Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

The 'ask any detailing question' thread

Search this Thread

Old 4/21/13, 06:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meguire's Ultimate wash and wax is what I have and I just need to find a place where I can hand wash my car
Old 4/23/13, 02:54 PM

Start to finish

Just looking for clarification. I just bought my 2014 Deep Impact blue last week. I did not let the dealership rub their grubby mitts on my car. I wanted to do this myself, without the grubby mitts part.
So first I should wash it with something like dawn dish soap. Then clay bar. Then wash with car wash soap. I have a dual action buffer with some Adams car polish. I was going to use this to correct the paint then apply Collinite 845,then the next day,wash with carwash soap and i plan on finishing with Americana paste wax i have from Adams.
Are there any steps I am missing or something I should do a different way. Does this sound like a good plan.
thanks
Old 4/23/13, 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't think you'll need all that with a brand new car. I would just use some car wash soap, and wax. You probably won't need clay bar yet.
Old 4/23/13, 03:59 PM

I did the baggy trick and it felt pretty rough.Hear a lot about rail dust.just want to start off with the best finish i can from the start.

Last edited by CamsGt; 4/23/13 at 04:00 PM.
Old 4/23/13, 04:19 PM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by CamsGt
I did the baggy trick and it felt pretty rough.Hear a lot about rail dust.just want to start off with the best finish i can from the start.
You're on the right track. Always worth claying, especially if you're going to do a polishing step afterwards. If the car isn't very contaminated, then claying should go by quickly.

If you plan on waxing it fairly frequently, then I don't need to do multiple layers right off the bat of protection, let alone you're best off waiting a week (or wait until after your next wash) to apply a second layer.
Old 4/23/13, 04:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
swirl remover before or after clay bar?
Old 4/23/13, 05:18 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
swirl remover before or after clay bar?
Definitely after.
Old 4/23/13, 06:34 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Best tire care methods? Ive been scrunning my tires clean but they seem to get brown and dull so quickly it makes me think im nit cleaning the tire enough. Currently i use eagle 1 all in one tire/wheel cleaner, tire brush, followed by high oressure tire cleaner and high pressure soap/water at the self service carwash down the street from my house. Also i polished my rims and noticed that theres some rough/raw feeling as if the clearcoat wasnt sprayed right. Would i have to sand them down and re-coat them? Its really botherin me and im just cycling through my options
Old 4/23/13, 07:16 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by CCTking
Best tire care methods? Ive been scrunning my tires clean but they seem to get brown and dull so quickly it makes me think im nit cleaning the tire enough. Currently i use eagle 1 all in one tire/wheel cleaner, tire brush, followed by high oressure tire cleaner and high pressure soap/water at the self service carwash down the street from my house. Also i polished my rims and noticed that theres some rough/raw feeling as if the clearcoat wasnt sprayed right. Would i have to sand them down and re-coat them? Its really botherin me and im just cycling through my options
Leave the rims alone. That's how those stock V6 rims are. One reason I sold mine and didn't even consider them as a winter beater set. They are not the best quality. If anything wax them to preserve their life.

Make sure your tires are completely dry before you dress them. This way you can tell if you need to scrub them more. They have to be soot free to really shine.
Old 4/23/13, 07:19 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio

Leave the rims alone. That's how those stock V6 rims are. One reason I sold mine and didn't even consider them as a winter beater set. They are not the best quality. If anything wax them to preserve their life.

Make sure your tires are completely dry before you dress them. This way you can tell if you need to scrub them more. They have to be soot free to really shine.
I have aʻot of tough crap on my tires so i guess its just gonna take alot of elbow grease
Gonna have some super arms when im done!
Old 4/23/13, 07:25 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by CCTking

I have aʻot of tough crap on my tires so i guess its just gonna take alot of elbow grease
Gonna have some super arms when im done!
Eagle 1 is the best tire dressing in my opinion. Just sayin.
Old 4/23/13, 07:32 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio

Eagle 1 is the best tire dressing in my opinion. Just sayin.
Oh yea nothin but great stuff from eagle 1, i just wish i could really just scrub my tires to newness faster
Old 4/23/13, 08:24 PM
Detailing Guru

If you're having trouble and want something that I can promise will work, look into the TUF shine tire kit.
Old 4/23/13, 08:30 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by MarcHarris
If you're having trouble and want something that I can promise will work, look into the TUF shine tire kit.
Ive been searchin aroun and i really want to grab that TUF kit. Just not in the budget
Old 4/23/13, 09:18 PM

Three questions.
1. Flat black trim. How to restore it to new looking? Wax build up etc...
2. Dash was protected by the detailer and now it feels sticky. How to remove it and what to apply after?
3. Outside rubber trim. Cleaning and care?
Old 4/23/13, 09:23 PM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by NeverTooOld
Three questions.
2. Dash was protected by the detailer and now it feels sticky. How to remove it and what to apply after?
1. Are you referring to the black molded plastic pieces?

2. Don't go back to that guy. Use a light cleaner like 1Z Cockpit Premium or diluted Woolite (15:1) with a medium stiffness brush.
After use something like 1Z Cockpit Premium for a nice natural look that is clean and consistent.

3. Use something that has a little cleaning ability. I find Klasse All In One works extremely well with a microfiber towel.
Old 4/23/13, 09:25 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by NeverTooOld
Three questions.
1. Mothers makes a product called back to black. Basically it cleans, restores, and protects the plastic trim/molding. One trick to remove marks and scuffs and even stray wax on these bits is to use an eraser. Doesnt have to be anything fancy but ive found the pink pearl erasers work best.

2. Any all-purpose cleaner should be able to take of your stick dash problem. Spray a bit on a microfiber, if its safe to spray direct then do that as well but not too much. Afterwards a good interior protectant (non-shiny) will work wonders.

3. Similar to the black trim, black exterior rubber becomes faded and dull over time. Ive used the back to black on ext. rubber before without any problems but it doesnt quite last as long as id like. Im still figuring this part out myself.

Hopefully some of this helps! Its just the simple ways/explanations but id be happy to answer any further questions. Someone more car care savvy should come along shortly.
Old 4/23/13, 09:33 PM
GT Member

Heya Marc. Hi folks Marc is a guru when it comes to this stuff. He did my car for me plus taught me what I needed to do. About a 10 hr detail job on a brand new car it looks spectacular!! Here's a pic after a wash this week couldnt do the tires and rims storm was coming.
Attached Images  
Old 4/23/13, 09:36 PM
GT Member

Another
Attached Images    
Old 4/24/13, 07:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Halfadeck
Another
That looks amazing, Gus. Marc is one helluva guy. For a man who runs his own detailing business, he is extremely generous with trade information. He gave me about 3 hours of his day the other day just talking and giving me tips and pointers so that I could do my own car instead of hiring him. Who does that?!!! Great guys with good business sense, that's who. I would recommend Marc Harris and AutoLavish to ANYONE. There is a lot of great advice on here, guys, amateur and professional alike. Just know that when MarcHarris jumps in on a subject, he is the *****!

Quick Reply: The 'ask any detailing question' thread