Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Uhhh, Let me take a crack at it...
When you're right, you're right.

Old 11/9/06, 08:20 AM
ski
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedRoush
I installed mine last week and it runs great. However, the metal brackets would not fit around the silicon sleeve so I couldn't tighten it down to the t-body. The brackets were too short. I had to go to Home Depot and buy a plumbing sleeve that came with two brackets that WERE long enough. Then, the maf harness came apart. A piece I guess came unglued and fell out in my hand. Fortunately, i was able to plug the double sided pin connectors back in with no problem but I am concerned that it's not "secure".
At least you'll have the advantage of knowing where to look first for the cause of the problem if your car leaves you stranded in the middle of nowhere. And it may be a good idea to keep your toolbox, stock intake, and stock MAF sensor packed in the trunk from now on(But I know that you've already thought of that).
Old 11/9/06, 08:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Uhhh, Let me take a crack at it... Here's why, mine went on easy, fit was perfect, performance is awesome, and it only cost around $300.00. Here's a couple questions... I see that a lot of people are complaining about their dash rattling, why would anyone but a Mustang...? My car doesn't have a truck release, why would anyone buy a Mustang...? I have problems fueling my car, why would anyone buy a Mustang...? My tata hurts, why would anyone buy a Mustang...? Answer, because it's a awesome car!

No doubt about the car. Only question is the CAI - it's the only one that has been mentioned with problems. At least in the short time I have been reading the forum.
Old 11/9/06, 08:23 AM
ski
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RKNMACH
No doubt about the car. Only question is the CAI - it's the only one that has been mentioned with problems. At least in the short time I have been reading the forum.
Suggest that you do another forum search.
Old 11/9/06, 11:26 AM
GT Member

My granatelli cai should be arriving anytime today according to ups tracking website! Will let you know if i have any issues with installation or performance.
Old 11/9/06, 12:16 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine has been flawless from the moment I installed it. And yes, I've owned a C&L in the past (on my '05). The GMS doesn't take care of everything that a custom tune would, but for for not having to re-program the computer (which means spending another $350-400 or more on the tuner + tune) the performance gains are very nice. When I want to plug in a tuner, I'll re-use my stock maf like Doug suggests and go from there.
Old 11/9/06, 01:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jayguy
Mine has been flawless from the moment I installed it. And yes, I've owned a C&L in the past (on my '05). The GMS doesn't take care of everything that a custom tune would, but for for not having to re-program the computer (which means spending another $350-400 or more on the tuner + tune) the performance gains are very nice. When I want to plug in a tuner, I'll re-use my stock maf like Doug suggests and go from there.

Couldn't have said this any better myself. This is what the GMS is all about.
Old 11/9/06, 01:53 PM
Bullitt Member

To each his own. My preference is to get a little more hp out of this sweet engine w/o tearing into it. The price of an SCT with a tune is a not very expensive when you consider we paid almost 30K for the car. No sense being timid with a Mustang, it's made for hotrodding - more bang for the buck. I don't spend my $$$ on glitter, that, thankfully is out of my system
Old 11/9/06, 02:03 PM

My experience

I thought I would put in my own experience w/ the GMS intake. I've had it installed for about 2 months and have had no problems at all. I really like the performance enhancement and the growl the engine now has. In the near future my intention is to invest in a programmer/tune and am very interested in what Doug comes up with as well as feedback regarding the GMS unit.
Old 11/9/06, 03:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by ski
Suggest that you do another forum search.
+1

Go back oh, about 24 months. Nuts for MAF sensor screws pulling out, occassional filter falling off, no heat shield.
Old 11/9/06, 04:53 PM

Well just got through with the install. Took me forever to get everything lined up. I had to take the trim around the heat shield where the elbow goes thru off or the filter would not stay on. The post with the grommett on it did not line up very well on the bottom of the metal heat shield. Started the car and it ran for about three seconds and died. Tried twice more and still died. It is probably the same problem as previously mentioned in this thread. The harness. I guess I'll call GMS tommorrow. I'm still sticking with them. Hope I can get the problem fixed.
Old 11/9/06, 05:22 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stangmania
Well just got through with the install. Took me forever to get everything lined up. I had to take the trim around the heat shield where the elbow goes thru off or the filter would not stay on. The post with the grommett on it did not line up very well on the bottom of the metal heat shield. Started the car and it ran for about three seconds and died. Tried twice more and still died. It is probably the same problem as previously mentioned in this thread. The harness. I guess I'll call GMS tommorrow. I'm still sticking with them. Hope I can get the problem fixed.
Man, I'm REALLY sorry to hear "that". I am a big fan of the product because of my positive personal experience, but "this" seems to be happening with more frequency. JR., What's up with this... you're making us all look bad?
Old 11/9/06, 05:35 PM

Just got off the phone with GMS. I have a bad harness as expected. They are going to send me one out after I send the bad one back. They were very helpfull. I was upset but I'll get over it. Especially since I was able to see it installed. You want to talk about dress up an engine bay. The polished looks great. I have seen the satin and the black plastic tubes installed and in my opinion there are no comparisons.
Old 11/9/06, 06:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Installed my CAI recently, love it!!!!!! I too had problems lining it up, the grommet and fender hole do not line up. Morgan ask I send pictures (which I did). He said hadn't heard of this problem before. So, please tell them if you have this issue. My experience with GMS has been great.they are great to deal with.
Old 11/9/06, 06:16 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by stangmania
Just got off the phone with GMS. I have a bad harness as expected. They are going to send me one out after I send the bad one back. They were very helpfull. I was upset but I'll get over it. Especially since I was able to see it installed. You want to talk about dress up an engine bay. The polished looks great. I have seen the satin and the black plastic tubes installed and in my opinion there are no comparisons.
You would think they could send one out ASAP and wait for the bad one.
They have wasted some of your time, thay should make up for it IMO. I mean, don't you have to take the whole d@#n thing off and put on the stock box if you want to go anywhere?
Old 11/9/06, 06:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by ski
At least you'll have the advantage of knowing where to look first for the cause of the problem if your car leaves you stranded in the middle of nowhere. And it may be a good idea to keep your toolbox, stock intake, and stock MAF sensor packed in the trunk from now on(But I know that you've already thought of that).
Uh...actually it'll just trigger the engine protection (limp-home) mode. And worse comes to worse, just take the jumper harness out and plug directly into to the MAF. You'll get the check engine light and your car may not run as efficiently as possible, but you'll still get home without a problem.
Old 11/9/06, 06:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by karman
You would think they could send one out ASAP and wait for the bad one.
They have wasted some of your time, thay should make up for it IMO. I mean, don't you have to take the whole d@#n thing off and put on the stock box if you want to go anywhere?
I guess it depends who you talk to. They sent the new one out the same day i called and I don't even have to send the old one in. I just told them what I did to troubleshoot and they told me they'd send a new one out.
Old 11/9/06, 06:45 PM

Yea I had to put the stock box back on. I was hoping they would send the new one out, but they said they needed the bad one back. They said they could repair the bad one later on. They told me they have had a few problems with the harnesses lately. I have been in manufacturing and I know there are sometimes problems. I have read where people have asked why people are still buying GMS even with the problems. Well we are still buying Fords, Chevys, and Dodges even after thousands of recalls. Sometimes things happen. When I become upset is when you do have a problem and customer service does not step up and take care of it. GMS seemed real concerned. I will let yall (Texas word for you all )know how it turns out.
Old 11/9/06, 08:02 PM
GT Member

Just installed my Granatelli CAI Also!!!!

Same issues with installation plus my hose clamps for the sleeve were too small and had to go to a local parts store to get bigger ones. Finally got it on and started it up and just like prior response mine ran for 3 seconds and then died. Was really dissapointed!! Almost $400 for it and 2week waiting list and when i get it and install it, it wont even run!!! I'm suppose to go to st louis this weekend for the dyno day with Doug from bamachips and wanted to have this on for the trip up. But i guess i can still take it since we will be putting the stock maf back in it with one of Doug's Custom tunes. But still upset with granatelli sending out the bad harness's.
Old 11/9/06, 08:32 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,790 Posts
I would just like to add for those of you who are satisfied with the GMS CAI ? I couldn't be happier for you and whether you choose to believe this or not ? my intention was never to knock the product itself nor imply that It didn't work. My concern is this ? whenever I ask questions about a particular product that I'm interested in purchasing ? IMO as a consumer it's the dealer's obligation to fully explain in complete detail in this case (technical detail) in how the product works and from my standpoint ? I wouldn't have this huge cloud of doubt hanging over my head if JR had been willing to answer my technical questions concerning how his product works in a consistent, accurate and easy to understand format ? as Doug has..but when all you end up with are questions answered with even more questions on top of them ? of course your going to have doubts and if he was that concerned about his competition discovering his technology ? he could have just requested to be contacted through e-mail or by telephone instead of sending all these mixed signals via submitting misleading and inaccurate info..It got to the point where after he acknowledged his MAF electronics didn't alter the timing and spark curves as it relates to timing ? and just when I thought I finally began to understand his concepts ? he then does this complete 360 degree turnaround by claiming it does alter timing..Then he wonders why people such as myself are confused ? think about it..It's just as Silver Horse Racing stated ? the consumer has every right to fully and completely understand the concepts of the product in which the consumer is interested in purchasing..

Quick Reply: Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???