Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What did you do to your '10-'14 today?

Search this Thread

Old 5/7/15, 02:24 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by VidPro
My plan was to post my car with the rocker moldings painted black but I have this instead...

I have a long list of horror stories about my cars at body shops. Today I have a new one.

I brought my sub 1500 mile 2014 Mustang GT convertible to my local dealer body shop to have my lower rocker moldings painted satin black. It’s something I wanted to do myself or at least take them off and delivering them to the shop but I couldn’t find the time. I also thought taking them of without a lift would be tough. Anyway I drop off my car to the shop on Monday. Today I finally get the call that it’s ready. Now my car is my weekend fun car that sits in my driveway covered when not in use and I know every single inch of the car and the finish which is basically flawless. The minute I look over the car on the lower front fender near the rocker molding is a deep through the clear scratch. FUMING! Of course I get the "it was there” standard comment but my general demeanor and use of colorful language convinced them otherwise. Actually one of the body shop guys came out and was honest and said he knew it wasn’t there when I brought it in. He made comment that it’s the cleanest car he’s ever worked on. That told him right there I’m somewhat of a fanatic about keeping this car in as perfect condition as possible. So the car stays another day to have the fender painted. New car with hood blisters fixed and now fender paint.

My friend always warns me of having extra work done because of stuff like this and I should have listened.

Bro, never have any aspect of your car painted by any of these body shops and the retards who work for them. Trust me man, ive had a few horror stories. They always mess up no matter what. As for the scratch i would take it to a detailer and have them try to correct it, its much less invasive and the chances of something going wrong are greatly reduced. Make sure these body shop guys mask off all your wheels, and the whole car, typical for overspray to be on the car when theyre done with it.
Old 5/7/15, 03:22 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts
I just got back. I got a call after I posted the above that the body guys were able to reduce it to almost invisible but he would paint it even if I wanted it to be painted. So I got up there to look at it and it's slightly visible where they had parked in that particular light and so I took it. The rocker moldings look great those came out fantastic. I love the satin finish on them and they look really nice. But the scratch is visible in the light it's in now so I'm pretty pissed and actually a little depressed. I don't mind creating my own little mistakes (I still get upset and pissed) as much as they bother me stuff happens but when you take a car to a body shop to have a piece pulled off and painted and they scratch a body panel I just don't get it.

I understand what you're saying about body shops and I usually look for a body shop like I might look for a doctor. These guys have done work for me before and They've done really really nice work. That includes fixing the corrosion on my brand-new car as well and making it look great, that's why I gave this a bodyshop a chance to do some cosmetic work.

Anyway I need to chill out have a few beers and forget about it for now. I think I may put lower rocker stripes on. That was part of the plan anyway and I'll cover up the the leftover scratch.

It sucks that I won't have the car for another couple of days. Tomorrow I have some parts coming in including MMD side scoops that I've been dying to put on the car. The only plus is painting a rocker moldings satin black looks pretty awesome to me.

Last edited by VidPro; 5/7/15 at 05:43 PM.
Old 5/7/15, 03:43 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
^ don't settle man. You're settling.

Get it fixed, get it done right. Ask me how I know. The worry and the bother is not worth it. Have it fixed and done right!
Old 5/7/15, 03:47 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
^ don't settle man. You're settling. Get it fixed, get it done right. Ask me how I know. The worry and the bother is not worth it. Have it fixed and done right!
So you'd go for the full paint job on panel? That's my gut instinct but I was worn down so I just left.
Old 5/7/15, 04:01 PM
Legacy Tms Member

You're right I'm settling. I ran outside to look at it again to see if I was making too much of a big deal out of it. But in the sun the scratches clearly visible and I don't think I should have to go by rocker panel stripes to hide him state that they made so I just called him and left a message. I hope I can drop it off in the morning and just let them fix it.

If you zoom in you can see it. It's difficult to get a good pic.

Edit: leaving it tomorrow morning. Just called them and told the manager I'm not happy. He said bring it in and we'll make sure it's right.

Last edited by VidPro; 5/7/15 at 04:19 PM.
Old 5/7/15, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got my cluster back with sync odometer, I took it to Ford and got my keys re-learned and i am loving it. Can't wait for night fall to play with the colors and get them to my liking.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your '10-'14 today?-new-cluster.jpg  

Last edited by greyghost14; 5/7/15 at 07:01 PM.
Old 5/7/15, 08:09 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
I finally got some decent pics in direct light to show off my "new" finish. I finally used my Porter Cable DA buffer for the very first time....I've never used any machine before. I'm very proud of the results. The reflection is a mile deep, and the paint looks like it's wet and melting. I was able to correct about 90% of the surface defects and holograms. The guy who runs the cruise nite where this was taken tonite is a professional auto detailer. He pointed out a few small things, gave me some tips, but said that overall this is the look he strives for on black cars.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your '10-'14 today?-c007.jpg   What did you do to your '10-'14 today?-c007b.jpg  
Old 5/7/15, 09:10 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
I finally got some decent pics in direct light to show off my "new" finish. I finally used my Porter Cable DA buffer for the very first time....I've never used any machine before. I'm very proud of the results. The reflection is a mile deep, and the paint looks like it's wet and melting. I was able to correct about 90% of the surface defects and holograms. The guy who runs the cruise nite where this was taken tonite is a professional auto detailer. He pointed out a few small things, gave me some tips, but said that overall this is the look he strives for on black cars.
Looking fabulous man
Old 5/7/15, 10:01 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Nothing like a clean black car.
Old 5/7/15, 11:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You're right I'm settling. I ran outside to look at it again to see if I was making too much of a big deal out of it. But in the sun the scratches clearly visible and I don't think I should have to go by rocker panel stripes to hide him state that they made so I just called him and left a message. I hope I can drop it off in the morning and just let them fix it.

If you zoom in you can see it. It's difficult to get a good pic.

Edit: leaving it tomorrow morning. Just called them and told the manager I'm not happy. He said bring it in and we'll make sure it's right.
Dont do it. Just leave it man. Thats one of the hardest panels on the car to paint. When they re paint it the whole panel will stick out. They will also buff the rest of the car to make it blend in more and you will have buffer trails and swirls all over. Just leave it man. Only you will ever notice this tiny micro scratch. Cars are cars, and no matter what you cant prevent them from getting some kind of scuff, scrape or ding. This is so minuscule that its honestly not worth your time or your nerves. Painting the whole panel is so invasive, and it will always be visible and known that the car was repainted as soon as you put a meter to the paint. Its nothing man, car looks great, the less invasive the best. Kept it all original.
Old 5/8/15, 03:59 AM
Legacy Tms Member

I know what you're saying but like FromZto5
I won't be able to rest until it's done right. It's a personality trait I wish I sometimes didn't have. I'm getting ready to take it up there now. Updates soon I hope.
Old 5/8/15, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Updated the cluster
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your '10-'14 today?-old-new-cluster.jpg  
Old 5/8/15, 08:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great!
Old 5/8/15, 11:58 AM
I Have No Life

So you'd go for the full paint job on panel? That's my gut instinct but I was worn down so I just left.
Vid, I'm sorry to put you through this and influence you one way or another, but I can tell, you and I are similar in the fact that, we won't settle for anything less than perfection, or at least close to perfection. Am I right? It's how we apply ourselves in life, thus it's what we EXPECT from others. Meaning, I wouldn't put out a less then stellar job to my customer, and therefore I wouldn't accept anything less either. Talk the talk, walk the walk. We have standards, albeit HIGH standards, of ourselves and of others. It's what I preach, and I sure hope I practice it.

(I have my Acura back at the detailing shop to fix a couple spots where I found dirt trapped underneath the Xpel, and a few spots where it lifted the edges. I'm not happy.)

That being said, that scratch is visible. If it's visible in a photo, it's more visible in person. Am I right?

As far as painting it, there are many ways to tackle that now, I'm not a pro at painting by any means, but the shop that I trust, they sometimes don't have to "repaint" the whole panel. What they do is scuff off the clear coat from the panel, then the general area, fix the defect via paint/etc... then blend that plus the clear coat. I don't think they remove the paint from the ENTIRE panel. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong). An excellent, reputable shop will make that thing perfect you won't notice a DIFFERENCE. I know, because I've had work like that done many times.

Originally Posted by xtc.inc
Dont do it. Just leave it man. Thats one of the hardest panels on the car to paint. When they re paint it the whole panel will stick out. They will also buff the rest of the car to make it blend in more and you will have buffer trails and swirls all over. Just leave it man. Only you will ever notice this tiny micro scratch. Cars are cars, and no matter what you cant prevent them from getting some kind of scuff, scrape or ding. This is so minuscule that its honestly not worth your time or your nerves. Painting the whole panel is so invasive, and it will always be visible and known that the car was repainted as soon as you put a meter to the paint. Its nothing man, car looks great, the less invasive the best. Kept it all original.
Alex... I have to disagree. Sorry buddy. I love you and all though, you know that

Professional excellent paint/detailing shops will do that PERFECT. They have to be GOOD though. If I can find a couple places here that do it perfect, you guys in bigger cities will have no issue. As far as buffer trails, those are called holograms. And those are only existent on panels that are treated by SEVERELY INEXPERIENCED detailers. I can fix that for you in under 10 minutes for an entire panel. A good paint/detailing shop should not apply swirls and holograms in the first place. And if they do, it's easy to fix. Cuts in the clear coat like VidPro's scratch are not.

I know what you're saying but like FromZto5
I won't be able to rest until it's done right. It's a personality trait I wish I sometimes didn't have. I'm getting ready to take it up there now. Updates soon I hope.
Amen. See my comments above. Keep us posted.

Last edited by FromZto5; 5/8/15 at 12:08 PM.
Old 5/8/15, 02:44 PM
Legacy Tms Member

No problem. We are exactly alike. Yes it was more noticeable in person. I'm not talking about crawling around the car to see it. I'm talking just looking at it normally. On my 2000 I had scratch in the same exact spot and they were able to fix that one are to perfection. It can be done and it can be done perfectly.

So I got the call it's done. I took it. It's not 100% where it should be if they wanted to say that they did it right. He told me they were able to blend in that section. Clear looks great and the blend is perfect. I can't see any issues. What they did was beat up the the paint under it a bit to get the scratch out so there's kind of a brighter spot under the clear. It's not terrible and I probably have worse defects from the factory so it is what it is. I still really want rocker stripes so that will hide it and there won't be any scratch poking through the vinyl.

Sometimes you have to cut your losses. If I ran the shop I wouldn't have let the car go. As a matter of fact if I saw that scratch the first time I would have said that needs to be fixed before we call the customer. They are always banking on customers who are not going to notice. I've been through this dance before. They wear you down and then they finally get rid of you. I'm also the type of person who hates to be a pain in the ***. So eventually I'll just walk away and grit my teeth. I'll never understand why not just do it right the first time.

Last edited by VidPro; 5/8/15 at 03:05 PM.
Old 5/8/15, 03:05 PM
I Have No Life

No problem. We are exactly alike. Yes it was more noticeable in person. I'm not talking about crawling around the car to see it. I'm talking just looking at it normally. On my 2000 I had scratch in the same exact spot and they were able to fix that one are to perfection. It can be done and it can be done perfectly.

So I got the call it's done. I took it. It's not 100% where it should be if they wanted to say that they did it right. He told me they were able to blend in that section. Clear looks great and the blend is perfect. I can't see any issues. What they did was beat up the the paint under it a bit to get the scratch out so there's kind of a brighter spot under the clear. It's not terrible and I probably have worse defects from the factory so it is what it is. I still really want rocker stripes so that will hide it and there won't be any scratch poking through the vinyl.

Sometimes you have to cut your losses. If I ran the shop I wouldn't have let the car go. As a matter of fact I when I saw that scratch the first time I would have said that needs to be fixed before we call the customer. They are always banking on customers who are not going to notice. I've been through this dance before. They wear you down and then they finally get rid of you. I'll never understand why not just do it right the first time.
You're right on this point. Some shops do this, but surprisingly, there's some real good honest shops too. Some mistakes are real mistakes, meaning they didn't catch it by omission. Others are blatant. Hopefully yours was the former.

As to your current status, that's good news! Sounds like it was repaired to your satisfaction. Just keep an eye on it and hopefully you get it striped anyways (my :2cents:, don't stripe it! I like paint )

Last edited by FromZto5; 5/8/15 at 03:06 PM.
Old 5/8/15, 03:12 PM
Legacy Tms Member

My buddy who's another Mustang guy and general car nut is always joking about buying a new car and being a nut like me. He told me this being my first brand-new car that I should probably get the 100,000 mile bumper to bumper therapy package from Ford.
Old 5/8/15, 03:20 PM
I Have No Life

^ we are all sick together.

AAA

Automotive Addicts Anonymous
Old 5/8/15, 04:17 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,224 Posts
Looks killer Tom.
Good job!
Old 5/8/15, 06:50 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
Looks killer Tom.
Good job!
Thanks Tony. How 'bout more pics of yours?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your '10-'14 today?