Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

This is why shocks matter.....

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/10, 07:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06GT
Is this speculation or confirmed?
On the Speed Channel special I distinctly saw Tokico on the shock. That said there were parts on those test mules that clearly weren't part of the finished product, including the gauge package on the dash for the LS.
Old 12/20/10, 09:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
Here, I took the liberty to do it for you... Koni part numbers

I know Shaun has the FRPP adjustables on his car, and I think the valving is different than an off-the-shelf D-spec, but I can't confirm this 100%.
You're right, I forgot about that. I'll ask Shaun.
Old 12/20/10, 03:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Koni parts numbers are not a secret. I am not going to tell them to you so you can shop around. If you want to shop around, that's fine because despite my "being around" to talk to and ask questions--my prices are pretty darn good too.

As for the Tokico's on the Boss, those aren't the same things--they look to use an Illumina type mechanism rather than the D-spec... Don't know what that's about, because in cars that have both available (like SN95's) I've found the D-spec to be a superior damper--ought to be it's a much newer design.

I'm sure the Boss damper is specifically tuned by someone, just like every car has a damper that's tuned to it (say a normal GT). This ought to be better, but still looks like it might try a bit too hard to be a jack of all trades. I have a Brembo GT, I didn't love the dampers, and the admit that the 1 setting of the Boss shocks will mimic the Brembo GT stuff, what happens then? Don't know, yet.
Old 12/20/10, 04:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by sam strano
The Koni parts numbers are not a secret. I am not going to tell them to you so you can shop around. If you want to shop around, that's fine because despite my "being around" to talk to and ask questions--my prices are pretty darn good too.

As for the Tokico's on the Boss, those aren't the same things--they look to use an Illumina type mechanism rather than the D-spec... Don't know what that's about, because in cars that have both available (like SN95's) I've found the D-spec to be a superior damper--ought to be it's a much newer design.

I'm sure the Boss damper is specifically tuned by someone, just like every car has a damper that's tuned to it (say a normal GT). This ought to be better, but still looks like it might try a bit too hard to be a jack of all trades. I have a Brembo GT, I didn't love the dampers, and the admit that the 1 setting of the Boss shocks will mimic the Brembo GT stuff, what happens then? Don't know, yet.
What you probably won't get shopping around (at least I haven't gotten this much help before even being a customer) is a vendor that will listen to what you plan to do with the car, and then spend the time to explain the most cost effective and logical approach for you. I contacted Sam about ordering caster/camber plates for the new Boss I have going into production in a month. After we talked through it, we decided to hold off on those for now until we get a better feel for how the factory suspension performs on the track. He did however recommend a Fays2 Watts link. From having a Watts link on the GT500 and the huge difference it made planting the rear end during acceleration out of corners I am a big fan. So I ordered one....from Sam.
Old 12/20/10, 05:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was a little too busy to make this statement earlier, but I'm back to do it now....

I want to thank you folks for the support shown, particular after post #112. I'm glad there are still folks around that "get it" and that selling parts involves more than just selling the parts. I sell parts and provide information as a free part of that service. You can buy the parts, maybe even cheaper (though generally my pricing is very competitive)--but you aren't going to get the level of information or support from the big-box kind of stores.
Old 12/20/10, 11:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cloud9/Sam:

Are you guys sure the FAYS2 is going to clear the BOSS's diff cover w/ the heatsink fins? Or does the FAYS2 replace the diff cover altogether?
Old 12/21/10, 09:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
Cloud9/Sam:

Are you guys sure the FAYS2 is going to clear the BOSS's diff cover w/ the heatsink fins? Or does the FAYS2 replace the diff cover altogether?
*Nevermind, I'm an idiot.

Last edited by Automagically; 12/21/10 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12/21/10, 09:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Fays2 does NOT replace the diff cover. Anyone have a Boss yet? I can't know for sure if it'll clear, but it does clear the low-profile FRPP cover, I suspect it'll clear the Boss cover too--but welcome to the world of "new things". Worse comes to worse he changes covers, the 8.8 isn't prone to burning up.
Old 12/21/10, 09:59 AM
Bullitt Member

The Fays2 does not replace the diff cover. There *may* be room for the finned cover, but it will be tight.

DSC00405 by jsnyng, on Flickr
Old 12/21/10, 10:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jsnyng
The Fays2 does not replace the diff cover. There *may* be room for the finned cover, but it will be tight.
Agree..Here's another shot:
Old 12/21/10, 10:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Modshack
Agree..Here's another shot:
Your photography-fu is much stronger than mine.
Old 12/21/10, 10:09 AM

Fays2 does NOT replace the diff cover. Anyone have a Boss yet? I can't know for sure if it'll clear, but it does clear the low-profile FRPP cover, I suspect it'll clear the Boss cover too--but welcome to the world of "new things". Worse comes to worse he changes covers, the 8.8 isn't prone to burning up.
Sam--the BOSS uses the same cover that's on the '11 GT500 SVTPP, if that helps for application reference.
Old 12/21/10, 10:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Good to know, but not sure it helps here because I don't know if any customers have that car either.
Old 12/21/10, 03:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sooo, I just found out that the Fays2 Watts link does clear with the finned/cooling diff cover the the Boss and some GT500's come with.
Old 12/21/10, 03:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Sooo, I just found out that the Fays2 Watts link does clear with the finned/cooling diff cover the the Boss and some GT500's come with.
Whew! Hopefully it also clears that big rear sway bar

Last edited by cloud9; 12/21/10 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12/21/10, 04:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Is this the real Sam strano. We are getting suspension advice from a legend
Old 12/21/10, 04:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well Sam I am on a budget. I have a 2000 gt. I want a dual purpose car. One that can carve corners and still hook up on the strip. I am aware I will need ucas and lcas. A panhard bar would be smart too. What would you suggest to a father of 2 and has a wife who is re-educating and therefore I am the sole breadwinner in the household. And might you have used parts you can give your stamp of approval on
Old 12/21/10, 08:50 PM

outstanding
Old 12/21/10, 09:52 PM

Really thumbs up!
Old 1/19/11, 09:13 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm late to the party here but some google sleuthing led me to this thread. I usually frequent the other mustang forums but since there's good info here, I figured I'd join here as well specifically in looking for suspension advice.

After pouring through this long thread, I've come to the conclusion that for the AVERAGE driver, the steeda sports and Koni STR's would be the most cost effective setup for a more competent street ride.. or no?

I used to have a 97 GT that I had the tokico illuminas and started with the intrax springs then went to the eibach pro and neither of them were very comfortable. Even with the illuminas set to their softest setting, it was still a very harsh ride.

My current car (a 98 Volvo S70 T5) though not world renowned for it's handling abilities, I've put a set of B&G springs and the koni 3 way sport shocks and struts along with upgraded swaybars, endlinks, etc on the car. Handling is dramatically better but again, even at the softest settings on the koni's the ride isn't very pleasing for long trips.

My wife, until last week, had a 99 volvo S70T5 and when we upgraded her suspension stuff, we went with the non adjustable Bilstein touring shocks/struts and H&R springs. While there is a bit more body roll in corners with her car, the ride quality is significantly better and much easier to deal with on long trips and as such, was our car we took on trips until it's transmission finally bit the big one.

To get to my question here, I've got a 2012 Gt w/brembo pack ordered and after driving a couple of the 2011 brembo equipped GT's, I know that the first thing I want to do is suspension work but I want to get it right the first time. Sam, I have had your website bookmarked for quite a while now as I'm also interested in your UMI anti hop stage 1 kit LCA's and adjustable poly bushing upper control arm to help w/traction and wheel hop and I'm wanting to just order it all and knock it all out at once while I've got the lift.

I do not plan on racing at the strip or doing any auto cross or solo 2 events or any other type of of track/timed event. I simply want a suspension that can not only lower the car about an inch to improve the stance but also one that will still offer a smooth but not mushy ride.

I don't want to pay for another set of the koni sports if I'm just going to set it on the softest setting and never mess with it ever again. If the STR's can tighten up the suspension enough to improve the handling but not degrade the comfort, that's what I want. I don't have any experience with the Tokico D-specs though if they will offer a smoother/better ride than the STR's when the car is lowered I don't mind paying a few more bucks.

I hesitate to say that I want an OEM quality ride because if that's what I was after, I wouldn't touch anything. I know some compromise has to happen but I know that there IS a setup that can deliver better handling and a better stance without sacrificing too much of the comfort that the OEM suspension has. Basically, if you had no interest in racing and had to do long interstate commutes but wanted to upgrade the suspension, what would YOU install?

Thanks for your time!

- Drew

Quick Reply: This is why shocks matter.....