Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

The 'ask any detailing question' thread

Search this Thread

Old 4/30/13, 03:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advise on stripes. My car is due for its first wax job. It is race red with the factory matte black stripes. I have read not to get wax on the stripes so I was planning on using blue painters masking tape on the stripes so I dont hit them by accident while waxing. I am not sure though if the tape will leave residue behind.

Also, if I wax the paint and not the stripes, seems like the stripes will degrade over time. Is there something I can apply to the stripes that will protect them and not discolor over time? Thanks.
Old 4/30/13, 06:35 PM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by jocatch
Need advise on stripes. My car is due for its first wax job. It is race red with the factory matte black stripes. I have read not to get wax on the stripes so I was planning on using blue painters masking tape on the stripes so I dont hit them by accident while waxing. I am not sure though if the tape will leave residue behind.

Also, if I wax the paint and not the stripes, seems like the stripes will degrade over time. Is there something I can apply to the stripes that will protect them and not discolor over time? Thanks.
Hey there Joe.

Color combo is no doubt killer, but how you choose to take care of the vinyl stripes will depend on what you're using.

Use a wax with abrasives or cleaning agents in it, and you need to avoid the stripes. Use something more specialized like you can purchase online, and you can put it on everything to include the stripes.

Some people will recommend a product like 303 Aerospace Protectant for your stripes, and that'll work well. However, if you want something killer that I believe is your best bet, look into the spray product Optimum Car Wax. http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum...P280/17-oz-S1/

While awesome for stripes, I don't recommend it as much for the rest of the car's paint. Hope this helps.
Old 4/30/13, 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Have any of you tried this?
http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-swirl-removers.html
Old 4/30/13, 09:08 PM
Detailing Guru

Poor poor AG. What shady marketing. Works on all clear-coats? Ssssssuuuurrrreeee it does.

I especially love their photo proof in which they use a more intense whitish-blue light for the before, and then use a standard 2300k halogen for the after. In addition to using two different lights, more yellowish light will make red paint look more warm/orange. They then say the products "intensified the color" of the paint.

Does anyone else need proof of why I say to stay away from AG?
Old 4/30/13, 09:13 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcHarris
Poor poor AG. What shady marketing. Works on all clear-coats? Ssssssuuuurrrreeee it does.

I especially love their photo proof in which they use a more intense whitish-blue light for the before, and then use a standard 2300k halogen for the after. In addition to using two different lights, more yellowish light will make red paint look more warm/orange. They then say the products "intensified the color" of the paint.

Does anyone else need proof of why I say to stay away from AG?
While i agree the marketing isnt the greatest, ive had nothing but good things to say about their availability and decent prices. Theres just about eerything you need to care for every inch of your vehicle.
Just gotta be able to decide for yourself if different products are worth it. As long as you know more than the average joe schmoe detailer then AG isnt all that bad IMHO
Old 5/1/13, 04:31 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Marc, where do you usually buy your products, and what site do you get them from? Chemical guys? Autopia? Superior car care?
Old 5/1/13, 08:11 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
OK gents, time for me to jump in at the deep end!

I've considered getting my '05 professionally detailed and have a quote for 50 hours/£500. This is the sort of figure I was expecting, BUT, I'd really like to do this myself, so I'm looking to buy a DA and appropriate polish/wax/sealant.

I'm looking at this DA that comes with Meguiars 105 and 205

Obviously I'll be reading instructions VERY carefully (and I'll be practicing on my e46 BMW 330i!!) however.......this is my assumption so far on the process I'll follow:

Wash and dry car
Clay bar car
Megs 105 for the initial cutting
Megs 205 for a high quality finish.

Now, a few detailed questions. Does 205 act as a sealant?

I've heard good things about Poor Boys products, and Black Hole sounds like it could be ideal for my black Stang!

Then there's EX-P sealant, which I'm guessing is the final step!

So, does Black Hole do the same as 205? If not, would you advise all 4 products?

Old 5/1/13, 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey there Joe.

Color combo is no doubt killer, but how you choose to take care of the vinyl stripes will depend on what you're using.

Use a wax with abrasives or cleaning agents in it, and you need to avoid the stripes. Use something more specialized like you can purchase online, and you can put it on everything to include the stripes.

Some people will recommend a product like 303 Aerospace Protectant for your stripes, and that'll work well. However, if you want something killer that I believe is your best bet, look into the spray product Optimum Car Wax. http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum...P280/17-oz-S1/

While awesome for stripes, I don't recommend it as much for the rest of the car's paint. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the input. I looked in my garage to see what I bought last fall and never used. I found these:

1. Meguiars GoldClass Carnauba Plus
2. Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detalier
3. Aerospace Protectant 303

I am hoping what this stuff I sould have all I need although I am not sure what the detailer does.

JC
Old 5/1/13, 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Well I ordered the Wolfgangs product. I should've gone with M105 and M205.
Old 5/1/13, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

As for you other people, I'd suggest sticking with Meg's products unless you can afford higher quality waxes, etc.
Old 5/1/13, 09:49 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
OK gents, time for me to jump in at the deep end!

I've considered getting my '05 professionally detailed and have a quote for 50 hours/£500. This is the sort of figure I was expecting, BUT, I'd really like to do this myself, so I'm looking to buy a DA and appropriate polish/wax/sealant.

I'm looking at this DA that comes with Meguiars 105 and 205

Obviously I'll be reading instructions VERY carefully (and I'll be practicing on my e46 BMW 330i!!) however.......this is my assumption so far on the process I'll follow:

Wash and dry car
Clay bar car
Megs 105 for the initial cutting
Megs 205 for a high quality finish.

Now, a few detailed questions. Does 205 act as a sealant?

I've heard good things about Poor Boys products, and Black Hole sounds like it could be ideal for my black Stang!

Then there's EX-P sealant, which I'm guessing is the final step!

So, does Black Hole do the same as 205? If not, would you advise all 4 products?

205 will not act as a sealant. You'll need some other product for that. I have no experience with Poorboys though, so somebody else can give their opinion on that.
Old 5/1/13, 09:50 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 03DJ
Well I ordered the Wolfgangs product. I should've gone with M105 and M205.
M105 and M205 are a great combo, but I've also heard good things about Wolfgang products. I have heard that the 105/205 can be somewhat difficult to work with, mainly dusting.
Old 5/1/13, 09:55 AM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by CCTking
While i agree the marketing isnt the greatest, ive had nothing but good things to say about their availability and decent prices. Theres just about eerything you need to care for every inch of your vehicle.
Just gotta be able to decide for yourself if different products are worth it. As long as you know more than the average joe schmoe detailer then AG isnt all that bad IMHO
That's what everyone believes at first, but the longer you're involved in high end car care, the more shady stuff you'll see from AG. They're the Walmart of detailing supplies: they get you with availability and pricing, but behind your back they're helping to ruin things.

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Marc, where do you usually buy your products, and what site do you get them from? Chemical guys? Autopia? Superior car care?
Detailedimage.com out of New York whom I write articles for and has a nice selection. I was one of their first people to join their Ask-A-Pro blog, and I've appreciate them asking for a lot of professional feedback on what products to bring in. They've listened and have been doing well.
Detailersdomain.com out of New Jersey which sponsors a TON of forums across the internet. Phil and his crew have been bringing hard to find products to the NA market since before I got into this.
BuffDaddy.com from California run be the famous Kevin Brown: the guy responsible for getting pro's to switch from rotary polishers to DAs to do the majority of their correction work. He's not just experienced; he's a scientist to the community that has done more to expand knowledge of how things work than anyone.

There are more, but this is who I mainly use now. I've also used AutoDetailingSolutions, Pakshak, and some others in the past. And yes, I've used AG/Palm Beach Motoring in the past just as many others. That stopped as soon as I began to learn more about their company.
Old 5/1/13, 01:15 PM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by Steven
M105 and M205 are a great combo, but I've also heard good things about Wolfgang products. I have heard that the 105/205 can be somewhat difficult to work with, mainly dusting.
They are very easy to work with, with the main downside being dusting.

There are two extremes: a polish that doesn't cause a lot of build-up on pads and is therefore very dusty, or a polish that doesn't dust, but causes a lot of build up on pads.

Body-shops tend to like things that dust more. Product build up means you have to clean your pads more often or switch pads more often. They can therefore get by with less pads.

OEMs like no dust. Dust near a paint booth can cause horrible problems in paint jobs. They tend to like products that are a bit more oily which is why Menzerna polishes have been used in OEM facilities. These products don't cause dreadful dust, but do require users to swap out for fresh pads much more often.

Lots of products are somewhere between, but as you can imagine, there's always a trade-off.
Old 5/1/13, 01:35 PM
GT Member

They are very easy to work with, with the main downside being dusting.

There are two extremes: a polish that doesn't cause a lot of build-up on pads and is therefore very dusty, or a polish that doesn't dust, but causes a lot of build up on pads.

Body-shops tend to like things that dust more. Product build up means you have to clean your pads more often or switch pads more often. They can therefore get by with less pads.

OEMs like no dust. Dust near a paint booth can cause horrible problems in paint jobs. They tend to like products that are a bit more oily which is why Menzerna polishes have been used in OEM facilities. These products don't cause dreadful dust, but do require users to swap out for fresh pads much more often.

Lots of products are somewhere between, but as you can imagine, there's always a trade-off.
Interesting, I didn't know that about dusting/not so much dusting. Kevin Brown has an informative video on the 105/205 combo, doesn't he?

I've got the Meg's MF kit on order. Should be here on Thursday. I'm very much looking forward to giving it a go on my wife's daily driver.
Old 5/1/13, 02:22 PM
Detailing Guru

If you'd like to do a little research/reading on polishing: Kevin Brown is the man: http://www.buffdaddy.com/kevinbrownmethod
Old 5/1/13, 07:19 PM

Aluminum wheel care

What do you recommend to safely clean oem aluminum clear coated wheels? Is Armor all all wheel cleaner safe?
Old 5/1/13, 09:12 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Marc im interested in what youve experienced with them. I guess id say id like to know whts goin on before i get deeper into car care
Old 5/1/13, 11:29 PM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by COBRAJET
What do you recommend to safely clean oem aluminum clear coated wheels? Is Armor all all wheel cleaner safe?
OEM clear-coated wheels can be cleaned with many different wheel cleaners safely and effectively. That product sounds fine, just make sure you don't use it in direct sun light or on a hot wheel. You also don't want to allow the wheel cleaner to dry on the wheel.

Spray, agitate, thoroughly rinse clean. Enjoy CLEAN wheels.
Old 5/2/13, 09:21 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by CCTking
Marc im interested in what youve experienced with them. I guess id say id like to know whts goin on before i get deeper into car care
I agree. Please send me a PM if you have the time Marc.

Also, still curious on the correct ratio of Simple Green to water for cleaning wax/polishing foam pads.

Last edited by Steven; 5/2/13 at 09:22 AM.

Quick Reply: The 'ask any detailing question' thread