the same things, it depends on what ails them--and we find that out by talking, person to person. Everyone is different, they have different aims and ideas, and different feelings about the car's behavior.

I'm happy to help with a setup, and it'd be really cool if I was so easy to do that I could just do it by e-mail--but I can't. Not if you really want to make sure you are doing the best parts for what you want to get done.

So it's always, ALWAYS best to call me. I'm swamped lately, and it might take time--maybe even a few days--for me to get back to you (or you can keep trying). But I promise it'll be worth the conversation.
Old 2/22/11, 04:08 AM

Thanks Sam...I'll give you a ring.
Old 5/20/11, 05:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sam strano
Hmmmm, that's one I have not yet been presented with in such a blunt way. We are clearly trying to fit a budget, without compromising how the car works

I'd recommend the STR.T/Sport spring combo over the Koni Sport/stock spring combo. for your use.

Here's why: The OEM springs are very stiff in the rear relative to the front. It sits very high. As good as adjustable shocks are they can't change spring rates.

The STR.T's will give more rebound damping (not adjustable, but better than OEM and suitable for controlling the springs well) which helps the car feel more tied-down, stable. And the ride a bit better too.

The spring change will get the front to rear wheel rates more balanced (and not pushy or understeery at all). The Cg will be lowered (and that's not a bad thing in such a heavy car). Roll and some brake dive will be cut. Dampers will also help dive in that it slows it down, but doesn't ultimately cut any out. And just so you know, springs won't cut it all out either--most is just a function of a lack of anti-dive in the front and rear suspensions.
Thanks Sam for the suggestion, last week I installed that setup, and the car looks great, handles great, the headache of the bouncing above 70MPH completely gone. . Is a complete different car, at least it feels much more stable. KONI + STEEDA sport springs, is a definitive MUST on the '11 + GT. I wonder why the Mustang did not came that way.
Old 5/20/11, 05:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by M3hunter
I wonder why the Mustang did not came that way.
because the shocks/struts/springs that came with the car cost ford a fraction of the price these better setups cost and the bean counters ALWAYS get their way.

It beats the SS around a track and at the strip but not the GT500 or the Boss. My opinion is that is what their goal was. Want a better handling car? Ohhh just pay an extra ten grand for the boss! = more money in ford's pocket.
Old 5/23/11, 08:27 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by M3hunter
I wonder why the Mustang did not came that way.
They're building a car to meet a price point. What else can you get with a base price of less than $30K that has over 400 hp? And the majority of Mustang owners are going to be satisfied with it as it is. It would have been nice is they had offered the Steeda Sport Spring and Koni SRT.T package as a factory option, though.
Old 5/23/11, 10:06 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
They're building a car to meet a price point. What else can you get with a base price of less than $30K that has over 400 hp? And the majority of Mustang owners are going to be satisfied with it as it is. It would have been nice is they had offered the Steeda Sport Spring and Koni SRT.T package as a factory option, though.
Ford Racing does offer a similar option.
Old 10/10/11, 03:15 PM

I finally got around to putting the Koni Sports I got from our man Sam on my 12k mile '11 GT Brembo car. I left the stock Brembo springs in place and use Maximum Motorsports camber plates in front. Wow. They paid for themselves on my drive to work this morning. Several roads I use are paved in concrete and my Mustang used to pogo like crazy! It was bad enough to make you slightly ill if you just had a gallon of coffee before leaving for work. The Konis settled that down completely. You still feel the pavement gaps but no more bouncy bouncy ride.

I will probably fiddle with the adjustment but it's so good at one full turn up from soft that I doubt I will change it much....unless....could it get even better? Thanks Sam! I have bought a lot of Bilsteins in the past for many BMWs but am very glad I went with the Koni Sports for this Mustang.

...ned.
Old 10/10/11, 03:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I find myself adjusting mine all the time. I love it. I have setting ranges I like for street and for on-#censored# use, and enjoy being able to tweak it as my setup evolves.
Old 10/11/11, 05:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I liked my konis w/ eibachs set at 1/2 turn up from full soft for the street F/R, and 1.5 turns up Front, 1.75 turns up rear for #censored# use
Old 10/14/11, 12:38 AM

Why is your post censored?

Race use?
Old 10/14/11, 08:33 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Digital_Synapse

Race use?
It's a joke.
Old 10/14/11, 10:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Synapse

Race use?
BECAUSE RACE CAR
Old 10/14/11, 10:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
BECAUSE *CENSORED* CAR
weird.
Old 10/14/11, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
weird.
lol, whatever man.
Old 10/14/11, 05:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

turning koni ***** void warranties. BRC.
Old 10/17/11, 06:14 AM

Old 10/17/11, 07:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best thing I ever did was listen to Sam about what to do with my suspension. With the STR.T's and the Steeda Ultralites, my car went from a body rolling, diving and squatting fun car to a handles like my old Civic SI car but with the power of a Mustang! It makes the car feel as though it has lost a thousand pounds when I'm in the twisties and when I get on the gas too hard coming out of a corner and the rear end steps out, it's much easier to control the car through the corner even while letting off the gas a bit to stop the wheel spin.

The only think better would be an upgrade to the Sports for the adjustability.
Old 10/18/11, 09:44 AM
Cobra Member

Interesting reads:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets18.html

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html
Old 10/18/11, 04:24 PM

thanks!
Old 10/19/11, 08:25 PM
V6 Member

thanks!

Quick Reply: This is why shocks matter.....