2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 Mustang Articles

Old 8/9/12, 08:14 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
With most of the (non-US) competition (Audi/BMW etc) going with turbos.....the next M3 is rumoured to be a twin turbo six cylinder, it'll be nice for Ford to stick with NA

And you're right about power not being everthing. Just as an example, the Top Gear USA test of the Roush Stage 3 and the Boss 302 had the lower powered Boss getting a much quicker time around the track. Power.....and what you can do with it in a decent chassis prove that.
Old 8/9/12, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody offended at the idea of a 4-banger turbo Mustang pushing 250-300hp as a base model, obviously doesn't remember the awful 3.8L V6 pushing 150hp we were stuck with for 5 years! Not to mention the 4.6L V8 pushing 215hp lol. These are the glory days for sure.
Old 8/9/12, 02:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
With most of the (non-US) competition (Audi/BMW etc) going with turbos.....the next M3 is rumoured to be a twin turbo six cylinder, it'll be nice for Ford to stick with NA
I might be biased but I think that is all the more reason for ford to go with forced induction on the base engine. When developed right (and everybody seems to think the ecoboost family of engines are) the result is more low end torque and comparable horsepower to a higher displacement NA engine while being better on fuel. win, win, win.
Old 8/9/12, 03:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by xlover
I might be biased but I think that is all the more reason for ford to go with forced induction on the base engine. When developed right (and everybody seems to think the ecoboost family of engines are) the result is more low end torque and comparable horsepower to a higher displacement NA engine while being better on fuel. win, win, win.
Unless you're a teenager who equates the size of their engine to, ummm, you know. The engine on the base model has been a afterthought for a long time, and a strong stigma developed against the base model cars as not a "real mustang." That' s starting to change with the 3.7L and the Performance Pack, but still for the most part base model Mustangs sell for looks more than sell for great engines. So any change that can improve the performance and fuel of that engine I think will be a big hit.

Last edited by jedikd; 8/9/12 at 03:29 PM.
Old 8/9/12, 04:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a little bit scare of turbocharged engines. Are they more reliable now?
Old 8/9/12, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nothing scary about turbos. At least not factory turbos. They are actually pretty gentle on engines compared to positive displacement SC. The biggest issues with turbos is if people over rev their engine which they tend to do with turbo install. I doubt it will happen but a twin turbo V6 would be an ideal engine for my next Mustang. A friend of mine is getting 500rw torque on his eco boost F150.
Old 8/9/12, 06:13 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 908ssp
Nothing scary about turbos. At least not factory turbos. They are actually pretty gentle on engines compared to positive displacement SC. The biggest issues with turbos is if people over rev their engine which they tend to do with turbo install. I doubt it will happen but a twin turbo V6 would be an ideal engine for my next Mustang. A friend of mine is getting 500rw torque on his eco boost F150.
This. If it is a factory turbo set up, it should be built to last. Ford wouldn't produce it if it wasn't built to handle the turbo. Now if it wasn't designed to be a turbo motor, I wouldn't think of installing one.
Old 8/9/12, 06:44 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by newpony
Won't help to be scared anyway, it's the way most manufacturers are going unfortunately to meet CAFE. I just hope that they all keep one model option with high displacement NA engine.
Old 8/9/12, 07:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

The reason I ask is because it seems the car with the must mechanical problems are turbocharge engines. Think VW, Audi, BMWs, Subaru WRX STI, Mitsubishi Evolution. Even the Porsche Turbo seems to be the most problematic. Have not heard anything about Ford Ecoboost but the engine is kind of new.
Old 8/9/12, 07:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 05mustangman

Yes the 4.0 was replaced with the 3.7 and gets better power and gas mileage but it's still the fact that it is still a v6 not a 4 cylinder. We all seen how the SVO went with the 4 cylinders, didn't last too long. And not talking about the 5.0 losing power talking about the 5.8. It's already been said they don't expect the new generation car to have 662 hp. So there is more than likely going to be a power drop with the 5.8 if it is continued to the new Mustang. I'm all for these cars having more power and gas mileage but dropping the v6 and going to turbo 4's might not last long again. With the 5.4 I've got I can get almost 24 MPG with over 550HP. Now that is amazing.

I still think there is a lot left in the v6 in terms of power and gas mileage. Can you imagine someone pulling up next to you in your new Mustang and asking what you got under the hood, And you say "Yea it's got a 4 cylinder", people are aren't gonna take that seriously. What happened to the Mustang being a muscle car? Now it's gas mileage this gas mileage that.
Where do you drive to get 24? I've never seen 24.
Old 8/9/12, 08:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Where do you drive to get 24? I've never seen 24.
I've gotten that MPG going to Vegas and back to Phoenix. That was on the trip up. On the trip back, partially down hill I was able to average 31 MPG. That was incredible, but granted some was downhill.
Old 8/9/12, 08:52 PM
V6 Member

The reason I ask is because it seems the car with the must mechanical problems are turbocharge engines. Think VW, Audi, BMWs, Subaru WRX STI, Mitsubishi Evolution. Even the Porsche Turbo seems to be the most problematic. Have not heard anything about Ford Ecoboost but the engine is kind of new.
Compared to NA engines of course they'll have a higher incident of issues on average for the simple fact that there are additional parts. The more parts, the more chances for something to break. But FI engines these days compared to ones from years past are so much more reliable.
Old 8/10/12, 02:09 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
We've owned two turbocharged cars.......first was my Z32 300zx and the turbo seals were starting to leak at 60k miles. Seems the only option was to replace them.............or sell the car. So I sold it

Second is our currently family wagon, the Ford Galaxy turbo diesel. Bought secondhand with 150k on the clock, but we've already had to replace the turbo after if failed. That was messy. And expensive.

So, for me, turbo charged cars are great. Just ensure you factor in replacement costs further down the line. Ironically, those big costs will be when the car is worth a lot let money, so sooner or later it will not be cost effective

I chose my current daily driver (e46 BMW 330i Petrol) over the diesel equivilent as at 100k plus, the diesel's turbo WILL fail. Not if, but when.....and again, they're very expensive to replace.

So, a nice N/A 100+bhp/litre please, Ford
Old 8/10/12, 06:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jedikd
Anybody offended at the idea of a 4-banger turbo Mustang pushing 250-300hp as a base model, obviously doesn't remember the awful 3.8L V6 pushing 150hp we were stuck with for 5 years! Not to mention the 4.6L V8 pushing 215hp lol. These are the glory days for sure.
My 4.6 was 260 HP stock and a K and N filter bumped that up a hair and improved Throttle respond by a factor of 10. Don't knock the 4.6 it was great engine. I could grab in 1st,2nd and 3rd and the thing got 28 + MPG with two people and the trunk and back seat were full for a Vacation trip.

Last edited by Brewman; 8/10/12 at 08:19 AM.
Old 8/10/12, 06:59 AM
GTR Member

I think a realistic goal would be roughly a 88-92 hp/L for the GT, and a 115-125hp/L target for the SVT car. Keep in mind, the final engines might be smaller, so you wouldn't be talking the same figures we were with the Trinity motor.
Old 8/10/12, 08:23 PM
GT Member

Heat kills engines. Not turbos. Not supercharges.
Old 8/13/12, 02:35 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, with synthetic oils, water cooling, and better engineering reliability is much improved compared to earlier factory efforts.

Seems to me cooked bearings were the big problem back in the 80's attributable to using dino oil and non-water cooled turbos that baked the oil causing a coking problem in the bearings plus heat-exchangers were fancy stuff back then when it came to the pressure side of things.
Old 8/13/12, 03:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I think a realistic goal would be roughly a 88-92 hp/L for the GT, and a 115-125hp/L target for the SVT car. Keep in mind, the final engines might be smaller, so you wouldn't be talking the same figures we were with the Trinity motor.
Not sure what you're referring to here, but when you say smaller engine, Do you mean displacement?
Old 8/13/12, 04:29 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by TTS197

Not sure what you're referring to here, but when you say smaller engine, Do you mean displacement?
Yeah, displacement. Doesn't mean you couldn't aim for a higher hp/L figure on a smaller V8 to keep things interesting.
Old 8/13/12, 04:40 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
Yes, with synthetic oils, water cooling, and better engineering reliability is much improved compared to earlier factory efforts.

Seems to me cooked bearings were the big problem back in the 80's attributable to using dino oil and non-water cooled turbos that baked the oil causing a coking problem in the bearings plus heat-exchangers were fancy stuff back then when it came to the pressure side of things.
That's what I remember.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang Articles