Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Wanting the OEM nav.

Old 6/16/12, 10:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Wanting the OEM nav.

I have seen this discussed, but not for some time, so in case there is some new info out there, I ask again. Otherwise I guess I'll be pioneering this, as I have a few other retrofits.

I'm now in a position to get a 2012 Mustang. I can afford a used 2012 GT, but can't go to a new 2013, so looking for a new car is out.

Plenty of 2012 GTs out there for me to look at, but I want a coupe with the panoramic roof and the navigation. I want the oem, not aftermarket. Problem is, there are hardly any cars witht he nav. In fact, I can't find any.

Retrofitting a nav is something I hope is doable. I am no stranger to retrofitting, as I retrofitted pretty much every option on the 05 - 09 car into my 05 - and then some. I retrofitted my colour, the nav, ambient lighting, heated seats, power seats etc... .

I am certainlty willing to do this to the new car I get, just so that I have the options I want, but am hoping that there is more info out there since someone last posted in this thread?
Old 6/17/12, 11:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forget it. The cost would bring you in the range of getting a new 13. You need unit and its vin# coded. So you need the main computer out of the car it came from. I was told its not economically doable. Thats why I spent extra time and patience to find one. Be easier and cheaper to change whole car color probably.
Old 6/17/12, 12:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That's dissapointing.
Old 6/17/12, 12:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

What aftermarket options are there that compliment the dash? And is there any way to make the after market stuff work with SYNC?
Old 6/17/12, 01:01 PM
Cobra Member

I have been wondering this as well, will be watching this thread
Old 6/17/12, 02:06 PM

To make the aftermarket radio work with sync, you can use the ms frd1 adapter or the access frst adapter. Their both pretty pricey though. Right now their are only 3 dash kits out for the 2010+ mustang. Their are two metra dash kits out one is touch screen and the other is just a plain one. Their also is the Scosche touch screen dash kit. Hope this helps and good luck. Here is a video to the metra touch screen dash kit.
Old 6/17/12, 02:14 PM
GT Member

You can keep the factory sync functions with a module from Pac called the MS-FRD1 . As for the look, I don't care for it at all. The aftermarket nav sits all the way at the bottom of the center stack, and the buttons on the aftermarket bezel are cheesy looking at best on both the Metra and Scosche . There's a brand new Metra touch screen one on the market, but I haven't seen any pics of it installed yet: http://www.ebay.com/itm/METRA-99-582...item231c56a655

There's no way to make the factory one work yourself. In theory it would be possible if you could get all the harnesses and parts, but the dealers are not willing or able to program the car to work with it, and it won't work without the flash.

If you're patient, you will be able to find a 2012 with nav. It took us a couple months, and we had to drive 600 miles to get it, but it actually worked out great since we got a brand new demo with all the rebates for cheaper than a used one would have been.
Old 6/17/12, 05:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just having a hard time finding exactly what I want. Glass roof, Nav, manual, Torch red/Lava red or Kona blue.

Hard to find one with all this. I have almost given up on getting a manual in the colour I want, but I really want the glass roof and nav in 1 of the 3 colours.

Before I give up, I'm going to get the wiring diagrams this week to see if it is using the same harness - which I suspect it is.

If the harness is the same, then I can look into it further from there.
Old 6/17/12, 07:02 PM
GT Member

Trust me--I know what you mean. I was pulling my hair out trying to find a manual with nav. There are plenty of automatics, but manuals are unicorns loaded. Adding the glass roof to the equation, and that makes it nearly impossible. I have seen a few 2012 Shelbys configured that way, though. I almost bought a 2011 C/S with glass roof, 6mt, and nav, but the day before I went to pick it up, somebody else bought it. LOL

As far as making the factory nav work, I think you're SOL on that. I did tons of research myself because I was gonna do the same thing, and I kept reading about hitting the brick wall of getting it programmed to work in the car. Everybody that tried couldn't get a dealer to program the car to recognize the nav, so I just wasn't willing to spend all that money on getting the nav stuff unless I was sure it would work. If you can make it work and confirm it, be sure to post your success. You'll make a lot of people happy that are wanting to do the same thing.
Old 6/17/12, 07:10 PM
GT Member

How far are you willing to travel? http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...23916001&Log=0
Old 6/17/12, 08:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Unhappy

That's what I want right there.

Pickings are much better on yuor side of the border. Because I'm financing though, the banks won't lend me money to buy a car south of the border. And there may be an issue with warranty not being honoured? Not sure about that one.

I pretty much have to buy a Canadian car.

Old 6/17/12, 09:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hmm ... .

Found this:

http://www.scosche.com/consumer-tech/product/2255

I really like this. But I don't see were the heated seat buttons would go.

Looks good, though. I know you said you aren't a fan of this or the Metra, but this one is certainly nicer than the Metra.

I could be happy going with this option, if I could get tsomething to fill the double din that looked OEM.

Last edited by jim010; 6/17/12 at 09:19 PM.
Old 6/18/12, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Good Luck
Old 6/18/12, 12:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have my eye on this car:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Must...6706/?ursrc=pl
Old 6/19/12, 02:29 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jim010
Hmm ... .

Found this:

http://www.scosche.com/consumer-tech/product/2255

I really like this. But I don't see were the heated seat buttons would go.

Looks good, though. I know you said you aren't a fan of this or the Metra, but this one is certainly nicer than the Metra.

I could be happy going with this option, if I could get tsomething to fill the double din that looked OEM.
Haven't ever seen that one installed yet in any of the forums. I think you'd be the first. It looks like it supports heated seats. You just have to select that option when setting it up: http://www.scosche.com/ecom/download/FD1441B_SglPg.pdf

You'll also need the Pac MS-FRD1 and a Pac SWI-PS, SWI-JACK, etc. or the equivalent Scosche modules. There are lots of really nice double DIN nav head units available out there. For nav functionality, you can't beat the Kenwoods, but the Pioneers have decent nav and awesome features and menus. I'm not very familiar with Clarion, Alpine, etc. I usually stick to Pioneer and Kenwood.

The programming of the MS-FRD1 and the steering wheel control interfaces will make you want to pull your hair out if it's your first time, but if you're comfortable with electronics, you will eventually get it after about 20 tries. LOL

Good luck. Post some pics when you get it done. I always like looking at stereos. I've got 2 grand worth of amps, processors, and subs sitting on the living room floor myself. I need to get off my **** and get it installed. LOL
Old 6/19/12, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

You shoud look into that blue one its got what you want
Old 6/19/12, 11:51 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,858 Posts
You got my Curiosity Peaked on this one and I called my old Radio Guru from Back in the Day and He says this is a no go for an Oem Retrofit on a Stang. They had all the resources at hand to try. The system is tied in to the Dual Zone Air for crying out loud. Other model Fords not so much a Prob. But as always the Stang is unique. I pulled up some Service diagrams first and what a tangled web of interfaces.

KC
Old 6/19/12, 06:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey KC - been a long time.

Yeah, I got the wiring diagrams today. Just looking them over, but if your friend that is a guru has looked into this, then I suppose that is that.
Old 6/19/12, 06:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ssstang67
You shoud look into that blue one its got what you want
Being in the states, there are some issues. I'm hesitant to get an American car, but I am looking into it.
Old 6/20/12, 04:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wanted a fully loaded Manual car too ... could not be found .. so I had to order it ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wanting the OEM nav.