GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MGW Shifter Feedback Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 4/4/07, 12:27 AM
eci
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MGW Shifter Feedback Thread!

The older thread is full of speculation, questions, etc... so I thought this would be a good thread for people who OWN the shifter and HAVE IT INSTALLED to post their comments.

I received one of the 1st shifters as I ordered it on the group buy with 2nd day air shipping. I am going to make this brief for now:

CUSTOMER SERVICE:

George's staff is unreal. It's a small amount of money, they can't hardly make anything off each sale of these, but his staff are very nice and respectful and make you feel like a "good customer".

SHIPPING:

Shipped when promised and arrived on time.

PACKAGING:

The shifter and associated components were packed in newspaper and bubble wrap. Every item was well protected and although I had the usual beat up UPS box, no components were damaged.

INSTRUCTIONS:

The instructions were all text, as this is the 1st "beta test" shipment. They were easy to follow even without pictures. Other than some typos and a mis-ordered step, they are perfect. MAKE SURE you install the dust boot AROUND the base of the shifter, before installing the sound plate foam. The instructions even warn you of critical errors you can make such as cross threading the tranny support arm bolt. Another thing you need to pay CLOSE attention to is the stock shifter boot. Be careful when you first align the attachment bracket that connects the shift handle to the shift lever. Check for boot contact to the center console/boot perimeter closely or else you may rip the boot. It can happen on the forward driver side of the bracket, where the allen bolt is. I have the 2007 Premier Trim Package so my boot might be slightly less tolerant than the other boot found on all 05/06 and non PTP 07's.

QUALITY:

This shifter seems fit for an Enzo Ferrari. I can't believe how over-engineered the unit is, and that's a GOOD thing. The stock shifter is an absolute joke next to this. Everything lined up and bolted to the stock locations without any effort. The tolerances are perfect. The inclusion of the sound deadening materials is first class. There is NO added NVH WHATSOEVER! In fact, it's quieter than the stock arrangement!

FEATURES:

I love the adjustable throw. I played around a bit and used 9, then 11, then 8 turns. I am not settled yet! It is very easy to adjust if you don't mind driving up some ramps and getting underneath the car. Remove a 13mm nut, adjust the bolt, replace the nut, and test. I also like the fact that you can adjust the **** height. I went with the lowest.

FEEL:

Definitely a massive improvement. I have done 2nd to 3rd tests over and over and the shifter engages 3rd immediately with no effort at 6,000 RPM in 2nd. The car feels so much more "positive" now. No rattling, no vibrations, just smooth positive engagement of each gear. Pretty amazing as I really disliked the remote shifter design Ford went with on this car. The MGW cleans it up as best as possible.
Old 4/4/07, 10:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I really dont need to add anything, you took the words right out of my mouth!

Am I the 3rd person to install? maybe 4th?
Old 4/4/07, 10:50 AM
MGW
Former Vendor

thanks for the feedback guys. keep it coming .

so far i have the following changes going into effect...

1. get the instructions fixed to put the upper dust boot on BEFORE the sound plate.

2. try to bevel the black handle a bit on the top side to clear more of the boot and maybe shorten the black lock nuts on the driver's side so they do not rub.

regards
george
Old 4/4/07, 11:05 AM
eci
Banned

george, I can't see any reason why it would matter if I turn the bracket upside down. You think that would be fine? Would help my boot problem I think.
Old 4/4/07, 11:27 AM
MGW
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by eci
george, I can't see any reason why it would matter if I turn the bracket upside down. You think that would be fine? Would help my boot problem I think.

it makes absolutley no difference. i just figured there was more room to use the allen wrench on the passenger side but if this works better i may just flip the logo on the handle.

george
Old 4/4/07, 04:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with all of the above....This thing ROCKS!!!!

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_2987622/tm.htm

George, the only very minor thing I noticed was, the slots on the shift
stops were a bit sluggish. Upon investigation, it looked like they were not
slotted smoothly all the way down, but almost appeared that they had been drilled top and bottom, and just not smoothed out.....Really a very minor thing......Check my pics and write up on this link.....

Thanks George, well worth the wait!!!!

Mike
Old 4/4/07, 04:55 PM
MGW
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Got Oatz
I agree with all of the above....This thing ROCKS!!!!

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_2987622/tm.htm

George, the only very minor thing I noticed was, the slots on the shift
stops were a bit sluggish. Upon investigation, it looked like they were not
slotted smoothly all the way down, but almost appeared that they had been drilled top and bottom, and just not smoothed out.....Really a very minor thing......Check my pics and write up on this link.....

Thanks George, well worth the wait!!!!

Mike
yes there are some like this and i have fixed it. we actually water jet the stop plates and i had to tweak the quality rate on the jet to smooth it out.

also, i think i am going to actually make them narrower and put a channel in the top of the base cap because the plate can get crooked when trting to set the stops. you guys need to just make sure that you check ALL gears if you decide to use the stops. and make sure they are not too close or BUZZZZZ city!!!!

regards
george

p.s. mike, great thread. you should be a writer.
Old 4/4/07, 05:48 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My MGW install is complete; it only took about one and a half hours with no problems with the install. I set the throw to 6 turns then 8 turns and I'll play with it more as 8 feels notchy. I agree with most everything already said. I do have a little more noise but it just sounds like the exhaust is louder and not gear noise. Quality is first rate!!!!!!

Tips I want to add.

- Cleaned all areas of the transmission tunnel where Dynamat was to be installed with alcohol. Careful the underside of the tunnel has some very sharp burrs.

- I drove the back of the car up on ramps and jacked the front of the car up; this gave me plenty of room to work.

- A pair of Mechanix or similar gloves.

I have a few pictures below, the first is the completed shifter the other two are with the car up.
Attached Thumbnails MGW Shifter Feedback Thread!-mgw1.jpg   MGW Shifter Feedback Thread!-mgw2.jpg   MGW Shifter Feedback Thread!-mgw3.jpg  
Old 4/4/07, 09:25 PM

installed tonight. went great, no problems, love the shifter.
Old 4/4/07, 10:10 PM
eci
Banned

I flipped the bracket over ( the one that connects the shift handle to the shift lever ) and the extra clearance alleviated any boot rubbing issues. I was only having problems in 1st gear.

It'd be interesting to compare the PTP boot to the standard one. The plastic "satin aluminum" trim is the problem I think.
Old 4/5/07, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Install Video

Hey George,
When is the upgraded video you talked about going to be available? You said you were going for some improvment of the lighting.
Old 4/5/07, 03:47 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I got mine in the mail today, it'll get installed this weekend. The quality of the parts is amazing, like others have said. Can't wait to get it installed!

NJ3, is that the Gripper **** on there? Does it sit that high off of the boot because you have the handle adjusted high, or is that what it's going to look like no matter what?
Old 4/5/07, 04:06 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jayguy
I got mine in the mail today, it'll get installed this weekend. The quality of the parts is amazing, like others have said. Can't wait to get it installed!

NJ3, is that the Gripper **** on there? Does it sit that high off of the boot because you have the handle adjusted high, or is that what it's going to look like no matter what?
Yes it's the gripper **** with the 3/8 - 16 threaded insert, same as Hurst and some other aftermarket *****. The insert in my Gripper **** is different than the regular Gripper **** and you can get them for either the stock thread or for the optional shifter rod which I have installed in that picture. Look at Got Oatz's link above for pictures of the original style Gripper ****.

I did do some more adjusting today on mine. I set the shift rod all the way down and changed the throw to two turns. A lot less notchy and at 2 1/4" throw still plenty short. I chirped third gear my first time out with this setting.
Old 4/5/07, 05:04 PM

NJ3, I didn't even notice Got Oatz had the gripper **** on his.

I've got the gripper on my stock shifter, and like how low the **** is now. I'll just have to play with the adjustments on the MGW setup once I get it installed.
Old 4/6/07, 08:20 AM
MGW
Former Vendor

update guys,

i have had one person call and has a small issue. his wife drives his car and she finds the left to right springs a bit too heavy for daily driving.

i would like to get some feedback on this specific issue please.

i personally like the heavy spring to get it over to third fast and also to pop back to 4th from 5th so easily but i can see how it could be a bit extreme for long traffic hauls.

what do you guys think. i have already bought some weaker springs to sent this person but i am wondering if i should just set all the shifters with weaker springs or just send out the weaker springs if someone has issue with the current setup?

please give me your thoughts on this.

regards
george
Old 4/6/07, 08:46 AM
Bullitt Member

George --

I am installing mine this weekend. IF the springs need to be changed, can the springs be changed from the top without removing the entire shifter from the car?
Old 4/6/07, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MGW
update guys,

i have had one person call and has a small issue. his wife drives his car and she finds the left to right springs a bit too heavy for daily driving.

i personally like the heavy spring to get it over to third fast and also to pop back to 4th from 5th so easily but i can see how it could be a bit extreme for long traffic hauls.

what do you guys think. i have already bought some weaker springs to sent this person but i am wondering if i should just set all the shifters with weaker springs or just send out the weaker springs if someone has issue with the current setup?

regards
george
I don't have an MGW shifter, yet, but I'd say keep the stiffer springs and maybe mention that lighter springs are available upon request in your advertisments/parts listings or while taking orders.
Old 4/6/07, 09:26 AM
MGW
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Tispco
George --

I am installing mine this weekend. IF the springs need to be changed, can the springs be changed from the top without removing the entire shifter from the car?

yes they can be changed out in about 5 minutres from the driver's seat.

regards
george
Old 4/6/07, 09:30 AM

Mine isn't installed yet either, but I'd vote for what mot250 said, keep the stiffer springs in, but offer the lighter ones as an option.
Old 4/6/07, 09:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MGW
update guys,

regards
george
George,
This is very interesting. I have followed this issue with the other user, on the other board, and thought about it over the last two days since I installed....
I know that I, along with one of the other early installers, both commented in jest about missing second gear the first time we drove with this shifter. At the same time, we both commented how "mindless" it now is to hit third. I personally attribute both of these points to the heavy centering springs. Prior to this shifter, the first to second shift had next to no pressure when passing the neutral gate, due to the weak factory centering springs. Obviously, this is no longer the case. That being said, the question becomes, which is your preference? Yes, I can see where a daily driver, with long commutes, may become arm weary due to the heavy spring.......But at the end of the day, I believe the purpose of the shifter is being served with the current springs.....In the heat of battle, as it were..... I would rather have to remember to keep pressure off the gate pulling from first to second gear, rather than having to worry about the "shot in the dark" throw from second to third, which is now accomplished without thought.
Personally, I am going to play around with pivoting the handle to the right a bit, to allow for a bit more leverage toward the driver. I may also toy with adjusting the height a bit, for the same reason. (I am still running with the shifter at the shortest possible throw....)
If you have the ability to offer "daily driver" springs, without too much impact on the manufacturing process, I believe this is just one more selling point adding to the total adjustability of this shifter....Would I change mine out????? No way!!

Mike

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter Feedback Thread!