Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Wanting the OEM nav.

Old 7/6/12, 07:26 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if that's the same guy that had just the bevel listed? Because he didn't have anything else listed. That's going to be a lot of work.
Old 7/6/12, 07:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jim010
Sorry if I come off short, but I getting asked the same question a little too often. I cannot afford $46 000, but I can afford $31 000. A couple thousand extra for a nav on top of that is still well under the price of a new car.

I'm not a newb to retrofitting or customizing, as KC can attest to.
Glad your mind has moved on to fabbing or retrofitting then. Won't be nearly as seamless as OEM but if you need a screen on your dash that bad... You gotta pay to play my friend.
Old 7/6/12, 09:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by crazietj
I wonder if that's the same guy that had just the bevel listed? Because he didn't have anything else listed. That's going to be a lot of work.
It is the same guy. Good deal for all the parts you are getting. The buyer will still need the amp, though. And he'll have to pull out his dash to put in the new harness. I assume that pulling out the dash is much the same as in the 05-09. I had to do it twice, and it's a real PITA.
Old 7/6/12, 01:02 PM

This may seem like a crazy idea since I now very little about this stuff. What if you took just the faceplate from the OEM navigation system and installed an aftermarket system with a detachable faceplate. I'm thinking you might be able to run a couple connectors from the detachable faceplate to the unit? Just a thought
Old 7/6/12, 01:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by rf22
This may seem like a crazy idea since I now very little about this stuff. What if you took just the faceplate from the OEM navigation system and installed an aftermarket system with a detachable faceplate. I'm thinking you might be able to run a couple connectors from the detachable faceplate to the unit? Just a thought
The problem is that the factory faceplate HVAC controls are for a dual climate unit, not a single. This is why dmhines couldn't get the nav bezel to work in his car.
Old 7/6/12, 02:40 PM

Thanks. I've read so many threads about the OEM navi that I fogot he bought one. This is a drag. I guess Ford didn't anticipate people wanting it after the fact.
Old 7/6/12, 05:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Considering how popular it is to retrofit parts on the 05-09, I don't know why Ford wouldn't have been aware of it?

In my 05, I put in the IUP panels, chrome door handles, the nav, ambient lighting, heated seats, power passenger seat ... . And I'm sure I'm far from alone in what I did.

Wake up, Ford!
Old 7/11/12, 06:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

So thse are currently the aftermarket options out there for us:
Attached Thumbnails Wanting the OEM nav.-nav2.jpg   Wanting the OEM nav.-nav3.jpg   Wanting the OEM nav.-nav4.jpg  
Old 7/11/12, 06:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Where did you get the last one from?

Anyone have any links to installing a tablet into the Mustang?

They are a bit cheaper then radios and have the ability to run Navigation in them correct?
Old 7/11/12, 07:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

For putting in a tablet, talk to this member: crazietj

As for the last pic, that is Alpine's own bezel that they make for the Mustang.

A tablet or Ipad can work, certainly, but I have many questions about them. Such as will Sync work on them? Do I need a data plan to use the GPS? Stuff like that.
Old 7/11/12, 08:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Alpine one isn't bad. It's same as Scosche but they ditched the LED display which looks much better.
Old 7/11/12, 10:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
The Alpine one isn't bad. It's same as Scosche but they ditched the LED display which looks much better.
I agree. Of course Alpine's new 8 inch nav certainly completes the look.

By the end of the year, I'm sure the competition will each have their own 8 inch screens available or coming.

I'm hoping that someone will come out with a head unit that has no buttons but is just a touch screen like an Ipad.
Old 7/12/12, 09:45 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to put a tablet in the main things you want to consider with the tablet is its options. You will want a tablet with GPS, and Bluetooth. If you don't tether a phone to the tablet then you will need a tablet with 3 or 4g built in. I tether my phone so there is no need for me to spend the extra money on a 3g tablet. The 3 or 4g or tether is for streaming Pandora, netflix,ext..and for the navigation and maps to work. I do not have sync so I don't need to Bluetooth to anything. If you are wanting sync you will want Bluetooth on on the tablet. You will be able to use it for volume, and change songs on your music player, and Pandora, but you will not be able to run navigation via sync. I can not confirm this, but from past experience, the factory Bluetooth paired to a phone only controls the volume through Bluetooth axillary input.

So if you want sync to control everything, your best bet is a head unit, with a Pac interface for sync.
Old 7/23/12, 08:46 AM
GT Member

Can anyone go over my list of itmes to make sure I am understanding what I need to complete my install? I'm trying to get it based on this trhead but wnat to make sure I understand what I am getting into.

I'm looking for nav, sirius, retaining Synch, and what the hell,, while I'm in there might as well put in a backup camera.

I have a 2013 Boss.

1. Nav radio (Kenwood one seems to get get reviews)
2. Sirius Module compatible with the radio. Sirius antenna
3. Backup camera
4. Wiring harness so steering wheel controls will work.
5. Schosche faceplate and wiring for controls such as AC etc.
6. wiring harness (i beleive it is from PAC) so that synch fucntions are retained. From looking at their site is seems if you have an exisiting LED board you dont need to use their's.

What else am I forgetting? Has anyone done a complete install with all these components? I cant stand having the Siriius radio I have now dangling about and I dont wnat to stick up a portable nav unit plus, might as well get some better sound as well.
Thanks for your help,
Jeff
Old 7/23/12, 10:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

On the surface, seems like you have the list right. Just need to research the unit you want to make sure it has what you want.

I'd recommend the 8 inch Alpine, though. And their bezel is the nicest as well.

Last edited by jim010; 7/23/12 at 10:01 AM.
Old 7/23/12, 02:15 PM
V6 Member

On the surface, seems like you have the list right. Just need to research the unit you want to make sure it has what you want.

Does the alpine still retain most of the functions like the sorche? Thats the first I've seen or heard of one from them.... looks great though
Old 7/23/12, 03:20 PM
GT Member

CAn you tell me which Alpine unit you are looking at and direct me towards a link if possible? Thanks again.
Old 7/23/12, 03:39 PM

Here's a link to Crutchfield for the alpine perfect fit. The Alpine HU is separate.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTXM...d-Mustang.html
Old 7/23/12, 04:01 PM

Also check out this link at Crutchfield:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500INEZ....html?tp=20217
Old 7/23/12, 07:41 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Summer67
Also check out this link at Crutchfield:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500INEZ....html?tp=20217

thanks for that. Crap. The price of the Kenwood was in the 800 range , This alpine is about $1500 and their dash kit is $599. Theirs comes with the steering wheel control adapter which the Schoshe does not. Its extra so the total price is about the same.
Ahh well. Looks like the budget just went up.
I wonder if theAlpine unit retains the synch with the appropriate adapter cable?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wanting the OEM nav.