Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 9/16/11, 01:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
One of you guys can try a new clutch. Only way to find out.

This is the deal. You guys have the cheaper trans option. 05-10 used tremec if I'm not mistaken.
The new model comes out and Ford goes through the usual bids for trannys. I'm sure that tremec had a suitable trans for the application but getrag promised the "equivalent" for a lot cheaper. And Chinese built at that. Tremec had been doing a decent job for Ford and a lot more manufactures for years. Why mess up a good thing? $$$

I hope when all of this is said and done, a valuable lesson will have been learned. I also recall being slammed a little earlier this year for speaking against Ford and their new trans plant being built in china. Hate to say I told you so.
Cool story bro.

Just another person without an MT82, let alone problems with one, talking about how bad they are.
Old 9/16/11, 01:22 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by blackgt87

Cool story bro.

Just another person without an MT82, let alone problems with one, talking about how bad they are.
That would be me.
Old 9/16/11, 04:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blackgt87
Cool story bro.

My Boss 302 has no issues with my MT-82. my nephews on his 2011 is crap, I know because I drove it. it's not just a "story"... bro
Old 9/16/11, 06:45 PM

One of you guys can try a new clutch. Only way to find out.
I have no reason to try a new clutch as I have no issues with my transmission. It shifts better than the Tremec that was in my 2010 by a longshot.

This is the deal. You guys have the cheaper trans option. 05-10 used tremec if I'm not mistaken.
And how much does the Tremec 3650 cost Ford compared to the Getrag MT82?

The new model comes out and Ford goes through the usual bids for trannys. I'm sure that tremec had a suitable trans for the application but getrag promised the "equivalent" for a lot cheaper. And Chinese built at that. Tremec had been doing a decent job for Ford and a lot more manufactures for years. Why mess up a good thing? $$$
Ford could have slapped in the Tremec 6060 from the GT500 and the Boss 302R. By your logic that would make more sense seeing as the Tremec is used in other vehicles and you'd think that using more volume would include more of a discount per unit.

I hope when all of this is said and done, a valuable lesson will have been learned. I also recall being slammed a little earlier this year for speaking against Ford and their new trans plant being built in china. Hate to say I told you so.
WTF does Ford building a transmission plant in China have to do with the 2% or so of MT82's having issues? Did Ford release a statement I missed where they said the issues with the MT82 are because they built a plant in China? How about getting some experience behind the MT82 before you go around talking about things you have no experience with? I mean just look at the MT82 grenade in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvjgFOXDtoE
Old 9/16/11, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by VA Raptor

I have no reason to try a new clutch as I have no issues with my transmission. It shifts better than the Tremec that was in my 2010 by a longshot.

Ford could have slapped in the Tremec 6060 from the GT500 and the Boss 302R. By your logic that would make more sense seeing as the Tremec is used in other vehicles and you'd think that using more volume would include more of a discount per unit.

WTF does Ford building a transmission plant in China have to do with the 2% or so of MT82's having issues? Did Ford release a statement I missed where they said the issues with the MT82 are because they built a plant in China? How about getting some experience behind the MT82 before you go around talking about things you have no experience with? I mean just look at the MT82 grenade in this video

Thank you for the pick apart play by play. Please ask ford why tremec was dropped in the new GT's. Guarantee it was a money issue.
The stab at chinese plants was just a stab. But hey, maybe one day they will give your job to someone in china too.

You're really pretty defensive. If your trans shifts fine then woop tee do. I am glad you got one of the 5 good ones on this site.

Chances are that I have more manual trans understanding and know how than you ever will. Maybe not. You may be the resident expert. Have a nice night. Midol is in the cabinet.
Old 9/16/11, 08:26 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh I am enjoying this read
Old 9/16/11, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm confused, is there still an issue?
Old 9/16/11, 11:52 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Cbaty08
I wasn't going to reply to you, but I am going to take joy in letting out a little stress on you while I sit here drinking my coffee at the office, instead of work.

As I sit here now, I AM TRYING TO MAKE IT OUT LIKE THEY ARE SCREWING ME; THEY ARE.

Not saying I have been finally bent me over, but I have been lied to on so many occasions it isn't even funny, and my car has been in the shop everyday since the 29th of August except one day, last Sunday.

They have made it as a company this long because they were doing good business, my family is a good example of that as we have owned numerous Fords; we've been a Ford family for decades. But now they have probably lost my business from here on out.

I don't give a hoot that you are a tech; seems as if many of you guys barely made it out of auto class. I don't care what you THINK about me and my driving habits or warranty status; I really don't.

So please, move along.
LOL well I know you can't fix it but I sure can .

If you don't care then why post here????? Why do poeple get so worked up if you don't want poeples opinion then don't post your business all over the internet...............................

I read AFM forum for my daily laugh I really get a kick out of it. If you sat that same group of poeple in room I'm sure they won't say the BS they do.
Old 9/17/11, 12:29 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VA Raptor

Your quite analytical (wrong but analytical). Next time I need a play by play on a thread ill be sure to pm you

And Ford could have put a lot of different trannies in the car. Maybe you should go work for them and tell them what the "should" have done since your so knowlegable
Old 9/18/11, 01:56 AM
GT Member

UPdate... thousands of more miles banged through these gears in a 3.73. No even a flinch of issues, unless one doesn't know how to rev match and other normal diving techniques used when driving the six speed. 1-2-3-4-5-6 shifts very quickly in less than 6 seconds, some within less than 5... revving back down alreays rev-matching and smooth. Perfect MT82.
Old 9/18/11, 08:49 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by brycerichert
UPdate... thousands of more miles banged through these gears in a 3.73. No even a flinch of issues, unless one doesn't know how to rev match and other normal diving techniques used when driving the six speed. 1-2-3-4-5-6 shifts very quickly in less than 6 seconds, some within less than 5... revving back down alreays rev-matching and smooth. Perfect MT82.
dude, rev match and normal driving techniques don't overcome a clutch pedal that won't come off the floor all the way. i still don't get it, why do some people assume automatically that its the driver. Just because yours is fine doesn't mean another owner isn't having trouble. mine is perfectly fine until you spin it to high rpms and at 7-7.5k i guarantee it will lock out and the pedal wont come up all the way on 3-4, it will do it every time.

At some point we will find that the reason some of these cars are perfect and some aren't boils down to QC in china. Many Chinese manufacturers are very well known for hit and miss QC.

i still say there are two issues going on with these transmissions. the clutch pedal assembly is not right, i still think that is the issue on my car just like the early 11's. some people had the problem with the clutch pedal and others didn't.
Old 9/18/11, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by ShaneM

dude, rev match and normal driving techniques don't overcome a clutch pedal that won't come off the floor all the way. i still don't get it, why do some people assume automatically that its the driver. Just because yours is fine doesn't mean another owner isn't having trouble. mine is perfectly fine until you spin it to high rpms and at 7-7.5k i guarantee it will lock out and the pedal wont come up all the way on 3-4, it will do it every time.

At some point we will find that the reason some of these cars are perfect and some aren't boils down to QC in china. Many Chinese manufacturers are very well known for hit and miss QC.

i still say there are two issues going on with these transmissions. the clutch pedal assembly is not right, i still think that is the issue on my car just like the early 11's. some people had the problem with the clutch pedal and others didn't.
So your clutch pedal sticks to the floor at high rpm's? And if so, are these still hydraulic clutches? Single or dual disk clutches?
Old 9/18/11, 09:09 AM
Cobra Member

So your clutch pedal sticks to the floor at high rpm's? And if so, are these still hydraulic clutches? Single or dual disk clutches?
yes, it sticks at high rpm. i think its the same clutch the normal GT gets made of a different material. it is hydraulic and shares fluid with the brakes. more accurately it disengages roughly 50% of the way and hangs until rpms drop and then the pedal pops back up with a sort of swooshing sound and its fine again. when it sticks it wont go into any gear and often when it does this once the pedal come sup the car only goes into 6th. i think i put the vids of the issue up back on one of the first few pages.

at first i thought i was missing the shift, it took me a while to notice that the pedal wasn't coming all the way up. Had it not popped up and hit the bottom of my foot i probably would have never noticed because i release the clutch quickly. i just happened to have my foot in the right place braking when the revs dropped and the pedal hit the bottom of my shoe when it released.

i woudl bet that the pedal is sticking on a bunch of people complaining about lock outs and they havne't noticed.
Old 9/18/11, 09:33 AM

yes, it sticks at high rpm. i think its the same clutch the normal GT gets made of a different material. it is hydraulic and shares fluid with the brakes. more accurately it disengages roughly 50% of the way and hangs until rpms drop and then the pedal pops back up with a sort of swooshing sound and its fine again. when it sticks it wont go into any gear and often when it does this once the pedal come sup the car only goes into 6th. i think i put the vids of the issue up back on one of the first few pages.

at first i thought i was missing the shift, it took me a while to notice that the pedal wasn't coming all the way up. Had it not popped up and hit the bottom of my foot i probably would have never noticed because i release the clutch quickly. i just happened to have my foot in the right place braking when the revs dropped and the pedal hit the bottom of my shoe when it released.

i woudl bet that the pedal is sticking on a bunch of people complaining about lock outs and they havne't noticed.
I think overboost has that same problem. Sounds like pressure plate/disk hanging up. It may be the clutch bolt issue a few people have talked about. Either way that sounds like all clutch and I would get that looked at before it gets dangerous.
Old 9/18/11, 10:09 AM
Cobra Member

I think overboost has that same problem. Sounds like pressure plate/disk hanging up. It may be the clutch bolt issue a few people have talked about. Either way that sounds like all clutch and I would get that looked at before it gets dangerous.
i took the car in, the dealer "couldn't replicate the issue" on their 5 minute drive and the best they were willing to do was "tear into it" at their $150 an hour shop rate plus parts that might need to be replaced resulting from "tearing into it" which Id be responsible to pay for if they couldn't find an issue. normal scare tactics to get you to leave rather than press their hand if the problem you are having isn't glaring. they may have cracked it open and found an issue, i wasn't willing to risk 500-1000 on their tech who had already claimed the car was fine working hard to find an issue

i declined the offer for them tear into the car further since they were already trying to claim the problem was non-existent. Ive long said much of the hate heaped on Ford is the direct result of dealers that seem more interested in charging the customer on repairs than billing Ford for legit factory warranty issues. My local dealer is notorious for this practice, they refuse to do most TSBs as well.

what the "we cant replicate the issue" told me, since the car does it every single time, is that they didn't follow the specific circumstances i told them the issue occurs in. you can drive the car all day and it will never have an issue until you get it to high rpms and shift 3-4. any other gear high rpm shifts are fine.
Old 9/18/11, 10:31 AM

Damm it's tough hearing what the dealers are doing. I worked for dealerships for many years but we were there to make money. No work. No money. Even warranty work paid something. Sounds like these guys out there just don't want to do anything. Fortunately for me, I know everyone at all my local dealers. Ive worked for all of them and still get along with the owners. I feel for some of you guys. The only good thing about complaining here is we have Deysha who I believe can help with these issues. If she can't, your owners manual has that evil 1-800 number that you can complain about it to. But the dealership that you call them on will not be happy about it.
Old 9/18/11, 10:48 AM
Cobra Member

Damm it's tough hearing what the dealers are doing. I worked for dealerships for many years but we were there to make money. No work. No money. Even warranty work paid something. Sounds like these guys out there just don't want to do anything. Fortunately for me, I know everyone at all my local dealers. Ive worked for all of them and still get along with the owners. I feel for some of you guys. The only good thing about complaining here is we have Deysha who I believe can help with these issues. If she can't, your owners manual has that evil 1-800 number that you can complain about it to. But the dealership that you call them on will not be happy about it.
yeah the problem for ford and what leads to the stang on stang owner hate is that some people see the ford dealer up the street being difficult or not wanting to fix something as ford proper not wanting to fix an issue or admit there is one.

also i have read a few reports of the clutch bolt issue a while back, IIRC there were other symptoms to those as well like noise. I really think its the clutch pedal assembly in my case.
Old 9/18/11, 11:04 AM

I wouldn't say it's a pedal issue. And the pressure plate springs are supposed to be enough to force the slave fluid back through the master and pedal. The slave should also have a return spring in it too. I think the plate is hanging up at high rpm's. It should be a clutch issue. Not sure on your mileage but ford will not warranty a clutch for 35000 miles. Get it done when your mileage is still low.
Old 9/18/11, 11:20 AM
GT Member

i took the car in, the dealer "couldn't replicate the issue" on their 5 minute drive

what the "we cant replicate the issue" told me, since the car does it every single time, is that they didn't follow the specific circumstances i told them the issue occurs in. you can drive the car all day and it will never have an issue until you get it to high rpms and shift 3-4. any other gear high rpm shifts are fine.
Sounds like you need to have a tech ride with you to duplicate the issue. If they are unwilling to do that, go to another dealer.
Old 9/18/11, 12:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Timeless
Sounds like you need to have a tech ride with you to duplicate the issue. If they are unwilling to do that, go to another dealer.
the problem is with a ride along that the tech can't see that the pedal is sticking from the passenger seat. all a passenger sees is that i am fighting with the shifter between gates. the driving instructor on the track day where it happened first thought i was missing the shift and hitting the gates at first because he couldn't see that the pedal was not releasing. it's something you have to feel, i don't think its something you can see on a ride along.

Quick Reply: NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems