2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Some rough luck for me, the GT build thread you don't want to have to make

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/12, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
What on God's green earth would I want a big block pushrod V8 in there? That's reinventing the wheel in my application by replacing the wheel with a cinderblock.

I understand the pay to play concept, its why this thread exists.

I'm still doing cost/cap on two heads (or repairing the one which looks like a waste of time). May still do a shortblock rebuild at 2k, plus 2 boss heads, changing kit, misc gaskets and probably a new oil pump to play it safe. Pay for some pro assistance in checking and testing the rebuilt motor, and retune. Would be just a tick over 5k, right in the stock coyote replacement costs but with much more stout hardware (probably a bit more after cams and replacement of the cats now that I think about it).

Ah, but the cinder block puts out 600 ft lbs of torque.

You already have the Boss stripes, but that 521 under there and you will have a Boss that's faster than the real one.
Old 6/18/12, 01:53 PM
Bullitt Member

That looks really rough. Do you think it was all detonation that had caused that?
Old 6/18/12, 02:09 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptDistraction

I think detonation caused this, including the valve failure. (after reading modes of failure for a exhaust valve in regards to detonation - melting or chipping or combination).
Interesting how bits are in other cylinders. Broken bits could only come thru the intake so when a valve broke, the compression stroke must have blown bits into the intake and then sucked in another cylinder.

So do you head north thru Sedona to Flagstaff, then W on 40 then N on 93 or 95 to LV?

I remember reading about a guy from the midwest with a Brenspeed tune that went thru CO. When he crossed the pass (about 9k alt IIRC) his engine was pinging like crazy and loss of power.

If your tune is pretty specific for Phoenix 1100' altitude, going thru Flagstaff (7k alt) might have caused some ping/detonation. Perhaps too subtle to hear? Just a thought.

I'm afraid of a tune for that reason. I'm at 4200' high desert, regularly drop down in the (humid) valley at 1500, may be at Crater Lake NP at 7k, or over to the Coast at 0.
So if I do get a tune for 4200', I'll load the factory Bullitt tune for trips so the Adaptive Spark Ignition is active.
Old 6/18/12, 02:16 PM

That sucks about your engine. Once you get back on your feet, do you plan on modding it again?
Old 6/18/12, 02:23 PM
GT Member

Question huh?

Originally Posted by theACE

You already have the Boss stripes, but that 521 under there and you will have a Boss that's faster than the real one.
Say junior, your age is showing here. Why don't you do some reading about the current generation of engine tech and get back to us, mkay?
Old 6/18/12, 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
WOW! That head took a freaking beating!! Hopefully you can come up with a solution and salvage enough parts to come out in good shape rebuilding.
I hope so.

haha, very true; but I like the coyote, its a good fit for what I like to do with the car. Now I just have to spend some money (well, make the money to spend first), and better protect it and learn from it.

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0
That looks really rough. Do you think it was all detonation that had caused that?
I think so. At first I thought it was float, but based on symptoms at time of failure I think this was all detonation related. I'm just curious on those other cylinders where the piston material was "welded" to the aluminum is a sign of detonation. I couldn't see last night (was exhausted, 12 hours in 111 degree heat) but the pictures show that the pistons definitely were seeing detonation. Next step is to remove them for inspection.

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Interesting how bits are in other cylinders. Broken bits could only come thru the intake so when a valve broke, the compression stroke must have blown bits into the intake and then sucked in another cylinder.

So do you head north thru Sedona to Flagstaff, then W on 40 then N on 93 or 95 to LV?

I remember reading about a guy from the midwest with a Brenspeed tune that went thru CO. When he crossed the pass (about 9k alt IIRC) his engine was pinging like crazy and loss of power.

If your tune is pretty specific for Phoenix 1100' altitude, going thru Flagstaff (7k alt) might have caused some ping/detonation. Perhaps too subtle to hear? Just a thought.

I'm afraid of a tune for that reason. I'm at 4200' high desert, regularly drop down in the (humid) valley at 1500, may be at Crater Lake NP at 7k, or over to the Coast at 0.
So if I do get a tune for 4200', I'll load the factory Bullitt tune for trips so the Adaptive Spark Ignition is active.
The bits from the other cylinders I think all originated in those cylinders. The bits seem to be added to the heads, and removed from their respective pistons.

You might be on to something with the whole altitude thing, the car had felt down on power, especially in the 3300-3800 range on the way up. I skipped flagstaff, but the route I took also had the same elevations, and the area west of vegas also featured high elevations (where the motor let go).
Old 6/18/12, 02:33 PM
GT Member

best of luck to you !
Old 6/18/12, 02:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt 3309
Say junior, your age is showing here. Why don't you do some reading about the current generation of engine tech and get back to us, mkay?
uhhh tf?

if your referring to there not being a boss 521, I know that.

Please inform me of what you are referring to, cus idk.

Old 6/18/12, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt

The valve on the right, it looks like a crack going from the seat all the way up to the right and the valve guide on the left one looks done.
thats too big to be a crack, probably some casting line.

if there is any crack, they are usually hard to see with just eyes. I've seen some tiny cracks on some old engine heads revealed by red dye.
Old 6/18/12, 02:49 PM
GT Member

uhhh tf?

if your referring to there not being a boss 521, I know that.

Please inform me of what you are referring to, cus idk.

This part "pushrod V8"....
Learn what "modular motor", VTC, OHC mean...
Old 6/18/12, 02:50 PM
GT Member

Best of luck Chris, sorry for thread derail... Mustangworld is a bad influence...
Old 6/18/12, 02:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
My transmission on a 2010 blew...broken input shaft... similar to the one below... cost me 4.5k to replace the whole thing as recommended... it was replaced with a broken component- The dealer had to go to a machine/metal shop to cast a new piece since ford was not going to replace the individual piece.

Deysha wrote me...

My service guy pulled for me, and found a clause that said aftermarket "might" void warranty and he emphasized the 'might' part with Ford, and that the power I gained shouldn't have trashed the trans. I followed up with the tuner Brenspeed and they too said it was extremely UNcommon... and probably a faulty input shaft.

But, when it comes to warranties and if one thing is altered you are FUCED

Done deal. Personally, makes me not want to mod any future car...
you should be able to tell if there was a manufacturing defect with the shaft by just looking at the break interface, if you find one you can argue with Ford. if there is no evidence of defect on the shaft and they refuse warranty - it sucks, but their stock replacement would not been able to handle your power anyway so you might as well get something better than OEM part made for your tranny.
Old 6/18/12, 11:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt 3309
This part "pushrod V8"....
Learn what "modular motor", VTC, OHC mean...
I know all about that stuff, DOHC, TiVCT, SOHC...

but in this case it push rod or not, no replacement for displacement.
Old 6/19/12, 06:22 AM
Cobra Member

I'm trying to put together what happened exactly, so I can learn/decide future mods (if any) from this post. You had a tune, and you were driving a route, and all this damage occured? Can I ask how aggressive was this tune in the way of engine timing?

I'm assuming you talked with the tune manufacturer. I guess they have no liability? If anything, others could benefit from knowing what tune you had installed. I'd want to avoid it at all costs, especially if I were driving in the same altitude conditions your route was.

Thanks for posting this, as we all are learning from it. Doesn't help you, but it's appretiated that you are sharing with us.
Old 6/19/12, 09:39 AM
Bullitt Member

WOW sorry to here, no tuner for me just not looking to take a chance with the aftermath.
Old 6/19/12, 11:43 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know all about that stuff, DOHC, TiVCT, SOHC...

but in this case it push rod or not, no replacement for displacement.
since you are not adding anything can you hush? not to be mean but you are adding spam and clutter to this very important thread.

btw.. a better motor is the replacement for displacement..

.................................................. .................................

thats more odd and bad news.
Old 6/22/12, 01:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

one other thing I forgot to mention in this thread is the surprises I found along the way in the removal process:

I've been to the dealer 5-6 times with this car for various things (2 clutches, 1 transmission due to the 1-2/whine issue, oil changes, AC compressor and starter), and I'm not so upset about losing the warranty, at least I can be responsible for taking care of the car during service.

There were missing bolts, broken harness clips (don't joke around there, as I had lots of burnt insulation from the harnesses not being retained), changed bolts, etc. Other times in the past, I'd get the car back with loose suspension bolts, loose K-member bolts, etc. At least I won't get those letters and calls about how anything less than a perfect survey review is a problem, and not get another survey with a blatant name change.

During the process I had the shopmanual (though once I read it once, I didn't need to refer to it), bagged all the bolts by section and labeled, and even took pictures of parts that had studs or bolts to make sure all end up in proper location.

Point is, review the car in detail after a service, don't think they'd take the same care of your ride as you would. (I'm gripey because I just got another survey).
Old 6/22/12, 01:25 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
out of the 40 or so trips to the dealers here I have only got one survey. I do a full walk of the out side and a review of the interior. I also ask them what they did and where and look over the job. I found fond broke plastic parts, missing bolts, someones lunch left in the car, stains and all sorts of crazy stuff. They treat me as if I am a pain to deal with and yet I have never yelled.. just asked why my car with 2300 miles smells like rotten subway and has oily hand prints all over the drivers side. I also take pictures of all the paint and bumpers when I drop it off so when I pick it up if it has a dent I have proof it was them. If I get a rental/loaner I take pics of that also.
Old 6/22/12, 01:28 PM
Cobra R Member

That's why I hate bringing my car to the dealer for anything. Threads like these make me cringe. Good luck to you and sorry you have to go thru all this...

Was the car just tuned and that was all?
Old 6/22/12, 02:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
This whole thread is just bizarre.

It actually makes me physically uncomfortable seeing the engine and piston heads in such terrible shape, the kind of uncomfortable you feel when watching a guy take a kick in the nuts. The most disconcerting part of this is the shape of the car after visits to the service center; that's unacceptable, period. Regarding the damage...geez. I hope the rebuild goes well, I can say I wouldn't have a whole lot of confidence in the motor at all were it me. I realize plopping down a small fortune for a shipped brand-spanking-new motor isn't ideal, but...I guess I'd be afraid of something else cropping up in six months or six weeks. That damage looks disturbingly bad. I really hope you can get this fixed to YOUR satisfaction.

Quick Reply: Some rough luck for me, the GT build thread you don't want to have to make