Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/16, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try this place instead. Much cheaper than BBK TB

www.maxbore.com

Last edited by jlawrence613@yahoo.com; 2/23/16 at 01:51 PM.
Old 2/23/16, 05:25 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had my 3.7s throttle body done by max bore, but on a boosted application, you might as well just go with the 80mm GT TB.

JSimmons, where did you see someone bad mouthing this build? I mean to be fair, it isn't really cost effective but that isn't the point at all lol. I'm about to start on mine. I've sold of a few 3.7 parts already and I'm about to start pulling parts tonight. I'm going to be doing this as cheaply as possible without cutting corners, so we'll see what bottom dollar on this swap really is. The new 3.5 will be around 3500, the control pack will be about 2k, the intercooler will be at least 500, then there's exhaust work, intercooler piping, and a return style fuel system, which I don't know the exact prices on yet but I'm certainly not expecting them to be cheap. All in I'm expecting to pay at least 7 grand to get this done. Realistically, I'm only expecting to get around a grand for my motor considering it's either going to be local pickup or a fortune for shipping. LKQ sells these things all day for around $1500 shipped with a warranty (albeit a very limited one). So total cost after factoring in selling the engine is still going to be like 6k. Considering you can get a procharger for 4k that bolts on in a weekend, I wouldn't say this is a great value, even with higher power limits on stock bottom end. That said, I couldn't care less. I want a twin turbo, direct injected, V6 Mustang and I'm prepared to make the sacrifices necessary to make it happen lol.
Old 2/23/16, 05:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jlawrence613@yahoo.com
Try this place instead. Much cheaper than BBK TB

www.maxbore.com
That's pretty cheap and a good alternative to a stock TB for sure.

That's an impressive list of mods on a 3.7
Old 2/23/16, 05:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GatorV6
I had my 3.7s throttle body done by max bore, but on a boosted application, you might as well just go with the 80mm GT TB.

JSimmons, where did you see someone bad mouthing this build? I mean to be fair, it isn't really cost effective but that isn't the point at all lol. I'm about to start on mine. I've sold of a few 3.7 parts already and I'm about to start pulling parts tonight. I'm going to be doing this as cheaply as possible without cutting corners, so we'll see what bottom dollar on this swap really is. The new 3.5 will be around 3500, the control pack will be about 2k, the intercooler will be at least 500, then there's exhaust work, intercooler piping, and a return style fuel system, which I don't know the exact prices on yet but I'm certainly not expecting them to be cheap. All in I'm expecting to pay at least 7 grand to get this done. Realistically, I'm only expecting to get around a grand for my motor considering it's either going to be local pickup or a fortune for shipping. LKQ sells these things all day for around $1500 shipped with a warranty (albeit a very limited one). So total cost after factoring in selling the engine is still going to be like 6k. Considering you can get a procharger for 4k that bolts on in a weekend, I wouldn't say this is a great value, even with higher power limits on stock bottom end. That said, I couldn't care less. I want a twin turbo, direct injected, V6 Mustang and I'm prepared to make the sacrifices necessary to make it happen lol.
I really believe smart cars are cost effective, not mustangs

Good to hear someone else is going to tear up their mustang for some ecoboost fun lol. Geoff at full-race told me he's going to do start a 2015 mustang 3.5 ecoboost swap in 6-8 weeks. It will be cool to watch how the builds go, I'm really curious what this is going to cost you total. It would be great if you documented your hours.

Lkq prices are for long blocks usually, the strip the engines. If your selling a 3.7 with all the accessories, intake, injectors, TB......basically a drop-out engine you should be able to get $1,500 for it.
Old 2/23/16, 06:07 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice, I was wondering if/when someone was was going to put this motor in an S550. I can't wait to see that!

I'll definitely be documenting my build. I'll probably start a thread here and I might do another one on AFM because that's where my current build thread is ( http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ld-thread.html ).I'm going to try to get plenty of videos for my youtube channel as well but I make no promises lol. Either way, I'm excited to get started!
Old 2/24/16, 02:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GatorV6
Nice, I was wondering if/when someone was was going to put this motor in an S550. I can't wait to see that!

I'll definitely be documenting my build. I'll probably start a thread here and I might do another one on AFM because that's where my current build thread is ( http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ld-thread.html ).I'm going to try to get plenty of videos for my youtube channel as well but I make no promises lol. Either way, I'm excited to get started!
I read your thread, it's interesting! You have done a lot of work so far to your mustang. That watts link looks serious!
Old 2/24/16, 07:51 PM
Cobra Member

We have been waiting hptuners to give us the updated tune for a couple weeks now, they thought last week they would be finished with it today. Despite working on it unfortunately the tune wasn't ready today, the programming for this is apparently complicated and challenging. I'm certainly not complaining, I understand how custom projects go.

Since it may take time for them to get it figured out Lexiion and I will go back to finishing the electrical and cleaning up the wiring in the interior, we have enough work to keep us busy until then. We have a work session tomorrow night, we will be pulling the dash back out again.
Old 2/25/16, 09:58 PM
Cobra Member

Tonight Alex did some wiring while I installed an rx catch can. He got the passenger window working and also figured out the oil pressure sensor which I'll wire up tomorrow. He checked my wiring on the speed sensor and said it looked correct. This made us assume we have a bad speed sensor, mine got cracked when it was left in the trans when it was shipped, although it's only a hairline crack it may be the problem.

Then we started the car and noticed that the speedometer is being controlled by the gas pedal. With the key on and the car not running you can push the gas and the speedo reacts instantly. Back to the drawing board lol.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Ecostang; 2/25/16 at 10:02 PM.
Old 2/25/16, 10:47 PM
Cobra Member

The reason I went with this expensive RX catch can is because it's able to vent the crankcase constantly instead of only venting while the intake is under vacuum like most other catch cans. For turbo cars this can be a significant amount of time.

It has a drain valve instead of a cup that unscrewes from the bottom. I added a few extra plumbing pieces to route this drain valve in to my wheel well. I'll cut a hole in the splash shield to go around this. This is the easiest place for me to dump the contents.

Last edited by Ecostang; 2/25/16 at 10:52 PM.
Old 2/25/16, 11:17 PM
Cobra Member

RX catch can diagram
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.png  
Old 2/26/16, 08:00 AM
Cobra Member

For the clean side separator air supply I simply used the plugged hole that came with the airaid "y" intake tube. I had to make a Home Depot trip for some fittings but no big deal.
Old 2/26/16, 08:02 AM
Cobra Member

I cut off my original PCV hoses and used the quick disconnects for the rx catch can hoses for a cleaner install.
Old 2/26/16, 08:10 AM
Cobra Member

I only connected to one turbo intake for vacuum, I asked RX if that was fine and they said yes it was only a very slight advantage to connect to both. I just don't see the benefit and this made the install much easier.
Old 2/26/16, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Then we started the car and noticed that the speedometer is being controlled by the gas pedal. With the key on and the car not running you can push the gas and the speedo reacts instantly. Back to the drawing board lol.

The wiring for the throttle position sensors goes directly to the PCM, not even any in-line connectors (Mustang and F150 wiring both are like this). The PCM puts "throttle position" on the CAN bus. The PCM also puts "MPH" on the CAN bus based on values from the OSS. If the OSS signal is missing, the PCM should set an error code and insert a default value for "MPH" on the CAN bus. This does not seem to be happening. Your Instrument Cluster's CAN interface is picking up "throttle position" instead of "MPH".

I would suggest you change the OSS and check the continuity of the wires from the OSS to the PCM.

What model year is your cluster? If 2010 maybe it does not match the PCM's model year, maybe Ford made a change in the CAN protocol between model years? 2011-2014 are all the same CAN protocol for Mustang and F150 as far as I can tell.
Old 2/26/16, 09:10 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by walt460

The wiring for the throttle position sensors goes directly to the PCM, not even any in-line connectors (Mustang and F150 wiring both are like this). The PCM puts "throttle position" on the CAN bus. The PCM also puts "MPH" on the CAN bus based on values from the OSS. If the OSS signal is missing, the PCM should set an error code and insert a default value for "MPH" on the CAN bus. This does not seem to be happening. Your Instrument Cluster's CAN interface is picking up "throttle position" instead of "MPH".

I would suggest you change the OSS and check the continuity of the wires from the OSS to the PCM.

What model year is your cluster? If 2010 maybe it does not match the PCM's model year, maybe Ford made a change in the CAN protocol between model years? 2011-2014 are all the same CAN protocol for Mustang and F150 as far as I can tell.
Thanks for the reply Walt. We had decided to change out the speed sensor until we saw the speedo reacting with the throttle, you still think it's the sensor? I have no issue with changing out the sensor as long as I know it's bad. To change the sensor means I will need to drain the smelly oil in the trans and refill it when done. Lexiion suggested that I buy the new sensor and simply plug it in before changing it to see if the speedo goes to 0 mph, currently it's stuck on 60 mph until you press the gas.

I have 3 clusters but the one we have been testing with is the 2010. I have a 2012 gt500 cluster and a 2014 GT cluster that I can easily try out instead. I know that the gt500 cluster was used in the beginning and it did show 60mph just like the 2010 cluster.
Old 2/26/16, 09:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

2010-2014 Mustangs use the same cluster, and actually the 2010's work with newer clusters. I know that for sure, as i swapped 2012/2013/2014 clusters into 2010 cars.

I think something else is off here.

LEXiiON
Old 2/26/16, 09:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
On the other hand, the datalog always showed MPH as 0.
LEXiiON
Old 2/26/16, 10:32 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by LEXiiON
On the other hand, the datalog always showed MPH as 0.
LEXiiON

If the speed signal is not on the proper channel, what the datalog is picking up may not be from the speed sensor, if I understand how these things work.
Old 2/26/16, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like Lexiion's idea, just plug in a new sensor and see if speed goes to zero.
Old 2/26/16, 02:35 PM
Cobra Member

I like Lexiion's idea, just plug in a new sensor and see if speed goes to zero.
I'm going to run a temporary pigtail over to my Shelby to see if the speedo goes to 0 mph, it apparently has the same sensor.

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap