Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

The 'ask any detailing question' thread

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/13, 03:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CCTking

I started with mothers clay kit after a good wash with Megls gold class shampoo. After drying with a couple clean waffle mfʻs i used a RO polisher from autozone with Klasse all-in-one polish, followed by a coat of hand applied Klasse High Gloss Sealant. Then another coat of Pinnacle Liquid Souveran applied by hand as well. Bith with foam applicators
Thanks! Had the Souveran lasted this long or have you reapplied? Does sealant bead water like wax? because how do you tell when the wax is gone and sealant remains?
Old 4/26/13, 04:33 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by max5ive0

Thanks! Had the Souveran lasted this long or have you reapplied? Does sealant bead water like wax? because how do you tell when the wax is gone and sealant remains?
The Souveran has about worn away by niw but the sealant is still going strong. Sealants usually have a harder looking crisper shine as compared to the warm gloss found in waxes. Sealant works much like wax in that it still protects your car, but has been scientifically engineered to be stronger and last lo ger while still maintaining carnuba-like qualities. You can tell over-time the smoothness after a wash or how well the water beads pr sheets off the car.
Old 4/26/13, 09:42 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang259
I have to slightly disagree with the statements that hand polishing is not consistent, I have hand polished and hand waxed cars all my life and have learned how to be consistent and have had amazing results. Hand polishing is a learned art and not all people are detailed oriented or disciplined enough to be consistent and thorough while performing the work.
I strongly agree however, that it is very time consuming and can be tiring for those weak of arm and mind.
Just my two cents and I am not trying to start an argument, just remember everyone is different and some of us grew up without the benefit of power tools!

I would not discourage anyone from hand polishing or waxing, but they will have to learn how just like anything else.
I used to hand polish and hand wax as well. Did it for years. And just as stubborn as I was to accept iPhones and iPods, so was I for moving on to buffers. My hand and arm can't compete with a machine that rotates at 6k or more rpms. It does it quicker and better than I could ever dream of. I've switched to machine buffing for the last 9 years or so. Never looked back.
Old 4/26/13, 11:14 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5

I used to hand polish and hand wax as well. Did it for years. And just as stubborn as I was to accept iPhones and iPods, so was I for moving on to buffers. My hand and arm can't compete with a machine that rotates at 6k or more rpms. It does it quicker and better than I could ever dream of. I've switched to machine buffing for the last 9 years or so. Never looked back.
Im a firm believer in the manual method. Yea the results could be better with a polisher but do the job right by hand and the level of personnal satisfaction is almost unbeatable
Old 4/27/13, 05:38 AM
I Have No Life

Im a firm believer in the manual method. Yea the results could be better with a polisher but do the job right by hand and the level of personnal satisfaction is almost unbeatable
Bro... You know I love you and mean NO disrespect right?

However... Regarding hand polishing, either you have bionic hands or you are spending 300 hours buffing your car, but chances are you still have a LOT of remaining swirls.

Let me explain.

Using a buffer, a very high quality high speed buffer, I average 14 hours, of work. This results in about 95% correction. This effort includes 3 different pads... A coarse orange one, a fine gray one, and a super fine red one.... That's 3 different times I go over the WHOLE car. Going over the whole car means dividing it to 2x2 foot sections, then doing 6 to 8 passes each to make sure it's SWIRL FREE.

So just think about that.... All that work for a MACHINE that spins at thousands and thousands of rpms faster than any hand or arm does. And sometimes I don't get to correct all those swirls because they're so deeeeep... Meaning I need a coarser pad or a lot longer correction time. That's why I say 95% correction... The 5% is usually not worth it because you would eat through too much clear coat to get to it.

This is why buffing is far far far superior to hand buffing. It's virtually impossible to hand polish and get to the level of correction machine buffing would do.

Now don't get me wrong, hand buffing to some folks is still good, I guess, but it's more so doing it just to "do it".... But don't expect results to be anywhere close to machine buffing. Time is very precious to me now adays, so if I can get my show car shine in much less time and get truly swirl free yet still get my detailing fix and be "one" with my car, sign me up.

Just my 2 cents. Again no disrespect..... But just showing you how you can save a LOT of time, get better results, but still be in love with detailing

I know there is a significant up front cost to machine buffing, obviously. The buffer, the pads, polish, etc.... And you're a college student, so perhaps that's why you're pushing hand buffing... That's ok, I understand and respect that. If you were close to Iowa I'd detail your car with you, at least initially, for free

Last edited by FromZto5; 4/27/13 at 05:44 AM.
Old 4/27/13, 06:03 AM
FR500 Member

Bro... You know I love you and mean NO disrespect right?

However... Regarding hand polishing, either you have bionic hands or you are spending 300 hours buffing your car, but chances are you still have a LOT of remaining swirls.

Let me explain.

Using a buffer, a very high quality high speed buffer, I average 14 hours, of work. This results in about 95% correction. This effort includes 3 different pads... A coarse orange one, a fine gray one, and a super fine red one.... That's 3 different times I go over the WHOLE car. Going over the whole car means dividing it to 2x2 foot sections, then doing 6 to 8 passes each to make sure it's SWIRL FREE.

So just think about that.... All that work for a MACHINE that spins at thousands and thousands of rpms faster than any hand or arm does. And sometimes I don't get to correct all those swirls because they're so deeeeep... Meaning I need a coarser pad or a lot longer correction time. That's why I say 95% correction... The 5% is usually not worth it because you would eat through too much clear coat to get to it.

This is why buffing is far far far superior to hand buffing. It's virtually impossible to hand polish and get to the level of correction machine buffing would do.

Now don't get me wrong, hand buffing to some folks is still good, I guess, but it's more so doing it just to "do it".... But don't expect results to be anywhere close to machine buffing. Time is very precious to me now adays, so if I can get my show car shine in much less time and get truly swirl free yet still get my detailing fix and be "one" with my car, sign me up.

Just my 2 cents. Again no disrespect..... But just showing you how you can save a LOT of time, get better results, but still be in love with detailing

I know there is a significant up front cost to machine buffing, obviously. The buffer, the pads, polish, etc.... And you're a college student, so perhaps that's why you're pushing hand buffing... That's ok, I understand and respect that. If you were close to Iowa I'd detail your car with you, at least initially, for free
Bro..... You know i know all or most of what you told me! But still just the feeling pf following the countours with your hand you really get a sense pf how the designers felt. Ypu really learn the physical body pf the car
Old 4/27/13, 06:18 AM
Bullitt Member

I agree wholeheartedly, that machine polishing is faster and in some ways better than hand polishing, but I am like CCTking and enjoy the feel of the car and the satisfaction of the completed work.
Plus it is a lot quieter to polish a car by hand
BTW, I am probably older than Zto5 and CCTking combined, so some day I will have to break down and either have the detailing done or get a machine;(
I am really enjoying this thread and all the input!
Old 4/27/13, 06:38 AM
I Have No Life

Bro..... You know i know all or most of what you told me! But still just the feeling pf following the countours with your hand you really get a sense pf how the designers felt. Ypu really learn the physical body pf the car
Ok ok you win hehe...

Originally Posted by Mustang259
I agree wholeheartedly, that machine polishing is faster and in some ways better than hand polishing, but I am like CCTking and enjoy the feel of the car and the satisfaction of the completed work.
Plus it is a lot quieter to polish a car by hand
BTW, I am probably older than Zto5 and CCTking combined, so some day I will have to break down and either have the detailing done or get a machine;(
I am really enjoying this thread and all the input!
I dunno. I'm pretty old
Old 4/27/13, 07:19 AM
FR500 Member

Ok ok you win hehe...

I dunno. I'm pretty old
Zto5 i wish i had a darker color to really snap necks Your 5.0 is easily one of the nicest ones here

Mustang4, well you could always ask one of us "young bucks" to take care of your car for ya!
Old 4/27/13, 04:34 PM
Detailing Guru

Sorry I'm currently out of town taking care of an owners car over the next few days and can't comment too much, but I agree with Zto5 a you can likely imagine.

I do understand the feeling of personal satisfaction, but you have to take into account your hand's natural pressure points and how the pressure exerted will change through your arm motion.

I in no way was trying to say it is impossible to hand polish, or that you can't get good results. I'm only making sure people know that using a machine will be both quicker, more consistent, and safer in the long term.

Keep the good convo up and I'll be back... with a tan
Old 4/27/13, 07:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
I wish I had an answer, this happened to my mothers car and I've never been able to get it off. Ever since i try and get them off asap but not seeing it is a whole other problem, often unavoidable. I'm interested to see if Anyone has an answer. How long do you think it was on your paint?
Had same problem on Monday, I used Zaino's paint cleaner. It took two tries, but it came off.
Old 4/29/13, 12:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really like this thread. I had been hand waxing and polishing for about 15 years before I finally figured out that I already had a PC2424 DA that I had been using for furniture projects (sanding). Once I started reading up on using the buffer to polish and apply stuff I was like, Heck Yeah!!!. The first time I did it I came back in the house and my wife was asking me if I was taking a break. I had to let her know I was done. Work smarter not harder. Having some shoulder problems lately makes me appreciate technology but I get what you are saying about running your hands down all the lines of the car. I still do for the tight spots just so I get good coverage.
Old 4/29/13, 04:31 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Work smarter not harder.
This is possibly the smartest quote I've read on a detailing discussion in a long time. This quote, x 1000%

If you can cut the time down by a factor of 1000 or more, plus get better results by the same factor, it's a no brainer.

As for "feeling the lines of the car", that's what hand washing and waxing is for
Old 4/29/13, 06:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for "feeling the lines of the car", that's what hand washing and waxing is for
Old 4/29/13, 09:08 AM
I Have No Life

just finished posting this

https://themustangsource.com/f659/20...mation-521204/
Old 4/29/13, 10:04 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
How do you feel about those small hand held 6 inch orbital buffers? I'm not wanting to spend too much and also large buffers scare me. I've seen my dad burn paint off his old Monte Carlo.

The only thing I don't like about orbitals is when you graze certain flat black areas or trim and traps wax on decal edges. Its almost like you have to do it by hand because it keeps you aware if how hard your pushing on the car. The orbital could be used for large areas I guess..

I saw a buffet at wal mart that was like 25 bucks. Decent?

Last edited by Getportfolio; 4/29/13 at 10:05 AM.
Old 4/29/13, 10:17 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
How do you feel about those small hand held 6 inch orbital buffers? I'm not wanting to spend too much and also large buffers scare me. I've seen my dad burn paint off his old Monte Carlo.

The only thing I don't like about orbitals is when you graze certain flat black areas or trim and traps wax on decal edges. Its almost like you have to do it by hand because it keeps you aware if how hard your pushing on the car. The orbital could be used for large areas I guess..

I saw a buffet at wal mart that was like 25 bucks. Decent?
I'm heading to a meeting so I will respond to this later… But please do not buy any buffer from Walmart.

But your dad probably burned through his paint because he did not know how to properly use that buffer. There's also two types of buffers, the DA or a rotary. Rotaries correct much faster and better but Produce a lot of heat very fast. A DA will correct at about 80 to 90% of what a rotary can do, but will produce much less heat… But it will take a lot longer to correct

Walmart buffers can do neither of those. You will look to spend about $100-$150 starting price for it.

Last edited by FromZto5; 4/29/13 at 10:22 AM.
Old 4/30/13, 11:15 AM
Detailing Guru

I'm heading to a meeting so I will respond to this later… But please do not buy any buffer from Walmart.

But your dad probably burned through his paint because he did not know how to properly use that buffer. There's also two types of buffers, the DA or a rotary. Rotaries correct much faster and better but Produce a lot of heat very fast. A DA will correct at about 80 to 90% of what a rotary can do, but will produce much less heat… But it will take a lot longer to correct

Walmart buffers can do neither of those. You will look to spend about $100-$150 starting price for it.
With some of the newer DA's and technology, they can correct basically as fast with the same result as rotaries. That plus their relative safety is why they've become more and more popular.
Old 4/30/13, 11:38 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
What is DA?
Old 4/30/13, 12:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
What is DA?
Dual action

Quick Reply: The 'ask any detailing question' thread