GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???

Search this Thread

Old 11/6/06, 08:46 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think it's for the hole in the shield, I will run out and look at mine to see where it went.
Old 11/6/06, 08:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I opened the box there was a rubber seal on the hole of the heat shield. That was on there when it came out of the box. But the hose he is showing doesn't even look like it was split to go onto the heat shield. I would check with the GMS guys. I am confused now.
Old 11/6/06, 09:03 PM

I've got the plastic shield, and no second rubber hose. Only hose I got was the one from the intake to the passenger side valve cover, to replace the stock hard line.
Old 11/6/06, 09:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Jay,
Do you have the metal heat shield or the plastic one? Mine is the metal one and maybe that is why they put the hose on the hole. I am thinking that the plastic ones did not have it? I only had the one hose as well.
Old 11/6/06, 09:54 PM

I've got the plastic.
Old 11/6/06, 09:58 PM
V6 Member

I installed mine yesterday. Easy install, fit is good if you leave it a little loose and then tighten at the end when you get everything lined up. Kit was complete with metal box, CAI, silicon sleeve and clamps, air filter, hose and jumper.

Unfortunately, mine only started briefly, then sputtered and idle went to zero and died. Tried starting several times with same result. Tried disconnecting battery again and reconnecting but same result. Reinstalled factory intake and car runs fine. Must be bad MAS or the Harness.

Talked with someone from customer support and they are having me send the MAS and Harness back to them to look at. Hopefully, this won't take too long. I'll keep you posted.
Old 11/6/06, 10:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
I've got the metal heat shield with no lining on the cut-out. The second hose isn't cut at all and the wrong length like I said before.

rnail-
Are they paying for the shipping to send their defective unit back?
Old 11/6/06, 10:27 PM
V6 Member

I don't know about the shipping. I talked on the phone with a Mary Ann who wanted me to send the electronics to them. She did not offer to pay. I have limited time in the day to deal with this, so I could not look into it any further. She suggested that it would take 3-5 days for me to ship, another week for someone to look at it, 3-5 more days for reshipping.

I have sent an email message to JR and Morgan at Granatelli to see what specifically they want me to do because honestly this does suck.

I don't want to get too upset and I believe in the Granatelli name, but the whole reason I went with this solution is because it did not mess with the motor or tune and it seemed "robust". The last thing I want is a car I cannot depend on. I'm really not into modifying my vehicle much, and if I cannot get it to work, I'll just return it. I would rather have a reliable car.
Old 11/7/06, 07:11 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJJOE
Jay,
Do you have the metal heat shield or the plastic one? Mine is the metal one and maybe that is why they put the hose on the hole. I am thinking that the plastic ones did not have it? I only had the one hose as well.
How did you get the metal shield?
Old 11/7/06, 07:38 AM
Bullitt Member

I believe all the new ones being shipped out have the metal shield now.

rnail: Did you get the metal heat shield or the plastic one? If it is the metal one, do you have a piece of rubber on the heat shield opening where the filter connects?
Old 11/7/06, 11:23 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Cavero
Houston, we have a problem. Got the CAI and installed it exactly per directions, and started up the car and noticed right away that the engine idled fast around 1k-1.1k RPM. Figured it was cold and the RPMs would come down. Then I start taking it down the parking lot and right around 20 mph....BAM! The car shuddered as limp-home mode was activated and the wrench lit up on my dash. So I stopped the car and restarted it and the wrench went away only to activate the next time i hit about 20. I kept driving anyway to see if it would go out but soon afterward the check engine light came on. I unplugged the negative battery cable before the install and tried yanking the power again after the check engine light came on with no change. The wrench still lights up at about 15-20 MPH, or about 40 seconds of driving. Any ideas what's going on? Defective MAF?
It sounds like the calibration harness is installed backwards - either way we will help you - have you been serviced yet
Old 11/7/06, 01:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Granatelli
It sounds like the calibration harness is installed backwards - either way we will help you - have you been serviced yet
Hmmmm.... the billet piece and pin connectors did pull out or the harness the first time i uninstalled the CAI. I'll try switching them to the other end and see what happens. I sent an email to tech support, but no response back yet. Is that second tube for lining the cut-out in the heat shield?
Old 11/7/06, 02:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

-Update-
Switched the direction of the jumper harness with no change in symptoms. I now have reason to believe the jumper is bad because with the sensor completely unplugged it does the EXACT same thing. Also, when the jumper is left out and the sensor in the CAI is directly plugged in, the check engine light stays on, but the engine protection mode doesn't activate. I also cut that small tube to line the heat shield.
Old 11/7/06, 06:24 PM
V6 Member

Metal heat shield. Had a cut piece of rubber tubing protecting the inside cut edge of the CAI hole. Fit was actually good once I jimmied a little and then tightened down.

I haven't had time to deal with the other issues. I'll keep you updated.
Old 11/8/06, 02:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

-Another Update-
Got off the phone with Granatelli a couple minutes ago, from the symptoms they agreed it was a bad harness. Good news is, they're sending out a new one today free of charge! Hopefully it'll be here by the end of this week, maybe early next week.
Old 11/8/06, 03:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
-Another Update-
Got off the phone with Granatelli a couple minutes ago, from the symptoms they agreed it was a bad harness. Good news is, they're sending out a new one today free of charge! Hopefully it'll be here by the end of this week, maybe early next week.
as it should be
Old 11/8/06, 04:24 PM

Just received my polished GMS/CAI. Looks great except for a little pitting in the finish. Can't wait to install. It will probably be Saturday before I have time. Mine came with the metal shield and there is a small piece of rubber hose that has been cut and lines the hole in the shield.

This forum is great and I have learned alot. This will be the first of many mods.
Old 11/8/06, 11:00 PM

I installed mine last week and it runs great. However, the metal brackets would not fit around the silicon sleeve so I couldn't tighten it down to the t-body. The brackets were too short. I had to go to Home Depot and buy a plumbing sleeve that came with two brackets that WERE long enough. Then, the maf harness came apart. A piece I guess came unglued and fell out in my hand. Fortunately, i was able to plug the double sided pin connectors back in with no problem but I am concerned that it's not "secure".
Attached Thumbnails Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???-plumber.jpg  
Old 11/9/06, 07:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SpeedRoush
I installed mine last week and it runs great. However, the metal brackets would not fit around the silicon sleeve so I couldn't tighten it down to the t-body. The brackets were too short. I had to go to Home Depot and buy a plumbing sleeve that came with two brackets that WERE long enough. Then, the maf harness came apart. A piece I guess came unglued and fell out in my hand. Fortunately, i was able to plug the double sided pin connectors back in with no problem but I am concerned that it's not "secure".

Why would anyone continue to buy a system that comes with parts that don't fit and fall apart upon installation.
Old 11/9/06, 07:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RKNMACH
Why would anyone continue to buy a system that comes with parts that don't fit and fall apart upon installation.
Uhhh, Let me take a crack at it... Here's why, mine went on easy, fit was perfect, performance is awesome, and it only cost around $300.00. Here's a couple questions... I see that a lot of people are complaining about their dash rattling, why would anyone but a Mustang...? My car doesn't have a truck release, why would anyone buy a Mustang...? I have problems fueling my car, why would anyone buy a Mustang...? My tata hurts, why would anyone buy a Mustang...? Answer, because it's a awesome car!

Quick Reply: Granatelli Intake w/new MAF???