2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 Mustang Articles

Search this Thread

Old 5/7/12, 09:19 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ripstang
Evolving is what Mustang has done well, you don't get to last this long without change. I still love my S197 and will keep it but it has to change to keep pace with the market.

As long as there is some heritage in the car as it goes' along it will all be good.
And then you have Porche which has the same basic look as the early models....how they evolve the same lines to make a gorgeous car MY after MY, blows my mind. Ford makes a whole different car each MY change.
Old 5/7/12, 09:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If its based off the EVO concept... ill have a 2011, then 4 years from now, a newgen ... both under my carport...
Old 7/10/12, 07:30 PM
V6 Member

As long as they keep the mustang look. Its one of the more iconic cars that go down the road and as long as you can pick a mustang out of a crowd from a mile away for the "15 model it'll be okay
Old 7/17/12, 09:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by youngstang90
And then you have Porche which has the same basic look as the early models....how they evolve the same lines to make a gorgeous car MY after MY, blows my mind. Ford makes a whole different car each MY change.
Ford uses "focus groups" to look at and ultimately select the new design, by telling Ford what they, as potential customers, think of the design.

Porsche talks to the owners...
Old 7/18/12, 06:13 PM
Cobra R Member

I think it is important to keep in mind Porsche and to a lesser extent the Corvette sell in much smaller numbers so they don't need to change as much. I think if Ford used the same approach the retro style would really lose it's uniqueness. I know in my neighborhood 1999-04 cars still seem to be everywhere despite being two body styles old I could only imagine if the 05-13 cars were similar. I think if they do stay retro I hope it is very different looking from the current car... perhaps 1969-70 influence with maybe a dash of 71-73
Old 7/23/12, 06:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 to loose faux gas cap...still have running pony...think jag xk
Old 7/23/12, 10:59 PM
GT Member

I think for my generation, the gen y as they put it, they will do more of user interface for everything as seen in myford. Less dials, switches and buttons but more touch screen is what I see in the interior.

Exterior, the mustang has a look that everyone knows and I can't see it detracting from that. The tri bar tail lights, the long hood/small rear, the sloping lines, those are mustang qualities that must stay to be mustang. The panels in between are different. Although ford may look to focus groups, they will look at sales and ultimately owners. What happened to the "diaper" in the 10-12 that's been pulled from the 13?
Old 7/23/12, 11:03 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Topnotch
Or sn95
Old 7/23/12, 11:36 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Interesting......the XK is also a hatch......with a high place license plate.....or am I reading too much into that

[img][/img]
Old 7/24/12, 08:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo

Interesting......the XK is also a hatch......with a high place license plate.....or am I reading too much into that

[/IMG]
It actually makes the most sense. Look at the 69-72 Fastback, high rear end. If you think about it the XK is a near perfect, Porsche like evolution of those late 60's early 70's Mustangs. A less expensive XKR? Yes please!
Old 7/24/12, 12:50 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Guess they may have got this bit right then?

Old 7/25/12, 10:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Agreed, the 911s design is simply amazing. I miss my 997S..

I think it is important to keep in mind Porsche and to a lesser extent the Corvette sell in much smaller numbers so they don't need to change as much. I think if Ford used the same approach the retro style would really lose it's uniqueness. I know in my neighborhood 1999-04 cars still seem to be everywhere despite being two body styles old I could only imagine if the 05-13 cars were similar. I think if they do stay retro I hope it is very different looking from the current car... perhaps 1969-70 influence with maybe a dash of 71-73
Also agree, but in addition to the price point of the vehicles. People who spend 100k on a car don't want to have a car thats out of date just 5yrs. later.

Last edited by Dave07997S; 7/25/12 at 10:51 PM.
Old 7/26/12, 06:13 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had Ford decided to go an evolutionary route back in the late 70s when they introduced the first Fox bodies, it might be different today. Unfortunately, you have two distinct "styles" of Mustang; the 65-70 & 05-14 cars, and the 79-04 cars. Sure, there are a few elements that carried across them all, but IMO, the styling is two polar opposites.

I'm a huge fan of the 05-14 cars, and I wish there was a way to evolve the design and move it forward. Retro can't continue forever, but, as others have suggested, cars like the 911 and Corvette have done a nice job of keeping the DNA through each generation.
Old 7/26/12, 07:02 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think they'll do us wrong, but I think a change is needed.
I love the look of the 2013s, but the 2005-2014 are cut from the same cloth
(a cloth I love)
but it IS long in the tooth.

DNA will be carried through, but I have a feeling this will be something we haven't seen before. A big shakeup (its needed to pull in the younger folk)....
We're too fixated on emulating current vehicles and concepts.
I don't think it'll be like that at all. Maybe certain lines or design queues.

I'm really excited, but I don't doubt that people who love the current design may not like it...this happens ALL the time.
Some people just don't like change. (and you know what happens to those people)

Last edited by Boomer; 7/26/12 at 07:03 AM.
Old 7/27/12, 08:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Had Ford decided to go an evolutionary route back in the late 70s when they introduced the first Fox bodies, it might be different today. Unfortunately, you have two distinct "styles" of Mustang; the 65-70 & 05-14 cars, and the 79-04 cars. Sure, there are a few elements that carried across them all, but IMO, the styling is two polar opposites.

I'm a huge fan of the 05-14 cars, and I wish there was a way to evolve the design and move it forward. Retro can't continue forever, but, as others have suggested, cars like the 911 and Corvette have done a nice job of keeping the DNA through each generation.
I don't think 1979-93 cars should be lumped together with the 1994-04 cars. I know they share a lot of the same platform parts but as far as styling goes they are completely different. In my opinion the 1999-04 cars are a perfect blend of retro and modern styling. I'm not saying that Ford should bring back the new edge style but do something along the same lines. Though it was a modern design for its time it still had some retro cues (pony in grille, tri-bar tail lamps, profile, the interior was very retro too). I would like to see Ford to go away from the retro mostly because Chevy and Dodge ripped off Ford so much with the retro styled cars.

I think the Mustang will be unique again if they stray away from what the competition is doing. I thought the retro style was a great move back in 2005 when there was nothing else like it, now with the Challenger and Camaro making their own retro pony cars I think it is time Ford once again stays a step ahead of the competition and give us a blend of 4th and 5th gen... or something totally new for the new platform.

Last edited by 97GT03SVT; 7/27/12 at 08:48 AM.
Old 7/27/12, 09:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT

I don't think 1979-93 cars should be lumped together with the 1994-04 cars. I know they share a lot of the same platform parts but as far as styling goes they are completely different. In my opinion the 1999-04 cars are a perfect blend of retro and modern styling. I'm not saying that Ford should bring back the new edge style but do something along the same lines. Though it was a modern design for its time it still had some retro cues (pony in grille, tri-bar tail lamps, profile, the interior was very retro too). I would like to see Ford to go away from the retro mostly because Chevy and Dodge ripped off Ford so much with the retro styled cars.

I think the Mustang will be unique again if they stray away from what the competition is doing. I thought the retro style was a great move back in 2005 when there was nothing else like it, now with the Challenger and Camaro making their own retro pony cars I think it is time Ford once again stays a step ahead of the competition and give us a blend of 4th and 5th gen... or something totally new for the new platform.
Exactly right. On all notes. The original Fox body I happen to really like a lot, though, because it's simple, small and has great visibility.

Now back on to your topic. The SN95 started out the trend of doing something new with something old. Even in 94 with the sideways tri bar. I didn't care, it was a tri bar just sideways. Let's see, I was 11 in 1994 and I still thought it was cool. The vertical tri bar was fine as well. I think the SN95 is still today the most "evolutionary" model. It even had the double hump dash. The Bullitt was pretty much a success with retro themed shift ****, gauges and wheels. The Mach 1 was a success. The more I think about it the SN95 is a very successful Mustang. On the numbers one of the most. Performance can be changed with a little time and some new bracing.

I like all of the S197 models, but no one was confused that the SN95 was a Mustang. If Ford were to build a "new" SN95 style. Then so be it.
Old 7/28/12, 02:00 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I dunno, I like the cap - then again I did meet Flava' Flav' at a mall in Hampton Va and I've been a fan of PE since high school (yeah I carbon dated myself there).
Old 7/28/12, 02:12 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yahhhh boiiiiiiiiiii

I guess it all depends on how they work it in.

Interesting if its the jag-like placement and only the running pony.
Old 7/28/12, 06:10 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I prefer the cap of the bumper lettering. I wouldn't mind seeing the cap updated and modernized. The running pony could be interesting if done right.
Old 7/28/12, 07:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
I think Ford has to do some brand new special editions too that are truly bad ***. If Ford wants to stay current I think they really need to move towards the Evos/Fusion styling and skip some of the Focus accents. They need to attract a larger Market and get back the youth market they had in 1964 when the Mustang first came out. It is what has helped carry the Mustang through all these years IMO.

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang Articles