2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Some rough luck for me, the GT build thread you don't want to have to make

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/12, 01:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
yeah its been getting warm here. I almost bought a house here with a super garage that had ac. Wish I had but the cost would of been 30k more out of pocket.
Dang. My mom's house in scottsdale has an AC garage. I've been looking into what it would take to do it on my garage, but really mine's a bit tight for an engine install.

BTW, saw your car at the Pavs not too long ago, meant to swing by (on the last week I was there with the mustang before it let go)

Last edited by CaptDistraction; 6/26/12 at 03:10 PM.
Old 6/26/12, 04:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

so big steps today, worked with MMR who is doing the build, and they were able to get me some killer pricing on the heads.

So they're going to build and assemble the entire longblock. Just have to get my parts to them. Its a bit of a cost for the total assembly, but to have some pro's handle it and give me a ready to drop longblock will definitely make me feel better. The setup will also use the boss 302 exhaust cams, so basically a roadrunner with a slightly different branded bottom end. I'll have to figure out tuning for it, but otherwise I feel a bit better.

Money's the only holdup, what an evil thing money is.
Old 6/26/12, 04:35 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
so big steps today, worked with MMR who is doing the build, and they were able to get me some killer pricing on the heads.

So they're going to build and assemble the entire longblock. Just have to get my parts to them. Its a bit of a cost for the total assembly, but to have some pro's handle it and give me a ready to drop longblock will definitely make me feel better. The setup will also use the boss 302 exhaust cams, so basically a roadrunner with a slightly different branded bottom end. I'll have to figure out tuning for it, but otherwise I feel a bit better.

Hey bud read the whole thread sorry about your luck. For the tune try to find someone close to build you a couple tunes. One aggressive and one conservative. Through reading this I can't help but suspect altitude changes may have had something to do with it and if you go out of area for whatever reason you just load the conservative tune to give u that security blanket avoiding detonation problems. Whatever it was that caused this headache you can prevent it by getting on a local dyno and tune specific to your area and get a safe tune for everywhere. Otherwise send an email to John Lund. My base tune he sent me gave the ecu the ability to adjust timing for 91-93 octane and gave the ecu the ability to decipher barometric pressure to balance the a/f ratio. So no matter what the environment was, the engine is always protected. Anyway I will glancing back at this thread from time to time so please keep the updates coming and I hope your foot gets better soon.
Old 6/26/12, 09:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi Double-EDad,

I understand your frustration. Anytime there are mods done to a vehicle, it gets complicated for everyone. We have to go with the assessments performed by your dealer. I recommend you get a second opinion from a different Ford dealer and if there is anything new, please don’t hesitate to PM me.

Deysha
Deysha,

Thank you. Coincidentally I spoke with Marysol (of Ford CS) today, and she suggested the same thing (take it to another dealer). A few co-workers I talked to (wished I had two years ago) shared frustration with my particular dealer's service dept's lack of desire or capability to actually DO anything. So I've decided to get it to Williamsburg Ford and let them look at it, after gleaning many good reviews regarding their service folks' tenure/experience.

The ONLY mechanical mods I have are the Steeda Ultralite Springs and the Koni struts, and the GT500 mufflers, if you want to count those. Oh, and the Steeda adjustable panhard bar to make it all align nicely. Based on the multiple claims on this forum by Steeda that they work so totally hand-in-hand with Ford I figure my very modest mods should not be a stumbling block at all. (some sarcasm there...) Thanks again.
Old 6/27/12, 06:28 AM
Cobra Member

Got gold?
Old 6/27/12, 06:30 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Deysha,

Thank you. Coincidentally I spoke with Marysol (of Ford CS) today, and she suggested the same thing (take it to another dealer). A few co-workers I talked to (wished I had two years ago) shared frustration with my particular dealer's service dept's lack of desire or capability to actually DO anything. So I've decided to get it to Williamsburg Ford and let them look at it, after gleaning many good reviews regarding their service folks' tenure/experience.

The ONLY mechanical mods I have are the Steeda Ultralite Springs and the Koni struts, and the GT500 mufflers, if you want to count those. Oh, and the Steeda adjustable panhard bar to make it all align nicely. Based on the multiple claims on this forum by Steeda that they work so totally hand-in-hand with Ford I figure my very modest mods should not be a stumbling block at all. (some sarcasm there...) Thanks again.
I might understand if Ford were to claim a warranty violation on the suspension, but those mods should keep the owner safe with the rest of the car, such as the drivetrain.
Old 6/27/12, 05:25 PM
GT Member

So what caused this?
Attached Thumbnails Some rough luck for me, the GT build thread you don't want to have to make-cracked.jpg  
Old 6/27/12, 06:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ledsled
So what caused this?
That's in that same #7 hole that had the failure in an exhaust valve. those guides were chipped when the stems of the intake valves bent, presumably when foreign metal got involved.
Old 6/28/12, 08:51 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Deysha,

Glad to know you got in contact with her, Double-EDad. Make sure you call her as soon as you make another appointment.

Deysha
Old 6/28/12, 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm getting cold feet about the whole ordeal now, more and more I look into it, more and more I hear "just buy the crate, enjoy the 2 year warranty, and don't sweat an oil-consuming overbored motor with bad main clearances".

Sigh. I'm only about 50% in money savings so far so I have time to think about it, but makes it no less stressful.
Old 6/28/12, 08:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I think the excellence of your theme for your appearance mods, has been begging for this motor. I honestly feel like the car did it on purpose, to get a new, better heart. It's going to be expensive, but go for it man. You've built a 302R lookalike, now give it the heart of one!
Old 6/28/12, 08:20 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm getting cold feet about the whole ordeal now, more and more I look into it, more and more I hear "just buy the crate, enjoy the 2 year warranty, and don't sweat an oil-consuming overbored motor with bad main clearances".

Sigh. I'm only about 50% in money savings so far so I have time to think about it, but makes it no less stressful.
The crate motor seems like the simple solution to your problems, but I'm sure the cost is on the higher end of the build. I still think the Roadrunner in a box is the simplest, easiest way to go in your shoes. Best of luck for a speedy return on the road.
Old 6/28/12, 09:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I've been made at least one decent offer on a delivered roadrunner. I'm reaching out to some others to see what can be found, as that's what I'd really like to run.

Otherwise, I have another killer offer on a Aluminator-NA. I don't feel like I need the big beefy rotating assembly in that, but for the small difference (in this case, very small) over the factory service crate, might as well have all the improvements (boss valvesprings, manley Hbeam rods, mahle pistons, 2013 build, etc.).

Both motors would be delivered direct from ford racing to my house, complete and with 2/24k warranties on them (in before Ford Racing Warranty looking into my background).

On another note, if I opt out of the rebuild option. I think it would be worth $1500 to someone to sell my old motor broken down as is. If someone was looking to build a monster motor, they could use all the very good parts from mine (even the block if they feel ok with an overbore by a reputable builder), bolts and small bits that add up. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm going to list all the parts individually and then a package price.
Old 6/29/12, 05:36 AM
Cobra Member

While this may not be of any help, you are now a legend on this site. The first to post your misfortunes for others to read an learn. This has been very useful, and appretiated.

Maybe you could post a paypal account up here, and those that want to could toss a few bucks into it. I'd help you out; can't afford much, but if it helps get a fellow Mustang owner that's shared his misfortunes with the rest of us to help us learn, I'd do what I can.
Old 6/29/12, 09:03 AM
GT Member

I would toss a few bucks ur way as well. This thread is golden and as much as we hope it never happens, will be useful to some that have to face a similar situation to what happened to you.
Old 6/29/12, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you guys want to help, a friend set something up for that (at first I thought he was joking with me, then I saw people had put money in it). I honestly just can't take people's money, so whatever I receieve a portion has to go to a charity (I think the Arc is good, its a disabilities one with motorsports ties). I'd just be too guilty, I'm very admittedly not good at accepting help.

Thanks so much though, means a lot to me for fellow enthusiasts to want to help one of their own, I'll update with a link once I have the details ironed out with the other guy (who posts here as well).
Old 6/29/12, 02:09 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
not to get side tracked but how much would it cost to get a big picture of my shelby to put in the new garage. I mean biiiiiiig

http://gallery.rolex24pics.com/popul...780641&k=dvQ3H
Old 6/29/12, 03:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
not to get side tracked but how much would it cost to get a big picture of my shelby to put in the new garage. I mean biiiiiiig

http://gallery.rolex24pics.com/popular/1056780641_dvQ3H#!i=1056780641&k=dvQ3H
How big? We can go about it a few ways. I'll find a printing provider that will meet the spec and reasonable cost, then a few bones for me to throw at this project and I'll get you handled. I don't deal with smugmug anymore because their print providers weren't providing consistent quality prints. Lots of customers would get washed out prints that didn't match the screen and calibrations I had put in the photos.

Didn't realize that was your car, was one of my favorites to watch that day. I really miss shooting photos, was something I enjoyed a lot (my camera gear is being all auctioned off to get this motor handled, hopefully one day I can rebuild the once impressive collection that took some awesome pictures).

Last edited by CaptDistraction; 6/29/12 at 05:25 PM.
Old 6/29/12, 05:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Link to donation site? I am down with the motorsports charities
Old 6/29/12, 05:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Link to donation site? I am down with the motorsports charities
Working on getting that together with the other party that set it up. Should have it here this evening.

Quick Reply: Some rough luck for me, the GT build thread you don't want to have to make