2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 Mustang Articles

Search this Thread

Old 8/17/12, 10:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So if the key Mustang elements are as they mentioned " Long nose, short rear deck and rear wheel drive, then it sounds like we are getting a over weight Fox.

Well, So much for the Icon. Based on that description it is nothing I will ever want.

Last edited by Brewman; 8/17/12 at 10:30 AM.
Old 8/17/12, 10:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

At least this article says it will keep round head lights and the Triple Bar tail lights. That is good. I think an open grill is still important but maybe change the shape so it is not so "RETRO" ( still hate that term)

The really interesting thing is they say that Mustang is losing sales to Challenger and Camaro. If those two aren't retro I will eat my Lap top.

http://www.stangnet.com/2012/04/23/2...to-retro-look/

Last edited by Brewman; 8/17/12 at 01:25 PM.
Old 8/17/12, 01:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Brewman
At least this article says it will keep round head lights and the Triple Bar tail lights. That is good. I think an open grill is still important but maybe change the shape so it is not so "RETRO" ( still hate that term)

The really interesting thing is they say that Mustang is losing sales to Challenger and Camaro. If those two aren't retro I will eat my Lap top.

http://www.stangnet.com/2012/04/23/2...to-retro-look/
I don't think the challenger is stealing many mustang sales. The main competition as always is the camaro. Ford needs to realize that the pony car monopoly of 2003-2009 is over and the mustang will have to be given lower sales expectations. Much of these sales will be totally based on brand loyalty, the current mustang clearly outperforms the competition despite lower sales. The same thing happened to GM during the 4th Gen fbody vs sn95. I know gM and mopar fans that bought mustangs because it was the only ticket in town they know own camaros and challengers
Old 8/17/12, 01:51 PM
GT Member

I can live with a highly modified platform if that platform includes high strength steel and lightweight materials everywhere else.
Old 8/17/12, 03:56 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sales are up 19% this year, so something has went Ford's way since the refresh. They need to carry that momentum into the redesign.
Old 8/17/12, 05:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Liquid
I can live with a highly modified platform if that platform includes high strength steel and lightweight materials everywhere else.
I agree look at the sn95, it's hard to imagine it is a modified fox body
Old 8/17/12, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Brewman
So if the key Mustang elements are as they mentioned " Long nose, short rear deck and rear wheel drive, then it sounds like we are getting a over weight Fox.

Well, So much for the Icon. Based on that description it is nothing I will ever want.
Do you like the Mustang now?

Have you ever liked the Mustang? Because EVERY Mustang EVER made was "long hood, short deck' rear wheel drive".
Old 8/17/12, 08:31 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
If weight is not shed from this car, count me out. Mustang is too fracking huge.
You will probably be a little disappointed, especially if the car goes global and has to conform to euro pedestrian standards with a V8 (and supercharged V8) powertrain.

Ford will probably be able to trim some weight but the size and the styling of the car will need to be balanced against hood and cowl heights which effect the belt line and wheel size.

I'm sure someone will pointlessly chime in about the cowl height on the toyobarus being really low but again thats a function of having a 2L boxer motor under the hood (a 5L boxer motor might be pretty neat but very un Mustang)
Old 8/17/12, 08:35 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bob

You will probably be a little disappointed, especially if the car goes global and has to conform to euro pedestrian standards with a V8 (and supercharged V8) powertrain.

Ford will probably be able to trim some weight but the size and the styling of the car will need to be balanced against hood and cowl heights which effect the belt line and wheel size.

I'm sure someone will pointlessly chime in about the cowl height on the toyobarus being really low but again thats a function of having a 2L boxer motor under the hood (a 5L boxer motor might be pretty neat but very un Mustang)
What exactly are the euro pedestrian standards? Does the cowl need need to be a certain height? I tried googling this and failed.
Old 8/17/12, 10:14 PM
Cobra R Member

What exactly are the euro pedestrian standards? Does the cowl need need to be a certain height? I tried googling this and failed.
I think it has something to do with being safe enough if a pedestrian is hit. The Hood crumples so it can minimize damage to a person hit by the car
Old 8/18/12, 05:27 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I think it has something to do with being safe enough if a pedestrian is hit. The Hood crumples so it can minimize damage to a person hit by the car
This, the hood becomes an energy absorbing structure. I'm sure I've read a minimum cowl height as well ( went Googling myself to find it) but can't remember where I read it( C&D, R&T, or TTAC comes to mind).

To be honest, I don't mind the current size of the car - yes its the largest heaviest Mustang ever but as far as pony cars go its been my best riding most comfortable one ( and the best handling and braking of the bunch as well).

It would be nice to see the next car lose a generous amount of weight but I'd hate to see it lose the amount of useful interior volume it has now or end up with quirky styling in an effort to preserve that volume and still shrink the car. IMO of course.
Old 8/18/12, 05:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Do you like the Mustang now?

Have you ever liked the Mustang? Because EVERY Mustang EVER made was "long hood, short deck' rear wheel drive".
I'm just saying if you boil it down to those elements and those elements alone a Mustang could be almost anything including a camaro, challenger corvette ect.

I happen to think there is MORE to a Mustang than Just those three things.

Last edited by Brewman; 8/18/12 at 05:44 AM.
Old 8/18/12, 05:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bob
This, the hood becomes an energy absorbing structure. I'm sure I've read a minimum cowl height as well ( went Googling myself to find it) but can't remember where I read it( C&D, R&T, or TTAC comes to mind).

To be honest, I don't mind the current size of the car - yes its the largest heaviest Mustang ever but as far as pony cars go its been my best riding most comfortable one ( and the best handling and braking of the bunch as well).

It would be nice to see the next car lose a generous amount of weight but I'd hate to see it lose the amount of useful interior volume it has now or end up with quirky styling in an effort to preserve that volume and still shrink the car. IMO of course.
I you look at the new VWs you can see the nose has been flattened out to distribute impact over a larger area.
Old 8/18/12, 05:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I don't think the challenger is stealing many mustang sales. The main competition as always is the camaro. Ford needs to realize that the pony car monopoly of 2003-2009 is over and the mustang will have to be given lower sales expectations. Much of these sales will be totally based on brand loyalty, the current mustang clearly outperforms the competition despite lower sales. The same thing happened to GM during the 4th Gen fbody vs sn95. I know gM and mopar fans that bought mustangs because it was the only ticket in town they know own camaros and challengers
I agree Completely. As soon a the Camaro was release there were people that dropped there stang to get the Camaro ( Firebird ) they had been waiting for all that time.
However my friend was ready to replace his Firebird ( His total dream car bought and drove for over 150k Miles + until his Mechanic said it was time to let it go.) and looked at the Camaro as the Fire was no longer available. After test driving the Camaro he bought a Mustang

Last edited by Brewman; 8/18/12 at 05:51 AM.
Old 8/23/12, 11:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AutoWeek Article: Remaking The Mustang

Sorry if this has already been posted.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...n=awdailydrive
Old 8/23/12, 12:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
thanks I haven't seen it
Old 8/23/12, 12:54 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It looks to have been posted today.
It really does nothing but repeat any rumours out on the internet right now.
Old 8/23/12, 01:15 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
get ready for sales to plummet ..
Old 8/23/12, 01:29 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Let's all wait to see it first before we start the chicken little routine.
Old 8/23/12, 03:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Let's all wait to see it first before we start the chicken little routine.

Agreed. None of these concepts matter until we see the real car.

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang Articles