Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hmmmm friday night drags at firebird?
Old 9/7/12, 04:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
yawn
Old 9/8/12, 05:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just read this thread and I'd like to say I'm sorry for what happened to your car. I hope you have it on the road soon, but looking at the dates seems like that may have already happened. I tried to make a donation but that's closed it appears.

I have a '11 GT with a tune from Brenspeed. All the majors tuners say their tunes won't cause a catastrophic failure of ole #8, but it happens from time to time. Who is to blame for these engine failures I don't know. My question is how can one protect against this type of failure? Should I have my pistons replaced? remove the tune? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 9/8/12, 05:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Big Poppa
I just read this thread and I'd like to say I'm sorry for what happened to your car. I hope you have it on the road soon, but looking at the dates seems like that may have already happened. I tried to make a donation but that's closed it appears.

I have a '11 GT with a tune from Brenspeed. All the majors tuners say their tunes won't cause a catastrophic failure of ole #8, but it happens from time to time. Who is to blame for these engine failures I don't know. My question is how can one protect against this type of failure? Should I have my pistons replaced? remove the tune? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
By now many tuners have figured out how NOT to blow motors, but if you wanna be safe get it checked on the dyno or do some datalogging. Check and make sure that the tuner does not desensitize the knock sensors either. Some tuners will desensitize these and this will prevent the PCM from retarding the timing under lean conditions which will cause the motor to pop. From many threads and stories I've heard #8 isn't anymore likely than other other cylinder to detonate.
Old 9/8/12, 11:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
had my *** kicked by this project today, need to order the following:

Dipstick, tube, and fitting for the valvecover
a new CHT sensor
knock sensor harness isn't part of the main harness.

Can't get the motor to engage the input shaft on the transmission, but will continue tomorrow.

Here's some pics from today, and yes, the oil pan is painted pink (there's a long story behind it, but for later. In short, my friends have a twisted sense of humor):

Old 9/9/12, 04:27 AM
Bullitt Member

That's great!! Glad you're getting it all together. Hopefully it goes more smooth from here on out
Old 9/9/12, 12:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just think how easy it will be to spot oil leaks with the pan painted pink!

BUT... Do you have the Hello Kitty sticker on it for 10+ HP?
Old 9/9/12, 12:22 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my five hundred has that hello kitty sticker.
Old 9/9/12, 01:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, stress, expense, time... hope it turns out just like you want. Of course we are all interested in numbers. Specifically horse power and dollars. I hope they are appropriately high and low. Good luck.
Old 9/9/12, 07:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Nice new hood!! That's going to look great. Good luck with your build
Old 9/9/12, 11:10 PM

OMG that is my thumb in the radiator pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!
Old 9/10/12, 01:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

More done today, successfully mated the transmission after getting an alignment tool (it doesn't matter how close it looks, it will not mate unless the alignment of the 2 discs and pilot bearing are perfect).

Down to a short(er) list of remaining items:
-reinstall Z brace
-install AC compressor and belt (how does one do this?)
-install lower body trays
-torque steering column nuts, shaft bolt
-bleed clutch, brakes
-replace ball/socket clamps under exhaust (current ones bottom out before getting any bit tight on the jegs cat deletes)
-complete plumbing of coolant lines, install overflow bottle
-order and install knock sensor subharness
-order and install cylinder head temp sensor
-order and install dipstick tube and dipstick
-order and install larger coupler for throttle body to mate to JLT cai
-trim JLT airbox, build partial cover for water collection
-install cai, remaining front hardware, bumper cover
-fill water
-test fire motor, let idle until temps normalize. rev check to 4000rpm for misfire, drive around block. Check tire pressures, drive home. Sleep after a beer.
-get through tuning with Shaun at AED, get through paint with Phoenix Collision and Custom Paint, and install some gauges.

here are some pictures from today:

Old 9/10/12, 02:52 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gettin' closer!
Old 9/10/12, 09:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
I like that last photo for some reason. Has a - dare I say it? - "Autobot"/Transformers look about it.

Looking good so far!
Old 9/10/12, 11:13 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Drop in oil pressure?
didnt see the response...8400 rpms and just a faulty tensioner on the secondary chain on the drivers side head. Never saw oil pressure drop. Ripped the sprocket clean off the intake cam.
Glad to see things are coming back together!

Last edited by conv_stang; 9/10/12 at 11:29 PM.
Old 9/11/12, 12:05 PM

You forgot to set up the GoPro for timelapse
Old 9/11/12, 12:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

unfortunately, the knock sensor harness is unobtanium. Ford doesn't make it, which is odd for a part that is installed in every 2011-2013 mustang GT and Boss302.

Go figure the only party between me and enjoying my Ford, is Ford itself. They're getting pretty good at spoiling the fun.

Options are:
steal one
buy a second mustang, share harness between cars
make my own harness to temporarily fire the car
find one on ebay, forums, junkyards etc.

Obviously the last two are the only real options, but what a pita and frustrating situation.
Old 9/11/12, 12:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
You forgot to set up the GoPro for timelapse
I didn't have my SD card in it, then was busy. I wish I had since that would have been a cool concept. Maybe when I go to install that competition pulse ring I'll do one.

Nick came over the second day and shot pics with a dslr, so at least there's some better pics then the crappy iphone ones.

We can just look forward to test firing video, which might be tonight if I can get those AC compressor bolts in without stripping them.
Old 9/11/12, 12:48 PM

unfortunately, the knock sensor harness is unobtanium. Ford doesn't make it, which is odd for a part that is installed in every 2011-2013 mustang GT and Boss302.

Go figure the only party between me and enjoying my Ford, is Ford itself. They're getting pretty good at spoiling the fun.

Options are:
steal one
buy a second mustang, share harness between cars
make my own harness to temporarily fire the car
find one on ebay, forums, junkyards etc.

Obviously the last two are the only real options, but what a pita and frustrating situation.
Ugh, what a clusterf... You should give Rehagen or Capaldi a call and see if they have one laying around that they'd be willing to part with; or go junkyard diving. I wonder if the harness is shared with the F150 Coyote...

I didn't have my SD card in it, then was busy. I wish I had since that would have been a cool concept. Maybe when I go to install that competition pulse ring I'll do one.

Nick came over the second day and shot pics with a dslr, so at least there's some better pics then the crappy iphone ones.

We can just look forward to test firing video, which might be tonight if I can get those AC compressor bolts in without stripping them.
Yeah those pics looked good! Definitely have to do this when you get around to the CPR.
Old 9/11/12, 12:59 PM

Alternately, if you are in a hurry, you can just splice and solder your own connections. Here is the wiring diagram for the 302S engine connectors. http://www.fordracingparts.com/Downl...R1%20pp4-7.pdf

The Knock sensors are shown in the upper right corner of page 5, and you can reference the mating connection locations (E6,7,44,45) using the PCM Header View "E" on page 7. Then you can trace back the wires to splice into, unless you already have an "empty" KS harness receiver to take apart and splice into.

Quick Reply: Some rough luck for me, the GT build thread you don't want to have to make