Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

The 'ask any detailing question' thread

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/14, 09:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a client's car and Mistress Lauren taken together...
Name:  Mustangdetail011.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  116.3 KB
Old 1/19/14, 09:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another black reflection shot... 2006 Mustang V6 Pony package...
Name:  Mustangdetail004.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  117.1 KB
Old 1/19/14, 09:53 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had an 02 gt in black and Lawd i miss that car. Not only did it sound mean courtesy of Borla, but it also looked mean. Every weekend id be washing it and doin a light detail while every other week was my "therapy session" as i call it. My worries and troubles disappear with the swirl marks lol

Whenever i do my gpas black tacoma truck ill be sure to post pictures
Old 1/19/14, 10:40 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by CCTking
I cant multiquote on my phone but... FromZto5 its VERY hard to show 3+ hours of work on the white car, but at night she really shines and also sunrise and sunset. During the day shes just a brilliant sharp white. Sometimes each segment between the lines shows a tad different shade or brightness of white depending on the light. DaGonz, yea i know it really does. Plus from the past couple times is been to the body shop, they hvnt exactly repainted very well so theres several spots where stuff is in the paint itself or on one of early clear coat layers so i cant touch it at all. When i take my car to get the decklid and spoiler painted (im thinkin matte black but maybe gloss black) im thinking about asking them to repaint my a-pillars, refinish under my quarter windows, along the upper secrion of my door, and my hood. I also need to get my rear bumper re-done too or maybe even replaced cuz idk where this came from but its really really bugging me. Idk if you can see it but it almost looks like something was leaning on it and pressed part of the bumper in causing that lil indention and cracks Also idk whether to get new TX (black n white) plates or get some custom ones. What would you guys suggest if i went the custom route?
Definitely get black and white Texas plates!
Old 1/19/14, 10:48 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Definitely get black and white Texas plates!
I kinda wanna get "PINOYBOY" or "ISLAND6"
Old 2/8/14, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a small nick on my front bumper right beside the headlight on my 2014 GT/CS. I can just barely see it but it bugs me being there. What is the best way to touch that up? I don't know if color matters but it is Ingot Silver Metallic (UX). Thanks guys I am new to the forum and really enjoy reading and learning from your posts. Thanks again.
Old 2/9/14, 09:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
What is the best way to take care of chrome wheels? I usually use megs quick detailer but I have used turtle wax and mothers chrome cleaner/polish.
Old 2/10/14, 09:39 AM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by 2014GTCS
I have a small nick on my front bumper right beside the headlight on my 2014 GT/CS. I can just barely see it but it bugs me being there. What is the best way to touch that up? I don't know if color matters but it is Ingot Silver Metallic (UX). Thanks guys I am new to the forum and really enjoy reading and learning from your posts. Thanks again.
Howdy there!
Tough spot to have a small blimish. The goal will be to conceal the issue / not have it as noticeable. Because of the color, you have an increased challenge because the metallic flake in your paint lays a certain way, and in touching up the spot there's no way it'll match the factory finish.

Lots of guys talk highly of Doctor Colorship. While I don't have direct experience with this system, it may be worth looking into if this is truly bothering you.

Originally Posted by Glenn
What is the best way to take care of chrome wheels? I usually use megs quick detailer but I have used turtle wax and mothers chrome cleaner/polish.
Well Glenn, my first question is:
What about what you're currently doing isn't working/working effective enough that you're looking for other options? Is there something in particular that you're looking to improve on?

If what you're using is working: keeping using it.
Old 2/10/14, 05:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Just wondering what you use? What steps do you take to get that shine?
Old 2/11/14, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by MarcHarris
Howdy there!
Tough spot to have a small blimish. The goal will be to conceal the issue / not have it as noticeable. Because of the color, you have an increased challenge because the metallic flake in your paint lays a certain way, and in touching up the spot there's no way it'll match the factory finish.

Lots of guys talk highly of Doctor Colorship. While I don't have direct experience with this system, it may be worth looking into if this is truly bothering you.

Well Glenn, my first question is:
What about what you're currently doing isn't working/working effective enough that you're looking for other options? Is there something in particular that you're looking to improve on?

If what you're using is working: keeping using it.

Thank you. I have, so far, tried small dabs of touch up paint on the end of a tooth pick building it up slowly over several days. That seems to be working. I appreciate the reply.
Old 2/11/14, 08:41 AM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by Glenn
Just wondering what you use? What steps do you take to get that shine?
Properly cleaning them with soft brushes and a good wheel cleaner should make them look great alone.

For additional shine, clean with a microfiber towel and a light All-in-one (Klasse AIO is what I'd use). That'll give additional clarity along with a little protection.

Every now and then, they might need some light polishing in addition, but that'll be up to you and what you feel about their look.
Old 2/17/14, 10:20 PM
V6 Member

Hey everyone, I've got a few questions I would love some answers to.
1. What defines a good microfiber towel, and what are some good names to look at?
2. Microfiber washes, are they really all they're cracked up to be? Do they actually work, and would you recommend?
3. What are some good wash mitts?
Thanks in advance, I'm really looking to keep my new baby spotless and shining. I'm a little paranoid about using poor products though and inducing scratches.
Old 2/23/14, 01:13 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by FullRide14
Hey everyone, I've got a few questions I would love some answers to. 1. What defines a good microfiber towel, and what are some good names to look at? 2. Microfiber washes, are they really all they're cracked up to be? Do they actually work, and would you recommend? 3. What are some good wash mitts? Thanks in advance, I'm really looking to keep my new baby spotless and shining. I'm a little paranoid about using poor products though and inducing scratches.
A good microfiber should feel a lil soft and plush depending on the thread count. One of the most popular names is Cobra. They make some great products and i like using a waffle weave microfiber to dry the car after a wash.
The microfiber wash works wonders, breaking down all the caked in stuff like old polish, wax, and even dirt. DONT use any type of fabric softener in the wash though as it will leave deposits on the cloth which could interfere with its effectiveness.
As for wash mitts, lake country i believe makes a foam mitt with many pockets and even siped all over to provide a mitt that not only really captures and sucks the dirt deep into its cells so as not to scratch the finish, but also contours to the surface very well.

Personally i believe less physical contact with the paint is best but sometimes a proper hand wash is the best method, especially for tougher dirt.
Old 2/23/14, 02:49 PM
V6 Member

A good microfiber should feel a lil soft and plush depending on the thread count. One of the most popular names is Cobra. They make some great products and i like using a waffle weave microfiber to dry the car after a wash. The microfiber wash works wonders, breaking down all the caked in stuff like old polish, wax, and even dirt. DONT use any type of fabric softener in the wash though as it will leave deposits on the cloth which could interfere with its effectiveness. As for wash mitts, lake country i believe makes a foam mitt with many pockets and even siped all over to provide a mitt that not only really captures and sucks the dirt deep into its cells so as not to scratch the finish, but also contours to the surface very well. Personally i believe less physical contact with the paint is best but sometimes a proper hand wash is the best method, especially for tougher dirt.
Awesome, thank you!! I'm just wondering, how do you wash your car with no physical contact? I live down a mile and a half of dirt road so I can collect a lot of dirt and grime between washes.
Old 2/23/14, 05:10 PM
FR500 Member

Awesome, thank you!! I'm just wondering, how do you wash your car with no physical contact? I live down a mile and a half of dirt road so I can collect a lot of dirt and grime between washes.
Like a foam blaster attachment for a hose or pressure washer, they have em on autogeek.net ive seen. The foam will cling to the surface slowly pulling the dirt with it. Then shut off the attachment so its just water and start rinsing from the roof and work your way down. If you have a pressure washer itll be easier but theres a slight risk of micro marring from the dirt moving so quickly across the surface. A steady pour of water like from a normal hose will take a bit longer but its easier on the finish and the water just sheets off as well.
Old 2/24/14, 06:48 AM
V6 Member

Like a foam blaster attachment for a hose or pressure washer, they have em on autogeek.net ive seen. The foam will cling to the surface slowly pulling the dirt with it. Then shut off the attachment so its just water and start rinsing from the roof and work your way down. If you have a pressure washer itll be easier but theres a slight risk of micro marring from the dirt moving so quickly across the surface. A steady pour of water like from a normal hose will take a bit longer but its easier on the finish and the water just sheets off as well.
Awesome. I bought a foam blaster from autogeek as a Christmas present to myself . I didn't realize they worked that well though. I haven't got a chance to get my baby out with all the snow on the ground. All the demonstration videos I'd seen used some physical contact like a normal wash though. So this is good news. Thank you man. It means a lot that you'll take the time to explain this stuff to a newbie like me so thank you. I really appreciate it.
Old 2/24/14, 08:22 AM
FR500 Member

Awesome. I bought a foam blaster from autogeek as a Christmas present to myself . I didn't realize they worked that well though. I haven't got a chance to get my baby out with all the snow on the ground. All the demonstration videos I'd seen used some physical contact like a normal wash though. So this is good news. Thank you man. It means a lot that you'll take the time to explain this stuff to a newbie like me so thank you. I really appreciate it.

I just do alot of research lol and honestly i dont theres a truky touchless way to get a car clean. But the better your procedure and technique can go a long way. The lake county wash mitt seems like the best option and id recommend using a seperate mit or brush for the wheels/tires. The foam will provide ample lubrication on the paint surface so it really captures the dirt.

When i do my detail days i wash twice from top to bottom, im kinda **** about things like that lol

Im sure one of our forum pros will chime in like DaGonz or MarcHarris. Those guys are the really the ones to talk to. Id say PM them with your questions and concerns to get the best answers.
Old 2/24/14, 10:11 AM
Detailing Guru

NO. Do NOT PM me! LOL

That's the purpose of this great on going thread. Open discussion to avoid redundant questions via PM. Out in the open, we can all share our knowledge and opinions.

Some of the stuff I haven't chimed in about, because others have answered, or I've been busy. As this thread and discussion proves, I'm not the only one with answers.

If anyone has specific questions they want me to address, I kindly ask you to ask them here and mention me. I'm actually looking for a good unique question to address as a DetailedImage.com Ask-A-Pro blog entry (I'll give you credit in the article and everything).
Old 2/24/14, 10:33 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by MarcHarris
NO. Do NOT PM me! LOL That's the purpose of this great on going thread. Open discussion to avoid redundant questions via PM. Out in the open, we can all share our knowledge and opinions. Some of the stuff I haven't chimed in about, because others have answered, or I've been busy. As this thread and discussion proves, I'm not the only one with answers. If anyone has specific questions they want me to address, I kindly ask you to ask them here and mention me. I'm actually looking for a good unique question to address as a DetailedImage.com Ask-A-Pro blog entry (I'll give you credit in the article and everything).
Lol sorry man
Old 2/27/14, 12:24 PM
V6 Member

I just purchased a 2014 GT last month and love it. It has the FP8 package with the 19" aluminum wheels and they look great.

Opinion please....do you just clean the outside, visible part of the wheels or do you also clean the inside surface as well? If you do, what do you use?

Quick Reply: The 'ask any detailing question' thread