Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
11.11%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
88.89%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/11, 12:07 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 600 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by 08GTCandyApple
Lee is that the pool at your house in your avatar?

Luckily no, I'd have to hire help to take car of that thing. Its the one at my place on the beach.
Old 6/11/11, 12:17 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by denlem
Hmmmm... A mountain lion was hit by a car and killed in Connecticut.
thats crazy

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Yeah but its a 'dry' chilly
hmpf lucky you...

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Luckily no, I'd have to hire help to take car of that thing. Its the one at my place on the beach.
omg so so so so lucky..........
Old 6/11/11, 12:23 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 1999Pony
Just saw this at work. Boy is it pretty
oh my my. Thats absolutely gorgeous!
Old 6/11/11, 12:34 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Anybody looking for a bone stock, low miles Mach 1?

Its an '03 auto, 18,000 miles, owned by a 76 year old man. I haven't seen it, A friend saw it at a car show in Athens, Ga. If any one is interested pm me for the contact info on it. He's asking $15,500

Old 6/11/11, 12:36 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
93° already, sunney and just stupid hot outside. Luckily I had the grass all cut by 10:30am. I want to fire hte smoker up, but hte turkey breast I have thawing is still like a bowling ball
Old 6/11/11, 12:46 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by Scothew
93° already, sunney and just stupid hot outside. Luckily I had the grass all cut by 10:30am. I want to fire hte smoker up, but hte turkey breast I have thawing is still like a bowling ball
Set it outside for a bit, it'll thaw pdq.
Old 6/11/11, 12:51 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sweet!! Miss St walk off HR!!
Old 6/11/11, 12:52 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
ok seanie is here....bye bye
Old 6/11/11, 01:52 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Sweet!! Miss St walk off HR!!
just saw that .. hoping someone from the sec will win it all again
Old 6/11/11, 02:08 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by BoogieNights
Ummm how bout tap them off your shoes first?

You can ask your dad for the money to get one Nathan. Just tell him that you are just trying to help him out by getting it for you guys.

First your b****ing about the heat now your b****ing about how cold it is. Is it that time of the month for you??

They are pine NEEDLES. They stick into my flip flops.

I'd end up buying the wrong one.

Hey, I was loving the heat! I was *****ing about our air conditioner, and even that wasn't so bad.

Just saw this at work. Boy is it pretty
I want.
Anybody looking for a bone stock, low miles Mach 1?

Its an '03 auto, 18,000 miles, owned by a 76 year old man. I haven't seen it, A friend saw it at a car show in Athens, Ga. If any one is interested pm me for the contact info on it. He's asking $15,500

I would die for a red mach 1. But if and when I ever get one, it'll have to be a 5spd.
Old 6/11/11, 02:26 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Set it outside for a bit, it'll thaw pdq.
Yea I'll pass on salmonella
Old 6/11/11, 03:46 PM
Post *****

Yea I'll pass on salmonella
I've used hot water then cold water baths in the sink for years and never been sick. Get it 2/3 to 3/4 thawed (whole turkey) and then let it sit a few hours or so in the fridge. Usually I start in the fridge a few days ahead of time, but sometimes I've quick thawed it too. The water baths kind of jump starts the thawing.
For whole chicken I do baths until they're almost thawed, cut them up (there's usually some ice still), then refrig. Pork loin chops, everything. Still in packaging or zip lock freezer bags.

But to be safe I've also started soaking whole chickens (I don't buy anything cut up) in salt brine for 5-10 mins like the old days because of so many 'unclean facilities' being reported.
And then I cook to temp - with a thermometer. Don't know if smokers bring them all the way up to temp though.

Then last week there's was a news bit that water baths doesn't increase bacteria growth as has been thought.

What is the safest way to thaw a frozen turkey?

The USDA recommends three ways to defrost turkeys: in the refrigerator, in cold water and in the microwave. Never defrost turkey on the counter or in other locations.
  • It's best to plan ahead for slow, safe thawing in the refrigerator. Allow about 1 day for every 5 pounds of turkey to thaw in the refrigerator.
  • Turkey may be defrosted in cold water in its airtight packaging or in a leak-proof bag. Submerge the bird or cut-up parts in cold water, changing the water every 30 minutes.
  • Turkey defrosted in the microwave should be cooked immediately after thawing because some areas of the food may become warm and begin to cook during microwaving. Holding partially cooked food is not recommended because any bacteria present wouldn't have been destroyed.
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Help/FAQs_H...tion/index.asp
Safe Thawing
FSIS recommends three ways to thaw chicken: in the refrigerator, in cold water and in the microwave. Never thaw chicken on the counter or in other locations. It's best to plan ahead for slow, safe thawing in the refrigerator. Boneless chicken breasts, bone-in parts, and whole chickens may take 1 to 2 days or longer to thaw. Once the raw chicken thaws, it can be kept in the refrigerator an additional day or two before cooking. During this time, if chicken thawed in the refrigerator is not used, it can safely be refrozen without cooking it first.

Chicken may be thawed in cold water in its airtight packaging or in a leak-proof bag. Submerge the bird or cut-up parts in cold water, changing the water every 30 minutes to be sure it stays cold. A whole (3 to 4-pound) broiler-fryer or package of parts should thaw in 2 to 3 hours. A 1-pound package of boneless breasts will thaw in an hour or less. Cook immediately after thawing.

Chicken thawed in the microwave should be cooked immediately after thawing because some areas of the food may become warm and begin to cook during microwaving. Holding partially cooked food is not recommended because any bacteria present wouldn't have been destroyed. Foods defrosted in the microwave or by the cold water method should be cooked before refreezing.

Do not cook frozen chicken in a slow cooker or in the microwave; thaw it before cooking). However, chicken can be cooked from the frozen state in the oven or on the stove. The cooking time may be about 50% longer.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/fact_sheets...e/index.asp#13

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/11/11 at 04:49 PM.
Old 6/11/11, 03:49 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

I've used hot water then cold water baths in the sink for years and never been sick. Get it 2/3 to 3/4 thawed (whole turkey) and then let it sit an hour or so in the fridge. For whole chicken I do baths until they're thawed, cut them up, then refrig. Pork roasts, everything.

Then last week there's was a news bit that water baths doesn't increase bacteria growth as has been though.
Yea it's all good, I'm about to bake some wings. Gonna let the turkey keep thawing in the fridge because once it's about half thawed it's going in a brine for about 18 hours
Old 6/11/11, 04:21 PM
Post *****

Yea it's all good, I'm about to bake some wings. Gonna let the turkey keep thawing in the fridge because once it's about half thawed it's going in a brine for about 18 hours
Having trouble finding the article I read... but I added the USDA links.

Ironically the only thing that have affected me the last several years is eggs. I always ate 'over easy' for years but now I pretty well have them with the yolk fully cooked or they'll go through me pretty quick. Kinda of dry but there's ketchup and hot sauce.

EDIT: Notice the key - the water bath is well under the 4 hr danger zone:

Study Reveals Quicker Method for Thawing Frozen Meat
By KitchenDaily Editors
Aimee Herring

We've got good news for last-minute cooks -- there's a new way to thaw frozen meat that A) will save you valuable time and B) won't destroy your meat.

Until now, your options for thawing and defrosting have been relatively limited. Because most busy cooks don't have the foresight to defrost meat in the refrigerator 24 hours in advance, it's not uncommon to arrive home from work and realize dinner is frozen hard as a rock. Until now, the only options have been to:

1. Thaw meat in cold water (40 degrees Fahrenheit or below), which can take hours. Or ...

2. Toss it in the microwave and "nuke" it, basically destroying the meat before you even give it a chance.

But now, Harold McGee has flagged a new study that suggests you thaw frozen meat in a hot water bath. The method claims to be fast and easy, and it doesn't compromise the quality of your meat. And better yet, this new method can defrost a steak in as little as 10 minutes.

Though this method hasn't officially been approved, it comes from a study sponsored by the Department of Agriculture, and has been published in the Journal of Food Science and in Food Control.

As part of this study, scientists in a U.S.D.A. test lab thawed more than 200 one-inch-thick beef strip loin steaks three ways, finding the following results:
Method: 37- to 40-degree F refrigerator - Thaw Time ...18 to 20 hours
..............Circulating water bath, 68 degrees F ............. 20 minutes
..............Hot water bath...........................................11 minutes

Cooks worried about meat sitting in the forbidden temperature "danger zone" needn't be worried. The danger zone rules state that food should never sit out between 41 and 135 degrees Fahrenheit in excess of four hours, or else bacteria will begin to rapidly multiply. So clearly, the 11-minute water bath will not breed any dangerous bacteria.

An added bonus to this new method? Scientists noticed that the water-thawed steaks actually leaked less than the air-thawed steaks.

Read more: http://www.kitchendaily.com/2011/06/...#ixzz1P0lB2ClK

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/11/11 at 05:06 PM.
Old 6/11/11, 04:26 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So we just had this thunderstorm put up and holy ****. I haven't seen rain go this sideways even in a hurricane. Its ridiculous. Lost power in the store and it was completely black. Crazy.
Old 6/11/11, 04:51 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Odd that you've been talking about smoking a turkey. I just walked out back to make sure the gate going into my property was locked and as I came up to the the road that leads in, several small birds took off out of the bushes and startled me. They only flew about 20 feet and went into a brush pile. Something seemed strange about it so I did a double take there sat a big hen just a few feet from where they landed. So I just froze and kept watching and realized the ones that flew off were her chicks. She had 6 with her. They came back out and started pecking around and she started preening like I wasn't even standing there 20 feet away. After a few minutes I just eased off real slow through the woods back toward the house to get the camera. I figured they would split after I left but I figured what the heck. Got the camera and headed back, and what do you know, they were still there..

You can see four of them here with her. I never could get all of them in one pic together...

If you look close you can see 5 of them here, the other one was trailing close to the hen in front of them

Old 6/11/11, 05:09 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

That's awesome Lee!
Old 6/11/11, 05:15 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Quickest way to thaw a frozen turkey - run it through a wash cycle in the dishwasher with no detergent. I think yhat is a "Hints From Heloise" trick. I have used this method 3 times. Leave the wrapper on the turkey
Old 6/11/11, 06:14 PM
Post *****

Odd that you've been talking about smoking a turkey.
Great shots Lee!

Turkey tidbits. My Dad said spring hunting was best when the oak leaves were about the size of a squirrel's ear. And that if turkey chicks get their feet wet, they'll die of pneumonia.

And Scott - meant to follow up with this on our posts about my Dad & I making turkey calls back in the 70's. Finally found it.
Apparently my Dad talked about them a lot at work. lol One of the guys there was a pretty good artist. He gave my Dad 2 24x36 pencil sketches. One of a gobbler, and one featuring my Dad's... ahem... calls. lol
As you can see he got the caricature pretty good!

Attached Thumbnails Mustangs Coast to Coast-dad-turkey-hunt.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 6/11/11, 06:26 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
So we just had this thunderstorm put up and holy ****. I haven't seen rain go this sideways even in a hurricane. Its ridiculous. Lost power in the store and it was completely black. Crazy.
Video?
Odd that you've been talking about smoking a turkey. I just walked out back to make sure the gate going into my property was locked and as I came up to the the road that leads in, several small birds took off out of the bushes and startled me. They only flew about 20 feet and went into a brush pile. Something seemed strange about it so I did a double take there sat a big hen just a few feet from where they landed. So I just froze and kept watching and realized the ones that flew off were her chicks. She had 6 with her. They came back out and started pecking around and she started preening like I wasn't even standing there 20 feet away. After a few minutes I just eased off real slow through the woods back toward the house to get the camera. I figured they would split after I left but I figured what the heck. Got the camera and headed back, and what do you know, they were still there..
I see turkey's all the time, but have never seen their chicks. That's pretty cool!

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast