2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Some rough luck for me, the GT build thread you don't want to have to make

Search this Thread

Old 6/22/12 | 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
one other thing I forgot to mention in this thread is the surprises I found along the way in the removal process:

I've been to the dealer 5-6 times with this car for various things (2 clutches, 1 transmission due to the 1-2/whine issue, oil changes, AC compressor and starter), and I'm not so upset about losing the warranty, at least I can be responsible for taking care of the car during service.

There were missing bolts, broken harness clips (don't joke around there, as I had lots of burnt insulation from the harnesses not being retained), changed bolts, etc. Other times in the past, I'd get the car back with loose suspension bolts, loose K-member bolts, etc. At least I won't get those letters and calls about how anything less than a perfect survey review is a problem, and not get another survey with a blatant name change.

During the process I had the shopmanual (though once I read it once, I didn't need to refer to it), bagged all the bolts by section and labeled, and even took pictures of parts that had studs or bolts to make sure all end up in proper location.

Point is, review the car in detail after a service, don't think they'd take the same care of your ride as you would. (I'm gripey because I just got another survey).
Time to switch dealers, if you ever go back to one.
Old 6/22/12 | 03:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll have to go to one for the misfire relearn procedure. Not thrilled about that, but should be really hard to screw up.
Old 6/22/12 | 03:57 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I'll have to go to one for the misfire relearn procedure. Not thrilled about that, but should be really hard to screw up.
With some of the dip ****s I've seen at dealerships, I wouldn't put it past them.
Old 6/23/12 | 07:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

sad thread and some pretty silly posts from some members in here too. Sorry to be reading about your problems Chris. Have you contacted your tuner to let them know what happened? I wondering what they would have to say.
Hows your foot?
Old 6/23/12 | 09:09 AM
Cobra R Member

I've decided that I am never taking my car back to the dealer I bought it (& my '11 GT 'vert) from nor will I be inclined to buy another car from them. Ever. & it's due to the utterly USELESS service dept, which blatantly demands an "extremely satisfied" rating on their survey, yet does little to actually EARN it!

They are ever-ready to disavow detection of any symptom or noise ("no problem found" or "that's normal", or my new favorite: that my driveline slop is due to the "driveline angle change" due to my installing Steeda Ultralites). They have NO tolerance for any mods whatsoever, even the FRPP tune will void my warranty according to them.

Whenever they do occasionally acknowledge that something must actually be replaced, not ONCE in my over 2 years of 5.0 ownership have they had the needed part in stock or available same day. In ALL cases I had to pick up my car, allow a few days to 2 weeks for them to get the part, & then go thru another Act of Congress logistically to bring my car back to them since they only are open when I am at work.

And don't tell me about Deysha. I guess she tried, but the Ford Cust Svce organization is apparently large, & someone I never heard of from them followed up by simply parroting my dealers' lame platitudes back to me via voice mail a day AFTER my service appt.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 6/23/12 at 03:55 PM.
Old 6/23/12 | 12:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
sad thread and some pretty silly posts from some members in here too. Sorry to be reading about your problems Chris. Have you contacted your tuner to let them know what happened? I wondering what they would have to say.
Hows your foot?
It hurts still. I have a pending MRI if I can get my health insurance to cover it (otherwise that's $650 better spent in motivation for my car). I'm just bummed about that because I love jogging (as it is a huge stress relief for me, and I'm just a bit stressed these days).

Hopefully it heals soon, its been a few weeks, but I'm not sure how long pain in soft tissue injuries can last before its a sign of more trouble. I see my doc again in two weeks for followup.
Old 6/23/12 | 02:29 PM
Cobra Member

Sad indeed and I hope your foot and Mustang get better. It's nice how the Ford internet
trolls had all your mod info laid out for your dealer.
Old 6/23/12 | 07:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

So looks like I *also* joined the #8 club. Slid out the rotating assembly today and found the following:

1/2/3/5 look ok, some detonation wear on the top
6/4 had more severe detonation damage, pitting severe and chunking had occured. Caused skirt wear as well.
7 was split in half in addition to all the top damage from the valve it ate. Hairline crack throughout, pin's holding it together. ringlands mostly intact, but scored.
8 was typical #8 failure, I thought it was mostly ok, until it was almost out of the cylinder and a piece fell off.

Pictures shortly.

Block looks salvageable, but I don't like a 1-2mm gouge at the very top of the #7 liner. Not sure how big a deal it will be.
Old 6/23/12 | 07:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

what did your tuner have to say??
Old 6/23/12 | 07:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

They're assisting with the top end and still reviewing the damage. They want the existing heads to repair (which is ambitious for sure).

As far as why this happened, no one's really sure.
Old 6/23/12 | 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

couple more of the heads:

passenger head:

5-8 (reverse order, 8 on left)

1-4 (normal order, 1 on left)

the carcass:

Last edited by CaptDistraction; 6/23/12 at 08:07 PM. Reason: fix spacing
Old 6/23/12 | 09:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Ugh, makes me sick to my stomach
Old 6/23/12 | 10:20 PM
Post *****

So looks like I *also* joined the #8 club. Slid out the rotating assembly today and found the following:

1/2/3/5 look ok, some detonation wear on the top
6/4 had more severe detonation damage, pitting severe and chunking had occured. Caused skirt wear as well.
7 was split in half in addition to all the top damage from the valve it ate. Hairline crack throughout, pin's holding it together. ringlands mostly intact, but scored.
8 was typical #8 failure, I thought it was mostly ok, until it was almost out of the cylinder and a piece fell off.

Pictures shortly.

Block looks salvageable, but I don't like a 1-2mm gouge at the very top of the #7 liner. Not sure how big a deal it will be.
I assume the Boss engine is the same firing order.

(from front of engine Passenger bank, Drivers bank)

5.0 Coyote: 1-5-4P-8D-6D-3-7D-2 PDPDDPDP

It appears mostly on the drivers bank and more toward the rear. Either detonation from tune + altitude? Or perhaps a fuel pressure failure that caused an intermittent lean condition?

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/23/12 at 10:21 PM.
Old 6/24/12 | 08:55 AM
V6 Member

Lots of damage everywhere. You might just want to consider a Ford Racing Parts direct new crate motor. $6200 and free shipping. If repairs are more than 50% of replacement, that is usually not the way to go IMO.
Old 6/24/12 | 09:12 AM
Cobra Member

Chris, thanks for posting all of this information, and photos while doing the work.

Have you tried contacting Ford engineering? I would think they would like to see the engine and parts damage, just based on your photos. And, they may find something that was a mechanical defect in manufacturing that would help with the warranty. Just a thought.

In any event, best of luck, and thanks again for taking the time to keep us informed.
Old 6/24/12 | 12:42 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Chris has your engine used a lot of oil since day one.
Old 6/24/12 | 01:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

My car used a bit, but nothing as extreme as what some of the others here have posted. usually 1qt per change (5k mi on average, car had 6 changes at time of death). Was a bit more at first, but settled by the first change.

I hadn't contacted engineering, I figured Ford was reading this anyways. I can forward to them, but they already have the TSB's and so forth written. If they wanted any of the wasted parts that's fine, I'm happy to donate it to them if its being used to benefit mustang enthusiasts in any way, but I hadn't gone out of my way as I don't see Ford changing their mind on saving some money.
Old 6/24/12 | 01:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I assume the Boss engine is the same firing order.

(from front of engine Passenger bank, Drivers bank)

5.0 Coyote: 1-5-4P-8D-6D-3-7D-2 PDPDDPDP

It appears mostly on the drivers bank and more toward the rear. Either detonation from tune + altitude? Or perhaps a fuel pressure failure that caused an intermittent lean condition?
Yeah, I think the reason we see so much #8 let-go's is due to the firing order and cooling patterns. the back of the motor is more warm.

I'm not sure on the altitude + tune, I'm certain they were factors, but I'm an enthusiast and not a powertrain engineer. From what I surmise that has to be the case (or among the factors). The damage that did the motor in was fresh (as denoted by the silvery spotting everywhere and no carbon covering other damage), so that can limit the factors to what was there at the time: temp, calibration, fuel used, load on vehicle, etc.

Last edited by CaptDistraction; 6/24/12 at 01:46 PM. Reason: self contradiction
Old 6/24/12 | 01:40 PM
GT Member

Have you contacted the company you got the tune from? Do they have a warranty?
Old 6/24/12 | 03:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Gster
Have you contacted the company you got the tune from? Do they have a warranty?
I've been working with them. They're helping me but like most tuners, they do not offer a warranty on their tuning.

Quick Reply: Some rough luck for me, the GT build thread you don't want to have to make