Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
18.18%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/11, 12:09 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts

Mornin folks!
Old 6/8/11, 12:12 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I don't know about you, but it's afternoon here.
Old 6/8/11, 12:15 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Feels like mornin

I'm stuck at Discount Tire waiting to get a nail in a tire fixed for the wife.
Old 6/8/11, 12:41 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Awesome! There was some thought put into those babies.
And about 450,000 bucks worth of federal grant money

At least I can say one thing, I put your tax dollars to good use
Old 6/8/11, 12:49 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Feels like mornin

I'm stuck at Discount Tire waiting to get a nail in a tire fixed for the wife.
Still morning here. Time for a ham and egg scrambles wrapped up in a tortitty.
Old 6/8/11, 12:53 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Scothew
And about 450,000 bucks worth of federal grant money

At least I can say one thing, I put your tax dollars to good use
Wow. No wonder the community VFA is always doing fund raisers. Matching grants. lol The last 5 yrs they added an ambulence, upgraded rigs, and just finished a diesel generator for new fuel tanks. I never hear the politico's talking about how much grant money is in the budget, but it must be pretty huge.
Unfortunately, the few structure fires I've seen them at over the years, they let the place burn to the ground. They mainly work to keep it from spreading.
And although they would be first for any forest fire, that is usually taken over immediately by State & Fed crews and the bombers.
Their busiest activity is ambulence for highway accidents during winter ice and snow.
But they saved my bacon when my stallion ate me, so I help at all their fund raisers!

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/8/11 at 12:56 PM.
Old 6/8/11, 01:12 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Wow. No wonder the community VFA is always doing fund raisers. Matching grants. lol The last 5 yrs they added an ambulence, upgraded rigs, and just finished a diesel generator for new fuel tanks. I never hear the politico's talking about how much grant money is in the budget, but it must be pretty huge.
Unfortunately, the few structure fires I've seen them at over the years, they let the place burn to the ground. They mainly work to keep it from spreading.
And although they would be first for any forest fire, that is usually taken over immediately by State & Fed crews and the bombers.
Their busiest activity is ambulence for highway accidents during winter ice and snow.
But they saved my bacon when my stallion ate me, so I help at all their fund raisers!
Places like our department, we are incorporated so we get money off of each residents property taxes through the county. Also we have some natural gas companies that have wells in the area so they are a huge chunk of our yearly operating budget. To purchase trucks and gear we apply for the fema AFG (assistance to firefighters grant) each year. You can apply for a gear award and a truck award each year. We are I think still the only station in the country to get two identical trucks back to back in consecutive years. Its just unheard of. Before 2007 you couldnt apply for another truck if you had received one previously.

We just got new turnout gear as well off the 2009 grant and also 20 new airpacks.

the AFG grant requires a 10% match. Each of our trucks was 225k so we put out like 22k on each, well worth the money imo. I think our combined grants since we started is about 675k worth of trucks and gear. Mind you, this department has only been running since late 2003.

We do fundraisers through our association as well, but that goes to buy smaller things like personal streamlights for our volunteers and shirts etc, things that the bigger grants adn such cant really apply towards. But if your department isnt applying for grants through fema, they are missing out. Its well worth the time and effort to put together a narrative and try. All they can tell you is no http://www.fema.gov/firegrants/index.shtm

Last edited by Scothew; 6/8/11 at 01:16 PM.
Old 6/8/11, 01:12 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Sup TMSers? Made the switch from the tri-ax to the MGW shifter today. One hell of a difference. Really digging the MGW.
Old 6/8/11, 01:22 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Loraco
?this is where I will be all day!?
im on my way....

melting and cooking and dying here.....

http://www.wunderground.com/US/NJ/Caldwell.html ....91 and feels like 100.....
Old 6/8/11, 01:35 PM
Post *****

Places like our department, we are incorporated so we get money off of each residents property taxes through the county.
I always wondered why they are constantly fund raising. I mean besides maintenance, what was wrong with the older trucks? They weren't that old. Don't know, but I don't question (see I occassionally know how to keep my opinions to myself ).
They get grants from somewhere, don't know if its FEMA or not.

My area also has a special property tax for the local VFA fire & ems, plus another fee that is either County, State, or Fed. Not sure but there are only a few subdivisions and a resort here that are surrounded by Nat'l Forest. They say about 500 people but I don't think that many are year round. I'll call it a State fee.

I have 3 tax lots, one 5 acre and two 1 acre. So there's the 'Fire Patrol Surcharge + Timber' State fee on all three. But what's funny is the local VFA adds a pretty large fee on the homesite (understandable), but one of the 1 acre has a small shed - so it gets the fee, whereas the other 1 acre that has no building does not have the fee. I mean the shed is like 12x15 - its nothing, not a homesite, but I have to pay extra for it. lol I think its odd because the real fear here is forest fire so you would think they would add the local fee on each tax lot like they do the State fee.

Another anomoly is the gen will also run the (fairly new) deep well (another grant). Which probably is pretty slow filling the pumper trucks. But we're on a 100,000 ACRE fresh water lake!! The fire hall dang near sits on it! lol But ever since the 2001 Water Wars (Klamath Bucket Brigade defies Feds...) broke out between irrigators and the sucker fish and downriver tribes, I bet EPA or ESA would fine them if they draw water from the lake... while the forest burns.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/8/11 at 01:48 PM.
Old 6/8/11, 02:11 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

I always wondered why they are constantly fund raising. I mean besides maintenance, what was wrong with the older trucks? They weren't that old. Don't know, but I don't question (see I occassionally know how to keep my opinions to myself ).
They get grants from somewhere, don't know if its FEMA or not.

My area also has a special property tax for the local VFA fire & ems, plus another fee that is either County, State, or Fed. Not sure but there are only a few subdivisions and a resort here that are surrounded by Nat'l Forest. They say about 500 people but I don't think that many are year round. I'll call it a State fee.

I have 3 tax lots, one 5 acre and two 1 acre. So there's the 'Fire Patrol Surcharge + Timber' State fee on all three. But what's funny is the local VFA adds a pretty large fee on the homesite (understandable), but one of the 1 acre has a small shed - so it gets the fee, whereas the other 1 acre that has no building does not have the fee. I mean the shed is like 12x15 - its nothing, not a homesite, but I have to pay extra for it. lol I think its odd because the real fear here is forest fire so you would think they would add the local fee on each tax lot like they do the State fee.

Another anomoly is the gen will also run the (fairly new) deep well (another grant). Which probably is pretty slow filling the pumper trucks. But we're on a 100,000 ACRE fresh water lake!! The fire hall dang near sits on it! lol But ever since the 2001 Water Wars (Klamath Bucket Brigade defies Feds...) broke out between irrigators and the sucker fish and downriver tribes, I bet EPA or ESA would fine them if they draw water from the lake... while the forest burns.
Hmm its different all around hte country. In the northeast, fire departments are huge parts of the community, those guys get the best gear and equipment possible, even if its a FD that covers 1 sq mile. They are all decked out, but its because the community backs them big time. They dont ever have to apply for grants either, cause they 1) already have the stuff they want and 2) would be knocked out of the compeition for grant money due to all of their stuff being so new and abundant

Im not sure on the shed fee.. that sounds a bit over the top, but we do charge boat house and other structure fee's.. well we dont, the county does, its added into their property tax.

I find it hard to believe that they cant draw water from a large lake. Filling off a well is using the same water tabel The beauty of our tankers is taht they are self servicing, you dont need a hydrant or engine with a pump to draft water and pump into the tank. I can pull up to any free standing water source and drain it dry Acctually I can hook it up to a hydrant, and could acctually blow out the lines in the area if i tried to use the vacuum pump on them. they might get a tad mad.

Last edited by Scothew; 6/8/11 at 02:12 PM.
Old 6/8/11, 02:16 PM
Post *****

Acctually I can hook it up to a hydrant, and could acctually blow out the lines in the area if i tried to use the vacuum pump on them. they might get a tad mad.

Property taxes are super high in OR (no sales tax), coupled with a crap economy in the rural Counties, so there's a constant battle not to add further. (Jail levy just failed even though 2/3 capacity is now closed because there's no more money.) In fact they passed a limitation several years ago because it is so outrageous per 1k. They can only raise up to 3%/yr - and even in the recent "deflation years" they still took 3% more.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/8/11 at 02:20 PM.
Old 6/8/11, 03:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I think I'm starting to dig the "no chin spoiler" look...
Attached Images  
Old 6/8/11, 03:24 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Neither have I.
Good luck and stay safe!

Might get up to 80 here today. Another reason to love MN. The weather is different every day of the week.

I woke up this morning to my dad having my brother practice his baseball pitching. Where was his target? THREE FEET IN FRONT OF MY CAR!!! Why can't people just use their brains?!!!
Already and been there man, I'm tired of it and I got 3.5 more months to go =(
Record heat for Thursday and then upper 60's for Sunday. Welcome to New England!
Old 6/8/11, 03:25 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Fuel stuff freaks me out. I think I'll still take it in and have them look it over. If it's something simple I could probably do it myself.
dont be a pansy nathan, you'd have to try purposely for it to explode, but knowing your ways of working on your cars, you wouldn't be able to set fire to it anyway.

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
It wasn't nipple chaffing was it? Because what's that starts it only gets worse.
I've had some of that ****. I wear a shirt to lessen my sunburn when out in the ocean, but it's been pretty chilly, so it's killing the nips.

Originally Posted by codeman94
I think I'm starting to dig the "no chin spoiler" look...
looks awesome cody!
Old 6/8/11, 03:28 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
sup peeps?

I feel like Lee a bit here, been at the beach all week. Weather is absolutely f'n perfect, mid 80's and sunny everyday with a nice breeze. Stupendous beach weather! Been playing alot of games and cards, and I've gotten mucho better at body surfing waves. Ocean has been quite rewarding!

Hate to see the week end honestly. But then I can hopefully get back to work, and get some money to work on the Mustang. She needs some goodies.
Old 6/8/11, 03:29 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
dont be a pansy nathan, you'd have to try purposely for it to explode, but knowing your ways of working on your cars, you wouldn't be able to set fire to it anyway.
If its any thing like that exhaust bolt, the fire department would have about 3 weeks head start to get there before he even got a spark.
Old 6/8/11, 03:37 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
After 2 years you still won't give up about that **** nut. How the hell would I ever live down blowing up the entire car? Stupid stuff is always happening to me. I can only wonder why...
Old 6/8/11, 04:18 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
If its any thing like that exhaust bolt, the fire department would have about 3 weeks head start to get there before he even got a spark.
Old 6/8/11, 05:31 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After 2 years you still won't give up about that **** nut. How the hell would I ever live down blowing up the entire car? Stupid stuff is always happening to me. I can only wonder why...
Maybe you should change your fuel filter and maybe in might make a dent in it

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast