Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

The 'ask any detailing question' thread

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/13, 11:00 AM
Detailing Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CCTking
Marc im interested in what youve experienced with them. I guess id say id like to know whts goin on before i get deeper into car care
Originally Posted by Steven
I agree. Please send me a PM if you have the time Marc.

Also, still curious on the correct ratio of Simple Green to water for cleaning wax/polishing foam pads.

Well I'll try to give a more universal answer that isn't just focused at them.

The biggest problem in professional car care is misinformation. People and businesses intentionally and unintentionally mislead car owners in order to make money. They make promises they can't keep, they lie, they con, and it's all to make money off those owners.

For each one of us professionals and DIYer/enthusiasts who is doing things right, we seek to spread honest answers. That doesn't always mean we agree one all things 100%. An example is "what's your favorite wax/sealant?" There's no right answer to that question, and I feel that's great: it's wonderful we can have different opinions and discuss those opinions and how we formed them.
Personally, it's extremely important for me the spread the truth, because otherwise I can't justify my pricing and the time I spend on cars. If people think I'm not being honest, they won't trust me for advice let alone my services. I won't be recommended. In short: it would end my occupation.

For each lie told in the realm of professional detailing, honest detailers like myself are harmed in order for someone less than honest to make money. This means that each time lies or half-truths are being promoted I suffer. Others like me suffer.

When a company tries to market and sell you a pair of polishes they promise will work perfectly on your car, regardless of the clear-coat you have, it means one of two things.
1. They're right and it works. This also means Marc is an idiot for having over a dozen different polishes. If you only need these two, then why does Marc have so many? He must not be doing things right / know what he's doing.
2. They're being dishonest and these two products aren't universal. They might work well, or might not depending on what car you're using them on. Marc carries multiple polishes to cater to a variety of different clear-coat types so he's always able to get the exact results a client seeks.

To take things a step further, the company we're talking about owns this particular brand of polish. There's a reason they push 3-4 brands harder than all others regardless of what professionals or anyone else is using and getting awesome results with: profit margin. You'll also notice they don't talk about this being an in-house brand so you're left to think this is just a great product and because of how effective it is, they recommend it.

Another classic, and sadly, real example. On a BMW forum I won't name, a user posted a picture of a car foamed down in the same manner I use. Not only was this car foamed in the same manner I use, it was an actual picture from one of our write-ups/documentaries of a car we worked on. The car enthusiasts wanted to know how to achieve such a look, because the garden-hose attaching Gilmore foam gun he had didn't yield the same result. The answer is simple an easy: you have to use a foam cannon designed to attach to a pressure washer. The answer one of AG's top employees gave the enthusiast was quite different: "You have to use DP Extreme Foam."

Not only is this answer incorrect, it's not like we can just chalk this up to ignorance. The employee didn't say you have to use a shampoo designed to have a lot of suds, the employee said you have to use a certain shampoo; a shampoo they happen to make, brand, and sell.

What happens to the person that then goes out and buys this product, thinking it'll work (which it won't)? They try it, it doesn't work, they get discouraged. Now they ask me. I tell them a completely different answer. Am I also just trying to sell something? Do I have a back room deal as well?
My credibility takes a hit with each lie told to unsuspecting car enthusiasts.

That's the simple version. There's also other shady things. Maybe you already know North America's biggest detailing forum is Autopia.org and it's been a strong community for a long time.
Maybe you didn't know AG/PBM started a site a couple of years ago: Autopiaforums.com which uses the Autopia name to trick people. Though they're in a big legal battle over this currently, they're not idiots. AG doesn't advertise that this is an AG site. Not until you see the products promoted, talked about, or the products you're not allowed to discuss and talk about (ones they don't sell that belong to rivals), do you realize something fishy is going on.

This is all the tip of the iceberg, but I hope it does an adequate job of explaining why so many pro detailers seek to publish the truth: the truth helps us and proves we know what we're doing. Everything else is a distraction made to take your money, which also makes us look bad at the same time.
Old 5/2/13, 12:10 PM
GT Member

What's a good MF cleaner? I'm not 100% happy with what I've got now. Since I'm almost out I figured it'd be a good time to try something new.

Edit:

Also, I always see CG Black Light listed under a sealant, but when I look around people are saying it should be topped with ANOTHER sealant as it's not really a sealant. What's the truth?

Last edited by Steven; 5/2/13 at 12:11 PM.
Old 5/2/13, 12:42 PM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by Steven
What's a good MF cleaner? I'm not 100% happy with what I've got now. Since I'm almost out I figured it'd be a good time to try something new.

Edit:

Also, I always see CG Black Light listed under a sealant, but when I look around people are saying it should be topped with ANOTHER sealant as it's not really a sealant. What's the truth?
Use a hypoallergenic soap like Tide-free or something else that has no dyes or perfumes. There are also specific microfiber detergents which also work well.

To help things out, run an empty load of a little distilled white vinegar with hot water to help clean out your washer prior to doing a load of microfiber.

Blacklight looks to be a polymer based glaze. It's like a sealant but rather than having protection, it mainly is made to help conceal remaining defects while leaving the paint super slick and glossy. I guarantee this was influenced by an old product no longer sold that people used to LOVE: Danase Wet Glaze. Oddly enough, it was said DWG was made by Chemical Guys or at least their parent company: Warner Chemical.
Old 5/2/13, 12:47 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MarcHarris
Use a hypoallergenic soap like Tide-free or something else that has no dyes or perfumes. There are also specific microfiber detergents which also work well.

To help things out, run an empty load of a little distilled white vinegar with hot water to help clean out your washer prior to doing a load of microfiber.

Blacklight looks to be a polymer based glaze. It's like a sealant but rather than having protection, it mainly is made to help conceal remaining defects while leaving the paint super slick and glossy. I guarantee this was influenced by an old product no longer sold that people used to LOVE: Danase Wet Glaze. Oddly enough, it was said DWG was made by Chemical Guys or at least their parent company: Warner Chemical.
My towels seem to have light dirt stains in them. Would using an Oxy-Clean stains stick on them hurt them at all?
Old 5/2/13, 12:55 PM
Detailing Guru

I don't think so. You could always wash them twice to make sure none of the cleaners stick too much to the fabric.
Old 5/2/13, 02:55 PM

Thanks for enlightening us on your take of subjectivity and information. I am in the exercise and wellness field, and we have to deal with the same thing constantly.

I for one, greatly appreciate your objectivity. Each car is going to have a specific need based on environment, use, etc, just like the human body.

We try to battle misinformation with certifying agencies and bodies, but even they possess differing levels of credibility and what it takes to get certified.

The challenge for the consumer lies in differing what is good knowledge, and what is snake oil-how do they know that the NSCA requires a BAS to get a CSCS certification, vs a NASM CPT? Do they know the difference, and even if they could learn, how do they know that what they are learning is true, without spending a disproportional amount of time on exercise science?

Considering the amount of individuality attributed to each car, I am still kind of foggy on what is the right product set for my car.

I live in Phoenix, where it is sunny about 211 days of the year (on average), and 120 degree summers. I plan on daily driving my car almost 90% of the time (at least until I get my Scout going), where it will be outside and uncovered, except at night, where it will be stored in an underground garage.

Knowing what you know about the Mustang's clear coat, what should I be looking for in an ideal sealant? What about paste wax? Do you have any product recommendations regarding UV damage/clear coat damage? I understand the challenges associated with recommendations.

I already purchased Chemical Guys M-Seal, my concern being that perhaps my money could have been better spent on a product more appropriate for my needs. Still haven't purchased a paste wax, for the same reason. It's hard to make a choice with so many out there.

Last edited by Ellocomotive; 5/2/13 at 02:56 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 5/2/13, 04:17 PM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by Ellocomotive
Thanks for enlightening us on your take of subjectivity and information. I am in the exercise and wellness field, and we have to deal with the same thing constantly.

I for one, greatly appreciate your objectivity. Each car is going to have a specific need based on environment, use, etc, just like the human body.

We try to battle misinformation with certifying agencies and bodies, but even they possess differing levels of credibility and what it takes to get certified.

The challenge for the consumer lies in differing what is good knowledge, and what is snake oil-how do they know that the NSCA requires a BAS to get a CSCS certification, vs a NASM CPT? Do they know the difference, and even if they could learn, how do they know that what they are learning is true, without spending a disproportional amount of time on exercise science?

Considering the amount of individuality attributed to each car, I am still kind of foggy on what is the right product set for my car.

I live in Phoenix, where it is sunny about 211 days of the year (on average), and 120 degree summers. I plan on daily driving my car almost 90% of the time (at least until I get my Scout going), where it will be outside and uncovered, except at night, where it will be stored in an underground garage.

Knowing what you know about the Mustang's clear coat, what should I be looking for in an ideal sealant? What about paste wax? Do you have any product recommendations regarding UV damage/clear coat damage? I understand the challenges associated with recommendations.

I already purchased Chemical Guys M-Seal, my concern being that perhaps my money could have been better spent on a product more appropriate for my needs. Still haven't purchased a paste wax, for the same reason. It's hard to make a choice with so many out there.
It can be very tough indeed. Now add in there are no certifications for detailing. Any title you want to make up for yourself, you can.
Detailing Czar, Master Detailer, Elite Detailer, Paint Correction Master, etc etc.

It takes little money to get into, and anyone that cleans a car in any way can label themselves a "detailer."

The SE get's very hot, and you guys get a ton of sun. I'm currently in SE Florida where I finished up a vehicle for a client, and I've never seen so many vehicles with clear-coat failure.

Because your car is going to be kept outside, I recommend something slick and easy to use. You're better off with something easy to use that you use frequently than another product you don't like and therefore only use when you absolutely have to.

I've never used M-Seal, but it looks fine.

Carnauba wax stands no chance in the weather you're in, and it doesn't have UV ray inhibiting abilities. Carnauba trees produce this wax because it is extremely hard and resilient to environmental damage, not because it blocks UV rays. A carnauba will last 30-50 days MAX on your car in the given conditions. To purchase a carnauba wax let alone to use it would only be because you enjoy it and don't mind the low durability.
That being said, on my personal car I only use a carnauba wax because I enjoy it and I don't mind the durability. In fact, I use what I consider to be the least durable wax in my collection. My goal is to average less than 150 miles per waxing this year (first year with a garage over her head!).
Last note on carnauba: it tends to be better against acid-based damage and hard water in the short time it's protecting than sealants are.

In addition to using the M-Seal every other month to once every three months, consider adding in a spray sealant after every wash. OTC: Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax (black bottle with a yellow GT-R on the front). Online: Dodo Juice Red Mist Tropical Edition.
This will top up your protection while adding additional slickness. This means that your car will tend to stay cleaner a little longer while cleaning easier when you wash her.

If you're truly worried about UV rays, purchase a bottle of Optimum Car Wax and use it once a month or once every other month. It has some serious UV ray inhibitors than can migrate into your clear-coat above 70 degree temperatures.
Old 5/2/13, 07:23 PM
V6 Member

I agree with everything Marc has posted. Anyone that can wash a car can call themselves a "detailer". That and the large amount of "expert" opinions you get on forums really makes it tough for someone to get quality advice from someone with real experience.
Old 5/2/13, 10:14 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hwm3
I agree with everything Marc has posted. Anyone that can wash a car can call themselves a "detailer". That and the large amount of "expert" opinions you get on forums really makes it tough for someone to get quality advice from someone with real experience.
The amount of answers you can get for one question really does make things confusing. Personally i believe it just requires a but of trial and error u til you find the products that best support your needs to obtain that flawless finish
Old 5/3/13, 06:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jocatch
Thanks for the input. I looked in my garage to see what I bought last fall and never used. I found these:

1. Meguiars GoldClass Carnauba Plus
2. Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detalier
3. Aerospace Protectant 303

I am hoping what this stuff I sould have all I need although I am not sure what the detailer does.

JC
Well, yesterday I washed and waxed the car. The Meguiars wax went on and off very easily and looks good. I was really impressed with the Aerospcae 303, however. I used it on the stripes and it really made them shine nice. The 303 spray looks alot like Armorall but I am sure it is different stuff. Now I will see how long the stuff lasts.

JC

P.S. Can one use Aerospace on tires?
Old 5/3/13, 07:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Marc, I appreciate the info and discussion on the widely varying products and solutions for detailing.

Your post confirms what I suspected about certain online retailers and most certainly changes my approach to car care products.
Thank you for your help and willingness to spend time helping to educate our forum community!
Old 5/3/13, 07:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Right or wrong, I have used 303 on my tire sidewalls and like the look, I also use Zaino tire dressing which has a more subtle shine but lasts longer.
Old 5/3/13, 07:41 AM
GT Member

I like Meguiar's a lot, but I think they get a slight stigma from being sold OTC. "Hey, this must be better because I can only get it online from a specialty store". Maybe that's true, maybe it's not, but Meguiar's really does deliver for me, most of the time.

That being said, I've been using Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant. I like it, but I want to try something else. I'm looking at also breaking into Black Light. I'm in Chicago and this isn't necessarily a daily driver, but Tibby does get taken out in the winter months.

So here's my plan. Black Light followed by a sealant, probably Collinite in the winter months, something else in the Summer. I was thinking CG JetSeal in the summer, but I haven't heard anything good/bad about it. Opinions? I'll be topping my sealant off with some Blackfire Midnight Sun.

FYI, the main reason why the BFWD has disappointed me is that it comes out of the bottle like water. I find that hard to work with.

Edit: Also looking at Megs. ultimate liquid wax, if anybody has used that.

Last edited by Steven; 5/3/13 at 07:45 AM.
Old 5/3/13, 02:11 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by jocatch
Well, yesterday I washed and waxed the car. The Meguiars wax went on and off very easily and looks good. I was really impressed with the Aerospcae 303, however. I used it on the stripes and it really made them shine nice. The 303 spray looks alot like Armorall but I am sure it is different stuff. Now I will see how long the stuff lasts.

JC

P.S. Can one use Aerospace on tires?
303 is a must have on my detailer shelf.

You using it in the same sentence as Armorall is blashpemy!!!

303 is my go to vinyl/plastic/rubber cleaner and protectant... esp for underhood shows.
Old 5/4/13, 06:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CamsGt
Just looking for clarification. I just bought my 2014 Deep Impact blue last week. I did not let the dealership rub their grubby mitts on my car. I wanted to do this myself, without the grubby mitts part.
You recognized one of the first steps to keeping your vehicle scratch and swirl free!
Old 5/5/13, 01:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Question

Has anyone had experience with or used this polisher from 3d ?
http://www.3dproducts.com/images/D/h...kit-inside.jpg
Old 5/5/13, 01:54 PM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by Mustang259
Has anyone had experience with or used this polisher from 3d ?
http://www.3dproducts.com/images/D/h...kit-inside.jpg
Three inch kit?
Old 5/5/13, 02:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
whats the difference between mothers clay bar and meguires clay bar?

The mothers clay seems to be softer.
Old 5/5/13, 03:10 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
whats the difference between mothers clay bar and meguires clay bar?

The mothers clay seems to be softer.
The kits you buy OTC are basically the same. Meguiars does offer different levels of aggressiveness, but that's mainly available online.
Old 5/5/13, 04:05 PM
Bullitt Member

No it is a 6 inch kit similar to the griot machine, probably a knock off but the price is only 99 bucks

Quick Reply: The 'ask any detailing question' thread