GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MGW Shifter Feedback Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11/14/08, 10:15 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Anthony k
what i "know". a engineering degree means that i "know".

break in is a "wear" term. things "break in" when friction causes "wear" and the object/s lose material causing greater/larger clearances.

items/parts "weaken" lose tension, by repeated use or OVER extension or compression. NOT buy wear, loss of material. clearances are NOT greater.

so before you attempt to tell me what i think. maybe you should know a little bit about what your talking about. K????
too bad the engineering degree didn't give you common sense to understand exactly what he meant.
Old 11/14/08, 10:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't you engineer your own shifter.
Old 11/14/08, 11:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Can somebody please tell me how high the shifter handle can be adjusted? I like longer handles for easy shifting on the track.
Old 11/14/08, 12:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Not any higher than flush with the bottom of the block.
Old 11/14/08, 12:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
I say I break in my new shoes. They feel better after a few days of wearing.
I dont say I weaken my new shoes. As mentioned, semantics. This "aint" Engrish class.
and you only own one pair of shoes? what do you do with your shoes? wear them? and when you no longer wear your shoes......are they "broke out?" or "worn out" worn past tense of "wear"
Old 11/14/08, 12:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Oh crap...An English Engineer.
Old 11/14/08, 12:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Knight
too bad the engineering degree didn't give you common sense to understand exactly what he meant.
Batman to the rescue!!! go read some comic books. how are things in gotham? are you 12? maybe when you grow up and leave the superheros behind you, you too can attain a degree. until then...... play with your super friends

Originally Posted by Phorty
Why don't you engineer your own shifter.
well it business, this might be slightly over your head. but it takes a manufacturing facility to produce parts. and that takes money, buy the machines, produce a part, test and durability test the product, stress test it. manufacture the part. advertise the part. pay employees. i could go on, but i would hope you can see the point.

did i bash the shifter, manufacture, design? in such a way that you would suggest that i engineer my own? or was that the best come back you could come up with? since it had very little to do with the subject of my posts?

its a very very well made part. no cutter marks, no step-overs visible, no chatter marks. well designed and engineered
Old 11/14/08, 12:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by scramblr
Oh crap...An English Engineer.
education isnt a crime
Old 11/14/08, 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Pwny
Can somebody please tell me how high the shifter handle can be adjusted? I like longer handles for easy shifting on the track.
i have mine as high as it will go. from the plastic console to the top of the **** is 5 1/2". i have the white ball. not the factory ****
Old 11/14/08, 12:35 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Batman to the rescue!!! go read some comic books. how are things in gotham? are you 12? maybe when you grow up and leave the superheros behind you, you too can attain a degree. until then...... play with your super friends
Oh no Captain Obvious, no one here knew i liked Batman but you just gave away the house.
Old 11/14/08, 12:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Knight
Oh no Captain Obvious, no one here knew i liked Batman but you just gave away the house.

"like"??

thats the best comeback you could come up with?

i think they know......and i think they also think thats its pathetic
Old 11/14/08, 12:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Anthony, let it go.
Old 11/14/08, 12:58 PM
Needs to be more Astony

"like"??

thats the best comeback you could come up with?

i think they know......and i think they also think thats its pathetic
Comeback? I was making a joke.

If you want to actually get help on the board i would suggest you stop acting being so arguementive and actually respect the fact that people were trying to help you up until the point you tried turning their words around when you can clearly understand what they were trying to say to you.
Old 11/14/08, 03:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Pwny
You can make it quite a bit higher than the factory. I actually like it pretty low and it was a challenge to get it down there. The bottom of the shaft on mine is going in the rubber boot at the base. It does shift much easier when higher though.
Old 11/14/08, 03:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Lowest and shortest for me, love it, no problems. I do not have the weaker springs in mine, all the original parts from the beta group buy. I think I have a box of bushings they sent out that were an update, but I like it the way it is.
Old 11/15/08, 11:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

If anybody has some pics of the shifter as high as it can go, that would be sweet.
Old 11/16/08, 07:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

AnthonyK, why don't you try about 7-8 turns out on the throw adjustment and just let the shifter work a few weeks? It will improve. Most of this notchy feel is the transmission itself which is a notchy shifting tranny from the get go. At 7-8 turns you will still have a shorter throw, but as you already can see, there's not a thing in this design which would cause a shift to bind on you as it's a smooth, precision made basic operating shifter with no parts at all to cause a notchy feel. The only thing that would cause it to feel notchier would be less leverage do to the shorter throw or **** height.

Easy, we're all friends here
Old 11/22/08, 09:33 AM

Guys,

I'm a newb so take it easy me. Have a 08' GT, CAI, tune, cat back, soon adding 3.73 gear and other suspension and engine mods. This is 3rd car and usage is mostly weekends and occasional commute. Looking to do some amateur track day events and driving school mid 09 for fun. I have stock shifter and like it ok for around town.

Have read all you guys have posted r/e MGW shifter. It is undoubtedely the favorite. Question for me is to find the right short throw shifter for my car's use. I must also tell you that I will not be installing this as I am not that mechanically inclined. From what I can read, I love that this shifter can be adjusted however, I am not skilled enough nor have the tools to do any of this alone. Any install or modifications will have to be done by a mechanic, most likely Ford dealership as I do not know any other local shops that work on these type modifications. ( If you have arecommendations near Rock Hill, SC then great ).

So, is the MGW still the best for me or can you recommend any other non adjustable brand that might fit my usage? I like the stock height of OEM shifter and will use a factory threaded shift ****. Other thoughts have been the Pro 5.0, Steeda Sport, Steeda Triax. I have read other posts about these but think that the intended use of the car really drives how you want the shift to feel. I would like something quicker and more confident than stock but comfortable on the street. Any recommendations and thoughts are welcome.

Appreciate your feedback.

James
Old 11/22/08, 10:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Well the height of the shifter can be adjusted by you from the top with the MGW provided tool. No biggie there.
The shortness of the throw you would need to crawl under the car and adjust. It also is a simple feat once you get under the car. And of course let them know you want to accept the stock ****.
I have the stock ****, shortest height and shortest throw, I love it for daily driving, track driving, and 1/4 mile racing.
Old 8/30/18, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by 05HOTROD
OK, I just installed the new springs, and now this thing is a breeze to shift.
It was smooth before, but now it's just a little more relaxing to shift.

question here for the people that installed the weaker springs:
while in neutral moving the shifter side to side, do you get a clicking noise (kind of like theres something loose)? I didnt have it when the stronger springs were in.
I just want to make sure this is normal. It doesnt make the noise when you move the shifter slow side to side in neutral, it's when you shake it side to side in a fast motion in neutral. It doesnt affect the shifting in any way nor does it rattle while driving.
I checked to make sure everything was tight two times and everything was fine. drove it, and shifted it hard, no problems.
I'm thinking it's just the weaker springs not making it as tight....It's not a big deal and I don't want to seem like I'm nit picking but just want to make sure.
i also have this same noise... everything is fine, but the noise makes it seem like something is loose. Bothers me but if that’s how it’s supposed to be then that’s a different story