Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/11, 03:54 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chevys
Say what ever you will but the china made mt82 has scared me off. Its not so much the transmission but the silence from Ford. That in itself is telling and there is no debate that this transmission can be problematic. Im not biting and will not touch a used car either with this trans. The cars are de valued imo.

As a potential buyer and as good as the 5 liter is there is no way it can over come this engineering cluster. Fix it Ford and man up!

When a 9 year old stang shifts better something is amiss. I have come to the conclusion that Ford just does not care anymore. There is no fix. Its hit and miss and God only knows what thte mt82 will bring down the road with high mileage. Are you willing to gamble? Im not and wont. THey can keep them. For those plugged in the used cars will take a huge hit on resale.' Thank Ford for that.

I am very disappointed on how this has all gone down. The consumer has had to force Fords hand and that should have not happened. Ford should have manned up right off the bat to try to fix this crap but they didnt. Its all about money now and screw the consumer. Attorneys are running Ford Motor Co now and hey just dont care about us imo. Its so sad.

My opinion of Ford Motor Co has gone from about a 8 or 9 on a ten scale to about a 4 given the recent problems with the Mt china 82, my ford touch, screwed up dual clutch transmission in the Fiesta and Focus. They seriously need to get all their **** in one bag. Right this minute, I am not impressed.
Is JMatero back from vacation already?

Seriously though, there are SOOO many more 2011/2012 owners that are having no to very little issues and MOST of the previous Mustang owners say this new trans shifts like butter compared to the older models.
Old 9/8/11, 04:06 PM

You always have to remember, people always speak out when something is wrong, but they rarely speak out when something isn't. If Ford sold 10,000 cars and only 10 had problems, the outcry would make it seem like 1,000 had problems.
Old 9/8/11, 04:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Timeless
Is JMatero back from vacation already?

Seriously though, there are SOOO many more 2011/2012 owners that are having no to very little issues and MOST of the previous Mustang owners say this new trans shifts like butter compared to the older models.
I think the real issue here is that many do state they shift like butter .....when new, after a few thousand miles they are shifting like cold butter. Seeing as Ford has already started making changes/upgrades to internal parts shows in part they recognize there is an issue. BRAVO!!!! Now fix the transmissions on those that are having issues....legitimate issues
Old 9/8/11, 05:35 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Say what ever you will but the china made mt82 has scared me off. Its not so much the transmission but the silence from Ford. That in itself is telling and there is no debate that this transmission can be problematic. Im not biting and will not touch a used car either with this trans. The cars are de valued imo.

As a potential buyer and as good as the 5 liter is there is no way it can over come this engineering cluster. Fix it Ford and man up!

When a 9 year old stang shifts better something is amiss. I have come to the conclusion that Ford just does not care anymore. There is no fix. Its hit and miss and God only knows what thte mt82 will bring down the road with high mileage. Are you willing to gamble? Im not and wont. THey can keep them. For those plugged in the used cars will take a huge hit on resale.' Thank Ford for that.

I am very disappointed on how this has all gone down. The consumer has had to force Fords hand and that should have not happened. Ford should have manned up right off the bat to try to fix this crap but they didnt. Its all about money now and screw the consumer. Attorneys are running Ford Motor Co now and hey just dont care about us imo. Its so sad.

My opinion of Ford Motor Co has gone from about a 8 or 9 on a ten scale to about a 4 given the recent problems with the Mt china 82, my ford touch, screwed up dual clutch transmission in the Fiesta and Focus. They seriously need to get all their **** in one bag. Right this minute, I am not impressed.
dang.. cool story bro.

let me say that I have owned more of these cars then 94%(yes I made that up) of these people on these forums. I have owned a 99,00,06,07,08,09,10 and now a 12. If you think the 2012 shift poorly next to a 2005-09 you umm might want to do soe real world hand on research. I have and I find onyl the skip shift to be lacking. I think the trans in my car to be clean and crisp when it comes from shifting. I have owned and driven all types of cars and the trans in these cars is fine. Its not a manual for a new person nor is it hard to use.

This whole thing is about a few wheels that need some grease. Out of how many people who have cried wolf have we really seen proof or anything come of it.

Ford not only cares but put far more effort and money into the new cars then the cars that came before.
Old 9/8/11, 08:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the MT-82 is causing you to write off the Mustang, then you have never really looked at the facts..not the number of threads or posts, but facts. The fact is 26000+ Mustangs have the MT-82 installed, and the NHTSA had 80 complaints as of last week, when I last checked. Many of those compliants were "hard shifting" comments.

I can only speak from experience. I have 13,800 miles on my 2011 GT/CS. The transmission shifts fine. In fact, as I have said before, I find reasons to drive to the car, and in fact bought SVT wheels and Blizzaks last winter. It is a joy in the snow and ice. Is it balky during the winter, when cold, yes, but so am I. I simply start the car, shift into neutral, and let it circulate the fluid while I get my seat belt on. A minute tops. On really cold days, -25 or so, I run through the gears a few times. If she is still balky when driving, I double clutch until she warms up. During the Summer I have no complaints at all.

Are other people having problems. I am sure they are. It is a mechanical device turned out by the thousands on an assembly line. There are bound to be some which are not up to standards. But that is why we have a warranty. From I have seen Ford has done everything it can to satisfy the customer with fluid changes, new clutch assembly's, and even multiple transmissions. If people are still not happy, well that is why we have Lemon Laws.

As for trade in value, that's not why I bought the car. And, based on what the car mags are saying, they don't seem to have any problems with transmissions, and consistently rate the Mustang #1. So, I don't see the MT-82 being a problem with resale.

Just for fun I went to a Camaro Forum, and thought I was back here...manual transmission problems were the topic du jour. So, when you buy that Camaro, well.....get an automatic.

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 9/8/11 at 08:39 PM.
Old 9/8/11, 09:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
If the MT-82 is causing you to write off the Mustang, then you have never really looked at the facts..not the number of threads or posts, but facts. The fact is 26000+ Mustangs have the MT-82 installed, and the NHTSA had 80 complaints as of last week, when I last checked. Many of those compliants were "hard shifting" comments.

I can only speak from experience. I have 13,800 miles on my 2011 GT/CS. The transmission shifts fine. In fact, as I have said before, I find reasons to drive to the car, and in fact bought SVT wheels and Blizzaks last winter. It is a joy in the snow and ice. Is it balky during the winter, when cold, yes, but so am I. I simply start the car, shift into neutral, and let it circulate the fluid while I get my seat belt on. A minute tops. On really cold days, -25 or so, I run through the gears a few times. If she is still balky when driving, I double clutch until she warms up. During the Summer I have no complaints at all.

Are other people having problems. I am sure they are. It is a mechanical device turned out by the thousands on an assembly line. There are bound to be some which are not up to standards. But that is why we have a warranty. From I have seen Ford has done everything it can to satisfy the customer with fluid changes, new clutch assembly's, and even multiple transmissions. If people are still not happy, well that is why we have Lemon Laws.

As for trade in value, that's not why I bought the car. And, based on what the car mags are saying, they don't seem to have any problems with transmissions, and consistently rate the Mustang #1. So, I don't see the MT-82 being a problem with resale.

Just for fun I went to a Camaro Forum, and thought I was back here...manual transmission problems were the topic du jour. So, when you buy that Camaro, well.....get an automatic.
It may be hard but trust me when I say I have an open mind. I really do. The complaints to NTHSA are around 130 plus the last I checked and still surging.

There is a problem with some of these transmissions no doubt. How many? I dont know. Its enough to scare me off. The main issue is that those with issues are not getting them fixed. Thats the problem.

There is not a doubt in my mind that cheap China parts are a big part of this. Ford has turned their head like it never happened and it is going to bite them so hard in the end they wont even know what hit them. If Im wrong then the owners will take one for the team on resale.

Ford had dropped the ball imo here. As excitited as I was about the 5 liter the china made mt82 took every single bit of that out of me. Im perfectly content with my 8 year old Mustang now.

Ford needs to **** or get off the pot on these transmissions.. I am almost embarrassed for them for such shoddy service. I honestly think they know the transmission is sub par at best and will just try to ride the storm out.

YOu can bet your *** i will never buy one with a Mt82 and you can take that to the bank.
Either fi
Old 9/8/11, 09:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
dang.. cool story bro.

let me say that I have owned more of these cars then 94%(yes I made that up) of these people on these forums. I have owned a 99,00,06,07,08,09,10 and now a 12. If you think the 2012 shift poorly next to a 2005-09 you umm might want to do soe real world hand on research. I have and I find onyl the skip shift to be lacking. I think the trans in my car to be clean and crisp when it comes from shifting. I have owned and driven all types of cars and the trans in these cars is fine. Its not a manual for a new person nor is it hard to use.

This whole thing is about a few wheels that need some grease. Out of how many people who have cried wolf have we really seen proof or anything come of it.

Ford not only cares but put far more effort and money into the new cars then the cars that came before.
THIS

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL

THISSSSSSSSSSSSS
Old 9/8/11, 09:19 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
all that I have read ford is doing the right thing and helping those who have problems. They can not fix the Feel of shift that some do not like because its not broken. The 2005-07 mustang had had more issues. I know I had a few of them. Alot of the people that have a problem but are not getting them fixed had mods and voided the warranty. They are now lashing out.

"surging"? 135 in over a year is in no way "surging".
Old 9/8/11, 11:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I still haven't made a thread (which I need to), but thought I'd add some relevent info:

I took my car in for a whine in all gears, it was fairly loud and had started with delivery of the car (at first just thought it was normal noise until it kept getting louder, my car came with 108 miles from the factory, it was pulled for longer term testing before delivery to dealer and had a note in the window of such).

Today during check in with the dealer, they mentioned that the whine would have turned into something much worse very shortly had I not brought it in, and that a replacement transmission had been authorized and the original plan to replace parts in mine had been scrapped. There's a backorder of the MT82's, and I have a priority request for one, but its pretty interesting stuff.

Other than an occassional difficult shift into 4th when the transmission was hot, I really didn't have any problems with mine outside the whine. I was surprised to find that the whole thing is being replaced at 20k on my car, however happy that Ford is taking my satisfaction so seriously.
Old 9/9/11, 12:01 AM
V6 Member

That's it! Tomorrow I'm going to donate my 5.0 to goodwill! I just know that the trans is going to break any second!

Wait! Goodwill might not take it due to all of the trans complaints...what do I do then?

Old 9/9/11, 01:47 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

You will not ketch me anywhere near one of them.

YOu guys can be the test pilots not me.
What are we discussing here; sailing craft, aircraft, or cars? I thought I was on a Mustang forum.
Old 9/9/11, 03:56 AM
V6 Member

It may be hard but trust me when I say I have an open mind. I really do. The complaints to NTHSA are around 130 plus the last I checked and still surging.

There is a problem with some of these transmissions no doubt. How many? I dont know. Its enough to scare me off. The main issue is that those with issues are not getting them fixed. Thats the problem.

There is not a doubt in my mind that cheap China parts are a big part of this. Ford has turned their head like it never happened and it is going to bite them so hard in the end they wont even know what hit them. If Im wrong then the owners will take one for the team on resale.

Ford had dropped the ball imo here. As excitited as I was about the 5 liter the china made mt82 took every single bit of that out of me. Im perfectly content with my 8 year old Mustang now.

Ford needs to **** or get off the pot on these transmissions.. I am almost embarrassed for them for such shoddy service. I honestly think they know the transmission is sub par at best and will just try to ride the storm out.

YOu can bet your *** i will never buy one with a Mt82 and you can take that to the bank.
Either fi
How do you know this what because few say on the net. Have you really read all through the BS thats being spread around. I will tell you this you're only getting part of the story from them. But in Jmatreo case he's saying there all junk and all BS going along with it. But why so many don't have issues then. If you search his name he seems to have issue about everything.

So it's made in China I do think you fail to know how much stuff come from there. Even Tremec has most of it's parts coming from there just assemble in this country that don't mean it's better.
Old 9/9/11, 05:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I honestly think they know the transmission is sub par at best and will just try to ride the storm out.
One only has to talk to any of the Mustang engineers to know they passionately care about the cars. In the process of making revisions, based on feedback, there are many things that have to be designed, checked, re-checked, manufactured, tested, and then ordered for this to come together.

Every time I have spoken to anyone who has worked on the manufacturing and engineering sides of this and the last generation of Mustang, I don't come away with that impression.
Old 9/9/11, 07:30 AM
V6 Member

The statement below tells me one of two things. Either this is matero using another alias or someone that hangs on every word that matero posts. This is the exact same statement that matero uses in most of his posts. I'm leaning towards the first statement.

Btw, on the way to work yesterday I saw a camaro for sale at the Ford dealer. What could this possibly mean?

That in itself is telling and there is no debate that this transmission can be problematic.
Old 9/9/11, 08:00 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by beerbarrel
The statement below tells me one of two things. Either this is matero using another alias or someone that hangs on every word that matero posts. This is the exact same statement that matero uses in most of his posts. I'm leaning towards the first statement.

Btw, on the way to work yesterday I saw a camaro for sale at the Ford dealer. What could this possibly mean?
The mods should be able to see if their IPs match.

However, I do not remember Matero making as many misspellings as this guy.
Old 9/9/11, 08:04 AM
GT Member

Just want to report that I'm at 4000 miles, no issues, no worries, loving this car. Need to detail it again, I've neglected it for a few weeks and that is by far its biggest "problem." I get about 270 miles/tank but that's because I beat it on.
Old 9/9/11, 08:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by beerbarrel
No, I know chevys from the Mach 1 Registry and he is a different dude

While I certainly understand why this situation has given pause to some and doesn't concern others, it is the limited information, combined with passionate responses, that seem to conspire toward the situation we have today.

At any rate, it would appear changes are being worked into this for the 2013 model year, based on what some have posted about part number updates.

I will say this - I have wondered if trying to fit a shifter for a 6-speed manual into the same space where a 5-speed previously resided might have something to do with this.
Old 9/9/11, 08:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
One only has to talk to any of the Mustang engineers to know they passionately care about the cars. In the process of making revisions, based on feedback, there are many things that have to be designed, checked, re-checked, manufactured, tested, and then ordered for this to come together.

Every time I have spoken to anyone who has worked on the manufacturing and engineering sides of this and the last generation of Mustang, I don't come away with that impression.
Tony I dont doubt your word a bit. I believe you. My fear is that the bean counters made the call at the expense of better quality parts. Or, the factory in China has skimped out on quality standards hoping to get away with it. I would bet Ford is breathing down their necks now.

For you others no Im not JMatero. Please have a moderator check my IP. Just because I may share some of his opinions I should not be lumped into some "trouble maker" group. I just want to be able to buy with confidence.

Imo, this is the best Mustang ever built and especially the Boss 302. The truth may well lie somewhere in between of what we all think and read. For the life of me I dont understand why Ford is silent on the issue. I guess they have to be now with the investigation and all.

I will say this. The Mustang faithful are a demanding bunch and I include myself in that group. Its a very unique market segment for sure. I just hope somebody can get to the bottom of the problems and put it to rest.

Until then, I will remain skeptical.

Last edited by 3Mach1; 9/9/11 at 08:32 AM.
Old 9/9/11, 11:33 AM
V6 Member

Not meaning to lump you in with anyone....it's just the comments that you made mirrored his exactly....made me wonder

Tony I dont doubt your word a bit. I believe you. My fear is that the bean counters made the call at the expense of better quality parts. Or, the factory in China has skimped out on quality standards hoping to get away with it. I would bet Ford is breathing down their necks now.

For you others no Im not JMatero. Please have a moderator check my IP. Just because I may share some of his opinions I should not be lumped into some "trouble maker" group. I just want to be able to buy with confidence.

Imo, this is the best Mustang ever built and especially the Boss 302. The truth may well lie somewhere in between of what we all think and read. For the life of me I dont understand why Ford is silent on the issue. I guess they have to be now with the investigation and all.

I will say this. The Mustang faithful are a demanding bunch and I include myself in that group. Its a very unique market segment for sure. I just hope somebody can get to the bottom of the problems and put it to rest.

Until then, I will remain skeptical.
Old 9/9/11, 01:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds to me like chevys is just one of those old people who can't swallow the fact that the trans comes out of China. So he is blowing it out for proportion and blaming everything on China. I think he is just mad at Ford for sending those jobs overseas, and anything less than building the transmission in the US won't make him happy.

I bet a transmission that actually was junk (unlike the MT82) but built here he would be defending.

You don't even own one, quit spreading crap about all the "problems". At least if you went and spend YOUR money on one and had trouble you'd have the right to complain.

Please show me btw people who "aren't getting them fixed", every story I have heard lately (including my own) is people getting them taken care of at the dealer with a replacement transmission.

My car shifts like teflon coated oil covered in buttery goodness.

Quick Reply: NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems