05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Center fog lights...

Search this Thread

Old 5/11/06, 09:48 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll have to give this a try on the weekend and keep my fingers crossed
Old 5/11/06, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AL1356
Okay, back off when grille starts getting shiney.
Will the lip just relax from the heat and go flat against the metal template or did you need to help it along with pressure?
Is it essential to cool quickly with ice water or can it air cool?
It will somewhat fall into place. And plastic like metal has a memory. It will try to go back to its molded shape.If you have ever "dented" a plastic bumper cover if you heat it in a boil tank it will come back 99% into its molded shape. The reason behind the Ice water is to make it "remember" the new shape you re-form it to.If allowed to air cool it will walk its way back to where it was. Plastic like metal will also "shrink" when cold is applied to it after being heated. The "shrinkage" helps to lock it into shape. Hope this helps......
Old 5/11/06, 09:55 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by BOTLEFEDPONY
It will somewhat fall into place. And plastic like metal has a memory. It will try to go back to its molded shape.If you have ever "dented" a plastic bumper cover if you heat it in a boil tank it will come back 99% into its molded shape. The reason behind the Ice water is to make it "remember" the new shape you re-form it to.If allowed to air cool it will walk its way back to where it was. Plastik like metal will also "shrink" when cold is applied to it after being heated. The "shrinkage" helps to lock it into shape. Hope this helps......
Your detail is much appreciated. I sure don't want to muck up this fix.
Thanks again. I'll post my results.
Old 5/11/06, 09:58 AM

Remember all. I have been doing body and fab work all my life. Everything sounds "easy" when you are reading it on the net. I have screwed up quite a few things in my life "learning" how to do these things. I am just saying that the grill "can" be made to fit pretty darn good. But this "fix" should not be used by every person. Just remember if it dosent fit right when it comes out of the box you have the option to return it...........Once you start heating and bending you are the Proud owner of said grill.........Just be careful and honest with yourself if you decide to try this. Once you start you bought it.................
Old 5/11/06, 10:08 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by BOTLEFEDPONY
Remember all. I have been doing body and fab work all my life. Everything sounds "easy" when you are reading it on the net. I have screwed up quite a few things in my life "learning" how to do these things. I am just saying that the grill "can" be made to fit pretty darn good. But this "fix" should not be used by every person. Just remember if it dosent fit right when it comes out of the box you have the option to return it...........Once you start heating and bending you are the Proud owner of said grill.........Just be careful and honest with yourself if you decide to try this. Once you start you bought it.................
Even with your warning, I am sure I can do this. It's worth a try at the very least.
Last questions:
In your experience is the torch more efficient than a heat gun would be?
Also...does the metal need to be the entire depth (front to back) of the bottom lip? I would guess so...
Old 5/11/06, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by AL1356
Even with your warning, I am sure I can do this. It's worth a try at the very least.
Last questions:
In your experience is the torch more efficient than a heat gun would be?
Also...does the metal need to be the entire depth (front to back) of the bottom lip? I would guess so...

The torch works better I think. Because you could "get in and out" quicker with the heat. The heat gun takes longer to get it to the glossy point.And the heat stays there longer. Kinda hard to explain but you honestly have more control with the propane torch. And you could do one side at a time. Does not need to be the whole area at one time.I would say you need to do at least one side at a time......( from fog light to outer edge) any smaller than that I think it will be VERY hard to get it flat.And you just want the metal to be an inch or so wide. clamp it flush with the front lip of the grill and then heat behind the metal strip. that should put you pretty much right inder the honeycomb area.
Old 5/11/06, 12:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In no way am I supporting the constant barrage of bashing the companies that are selling the center fog light grill but it seems to me after continually reading post after post of the work that must be done for one to have a finished product you are happy with is disappointing to say the least. I for one don't have enough experience to feel comfortable with possibly ruining something I just purchased. I just hope the issue with the Warping gets worked out before they ship more.
Old 5/11/06, 01:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well dammit I cancelled my order too Butch says 8-10 weeks for the new batch. Oh well.
Old 5/11/06, 01:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lets hope that the next batch looks better. If it does, i may order another one to replace this one.

Everyone at work who has seen it loves it. They do not even notice the warpage on the bottom until I point it out. One of them mentioned to me the reason that they did not notice it is because it is symetrical.

Old 5/11/06, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Great walk throguh....only problem is my grill came in and UPS had did its thing and snaped off two clips one on each side of the grill!!! I am not at work and wont be till tomorrow and the guy there had sighned for it not knowing to look first. UPS was going to br back at the office again sometime today and he was going to see if it was to late to refuse the package and send it back. I am going to sendbutch a email now. Ohh how this sucks hahahahaha. I dont even get to have a friken warped one.
Old 5/11/06, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by NOLAGT
Great walk throguh....only problem is my grill came in and UPS had did its thing and snaped off two clips one on each side of the grill!!! I am not at work and wont be till tomorrow and the guy there had sighned for it not knowing to look first. UPS was going to br back at the office again sometime today and he was going to see if it was to late to refuse the package and send it back. I am going to sendbutch a email now. Ohh how this sucks hahahahaha. I dont even get to have a friken warped one.
That does suck. I hope mine isn't molested...
Old 5/11/06, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by MTAS
Well dammit I cancelled my order too Butch says 8-10 weeks for the new batch. Oh well.
I've heard that 3D Carbon has one coming out in June. Don't know how much or any details....
Old 5/11/06, 04:41 PM
Bullitt Member

I just got the grill. UPS dumped it on my front steps and split. The box got pretty bruised (I took pictures just in case - before I opened it). Sure enough - two retaining tabs on one side were broken. One all the way off and the other cracked about 90% through. I took pictures of that also..

I sent an email to Butch. We'll see what he says..

BTW - the warpage is on either side of the lights and also to a much lesser degree, between them.

I was really hoping to be able to have this grill in place when I show the car in a couple weeks at the All-Ford show.
Old 5/11/06, 04:42 PM
Bullitt Member

BTW - there were no reinforcements in this box. Just a grill in a single layer of bubble-wrap in a chinese cardboard box..
Old 5/11/06, 05:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Just got off the phone with Butch...

Sounds like a GREAT guy to deal with and ready to do what he can to please his customers.

I'll be contacting UPS first to file a claim to see if they will cover the damages. While I am just a fabricator - My son is a body man and does plastic welding. I'll see if he thinks he can repair it...

Edit - He thinks he can. He will make a new tab and plastic weld it in place.
Old 5/11/06, 05:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by NOLAGT
Welcome to the land of UPS shipping. I think I was the first to deal with UPS and there rotten customer service. Thankfully Butch has been really great in dealing with the damage so hopefully I can go pick the replacement grill up next week in NJ.

Another question. Has anyone been able to find out how to get the foglight wires to extend and reach with these new grills? Does the street scene extension work?
Attached Thumbnails Center fog lights...-d1-760-x-507-.jpg   Center fog lights...-d2-760-x-507-.jpg   Center fog lights...-d3-760-x-507-.jpg  
Old 5/11/06, 07:00 PM

Got Grill... Not good.

Well I got mine.... Not good. I just sent Butch an Email.... I almost feel sorry for him. He didn't make the grill but, he has to deal with all the crap now.

More than warpage. On the right side, both tabs are broke and bent back. On the left side, the upper tab is completely missing. What's odd is the missing tab is not laying loose in the box. That leaves me to believe that the damage happened prior to shipping.

On a side note. The warpage wasn't that bad and would have been easy to fix. Damm third world labor....

Here's some pics...
Old 5/11/06, 07:01 PM

pass

passenger side...
Old 5/11/06, 07:03 PM

How about the pic...
Old 5/11/06, 07:05 PM

the box...

The box....