2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Some rough luck for me, the GT build thread you don't want to have to make

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/12, 05:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dam man, sorry to hear about this. It too makes me think twice about modding my car or at least waiting till the warranty is up/almost up.

Are the internals going to be beefed up!? Forged! Lol
Old 6/11/12, 05:58 PM
GT Member

This has me scared now about voiding the warranty. I'm installing mufflers, and may have to leave it at that. Guess I'll go talk to my service manager and see what they consider to be un-warrantyable mods.
Old 6/11/12, 06:15 PM
GT Member

Cory, I'm with you inasmuch as I don't want to void my warranty. No tuner business, no nothing drivetrain related until this bugger is almost paid off. Like you, I want to talk to my service manager to find out what I can do, and what I can't. For instance, I've thought about some suspension mods, but I'm not sure what that will affect as per the warranty. (Thinking of a coil over system, lowering about 1-1/2 - 1-3/4 inch, etc...) I don't know about that just yet. Still looking and researching.

Mark
Old 6/11/12, 06:22 PM

I am putting in a MGW shifter -- and hoping that doesn't void the warranty. The one regret that I have on my purchase is that I bought the extended warranty. Obviously a waste of cash! However the base warranty seemed so short...
Old 6/11/12, 06:38 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by BracketRacing.com

I went with the Ford Racing tune. If you have it installed by the dealer, it does not void your warranty.

Yes and no...It voids the ford powertrain warranty,but frpp will warranty the powertrain for 3 yrs ,from in service date.
Old 6/11/12, 06:43 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here we go again with the specifics of a warranty...

Guys, it's been beat to death, let's not pollute Chris's thread on his situation with it.
Old 6/11/12, 06:51 PM
V6 Member

sorry to see that, it really sucks. Its the risk of tracking and modding unfortunately.
Old 6/11/12, 08:15 PM
GT Member

I bought the extended warranty too Wonder if it's too late to cancel it, it's been almost 2 weeks.

Last edited by JosephCook78; 6/11/12 at 08:16 PM.
Old 6/11/12, 08:44 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't give it back to the bank. The first thing they're going to do is auction it to try to recover losses, and then sue you for deficiency if it doesn't cover what you still owe. How much less do you think they'll auction it for with a blown motor.

Better to pay for this out of your pocket and still have your car than to have no car, damaged credit, and a deficiency judgement.
Old 6/11/12, 08:54 PM
GT Member

Sucks Chris, been following your threads on Mustangworld. Your reviews helped push me into the 2012. Good Luck, I wish I could help with the warranty thing.
Old 6/11/12, 10:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny5alive
Don't give it back to the bank. The first thing they're going to do is auction it to try to recover losses, and then sue you for deficiency if it doesn't cover what you still owe. How much less do you think they'll auction it for with a blown motor.

Better to pay for this out of your pocket and still have your car than to have no car, damaged credit, and a deficiency judgement.
I wouldn't have ever actually done that. Half because I love this **** car, half because I just couldn't ever do something like that
Old 6/11/12, 10:17 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
I wouldn't have ever actually done that. Half because I love this **** car, half because I just couldn't ever do something like that
You could have just not said anything to anyone about what happened and parked it at the bottom of a lake.

J/K.
Old 6/17/12, 01:26 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
any news?
Old 6/17/12, 06:04 AM

Sorry man this would kill me if it happened with my car! If you order a bama tune for the mustang does that void the warranty?
Old 6/17/12, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JosephCook78
I bought the extended warranty too Wonder if it's too late to cancel it, it's been almost 2 weeks.
Yes you can get the money back on the extended warranty
Old 6/17/12, 09:07 AM
GT Member

It's threads like these that have made me not even consider putting a tune on my car. I realize that not everyone who puts a tune of their car has problems, but for the ones that do, it's a mess.

Curious to see what the piston/connecting rod looks like on #7.
Old 6/18/12, 11:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

spent all day yesterday tearing the motor out of the car and apart, and what we found raised more questions than answers. I'm processing the pictures now and hopefully will have them posted before I fall asleep.

Basically, neither head is worth repairing. Crank is ok, pistons not. Block appears to be a good candidate for a 0.010" overbore, hopefully not all the way to 0.02". Not sure what these blocks can take.

From my reading I thought at first it was valve float (the head of a valve was gone and was found in the catalytic converter on the driver's side of all **** things). There's transferred metal/material from the pistons in 6 of the cylinders and you can find the material in the aluminum portion of the heads.

I think detonation caused this, including the valve failure. (after reading modes of failure for a exhaust valve in regards to detonation - melting or chipping or combination). The consumed valve's stem is still in the head.

This is just the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

material bonded to head aluminum

wasted head
Old 6/18/12, 01:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

gotta pay to play bud.

now that you burned your engine, why not buy one of these....

http://www.fordracingparts.com/crateengine/main.asp#bb
Old 6/18/12, 01:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by theACE
gotta pay to play bud.

now that you burned your engine, why not buy one of these....

http://www.fordracingparts.com/crateengine/main.asp#bb
What on God's green earth would I want a big block pushrod V8 in there? That's reinventing the wheel in my application by replacing the wheel with a cinderblock.

I understand the pay to play concept, its why this thread exists.

I'm still doing cost/cap on two heads (or repairing the one which looks like a waste of time). May still do a shortblock rebuild at 2k, plus 2 boss heads, changing kit, misc gaskets and probably a new oil pump to play it safe. Pay for some pro assistance in checking and testing the rebuilt motor, and retune. Would be just a tick over 5k, right in the stock coyote replacement costs but with much more stout hardware (probably a bit more after cams and replacement of the cats now that I think about it).
Old 6/18/12, 01:47 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
WOW! That head took a freaking beating!! Hopefully you can come up with a solution and salvage enough parts to come out in good shape rebuilding.

Quick Reply: Some rough luck for me, the GT build thread you don't want to have to make