05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Installing a Factory NAV on a 2005 'Stang

Search this Thread

Old 4/19/07, 04:00 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the setup.. i love it!
only wish Pioneer made maps for Dubai, and i would have jumped on one of these!

One thing though.
i have a Garmin StreetPilot 2820, which has an internal antenna.
the unit was mounted on top of my dash, and had a relatively bad signal quality till i moved it further down, closer to the windscreen, which in turn exposed it more to the outside of the car (the roof was in the way otherwise blinding the signal from above and behind the receiver)

i eventually got an external antenna.. installed that on the top left corner of my rear window, giving it an 80% clear view of the sky and my Garmin now has full signal at all times.
i can see on the GPS Map that i'm picking signals from 6-7 satellites on average, rather than 3-4.
not to mention, it barely takes 10-15 seconds till it's ready to navigate while before it took 2-3 minutes to lock on my position after i start it.

Based on all of that.. i seriously don't understand how your navigation system would work at all.
if you think of it.. imagine all the plastic trim didn't exist around the antenna as that won't block off the satellite signals (AC vents, dash top, etc), your antenna is still caged in, and barely has a 20% view of the sky through the narrow clearance it has through the windscreen.. the rest is blocked off by the roof.

i think you'll do a whole lot better if you place the antenna deeper inside the dash ( don't place it under any metal panel though )

just a thought! hope that helps
Old 4/19/07, 06:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Art & Bee Bop,

What I'm surprised the factory Nav system doesn't have is a hookup to a speed sensor and compass. The reason I say this is because of the factory nav in my daily driver. When I park in the underground parking garage, it shows that it loses the Nav signal (makes total sense), but the Nav still works correctly as I make my turns throughout the parking garage. It turns as I turn. When I come out of the parking garage, it knows where I'm at and instantly regains the satellite signals.

Taking 1 or more minutes seems like a long time for a factory nav. Every factory nav I've ever seen (Honda, Acura, Benz, Lexus) gets the satellite signal almost instantly.
Old 4/20/07, 02:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PM me the price please.

Thanks,
-danny
Old 4/20/07, 02:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an appointment with the dealer Thursday to check it out. Will let y'all know the results.
Old 4/20/07, 05:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Update:

I talked to KC today, he is looking in to the error message and bass issue.

Be Bop is right, according to KC the antenna adapter is supposed to be included with the NAV, guess mine got lost somehow. No worries though, KC is on the job! I'll update you guys as to how it goes.

What a guy!
Old 4/20/07, 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

The nav looks great Art.

As soon as the '08 HID's are available to order, I'm calling KC.
Old 4/21/07, 10:07 AM
Cobra R Member

KC if were starting a list on the HID's to come on the 08, Please put me on it,LOL. I too am interested in a retrofit if the price is reasonable. See ya
Old 4/21/07, 10:25 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Here is The Antenna Location From The Factory.

Below From My Original NAV FORUM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
NOTICE!!!!!!!!! 12/26/06

Nav Units are Now Available and Priced in My Current Hotsheets!
These units are Plug and Play and Will Work With Premium , 500 And YES Shaker 1000 Units. To Order All I will Need Is Year and Radio Style. This Unit will Accept the Sirius Kit. You Can Have it All! These are Specially Programed and Not Just an 07 Replacement Nav Unit. If you Attempt to Merely Purchase an 07 Unit at your Local Dealer it may or may not work at all. FYI My Kits Come with Antenna and Nav Disc! These are not Programmed to Play DVD's Since they are Visible to Driver.

KC

Read Sig For Pricing Info!
Old 4/21/07, 10:30 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,862 Posts
Originally Posted by sodaman
KC if were starting a list on the HID's to come on the 08, Please put me on it,LOL. I too am interested in a retrofit if the price is reasonable. See ya
I will Start a Quote HID Forum when I Have enough Info from Ford. I need the Wiring Diagram and Parts to Release before I can Make a Stab at any Retrofit. I doubt the Parts will Release until Very Close to Job 1.

KC
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pioneermanual[1].pdf (823.8 KB, 500 views)
Old 4/23/07, 01:30 PM
Bullitt Member

The error is because the unit is not programmed for your car. Likely its not getting data from the buss. You can get the diagnostic code and tell what the problem is. Hopefully your dealer can update the programming to work with your car. Mine still does not as the GT500s are somewhat different and updated software is not yet available. At least I did not pay the uprated price to KC and STILL have the problem.

These units have to be programed to the specific vehicle they are installed in. Not all work correctly with the currently available firmware in the NAV units. An update is pending according to Pioneer.

The unit uses the sat for position but not direction and speed. it uses an internal gyro for that. Thats why it works inside a parking garage.
Old 4/23/07, 01:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

KC and I are working on a fix! Hopefully we will find something out soon.
Old 4/23/07, 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

if the error is fixed, i am so going with this over the Alpine IVA-W200 I am looking at
Old 4/23/07, 02:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OdiousBarbarian
if the error is fixed, i am so going with this over the Alpine IVA-W200 I am looking at
The W200 is out of production now, being replaced with the W205.
Old 4/23/07, 06:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow I like the Ford logo is that there on boot up ? I am so close to buying this tonight reg 2,600.00 on for 1,999.00 has a 30 gig hard drive so can listen to music while Nav is used or what you may have stored ?
http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/pna...670339,00.html
Old 4/24/07, 07:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
KC and I are working on a fix! Hopefully we will find something out soon.
What DTC code(s) is your unit reporting?
Old 4/24/07, 10:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by jcthorne
What DTC code(s) is your unit reporting?
I pulled them up last night and wrote them down. There are three of them - one is "GPS Antenna Failure" but since I was in a garage with no signal at the time I am not counting that one.

When I get home I'll post the codes.

FYI for those who don't know how to access the diagnostic menu in the NAV the procedure is to switch to radio mode then press and hold the "3" and "6" buttons simultaneously. A diagnostic menu will appear on the touch screen which really has a wealth of information.

One of the things I found out after accessing the screen is that it looks like I got a "NIB" unit (new in box) and not one that had been customized for my car - the option for "convertible" and the front and rear subwoofer is currently "not available". No wonder I don't have much bass!

I am thinking that there must have been a mix up at the supplier when my unit was sent out, and my customized unit wasn't sent to me. If that is in fact the case (KC is aware and working on it) then it's a trivial mistake and an easy fix. I'll keep you all posted!
Old 4/24/07, 10:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
Wow I like the Ford logo is that there on boot up ? I am so close to buying this tonight reg 2,600.00 on for 1,999.00 has a 30 gig hard drive so can listen to music while Nav is used or what you may have stored ?
http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/pna...670339,00.html
Yes, the Ford logo is there on boot up!

You can listen to music or CD while the NAV map is running (and talking to you as well, telling you directions). The only limitation is that you can't watch movies... (Like I care about watching movies, I'm driving the car!)
Old 4/24/07, 04:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Yes, the Ford logo is there on boot up!

You can listen to music or CD while the NAV map is running (and talking to you as well, telling you directions). The only limitation is that you can't watch movies... (Like I care about watching movies, I'm driving the car!)
So, the player can contain 1 DVD and how many CDs at the same time?
Old 4/24/07, 04:45 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
1 DVD for the nav and 6 cd's seperately.
Old 4/24/07, 05:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Are you allowed to say how much for the Ford Factory Nav ? or is it a pm thingy, I did not get the one last night &* if I miss it as it was last years modle then I may go with Ford at least I will get a disscount as it will be an accessorie for the car.

Quick Reply: Installing a Factory NAV on a 2005 'Stang