05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/07, 06:31 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking The Long Wait Is Over

MY louvers arrived today!!! They look AWESOME!! Great job Marcello! Can't wait to spray 'em and get them installed. They are gonna be sweet!!
Old 2/20/07, 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Online color-ordering and required tools also now available:

http://www.silverhorseracing.com/web...ategory_id=255
Earlier with the pre-orders you mention 2 paint options, full paint and having partial view louvers. Which one is the option on the website?
Old 2/20/07, 08:20 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Machine
and my supplies...

I mighta got a bit overkill... wound up with so much on the table I had to take a pic-used everything except the big gun...on such a small part the little touchup gun is handy, used syringes to accurately mix small amounts of paint...dunno why I even took the primer gun along...
in your other pic, masking the backside looks pretty easy to get at- how long did it take you to mask the outside windows the second time around? I think I had about two hours trimming little masks out and trying to get them where I wanted them...that was probably the most tedious part of the whole thing for me...

one comment on the tool to remove- the ones Silverhorse carries works very well , and the wire is a fairly smooth braided cable...I think the pipe cable saw is abrasive coated, would require extreme care around paint...the smooth cable still rubbed some of the black edge off the glass, but only some little specks right at the edge, would be nothing to touchup, if even noticeable... did the cablesaw scratch the glass edge?
Probably dont matter, as if youre as happy with these as I am, that glass aint ever going back in again, is it

note: the edges on my masks are really 'jagged looking', thats black marker line...I trimmed a pieced togeher mask for each window, traced that to a paper template, shaded over that with marker onto the tape and trimmed masks out, flipped over template paper and used again to mark other side...
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-masked.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-materials.jpg  
Old 2/20/07, 11:24 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dekujala
Earlier with the pre-orders you mention 2 paint options, full paint and having partial view louvers. Which one is the option on the website?
Only one person in almost 100 orders has asked for the "full paint" option where there is no visibility, so rather than muck up the website, and the system in place, with two versions of each paint, we're just going to do the one for production. If someone wants to do a "full blackout" paint, we can do that - they just have to call and speak with us, the website will not be setup to do this.

FWIW, the full paint is cheaper due to no masking required (less labor) but these parts are just beautiful with the visibility option.

I took a couple more pictures today of the redfire car we did, now that the interior is back in. I'll get them up maybe tomorrow evening - I'm very happy with the way they came out, and glad that everyone who has received them has been happy.

P.S. - So Mark - are we going to get you to pop out the windows again and go to the "louver side"? You know that the fit of the OEM window is all over the map from what we've seen - every car the glass is different, and from side to side it's normally different too. It's not the glass that is the variable, it's the sealer - pins or not.
Old 2/21/07, 05:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Hey Marcello , how are we doing on the painted ones ? When should we expect a call on them ...
Old 2/21/07, 11:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Marcello, my wife warned me that if I replaced the window the second time she wouldn't ride in the Stang...it's been 4 months and she has not been in the Stang...if I mess with the windows again, she'll divorce me!
(very sore subject with her)
Old 2/21/07, 11:40 AM
Bullitt Member

I still have not see any good interior pics.

Help a brother out!

Mark
Old 2/21/07, 02:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Safarisun
I still have not see any good interior pics.

Help a brother out!

Mark
Go back a page or two.
Old 2/21/07, 03:48 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm guessing that he wants a good interior pic showing how it blends with the interior, not just a shot showing the visibility out of the louver.
Old 2/21/07, 04:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Exactly!

I'd like to see a pic of the louver installed and the interior parts back in place. Just want to see how the inside of the louver blensd in with the surrounding interior pieces.

Mark
Old 2/21/07, 07:43 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Here you go... not 100% what you want, but the shots like that look weird since you have to intentionally throw the background out of focus to get the interior in-focus.

HTH...
Attached Images     
Old 2/21/07, 07:53 PM
Cobra R Member

All I can say is wow, those look unbelievable. You can see the dash vents, and steering wheel etc, just as clear as glass it looks like, and seems to blend well. I cant wait. Soon, Soon.
Old 2/22/07, 08:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ok, im basically sold that I am going to get these now, just waiting for someone who got the pre-painted to see how the color match is or if I should take them somewhere locally and have them match it. So one someone gets the pre-painted post up some pics
Old 2/22/07, 10:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

What's going on here??? I know Marcello has shipped hundereds of these by now yet there's only 2-3 people with pics so far.
Old 2/22/07, 10:46 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Everyone shifted from regular pre-order to pre-painted... so we have a new backup on our hands trying to get them through paint. There were a lot though that shipped last week and this week without paint, so I'm sure pictures will start popping up here and there as they get painted and installed...

Patience my friend, patience
Old 2/22/07, 11:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Marcello, LOVE THE LOUVERS! You got am amazing product that you should be VERY proud of. I can't wait to see people's reaction to them at this coming season of car shows!!! Carlisle is going to be sweet!! I got a question I was hoping you could help me with. What should I use to sand down the high marks from the mold lines around the edge? See the pics below to get an idea what I am describing. Someone at work told me to use some 320 or 400 grit paper and wet sand them lightly to get the high point level with the rest of the frame. Is this what you would recommend? I figured I could do this ahead of time before I give them to my painter to finish. Thanks for the help, and I can't wait to get these on my car!!
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-louvers1.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-louvers.jpg  
Old 2/22/07, 11:45 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Thanks! The high point is so that you can sand it down - if it was trimmed too low, you'd have to do fill work, which we try and avoid . That little lip there is how we avoid (partially) the ejector pins. 320 might be a bit too fine to start with, I might start with 180, and go to 320-400 just near the end prior to priming it. Wet sanding is nice, but I doubt it is neccessary for this spot.
Old 2/22/07, 11:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Thanks! The high point is so that you can sand it down - if it was trimmed too low, you'd have to do fill work, which we try and avoid . That little lip there is how we avoid (partially) the ejector pins. 320 might be a bit too fine to start with, I might start with 180, and go to 320-400 just near the end prior to priming it. Wet sanding is nice, but I doubt it is neccessary for this spot.
Marcello, as always, thanks for the help! Your customer service is THE BEST!!! I'll bring home some sandpaper from work, and start on these tonight.
Old 2/22/07, 12:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey Jeff,

I would reccomend that you wrap that sandpaper around a flat block. You want to make sure you keep that straight edge nice a level and not get any low spots.

Mark
Old 2/22/07, 01:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Safarisun
Hey Jeff,

I would reccomend that you wrap that sandpaper around a flat block. You want to make sure you keep that straight edge nice a level and not get any low spots.

Mark
Hey Mark, thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass