2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Some rough luck for me, the GT build thread you don't want to have to make

Search this Thread

Old 6/24/12, 03:11 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptDistraction

I've been working with them. They're helping me but like most tuners, they do not offer a warranty on their tuning.
R U sure. I'd check the paperwork out really good. I heard these companies were giving warranties because they knew they would void ford warranties. Is that just a line of BS these companies are giving to get people to buy tunes?
Old 6/24/12, 05:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gster
R U sure. I'd check the paperwork out really good. I heard these companies were giving warranties because they knew they would void ford warranties. Is that just a line of BS these companies are giving to get people to buy tunes?
I'm sure on that front. Though I believe currently only BAMA is the only larger tuning company to warranty the #8 issues.
Old 6/24/12, 06:01 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gster
this has been well covered on this forum and we even had some of the tune compaines give input.
Old 6/24/12, 07:31 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang

this has been well covered on this forum and we even had some of the tune compaines give input.
What's there excuse for not covering things like what capt distraction has going on? All I hear is if u tune you will have cylinder problems especially #8. These companies that sell tunes step in and say "tunes will not hurt your car some other companies might but not ours". Then when something happens its fords fault, you can't prove it was the tune. I don't know of anyone without a tune that has this problem. These companies should put their money where their mouth is. Anyone without a tune that has cylinder problems please chime in and tell us.
Old 6/24/12, 10:36 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

also covered in other threads
Old 6/25/12, 05:29 AM
GT Member

Sorry Captain Distraction, not trying to hijack your thread i just feel really bad for you. I wish I lived out there by you so I could help you put the car back to normal.
Old 6/25/12, 08:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wow. I just noticed this thread and I too am sorry for what has happened. I wonder if there wasn't something else going on here since the damage isn't just limited to the #8 piston. I would have a fuel sample analyzed as well as the fuel pump checked out. Problem is if you don't find out the true reason for the failure whats to keep it from happening again? It doesn't matter how stout the new motor is, if it incurs the same scenario you will end up with the same conclusion. Good luck.
Old 6/25/12, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by going for broke
Wow. I just noticed this thread and I too am sorry for what has happened. I wonder if there wasn't something else going on here since the damage isn't just limited to the #8 piston. I would have a fuel sample analyzed as well as the fuel pump checked out. Problem is if you don't find out the true reason for the failure whats to keep it from happening again? It doesn't matter how stout the new motor is, if it incurs the same scenario you will end up with the same conclusion. Good luck.
That's a serious concern of mine. Where could I get the fuel checked?
Old 6/25/12, 11:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well I would get two samples, one from off if the bottom of tank and one from the
Old 6/25/12, 11:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well I would get two samples, one from off if the bottom of tank and one from the
Ugh hit send on mistake...
Anyways second sample from center of tank. I would suggest hitting up a local oil company to see where they send there samples to. I could tell you where we send ours to but I'm 3000 miles from you. I know you know this but the first step in solving this is to figure out what caused it. I'm not confident the tune is to blame since you've been running it for some time right? At any rate one or more things may of contributed to the "perfect storm" if you will. I hope you figure it out.
Old 6/25/12, 11:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ugh hit send on mistake...
Anyways second sample from center of tank. I would suggest hitting up a local oil company to see where they send there samples to. I could tell you where we send ours to but I'm 3000 miles from you. I know you know this but the first step in solving this is to figure out what caused it. I'm not confident the tune is to blame since you've been running it for some time right? At any rate one or more things may of contributed to the "perfect storm" if you will. I hope you figure it out.
Yeah, I totally agree. I'll call around and see where I can get some analysis done. Additionally I think I'll drain the tanks regardless, fill a 5 gallon race jug with clean 91 from a local station for the day this all comes back together.

I've raised half of what's needed to repair this rig, so I'd feel a lot more comfortable knowing what caused it so that when I start repairs I account for prevention.
Old 6/25/12, 01:02 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chris, what's your plan going forward? Replace with original components, or upgrade while you have it torn down? Seems like with the type of use your car sees, some Roadrunner parts might be a welcome addition on your car.
Old 6/25/12, 02:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok so I've done some thinking about this, I'm doubtful it's the fuel. Let's say there was water in the fuel.. It would just cause the car to either not run right or not at all. Fuel pressure same thing likely. So what caused this thing to just self destruct itself all of the sudden?? I'm thinking it was something in the tune where the knock sensors were turned off or similar. What the question is though is why now? If I remember correctly when you go into altitude you pull fuel so although that could cause the detonation if it didn't re adjust as you came out of altitude. I don't know man. Like you had said seeing the inside of that motor raises more questions then answers.
Old 6/25/12, 04:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Chris, what's your plan going forward? Replace with original components, or upgrade while you have it torn down? Seems like with the type of use your car sees, some Roadrunner parts might be a welcome addition on your car.
Plan is still looking like this:

MMR (modularmustangracing in LA) is looking at the block pictures now, and will hopefully give me the go ahead on the repair. That's 2k before a number of options (figure $2500). Then $2500 in boss 302R heads, $250 in cams, $400 in gaskets/bolts, oil, filter, coolant and plugs. That basically gives me a boss longblock (minus the slight adjustments to pulleys and tensioners). That puts me slightly over the service engine cost, but adds better internals, and nicer heads/valvetrain which hopefully will assist in avoiding ever being in this situation again.

The amount of beer for reinstall hasn't been established...
Old 6/26/12, 03:10 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

The amount of beer for reinstall hasn't been established...
I would say 50 beers per $1,000 spent.
Old 6/26/12, 06:01 AM
Cobra Member

In following this post, It is a shame that Ford does not step in and offer some assistance. I can see why though; they will not want to admit to any at fault. Reminds me of the early 5.4 issues: faulty spark plugs, noisy valvetrain.
To this day, they still will not admit any responsibility.

Still enjoy my Mustang, but feel your pain in this situation. It would be so much better to read that they stepped in and are offering some help in the way of parts, labor, or credit. That would make everyones day.
Old 6/26/12, 08:31 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Double-EDad
And don't tell me about Deysha. I guess she tried, but the Ford Cust Svce organization is apparently large, & someone I never heard of from them followed up by simply parroting my dealers' lame platitudes back to me via voice mail a day AFTER my service appt.
Hi Double-EDad,

I understand your frustration. Anytime there are mods done to a vehicle, it gets complicated for everyone. We have to go with the assessments performed by your dealer. I recommend you get a second opinion from a different Ford dealer and if there is anything new, please don’t hesitate to PM me.

Deysha
Old 6/26/12, 10:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
I would say 50 beers per $1,000 spent.
well, I'm a lightweight, I just meant for the crewing hands that are helping rebuild. That might be a valid number. Was 12 hours to get it torn down this far, figure about the same to get it back in there and will only be more warm in phoenix. I need an air conditioned garage.

And a way of making more cash than I have bills. that's my other problem, before this happened I was just barely staying afloat. I'm having to make a lot of really tough financial decisions and that's not a lot of fun.
Old 6/26/12, 10:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

doublepost fail
Old 6/26/12, 11:22 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

well, I'm a lightweight, I just meant for the crewing hands that are helping rebuild. That might be a valid number. Was 12 hours to get it torn down this far, figure about the same to get it back in there and will only be more warm in phoenix. I need an air conditioned garage.

And a way of making more cash than I have bills. that's my other problem, before this happened I was just barely staying afloat. I'm having to make a lot of really tough financial decisions and that's not a lot of fun.
yeah its been getting warm here. I almost bought a house here with a super garage that had ac. Wish I had but the cost would of been 30k more out of pocket.

Quick Reply: Some rough luck for me, the GT build thread you don't want to have to make