Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

The 'ask any detailing question' thread

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/13, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Please stay away from armor all. Buy stuff from reputable vendors. I get all mine online. But if you must stick with OTC stuff, stick with mothers or meguiars
For sure, I'll definitely take it back. I heard about something called aerospapce 303 or something like that, would that be good for the stripes? Also, what would you recommend for the interior? I'd like it to be cleaned and protected, without the greasy feel and shine. I really appreciate all your help, fellas.
Old 9/17/13, 12:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by shurtual86
It can, but some people like to put a thin coat of wax on top, to make it shine a bit more, since waxes tend to shine more than sealants.
I tried the wolf gang sealant and I think I like it ...a lot. so far. I waxed part of the roof after the sealant cured and it didn't seem to make much a of a difference with the shine. I like it tho
Old 9/17/13, 05:28 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by NateMaez

For sure, I'll definitely take it back. I heard about something called aerospapce 303 or something like that, would that be good for the stripes? Also, what would you recommend for the interior? I'd like it to be cleaned and protected, without the greasy feel and shine. I really appreciate all your help, fellas.
You hit it right on... 303 is all I use for interior and engine bay. Stripes I'm not sure. What's the material?
Old 9/17/13, 06:52 PM
Detailing Guru

Vinyl - it'll work fine.
Old 9/17/13, 08:26 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by MarcHarris
Vinyl - it'll work fine.
Marc has spoken...
Old 9/25/13, 10:46 AM
Bullitt Member

When I get my new 2014, should I... treat my leather seats with something myself? Or should I pay the dealer $400 and have them "protect" and "warranty" it (seems like an insane markup here!) ?

I'm new to owning anything with leather.
Old 9/25/13, 11:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
probably not worth it as it probably only covers wear through and does not cover damage from like your dog or the like.

How is it worded?
Old 9/25/13, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

It's of the "any damage covered" variety, but considering I can buy a leather recliner for $400...
Old 9/27/13, 12:28 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just clayed black 14 with 500 miles on it for 1st time. Anyone who clayed theirs, did you do the bumpers too. I started to but it appeared to be scratching it. So I stopped. The body claying went well. The roof is great looking. the hood has a little work needed but not too bad other than a real thin scratch over pass fog light on the hood about 3 or 4 inches form edge. Tried to use port cable with chem guys 36 and the scratch didnt budge. on a scale of 1 to 10 for badness it is only a 2 or 3 but it bothers me. i will try more tomorrow but anyone have an idea about something like this. Also, did you guys use a DA to do bumpers? Can I use the PC to get the scratches out of the bumper? Does claying scratch the bumpers?
Old 9/27/13, 04:11 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by sclv12
Just clayed black 14 with 500 miles on it for 1st time. Anyone who clayed theirs, did you do the bumpers too. I started to but it appeared to be scratching it. So I stopped. The body claying went well. The roof is great looking. the hood has a little work needed but not too bad other than a real thin scratch over pass fog light on the hood about 3 or 4 inches form edge. Tried to use port cable with chem guys 36 and the scratch didnt budge. on a scale of 1 to 10 for badness it is only a 2 or 3 but it bothers me. i will try more tomorrow but anyone have an idea about something like this. Also, did you guys use a DA to do bumpers? Can I use the PC to get the scratches out of the bumper? Does claying scratch the bumpers?
Claying must be done on every surface. If it's scratching, it's either technique or quality of claybar.... Or both.

Last edited by FromZto5; 9/27/13 at 04:13 AM.
Old 9/27/13, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Claying must be done on every surface. If it's scratching, it's either technique or quality of claybar.... Or both.
^ Agreed. Clean your clay (by folding) often. If you're scratching it, your clay is done - time for a new bar.
Old 1/13/14, 05:05 PM
V6 Member

Hello, all. Beginner detailer here and I'm looking for some advice. I want to lean to detail THE RIGHT WAY so that I keep my baby clean and protected. I've done washes and waxes before but never really knew how to do everything properly. I know some musts are: buckets with grit guards, good wash mitt, high quality microfiber towels, good soap, clay, and wax/sealant. Would anybody out there be willing to give me some tips and tricks about how to detail along with where and what products to get? I've heard autogeek and detailedimage are a couple good sources for products, is this true? My car is Ingot Silver if that matters at all, I've seen that some waxes are especially designed for dark colors. I've done some research and watched some youtube videos from some people like junkman and the chemical guys. I would really appreciate any help at all, thanks in advance.
Old 1/18/14, 03:51 PM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by FullRide14
Hello, all. Beginner detailer here and I'm looking for some advice. I want to lean to detail THE RIGHT WAY so that I keep my baby clean and protected. I've done washes and waxes before but never really knew how to do everything properly. I know some musts are: buckets with grit guards, good wash mitt, high quality microfiber towels, good soap, clay, and wax/sealant. Would anybody out there be willing to give me some tips and tricks about how to detail along with where and what products to get? I've heard autogeek and detailedimage are a couple good sources for products, is this true? My car is Ingot Silver if that matters at all, I've seen that some waxes are especially designed for dark colors. I've done some research and watched some youtube videos from some people like junkman and the chemical guys. I would really appreciate any help at all, thanks in advance.
Hello there new detailer. You're on the right path and it looks like you've been researching a bit as well, which is good.

What you do and how you do it matters more than what you use. If you want to start seeing a lot of work by professionals and information from them, then take a look over at autopia.org

The two sources you listed for products are two vendors with big reputations and wide selections. Sometimes you'll find the selections are too big and it makes it hard to decide on what to use / buy. When in doubt, by in smaller quantities so you can try various things. Then buy larger sizes once you know you're in love with a product.
Old 1/18/14, 09:57 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I picked up Meguiars new polisher thats used with a drill. As a DA or RO polisher are out of the budget for now (new apartment) this works very well. A lil bit of megs polish and klasse high gloss sealant topped with liquid gold class is my recipie. I really wanna learn how to wer sand so i can get rid of the annoying orange peel and really make this baby as sharp as nails
Attached Thumbnails The 'ask any detailing question' thread-image-2652876753.jpg   The 'ask any detailing question' thread-image-38482412.jpg   The 'ask any detailing question' thread-image-2605442854.jpg   The 'ask any detailing question' thread-image-218501317.jpg   The 'ask any detailing question' thread-image-3959973836.jpg  

Old 1/19/14, 07:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FullRide14
Hello there new detailer. You're on the right path and it looks like you've been researching a bit as well, which is good.

What you do and how you do it matters more than what you use. If you want to start seeing a lot of work by professionals and information from them, then take a look over at autopia.org

The two sources you listed for products are two vendors with big reputations and wide selections. Sometimes you'll find the selections are too big and it makes it hard to decide on what to use / buy. When in doubt, by in smaller quantities so you can try various things. Then buy larger sizes once you know you're in love with a product.
Mark is very humble. You can get great advice from him and other detailers at detailedimage.com

Last edited by DaGonz; 1/19/14 at 07:53 AM.
Old 1/19/14, 08:38 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by CCTking
I picked up Meguiars new polisher thats used with a drill. As a DA or RO polisher are out of the budget for now (new apartment) this works very well. A lil bit of megs polish and klasse high gloss sealant topped with liquid gold class is my recipie. I really wanna learn how to wer sand so i can get rid of the annoying orange peel and really make this baby as sharp as nails
Looks great man! I remember with my previous white vehicle, tough to show all that hard work through pics. Nice job tho.
Old 1/19/14, 09:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

CCTKing... If you want to learn how to wet sand, get an old hood or trunk lid from an auotomotive recycling facility (they hate it when you call it a junkyard ) to practice on.

A little "constructive criticism"... the bent front license plate detracts from the looks of your car...
Old 1/19/14, 09:12 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by DaGonz
CCTKing... If you want to learn how to wet sand, get an old hood or trunk lid from an auotomotive recycling facility (they hate it when you call it a junkyard ) to practice on. A little "constructive criticism"... the bent front license plate detracts from the looks of your car...
Good call Ron... Simple things that count
Old 1/19/14, 09:19 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I cant multiquote on my phone but... FromZto5 its VERY hard to show 3+ hours of work on the white car, but at night she really shines and also sunrise and sunset. During the day shes just a brilliant sharp white. Sometimes each segment between the lines shows a tad different shade or brightness of white depending on the light. DaGonz, yea i know it really does. Plus from the past couple times is been to the body shop, they hvnt exactly repainted very well so theres several spots where stuff is in the paint itself or on one of early clear coat layers so i cant touch it at all. When i take my car to get the decklid and spoiler painted (im thinkin matte black but maybe gloss black) im thinking about asking them to repaint my a-pillars, refinish under my quarter windows, along the upper secrion of my door, and my hood. I also need to get my rear bumper re-done too or maybe even replaced cuz idk where this came from but its really really bugging me. Idk if you can see it but it almost looks like something was leaning on it and pressed part of the bumper in causing that lil indention and cracks

Also idk whether to get new TX (black n white) plates or get some custom ones. What would you guys suggest if i went the custom route?
Attached Thumbnails The 'ask any detailing question' thread-image-4272316962.jpg  

Last edited by CCTking; 1/19/14 at 09:20 AM.
Old 1/19/14, 09:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have a white and silver F150 XLT Supercab 4x4 as my daily driver.. and we just replaced our Dune Pearl 2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD with a Platinum Pearl 2014 Edge SEL AWD. White can look stunning, it is all in the way that you prep it and the last step product you use.

Here are a few white vehicles I have detailed...
Name:  Chrysler300April2012010.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  134.9 KB

Here is a white reflection shot...
Name:  Chrysler300April2012004.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  31.6 KB
This one was done on an overcast day...
Name:  EdgedetailMay2012009.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  101.3 KB

Nothing reflects like black....