Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/11, 01:39 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EDIT

I probably mis-read the parts site, as I read it now, the updated transmission dates are August 25, 2010, and July 25, 2011. My apologies for the error.

This info still stands:

As before:
- there are three versions of output shaft bearings (no dates given)
- there are two versions of input shaft bearings (no dates given)
- 5th and 6th gears were revised July 25th

Last edited by PTRocks; 9/6/11 at 08:57 PM.
Old 9/3/11, 09:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PTRocks
UPDATE

The fordparts.com website is now showing a new transmission revision, for cars produced as of August 25th. (The last revision was July 25th).
Keep in mind these revisions can occur for a number of reasons, so they may or may not be relevant to the issues people are having.

I'm looking to see if any components are listed for the latest revision, I'll edit this post later.

As before:
- there are three versions of output shaft bearings (no dates given)
- there are two versions of input shaft bearings (no dates given)
- 5th and 6th gears were revised July 25th

It appears the details of the August 25th revision aren't yet discernible.
This would be bad news.... It might validate that the transmission issue DOES exist. That would be bad for all those that believe that the problem is caused by people not knowing how to drive a manual transmission.... what will they have to say now!!
Old 9/3/11, 09:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Good find there Chris, i say that is good news for those having issues with their MT82 trannys. Just proves that Ford is trying to fix the problem by replacing parts with improved ones. Let's hope NHTSA investigate into this as well.
Old 9/3/11, 09:50 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
General warning to everyone to keep this thread clean of garbage and keep it transmission related or it will suffer the same fate as the other transmission thread.
Old 9/3/11, 10:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
General warning to everyone to keep this thread clean of garbage and keep it transmission related or it will suffer the same fate as the other transmission thread.
AH man, just as i was about to post in the JMatero thread. You party pooper...
Old 9/4/11, 01:22 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
AH man, just as i was about to post in the JMatero thread. You party pooper...
I thought we weren't supposed to post in his thread. Oops.

Well, official transmission content here ->... another good day of wasting gas with no flaws.
Old 9/6/11, 08:01 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
everyone got scared out of this thread

Last edited by Flagstang; 9/6/11 at 08:02 PM.
Old 9/6/11, 08:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
everyone got scared out of this thread

Well, for me... too many warnings from other sites when I'd call BS on Jesus numbers. Not as much scared as much as let him version his own bible.
Old 9/6/11, 09:00 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
No news is good news. Right?
Old 9/6/11, 09:12 PM
GT Member

More like somebody is on a vacation.
Old 9/7/11, 01:35 AM

I think if Ford is going with coated gears as rumored, then that may help them become more durable and break in more reliably.
Old 9/7/11, 01:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

In Ford's case and leaving everyone with tranny " concerns" ( has they like to call it ) in the loop, no it is not..
Old 9/7/11, 05:12 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have no worries or concerns. People that cry 100% of the time and do something about 1% of them time are not worth any time. If my car break ford will fix it. if its my doing I will fix her. If its ford and they will not fix it they will meet my lawyer again.
Old 9/7/11, 08:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm still having problems with my clutch.
Old 9/8/11, 11:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Say what ever you will but the china made mt82 has scared me off. Its not so much the transmission but the silence from Ford. That in itself is telling and there is no debate that this transmission can be problematic. Im not biting and will not touch a used car either with this trans. The cars are de valued imo.

As a potential buyer and as good as the 5 liter is there is no way it can over come this engineering cluster. Fix it Ford and man up!

When a 9 year old stang shifts better something is amiss. I have come to the conclusion that Ford just does not care anymore. There is no fix. Its hit and miss and God only knows what thte mt82 will bring down the road with high mileage. Are you willing to gamble? Im not and wont. THey can keep them. For those plugged in the used cars will take a huge hit on resale.' Thank Ford for that.

I am very disappointed on how this has all gone down. The consumer has had to force Fords hand and that should have not happened. Ford should have manned up right off the bat to try to fix this crap but they didnt. Its all about money now and screw the consumer. Attorneys are running Ford Motor Co now and hey just dont care about us imo. Its so sad.

My opinion of Ford Motor Co has gone from about a 8 or 9 on a ten scale to about a 4 given the recent problems with the Mt china 82, my ford touch, screwed up dual clutch transmission in the Fiesta and Focus. They seriously need to get all their **** in one bag. Right this minute, I am not impressed.

Last edited by 3Mach1; 9/8/11 at 11:23 AM.
Old 9/8/11, 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by chevys
Say what ever you will but the china made mt82 has scared me off. Its not so much the transmission but the silence from Ford. That in itself is telling and there is no debate that this transmission can be problematic. Im not biting and will not touch a used car either with this trans. The cars are de valued imo.

As a potential buyer and as good as the 5 liter is there is no way it can over come this engineering cluster. Fix it Ford and man up!

When a 9 year old stang shifts better something is amiss. I have come to the conclusion that Ford just does not care anymore. There is no fix. Its hit and miss and God only knows what thte mt82 will bring down the road with high mileage. Are you willing to gamble? Im not and wont. THey can keep them. For those plugged in the used cars will take a huge hit on resale.' Thank Ford for that.

I am very disappointed on how this has all gone down. The consumer has had to force Fords hand and that should have not happened. Ford should have manned up right off the bat to try to fix this crap but they didnt. Its all about money now and screw the consumer. Attorneys are running Ford Motor Co now and hey just dont care about us imo. Its so sad.

My opinion of Ford Motor Co has gone from about a 8 or 9 on a ten scale to about a 4 given the recent problems with the Mt china 82, my ford touch, screwed up dual clutch transmission in the Fiesta and Focus. They seriously need to get all their **** in one bag. Right this minute, I am not impressed.

cool story bro
Old 9/8/11, 12:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by blackgt87
cool story bro
I don't think it's a cool story at all. I've been a long time Ford loyalest and it's a concerning story.

I can give you example after example of companies that stopped producing a quality product, cut corners and didn't care about the consumer that purchased those products. Those companies aren't doing so hot these days.

I want to see Ford continue as a healthy company that markets fun cars. While chevys may have been around here for a while, you can bet that there are potential buyers in the same position he is. If you're making a big purchase on something you intend to keep for a while, an informed buyer will take all information in to account. Speculation or not.

Here's a good example for you. Remember Dell? Everyone wanted one, they were the hot ticket and sold like hotcakes. Until everyone started realizing that the components were cheap, they cut corners wherever possible and then when there were issues, their customer service was atrocious. How's that company doing these days?

That's right. Now they have to market extremely cheap laptops as fashion accessories to freshman college students just to stay in business.

Ford isn't there yet, but I will attest that they aren't handling this situation very well.
Old 9/8/11, 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jlmounce
I don't think it's a cool story at all. I've been a long time Ford loyalest and it's a concerning story.

I can give you example after example of companies that stopped producing a quality product, cut corners and didn't care about the consumer that purchased those products. Those companies aren't doing so hot these days.

I want to see Ford continue as a healthy company that markets fun cars. While chevys may have been around here for a while, you can bet that there are potential buyers in the same position he is. If you're making a big purchase on something you intend to keep for a while, an informed buyer will take all information in to account. Speculation or not.

Here's a good example for you. Remember Dell? Everyone wanted one, they were the hot ticket and sold like hotcakes. Until everyone started realizing that the components were cheap, they cut corners wherever possible and then when there were issues, their customer service was atrocious. How's that company doing these days?

That's right. Now they have to market extremely cheap laptops as fashion accessories to freshman college students just to stay in business.

Ford isn't there yet, but I will attest that they aren't handling this situation very well.
COOL STORY BRO

I think chevys is trying to drive the price down so he can get one cheaper!! lol
Old 9/8/11, 03:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by blackgt87
COOL STORY BRO

I think chevys is trying to drive the price down so he can get one cheaper!! lol
Not at all. I would not touch one at almost any price. They have a known flaw and that is the transmission. You will not ketch me anywhere near one of them. They will go down in history like the 99 Cobras. A big screw up.

For now, I am fine with my 10 year old stang. I sure as hell dont want to buy anew one knowing of transmission issues when mine works just fine. YOu guys can be the test pilots not me.

I will patiently wait it out and hope for a solution. Right now, My hopes are in the dumps. I dont think Ford gives a care one way or the other. If they do hey sure are no showing it. Im NOT impressed with them of late anyway to be honest.
Old 9/8/11, 03:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chevys
Not at all. I would not touch one at almost any price. They have a known flaw and that is the transmission. You will not ketch me anywhere near one of them. They will go down in history like the 99 Cobras. A big screw up.

For now, I am fine with my 10 year old stang. I sure as hell dont want to buy anew one knowing of transmission issues when mine works just fine. YOu guys can be the test pilots not me.

I will patiently wait it out and hope for a solution. Right now, My hopes are in the dumps. I dont think Ford gives a care one way or the other. If they do hey sure are no showing it. Im NOT impressed with them of late anyway to be honest.
No issues with either of my 2010 Mustang GT(s), no issues with my Ford Flex (including MyTouch) and no issues with my 2012 Boss 302 transmission. On the other hand... my 2011 Chevy Impala (6718 miles)is already wearing the inside of the front tires in exactly the same manner as my 2008 Chevy impala did. Chevy's response.... the alignment is within spec, they replaced the tires just like they did every 8-9k miles on the other one. Guess no should ever buy another Chevy product either due to this known issue with the impala. This proves that Chevy just does not care and is run by a bunch of lawyers..... I haven't been impressed with Chevy since my 2008 Impala.......

By the way... the ONLY Chevy in my driveway was forced down my throat by my company....it's a company car that I am embarrassed to own. It's junk for a supposed family car...CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP

Last edited by MyStang2010GB; 9/8/11 at 04:04 PM.

Quick Reply: NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems