Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

MGW Shifter Ordered

Search this Thread

Old 3/17/12, 05:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, finished up about 345ish. Haven't gotten to drive really. Did a quick run around the block and so far my impressions are I can't get into reverse and that it's very noisy. Will post back after a longer ride.
Old 3/17/12, 05:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Well, finished up about 345ish. Haven't gotten to drive really. Did a quick run around the block and so far my impressions are I can't get into reverse and that it's very noisy. Will post back after a longer ride.
Check the spring. Did you use any dynomat?
Old 3/17/12, 07:18 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Hytek

I can't wait then! My reverse spring must be so loose because I can't really tell sometimes between 1st and reverse. I hate having to think about which gear I'm going in.
Yeah the spring will be very stiff at first. As George stated it will be that way for the first 500 miles or so, but will be just perfect after that. I just have about 500 miles on the shifter and its even more sweet now.

As for it being stiff too, compared to stock, now you KNOW you are in your desired gear and you know what gear it actually is in.

John, have you driven a 5.0 with an mgw shifter installed?

2012gtcs, did you use ALL the dynomat provided? And put it in the recommended spots? And as for the stiffness it will get much much better.
Old 3/17/12, 07:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I haven't driven one with it yet. Mine will probably be the first.
Old 3/17/12, 08:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012gtcs.....im just glad all the parts were there...lol
I think you will see what I was referring to regarding noise. Like I said I love my Barton and bracket...little noise and super short throw....and a lot less noise. Mgw is a super nice part but with the hassle of the install I just couldnt see the real benefit over my Barton. Mgw might be a little over engineered hence the hassle putting it in. its all really a matter of taste I guess...anyway enjoy! The stock shifter sucks...till you drive one thats been replaced you cant possibly realize how bad it does
Old 3/17/12, 08:51 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by hireman
The stock shifter sucks...till you drive one thats been replaced you cant possibly realize how bad it does
This is the truth....
Old 3/18/12, 04:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Well after the first quick run I think I was nervous it wasn't installed right b/c of no reverse. So i was keen to every little sound. Ive since found reverse and realized how to get into it lol. F you simply push down and over u are NOT in reverse, you actually go to 1st lol. I find it easier to go Over, down, then you need to push over even more, then up.

I just find it noisy in first and second, especially under 2500 rpm. Almost a chunky rattling sound. I was thinking its the shifter or my install but there's no actual parts to move. It's probably
just more noise transferred thru the shifter.

I'm always worried after an install so I'm listening to every little thing so don't take this as the sound is unbearable. Its not THAT bad. Just at lower rpm you hear a lot of that rattly gear sound and noticed when going into slanted driveway I get some noise too like a rattle back and forth.

Overall, I really like the shifter and I will probably like it much better after cruising tomorrow. It will just take some getting used to the new feel and adjusting to it.
Old 3/18/12, 06:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Glad to hear you found reverse lol. The shifter is going to be noisier than the stock pos. That's why the stock one is so flimsy, the average consumer would complain like crazy hearing it all the time. Also the reason why shifts are missed and it feels so spongy. Now you have a direct connection to the trans. You might want to get some more dynomat. When my buddy put his in he bought a whole extra sheet from a stereo store and lined it under the console and that helped. I'll be doing the same with mine.
Old 3/18/12, 07:24 AM
I Have No Life

Anthony, glad you got the install complete and are liking it so far. Yes you can hear more of the tranny but I don't even notice it because I'm so busy wiping the drool off my face as I'm shifting

But as John said, try to use more dynomat if you want. Did you finish the whole sheet mgw gave?
Old 3/18/12, 07:47 AM
MJN
GT Member

Man I have been trying to tell myself I dont need this but the longer this thread gets the more and more I want to add this to my must have list just a bit worried about the noise still, But just the other day I had a bit of a problem getting it to go into fifth. Pushed it in and it just seemed to reject me, lol maybe it was me just thinking of the MGW more
Old 3/18/12, 09:07 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by MJN
Man I have been trying to tell myself I dont need this but the longer this thread gets the more and more I want to add this to my must have list just a bit worried about the noise still, But just the other day I had a bit of a problem getting it to go into fifth. Pushed it in and it just seemed to reject me, lol maybe it was me just thinking of the MGW more
And the infection continues
Old 3/18/12, 09:38 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MJN
Honestly the payoff and knowing for a fact the next gear you select will be there vs wondering is worth it,
Its like anything if you want to improve in one way theres usually a drawback in another, ill take the perfect shifts over the noise anytime..Just remember it eill be alittle stiff for awhile till the springs loses its tensile..
Old 3/18/12, 11:29 AM
MJN
GT Member

Originally Posted by UnrealFord

Honestly the payoff and knowing for a fact the next gear you select will be there vs wondering is worth it,
Its like anything if you want to improve in one way theres usually a drawback in another, ill take the perfect shifts over the noise anytime..Just remember it eill be alittle stiff for awhile till the springs loses its tensile..
Your not helping this at all lol. The way I think of the noise is kinda like the older transmissions with little more gear noise and then when just going into the gear as the shifter clicks through. Maybe im way off lol
Old 3/18/12, 07:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Is that rattling/spinning/clunking the tranny you hear?! It's more prevalent in 1-3, under 2500 rpm. I get a little more whine in 4th too when I lay into it.

The shifter is awesome, I got some driving in today and it really does shift nice. If u give it a nice push into gear, you get the clunk into gear sound which is cool. But If u aren't so hard on it, it can be perfectly silent.

Oh, and the dynamat, yes I used it all. I even got a piece on the bottom of the shifter clamshell but not as much as I'd like. I think the dynamat needs to be thicker. Heres a few pics of my masterful dynamat job....
Attached Thumbnails MGW Shifter Ordered-image-1254377241.jpg   MGW Shifter Ordered-image-1327642451.jpg   MGW Shifter Ordered-image-867757661.jpg  
Old 3/18/12, 08:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Is that rattling/spinning/clunking the tranny you hear?! It's more prevalent in 1-3, under 2500 rpm. I get a little more whine in 4th too when I lay into it.

The shifter is awesome, I got some driving in today and it really does shift nice. If u give it a nice push into gear, you get the clunk into gear sound which is cool. But If u aren't so hard on it, it can be perfectly silent.

Oh, and the dynamat, yes I used it all. I even got a piece on the bottom of the shifter clamshell but not as much as I'd like. I think the dynamat needs to be thicker. Heres a few pics of my masterful dynamat job....
How the heck did you get the boot around hole with so much dynomat so close to the edge?
Yes noise 1-2 and 2 nd 3 going slow. Its all transmission sounds not shifter..
The Fotd factory rear shifter mount isolated it.

Last edited by UnrealFord; 3/19/12 at 05:39 PM.
Old 3/18/12, 11:36 PM
Cobra R Member

I don't think it had any affect on it?? I just got the boot into the groove first, then worked it into the opening. The first time around, the last piece to tuck under was at the bottom right. If you remember, that's where that tight bolt was, and there's not much room. Had to redo, finishing up at the top where there's plenty of room. Oh, and to help it I used a small butter knife to get it in.

Im going to post up some tips for others to refer to when they do their installs. Hopefully I remember the troublesome points.
Old 3/19/12, 05:36 PM
GT Member

So this noise is it noticeable when you have your stereo going at a good volume? I am exteremly picky when it comes to whines and clungs and rattles.
Old 3/19/12, 05:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 5PTOHH
So this noise is it noticeable when you have your stereo going at a good volume? I am exteremly picky when it comes to whines and clungs and rattles.
No with the radio on even at a normal range you wont hear it.
Old 3/19/12, 05:41 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by UnrealFord
No with the radio on even at a normal range you wont hear it.

Good stuff thanks.
Old 3/19/12, 06:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Yeah once u have the radio on or Even just opening the windows is enough to drown out the sound.

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter Ordered