2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/11, 01:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
Just to add, dropped off my GT this morning at the dealer, mine shifted ok for the most part, (don't try to go into 4th quickly when it is hot) however brought it in for excessive whine. It sounds like I have an older centrifugal rockcrusher blower, can hear it reflecting off buildings or dividers in the road now
Any idea how long the car will be down?
Old 8/29/11, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
Any idea how long the car will be down?
Not sure.

I'd think the rear end seal would be simple. I hope they call me first, because if the back cover comes off I want to put the GT500/Boss finned cover on.

The transmission is up to ford. Will they tell me that its normal for it to sound like a quaife dog box, rebuild it replacing whatever parts are responsible, or replace the whole unit? I'm not sure, but I'd prefer to go whatever route eliminates that noise. (It sounds cool, but at the same time I know its not a noise that is supposed to happen)

then the AC looks like the clutch literally grenaded (I think it broke internally, then saturday on the way to the pavs it kicked the AC belt), and finally a noise from the passenger side at 70+mph. I think those will be 1 day assuming parts available.
Old 8/29/11, 02:14 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep...he does have a point alright. But, if its transmission updates that he seeks then he should head over to allfordmustangs and read the transmission thread. That is where all the new stuff hits first.

Originally Posted by Overboost
He has a point. The reason this thread hasn't been closed yet is because the mod team has cleaned it up on several occasions. People get into personal tiffs and it clutters up the thread. Otherwise, this thread is gonna get locked down soon.
Old 8/29/11, 02:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

and finally a noise from the passenger side at 70+mph.
I think I'll leave my wife at home on track days so I can avoid that noise.
Old 8/29/11, 02:35 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by beerbarrel
Yep...he does have a point alright. But, if its transmission updates that he seeks then he should head over to allfordmustangs and read the transmission thread. That is where all the new stuff hits first.
Yeah, it may, but if you don't feel like sifting through PAGES of nonsense, you come here. That thread on AFM is totally out of control, and jmatero and ssimaniac are in there in full force going on and on about how Ford has failed them.

Point is, we're trying to keep this thread more closely focused on facts, not opinionated exaggerations.
Old 8/29/11, 02:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by phiggs54
I think I'll leave my wife at home on track days so I can avoid that noise.
Single guy here, that was my first diagnostic test (check for wedding ring, no, check for girl in passenger seat, no).
Old 8/29/11, 03:43 PM

Not sure.

I'd think the rear end seal would be simple. I hope they call me first, because if the back cover comes off I want to put the GT500/Boss finned cover on.

The transmission is up to ford. Will they tell me that its normal for it to sound like a quaife dog box, rebuild it replacing whatever parts are responsible, or replace the whole unit? I'm not sure, but I'd prefer to go whatever route eliminates that noise. (It sounds cool, but at the same time I know its not a noise that is supposed to happen)

then the AC looks like the clutch literally grenaded (I think it broke internally, then saturday on the way to the pavs it kicked the AC belt), and finally a noise from the passenger side at 70+mph. I think those will be 1 day assuming parts available.
Ugh quite the laundry list of issues. Any possibility that the transmission noise is a roasted pilot bearing?
Old 8/29/11, 03:51 PM
V6 Member

I agree. That is why I'm over here and not over there. It's also helps to actually log in and use the ignore function.

Originally Posted by Overboost
Yeah, it may, but if you don't feel like sifting through PAGES of nonsense, you come here. That thread on AFM is totally out of control, and jmatero and ssimaniac are in there in full force going on and on about how Ford has failed them.

Point is, we're trying to keep this thread more closely focused on facts, not opinionated exaggerations.
Old 8/29/11, 04:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ugh quite the laundry list of issues. Any possibility that the transmission noise is a roasted pilot bearing?
certainly possible, although the noise picked up quite a bit when they went to the QDC fluid fill on my car.

Just got an update, new compressor is going in, probably won't be done with A/C work until end of day. The remainder of the list will get picked up tomorrow
Old 8/29/11, 04:43 PM
GTR Member

certainly possible, although the noise picked up quite a bit when they went to the QDC fluid fill on my car.

Just got an update, new compressor is going in, probably won't be done with A/C work until end of day. The remainder of the list will get picked up tomorrow
I know the feeling, mine went in earlier today for a host of issues; creaky seat, shift boot damage, clunking between shifts, rear axle breather leaking, and the issues I had not being able to shift into reverse not too long ago. Just wondering what they'll find.
Old 8/29/11, 05:09 PM

I take it this means you will not be going to INDE with ProAutoSports this weekend?

You should try out the Mondo event (Main + Bondurant) Sept 23-25 if the car is healthy again by then!
Old 8/29/11, 05:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

I take it this means you will not be going to INDE with ProAutoSports this weekend?

You should try out the Mondo event (Main + Bondurant) Sept 23-25 if the car is healthy again by then!
Yeah, sounds like I'm going to miss out on a good time

However, I'll try to make the mondo event, and then I have a shot at Inde the weekend after.

However, in positive news, I took podium (3rd place) in a NASA-AZ kart race, had to work my *** off in that race to get that spot, bumper to bumper with Austin Newmark (a talented young driver, just finished testing a Daytona Prototype at Infineon).
Old 8/29/11, 05:54 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
anyone want to link the afm thread? I may want to get my bored out later
Old 8/29/11, 05:58 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 618 Likes on 445 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
Gonna fire up that trolling motor and cruise to different part of the pond?
Old 8/29/11, 08:08 PM
GT Member

You can't miss the thread on AFM. They have it marked in glowing neon letters when you arrive.
Old 8/31/11, 11:01 AM
GTR Member

Get your shovel out...

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ng-thread.html

You'll see there are a few carrying pitchforks and torches in there.
Old 8/31/11, 12:12 PM

However, in positive news, I took podium (3rd place) in a NASA-AZ kart race, had to work my *** off in that race to get that spot, bumper to bumper with Austin Newmark (a talented young driver, just finished testing a Daytona Prototype at Infineon).
Nice work!
Old 8/31/11, 07:12 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Timeless
You can't miss the thread on AFM. They have it marked in glowing neon letters when you arrive.
Maybe I'll go and check that out.
Old 8/31/11, 09:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Say it ain't so!!!!!
It ain't so!!!!!!...At least mine isn't having problems
Old 8/31/11, 09:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so I made this for this thread