05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/07, 06:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any pics of non painted, out of the box louvers?

Jay
Old 2/27/07, 07:00 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's some on our website in the webstore section.

If you're asking regarding them installed and unpainted - I don't think you will see that happen. The glue edge (the outer lip) has to be painted like the OE glass to hide the glue line. Other than that, you can leave the entire louver area unpainted, but the lip at a minimum would need to be painted black or body color.

The pre-production piece I had in mine was that way, and the look started to grow on me, but we ended up putting a set of all-white production pieces in so people would see what they look like painted body color.
Old 2/27/07, 05:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks.
All the kits came in today Marcello, thank you.
I hope to find the time to paint my own set here soon, but will start doing the ordered colors this week.
Expect another order here very soon.
All look great
Jay
Old 2/28/07, 05:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Hey Marcello , any update on the painted ones ? I assume they'll go out alphabetically , with Screaming Yellow first ...
Old 2/28/07, 05:27 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Still no call, hope the Vista Blues come out alright.
Old 2/28/07, 06:03 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No call here either, still waiting. Since these are in production status, how much longer? 1 Month, 2 Month's?
Old 2/28/07, 06:37 PM
V6 Member

I dropped mine off at the painter today. He said I could pick them up tomorrow on my lunch break!! WOOHOO, guess what I'm doing this weekend?!? Maybe I'll be the first to post a black with gloss black finished louvers.
Old 2/28/07, 07:49 PM
GT Member

What did you pay for painting?
Old 3/1/07, 07:52 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by praztek
What did you pay for painting?
$80... I did have them masked off when I took it to them.
Old 3/1/07, 07:06 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Guys - sent everyone an email today that was on the pre-order newsletter. We're having masking issues that need to be resolved, so painting is taking longer than expected. We're working the problem and will get them out ASAP, but I wanted everyone to know we were a bit behind.

On the painting, yes, the actual painting is cheap - it's the masking time that is hurting things (labor). We're trying to do them wet, floating them into place, and then letting them dry before painting. The latest masks we just removed .050" from each edge to help the corner bleed issue that is all too easy to get if you're not careful with the masking portion, especially considering there are 18 opportunities minimum for it on each piece....also looks like we're going to commit one of our employees to the masking process to help get through the initial pre-orders, then we'll see if demand warrants them staying on this job or going back to their other stuff.

More as it comes, glad to see the forum is back up.
Old 3/2/07, 05:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks update Marcello ...
Old 3/2/07, 11:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I guess I should have gotten in on the pre-sale. But, I really wanted to see them painted and on a car. Looks great. I'm looking a an 86 coupe right now. If I don't buy it I will be getting them. Can't wait to see Redfire.
Old 3/2/07, 11:43 AM
GT Member

Seeing how both the masking and painting is holding up the process for shipping. Is there a chance of getting ones sent out masked and not painted? Or once masked will the painting be quick?

Thanks
Old 3/2/07, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Eleanor Dreaming
Well, I guess I should have gotten in on the pre-sale. But, I really wanted to see them painted and on a car. Looks great. I'm looking a an 86 coupe right now. If I don't buy it I will be getting them. Can't wait to see Redfire.
There is already a pictures of redfire posted. Go back a couple pages. You will see it
Old 3/2/07, 01:46 PM
Bullitt Member

It's actually on page 41 I believe
Old 3/2/07, 02:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I hope to paint my Redfires here this weekend. I'll post pics when done.

Jay
Old 3/2/07, 06:59 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by praztek
Seeing how both the masking and painting is holding up the process for shipping. Is there a chance of getting ones sent out masked and not painted? Or once masked will the painting be quick?

Thanks
No, once they are masked, then it goes quick. Supposedly the new assistant starts Monday, Job 1 being masking the louvers with the new masks we have made up. If they show up for the first day, then we should be underway. I'll keep everyone posted as we get rolling through the issues... meantime we're getting ready for the FFW show this weekend in Orlando - so long as the weather holds it should be fun.
Old 3/2/07, 07:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
No, once they are masked, then it goes quick. Supposedly the new assistant starts Monday, Job 1 being masking the louvers with the new masks we have made up. If they show up for the first day, then we should be underway. I'll keep everyone posted as we get rolling through the issues... meantime we're getting ready for the FFW show this weekend in Orlando - so long as the weather holds it should be fun.
Marcello - you have a PM...
Old 3/3/07, 07:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Marcello, I feel your pain. I was planning on masking these with Blue Painters tape, to save some prep time for my painter, but I didn't realize how complex those shapes are to mask off. I though, maybe 30 minutes to do the louvers...boy was I wrong, lol! Marcello, any chance of selling the maskings you have coming in? I am assuming they are precut? If you have any tips for making the masking easier, I'd love the help.
Old 3/3/07, 09:25 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Marcello, I feel your pain. I was planning on masking these with Blue Painters tape, to save some prep time for my painter, but I didn't realize how complex those shapes are to mask off. I though, maybe 30 minutes to do the louvers...boy was I wrong, lol! Marcello, any chance of selling the maskings you have coming in? I am assuming they are precut? If you have any tips for making the masking easier, I'd love the help.
Jeff,
I dont know what Marcello would say, but heres what I did to mask mine:

cut out cardstock 'templates'- took a couple hors to carefully trim them out- you only need one side (just flip over for other side- they seem to be identical)

stuck a layer of tape on the workbench, then stuck a layer over that- figured this wouldnt affect the adhesive when peeled up as it was stuck to tape before...

take marker and trace out the paper templates, flip over/repeat for other side) x-acto cut the tape, peel up/stick on (easier said than done...took a few tries on each).

I left about 1/8" paint over the outer edge to cover the dark 'thickness' line of the outer flat portion. the radius in the forward pocket, just gotta eyeball what looks best to you...the other cuts are 3 straight sides, and once the outer radius is made(do biggest first) that radius can be traced onto the other 4 as a decent start point- they seem to pretty much follow that curve).

like I said, dunno right or wrong, but that was how I got mine masked- took about 2~3 hours- about 95% longer than anticipated...it is a pretty complex part and I just couldnt figure any 'easy' way to do it...but man do they change the look of the car

anyone else that masked theres, please chime in- I need an easier way next time I paint something like this- any tips appreciated...it takes me many hours to paint my simple looking model heli canopies too, any easier way tips appreciated

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass