05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Installing a Factory NAV on a 2005 'Stang

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/07, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Looks great, Art! I'll give this 'How-To' a !!!

Just from my observations..

Can the NAV receiver be centered better within the center dash opening? Or is it pretty much non-adjustable?

Could that error message be because there's no antenna jack plugged into the back?

Can the volume **** be pulled off like the ones on the Shaker so you can put a MGW one on?
I attempted to install a Ford navigation system last September and ran into the same issues. At the time, the dealer was unable to program the navigation unit to work with the car.

The volume **** is removable. However, the nav unit volume **** is smaller than the Shaker 500/1000 volume ****.
Old 4/27/07, 03:17 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The local dealership here told me yesterday that the best bet for re-programming was they would just copy the programming from a factory Mustang Nav, but if there are problems with them too, that will just pass them on. I hope to get my unit installed and programmed next week, we'll see how it goes.
Old 4/30/07, 07:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey MRKABC any updates?
Old 4/30/07, 11:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by bee bop
Hey MRKABC any updates?
None yet... I'll check with KC this afternoon to see if he has heard anything. He's been sending me updates on my home email (blocked here at work) and I had the baby this past weekend... so I was too busy chasing a 2 year old and not paying attention to anything else!!! (didn't even get to install my MGW shifter either!)

I'll update as soon as I hear something.
Old 5/2/07, 10:15 PM
Bullitt Member

MY GF is my NAV.. And it works!!!!!!!
Old 5/3/07, 06:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ours works as well we just have an anoying little navigation error screen at startup. You OK it and everything work fine, but I have noticed that my speed compensated volume doesn't always work like it should.
Old 5/3/07, 04:33 PM
GT Member

Please post as soon as you learn anything as I have the same issue thanks.
Old 5/5/07, 03:51 PM
Bullitt Member

I talked to a guy at my ford dealer and he told me he'd install a pioneer system for $2,400. I'm not asking for pricing. I just want to make sure I'm not getting hosed here. Is this price about right?
Old 5/5/07, 04:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bennyandthejets
I talked to a guy at my ford dealer and he told me he'd install a pioneer system for $2,400. I'm not asking for pricing. I just want to make sure I'm not getting hosed here. Is this price about right?
Thats about what my dealer quoted me too. I went with a Pioneer AVIC-Z2 that I picked u on E Bay for $1600. With the info on here I think I can install it no problem. This unit is a lot nicer than the factory one, and both made by Pioneer.
Old 5/5/07, 11:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I just checked out the z2 online and am amazed at what you get for the price.

I have worked behind the dash a bit in a few cars and am also fairly familiar with stereo setups. Anyone think I should be able to wire this thing in to my shaker 1000 without any hiccups?

I'm ok with having a proffesional do it as well. If I decided to go this route, anybody give me an estimate on how much I should be paying?

Ben
Old 5/7/07, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Bump
Old 5/7/07, 03:41 PM

I've seen one or two other AVIC models for around $1000, don't remember which ones I looked at though.

I put my factory nav in friday (mostly) with ease, shouldn't be hard to put an aftermarket in. I don't have an antenna or nav dvd yet, and I still have to get it reprogrammed to work in the Mustang (came out of an Excursion).

I did notice that I didn't need the antenna adapter, but my car's an '07, that could be why. I had already ordered one though, it's on it's way from Crutchfields now. if anyone needs the adapter let me know.

My antenna and DVD should get here in a couple days, and I'll get the nav reprogrammed as soon as they get here and I get them installed. Other than not having nav functions now, I've noticed that I don't have backlighting on the buttons, and I can't change the date/time at all. I can look at the calendar, but it won't let me set the current date, and the buttons are all greyed out when I try to update time. I assume this is because it's not set up for my car yet, and will check it all again when they reprogram it for me.
Old 5/7/07, 07:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just got the Z2 delevered today. wow the features . too bad I don't have a car right now to put it in.
Old 5/7/07, 07:36 PM
GT Member

You say you have not received your antenna yet. When you do and install the antenna and connect it your clock will work. Mine was the same untill I connected the gps antenna. Thats how they get the correct time,off the sat"s.
Old 5/8/07, 07:01 AM
Bullitt Member

The backlighting will work when you get it programmed. Gets the info off the data stream for back light level.
Old 5/8/07, 07:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Doug, tell me all about the Z2 as I'm seriously considering this. Also, are there any extra parts for the Z2 that I need to get it working in my mustang?
Old 5/8/07, 08:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bennyandthejets
Hey Doug, tell me all about the Z2 as I'm seriously considering this. Also, are there any extra parts for the Z2 that I need to get it working in my mustang?
The Z2 is the latest AVIC head unit from Pioneer.
There's a lot of different Pioneer AVIC models to select from....
For a good source of install information and discussion about all the AVIC models check out avic411.com
The older models are still available on ebay and are pretty reasonable....the units that were $1600 a year ago are below $1000 now...
If your thinking of doing the install yourself and want some technical support with your purchase, then check out Crutchfield.com
If you buy from them, they will answer all your questions and help you get it right....I've read that if you buy just the wiring harnass from them they will help with your questions.
Crutchfield is also a good source to checkout all the accessories that go with each head unit.....You'll need to decide what 'extras' you want with your system like HD Radio, SAT Radio, HDD Navigation, I-Pod, Blue Tooth, Rear View Camera, etc. All these options are add ons and can be found in the accessories tab for the head unit your looking at.

hags1
Old 5/8/07, 09:14 AM

Glad to hear the date/time and backlighting will work once I get it programmed and the antenna installed. Just thought it odd there's a screen for the date and time, but I can't modify it. So right now my car says its Jan 4th 2004, and is about 6 hours off.

Hopefully the antenna will get here today.
Old 5/8/07, 11:55 AM

Ok, Antenna is here, I'll put it in at lunch. Hopefully the dvd isn't too far behind it, and I'll try to get the thing reprogrammed on Thursday morning.

Old 5/8/07, 12:32 PM
Bullitt Member

One other note on the Z2....it sounds like they still don't have a hack for that unit so you can bypass the lockout feature installed by Pioneer. It'll work fine, but you won't be able to watch DVDs while driving....

hags1

Quick Reply: Installing a Factory NAV on a 2005 'Stang