2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 Mustang Articles

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/12, 09:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think Ford needs new special editions since there is so many to draw upon. Bullitt, Mach 1,boss, svt cobra, gt500, svo. California special ... I agree Ford can go in a new direction but I hope like in past years it's styling is unique and not like other fords. To be honest I'm not liking the new Ford designs... the new Taurus, fusion, escape, fiesta and focus are not the best looking cars IMO
Old 7/31/12, 09:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I think the Fusion is the best of the bunch. The Focus/Fiesta/Escape look like two different designers designed the front and back. I'd say Kias are emulating a lot of Ford styling cues, and doing a better job at bringing the cues together in more cohesive designs...
Old 7/31/12, 11:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm tired of the fake rear gas cap emblem and it really does look redundant when the real fuel filler is on the rear quarter panel. Just a nice running horse centered with or without a tri-bar should be enough. Actually a running horse that lights up with a red LED outline around it at night would be kind of nice. I prefer the license plate to stay low in the bumper to keep things above it clean looking.
Old 8/1/12, 08:10 AM

If Ford does do some special edition Mustangs, how about NOT always dredging up from the past as if there aren't great things going on with the Mustang TODAY. It just gives the impression that the Mustang is a car living in and of the past if its constantly plucking the heartstrings of aging baby boomers pining for some golden days of their youths.

Sure, Boss, Bullitt and Mach I are great and storied monikers, but how about something fresh too, to indicate that the Mustang is very much a car of today and tomorrow, not only yesterday. This is especially true for wooing newer younger buyers who are critical to keeping the Mustang a viable car into the future.
Old 8/1/12, 08:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
If Ford does do some special edition Mustangs, how about NOT always dredging up from the past as if there aren't great things going on with the Mustang TODAY. It just gives the impression that the Mustang is a car living in and of the past if its constantly plucking the heartstrings of aging baby boomers pining for some golden days of their youths.

Sure, Boss, Bullitt and Mach I are great and storied monikers, but how about something fresh too, to indicate that the Mustang is very much a car of today and tomorrow, not only yesterday. This is especially true for wooing newer younger buyers who are critical to keeping the Mustang a viable car into the future.
What would you suggest?
Old 8/1/12, 08:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about:
2015 Mustang ST
2015 Mustang GT
2015 Mustang Titanium
2015 Mustang Cobra

Last edited by Topnotch; 8/1/12 at 08:59 AM.
Old 8/1/12, 08:51 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Topnotch
How about:
ST
GT
Titanium
Cobra
I don't think ST fits in with the NA plan. How about:

Base
GT
GTS
GTxxx
Old 8/1/12, 09:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

ST Focus and ST Fiesta are US Bound
Old 8/1/12, 09:02 AM
GTR Member

Yes, but they are a Euro bred, top trim performance variant of a base car. To call a base Mustang it wouldn't seem to fit. I doubt they'll use the same trims as the rest of the lineup, just like they haven't been doing recently.
Old 8/1/12, 09:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Overboost
Yes, but they are a Euro bred, top trim performance variant of a base car. To call a base Mustang it wouldn't seem to fit. I doubt they'll use the same trims as the rest of the lineup, just like they haven't been doing recently.
But the Stang will be in Europe in 2015
Old 8/1/12, 10:07 AM
GTR Member

But the Stang will be in Europe in 2015
That hasn't been confirmed yet, and they could always do something similar to what they do now in Mexico; call it by some other trim.

Not saying you're wrong, just throwing another perspective out there.
Old 8/1/12, 06:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

And also both sport EcoBoost I-4s, unless that's what you're implying....
Old 8/1/12, 06:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Or Ford decides to do something creative and come up with a whole new special edition like they did with the SVO.
Old 8/1/12, 07:34 PM
Cobra R Member

I don't see using old special edition names as being a bad thing. It's not like the current Boss 302 shares any of the engineering from the original 1969-71 models to confuse the buyer. I'm not a baby boomer and I love the fact that Ford started bringing back the old special edition names.... In a way the 1993 SVT Cobra is paying homage to the original Shelby Mustangs. I absolutly fell in love with the 2003-04 Mach1 and don't see it as a negative... The 2003 Mach1 pulled it off perfectly. It still had a fairly modern look like all 1999-04 Mustangs but the Mach1 side and hood stripes with that awesome shaker hood scoop rocked!

As long as the car performs at a high level for the right price it should sell the name shouldn't play a role in that. I just think they should stay true to what the original models were made for...

GT500: The most powerful best overall balance of comfort, performance
Boss: A street legal track car that proves it can hang with Euro sport coupes
Mach1: A practical, fun toy to take to the drag strip
SVO: a balanced euro feeling Mustang, it's main objective should be handling and not necessarily power.

These are all retro names that have been revived at some point except the SVO which I think should return for the European market. They all have a place if Ford markets them right I personally don't find a new SE necessary at this time unless it has some new purpose that hasn't been though of before.

Last edited by 97GT03SVT; 8/1/12 at 07:36 PM.
Old 8/1/12, 08:11 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
2015 Mustang Cobra
Pass and the reasons are obvious and have been extensively debated here (as the search engine will show).

Although perhaps out of respect to Carroll Shelby and his legend (tarnished though it maybe) perhaps 2013 should be the last of the Shelby branded GT500s (besides this has given us further reason to splinter the Shelby brand) - you have the 67 and below contingent that asserts no Shelby after 67 is a real Shelby and now you can have the pre and post death Shelby contingents with the 2013 and below owners laying claim to the crown by saying they had some tenuous connection to Carroll Shelby through his input and the post 2013 cars are devoid of this connection and can never be true Shelby Mustangs

But fear not Cobra loyalist, the name will yet return as soon as Ford fears losing it as a trademark (which is one of the reasons why they marketed a "cobra" Mustang)

Personally I dont have a problem recycling GT500 or Bullitt or Boss or Mach1 or SVO as long as the cars have substance and truly represent thier respective names - Porsche certainly doesn't have a problem recycling carrera or S or GT# RS# or Turbo or what have you.

I'd rather Ford apply the moniker to an actual Cobra sports car, its shame Ford lost the use of GT40 because they should have engaged in the same silliness by marketing a GT40 Mustang.
Old 8/1/12, 08:38 PM
GTR Member

Makes you wonder if they had some contingency plan for when he passed away.

I wonder if SVT will take their Mustang in a new direction the same way the Raptor was such a huge departure from the Lightning. Seems like the timing would be right. Maybe not as radical a departure, but maybe more of a "Super Boss LS". Something with a power bump and even more handling prowess that can hold its own on track well beyond something like a ZL1 or M3.
Old 8/1/12, 09:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Makes you wonder if they had some contingency plan for when he passed away.

I wonder if SVT will take their Mustang in a new direction the same way the Raptor was such a huge departure from the Lightning. Seems like the timing would be right. Maybe not as radical a departure, but maybe more of a "Super Boss LS". Something with a power bump and even more handling prowess that can hold its own on track well beyond something like a ZL1 or M3.
How about a new cobra r! Limited edition pull out all the stops track monster!
Old 8/1/12, 09:58 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT

How about a new cobra r! Limited edition pull out all the stops track monster!
I approve of this post.
Old 8/2/12, 01:06 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb

With that thinking you might as well call the next Mustang a Probe instead...
Old 8/2/12, 07:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Anyone catch this did-bit?

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2012/0...-2015-mustang/

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang Articles